• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Montreal founder: "I heard rumours that Sony said they're really interested in [acquiring] Square Enix Tokyo, but not the rest."

Draugoth

Gold Member

He continues: "If I read between the lines, Square Enix Japan was not as committed as we hoped initially. And there are rumours, obviously, that with all these activities of mergers and acquisitions, that Sony would really like to have Square Enix within their wheelhouse. I heard rumours that Sony said they're really interested in Square Enix Tokyo, but not the rest. So, I think [Square Enix CEO Yosuke] Matsuda-san put it like a garage sale."

Nankatsu

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If they really do acquire them, it doesn't honestly impact Xbox that much. It's a loss for Nintendo though, who gets a lot of great smaller AA titles.

Nintendo should consider letting Monolith put out some smaller AA games and add a new team or something. And a lot of those games are made by studios outside SQEX that Nintendo might look into a closer relationship with. Acquire, Artdink, etc.

timmyp53

Is the merger aspect of this piece the only thing people are taking away from this? The quality of this article is great. I love games industry.biz.

I mean...is anyone surprised by this?
I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom is on the list as well. They are already doing mocap at Sony's studios and everything lmao

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Sony acquiring square changes the industry in 0 ways since they money hat all their games anyway. might as well so we stop thinking "when is x square game coming to xbox"...also doubt they take the games off the switch.

Marvel (and by extension Disney) are about to show what you can do when you put competent people in charge of your IP's (talking about the FOX IP's they got back). So no, SONY getting the prime and choice bits of SE IP's would not have "zero impact. . ."

Maybe if they literally did NOTHING with the titles.

Sony acquiring square changes the industry in 0 ways since they money hat all their games anyway. might as well so we stop thinking "when is x square game coming to xbox"...also doubt they take the games off the switch.
This is a war about getting IPs. Sony will want studios that have always been close to them. Square Enix is one of those cases.

Specially now they are all-in on subscription services. This isn't just about getting IPs. It's about others not getting them and have more to themselves (PSPlus in this case).

If square Enix is suddenly bought by Sony do you believe their games wouldn't leave gamepass as soon as those deals are done?

skit_data

Yeah, it all lines up pretty well with what have been speculated on here: Square Enix shedding parts of their studios that Sony have less interest in.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Dragon Quest would have to go to streaming or mobile. People aren't buying lots of PS consoles in Japan.

If the PS5 was the only place to get the latest mainline Dragon Quest, people will line up to buy it in Japan.

Hell by then Sony will have a "Slim" PS5 ready to go and do a Slim PS5/DQ bundle to own the country forever.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If the PS5 was the only place to get the latest mainline Dragon Quest, people will line up to buy it in Japan.

Hell by then Sony will have a "Slim" PS5 ready to go and do a Slim PS5/DQ bundle to own the country forever.
It wouldn't dethrone Nintendo in any way, whatsoever. That's a fantasy.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Disney has ran their IPs into the ground these past 3 years...

I never said 0 impact but 0 change.

Yes. Those poor suffering MCU movies that just can't rub two nickels together. The inevitable Fantastic Four/X-Men movies are just DoA at this point. /s

. . .honestly, if you legitimately believe that SONY getting their hands on FF and DQ (and other properties) and refocusing their usage in games, would have zero impact or change on the industry, then maybe you just don't understand the industry.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes. Those poor suffering MCU movies that just can't rub two nickels together. The inevitable Fantastic Four/X-Men movies are just DoA at this point. /s

. . .honestly, if you legitimately believe that SONY getting their hands on FF and DQ (and other properties) and refocusing their usage in games, would have zero impact or change on the industry, then maybe you just don't understand the industry.
Final Fantasy has already been locked in on Sony since FFVII. It's not much of a big change. FF doesn't have any big games on Xbox. Not much of a big change.

SQEX has lots of great AA games on Switch though. That's about the only major change in my opinion. PS is already a SQEX box, and has been since it launched.

ManaByte

Gold Member
People forget that in the US, SCEA published Square's first PlayStation games:

Tobal No. 1
Bushido Blade
Final Fantasy VII
Einhander
Final Fantasy Tactics
SaGa Frontier

iQuasarLV

Source article of all this information
Games Industry.biz

A nice tidbit in the source article, is that D'astous said that he believed SE was always blaming non Japanese games for under-performance. I remember when Tomb Raider first launched it sold 5 million copies (initially) on a reboot of a supposed burned out franchise (14.5 million todate), and SE went on record saying it under-performed. Yet Final Fantasy 15 sells 10 million copies of a game that took over 6 years to make and not a word of disappointment.

1. I think SE has a non-Japanese culture bias towards any foreign holding. It is not the first time they have thrown non Japanese studios under a bus. Especially when their own Japanese IPs under-perform and yet are never mentioned in the same breath as other IPs they own.
2. I think D'Astoous is on the right path believing SE wants to sell their soul to Sony and are willing to do anything to get that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom