• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge review scores issues #379(GoW:R, Pentiment, Sonic, CoD:MW2, Gotham Knights, etc.)

mansoor1980

Gold Member
God of War: Ragnorak.
giphy.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Not sure I can agree with that when TLoU, Bloodborne and Dreams all hit a 10 in that table above.

Exceptions and not the rule. Also, that doesn't show the lowball scores and that is what I am talking about.

At least the comments here aren't as bad as what some users were saying against that IGN Korea's reviewer.

Not sure which comments you are referring to, but that was a shit review and I'm not talking about the score. I posted quite a bit about how bad the actual written review was. It is ok to criticize reviews.

I don't know about that, based on Banjo's post above they seem to have given 10s to more playstation games than other console(s).

There are a lot more Nintendo games there than PlayStation games.

ungalo

In what fucking world is GOW:R a 7? I’m usually tolerant of Edge being a point below most others but that is fucking insane.

Great story.
Great gameplay.
Brilliant characters.
Doesn’t outstay its welcome.
Excellent sound design.
Excellent music.
Excellent camera work.
Some great surprises.

I can understand people not liking the loading masking but damn.
Perhaps they don't agree with your statements. That's the point.

Certinty

I'm like 1.5 hours in and man, I can't believe how bad some of the scenes are. Just Kratos being way over the top dramatic like he's about to start crying if his boy even speaks. It's just constant bickering. I do see what people were saying about the waves of enemies dropping in a bowl.

Thor's actor is really good. Really liked him in Sons of Anarchy. That's the highlight for me so far. The fight scene was pretty underwhelming though. Just kind of felt overly cartoonish, and I'm not a fan of the boss UI for glowing yellow / red circles. The boss enemies track you constantly as well since your mobility is so limited, you basically just have evades and that's it. Reminds me a bit of Elden Ring in that sense, but even less mobility. And I forgot how insanely close the camera is. Same as the last game but man, it sticks out after playing Bayonetta 3. I tried to look up at the sky at the frozen lightning after that fight and you can't even point the camera more than like 5 ft up. I'm getting burned out on Kratos going spartan rage because he loves his boy. Like, I get how that can land for some people but it's just not hitting for me and feels cheesy.
Anyway, I loved the first one so I'm expecting it picks up but so far I agree with your take.
The worst part is I'm about 10 hours further than you in the game and the bit you just mentioned has been the only highlight so far. The last three or four hours have genuinely been painful for me.

Are you 16 or something? Point and click adventures been around since forever. Just a couple of years ago Disco Elysium won major GOTY awards, and that game has a lot more going on than pentiment.
I can't follow your logic. How could anything I said make you think I'd be sixteen? I've been playing point'n'click adventures before they were point'n'click and just parser based. So I wish I were that young again. And the comparison to Disco was even refuted by Josh Sawyer as they are not that similar.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What IS Pentiment
It's a point and click style murder mystery investigation set in late medieval Bavaria (Germany). There's some minor exploration and a few mini-games, but most of it is dialogue with a lot of choice and variation in outcomes. The whole thing is designed to look like medieval illustrated artwork. Emphasizing the history of Christianity as well. For people that don't mind reading, and love history. Made by Obsidian, Fallout New Vegas director/writer. Will absolutely remain a niche game that's not for everyone.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not sure I can agree with that when TLoU, Bloodborne and Dreams all hit a 10 in that table above.

I started googling past review scores for Edge and seems they give low review scores for most games. I mean low as in a bit lower than metacritic typically. So I'm probably wrong in making it about PlayStation.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not sure which comments you are referring to, but that was a shit review and I'm not talking about the score. I posted quite a bit about how bad the actual written review was. It is ok to criticize reviews.

Yes, it is ok to criticize reviews whether its a 7 or a 10.

But I'm talking about the flippant hostility towards the reviewer from various gaffers, at least no ones devolved to that so far.

There are a lot more Nintendo games there than PlayStation games.

8 Nintendo and 10 Playstation games (both including otherwise multiplat games as well) in Banjo's post if I read it correctly.

Topher

Gold Member

That's a seven page thread. Do you have a specific example? I was in that thread and the only hostility I recall was that of some other people somewhere on the internet.

8 Nintendo and 10 Playstation games (both including otherwise multiplat games as well) in Banjo's post if I read it correctly.

I was talking about PlayStation first party games, but I clarified above that I am probably wrong there.

GHG

I have to say it's very entertaining witnessing the "muh gameplay" crowd latching on to this review in order to be critical of GOW, meanwhile these are the same people championing Pentiment which has no traditional gameplay to speak of.

Cognitive dissonance at it's finest.

MAX PAYMENT

Ragnarok can't get more than an 8 from me. I'm enjoying it but the scope is too limited these days, its really rigid and by the numbers, maybe 1 puzzle in 10 is truly interesting/challenging and combat is rote compared to the spectacle of the old games for me personally, I understand its an actual combat system rather than button mashing but i don't care. I have to accept I just prefer the old GoW game
Totally agree. Lack of enemy variety and story elements that get built up to end up nowhere really detract from it for me.

Interfectum

I have to say it's very entertaining witnessing the "muh gameplay" crowd latching on to this review in order to be critical of GOW, meanwhile these are the same people championing Pentiment which has no traditional gameplay to speak of.

GOW:R gameplay is definitely not where the game's faults are. When they allowed you to play the game it feels great.

shiru

Banned

Pentiment is not a stale cinematic blockbuster game trying so hard to be a hollywood movie. It's more like a visual novel from what I'm reading where you can change how the story develops based on choices you make. Not everyone likes nuGoW, cry about it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's a seven page thread. Do you have a specific example? I was in that thread and the only hostility I recall was that of some other people somewhere on the internet.

I mean, there's examples just a few posts into the first page. I'm not gonna scan all 7 pages to quote each, but you get the idea:

His review reads like a complete troll job, and he’s an actor in trash Korean tv so let me laugh at his pov of the father relationship writing.
A serious artist/director/writer/indie developer would never write a review for IGN, specially one where they trash other artists.
It’s bait and nothing else. The guy is an idiot.

That ain't it chief :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Holammer

I haven't played Sonic Frontiers yet, but the positive reactions and current Steam user score (95%) makes me wonder if they based that score on 15 minutes of the Switch version.

sainraja

As opposed to Pentiment where its just...
Talking
And some walking too :D ;)

--

People have different tastes and the audience of Edge might lean more towards those who have a 'different' taste in gaming. Nothing wrong with that.

I haven't completed Ragnarök yet (have put in 20 hrs so far though) and I have to disagree with some of the criticisms people are leveling at it but still everyone has the right to think how they want. I just wish they'd explain their opinions in a way where one could easily see why they feel that way — or have people forgotten how linear games use to be?

Ragnarök has the perfect blend of everything and a narrative that is interesting enough to pull you through.....so many games fail at this. So far in my play-through, I haven't felt like they have taken control away from me at random. I don't expect to be able to control during a cutscene and they have delivered narrative in different ways, sometimes I felt like they should have just done a cutscene but they let us have control and the characters around us would be talking. To each his own but can't say I can understand many of the criticisms I have read.

Also, the game is a sequel to 2018. It's not going to reboot the entire series lol. Just like God of War 2 didn't, it just gave us more of what we liked the first time around.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

…. What? One is a character action game and the other is an adventure game/visual novel. Come on.

Next time anybody criticizes some game’s gameplay I’m gonna respond like “oh… oh yeah, well you like Day of the Tentacle and that game doesn’t even HAVE gameplay, I’m trying so hard not to laugh at you right now!”

I mean unlike God of War it seems like Pentiment has a compelling narrative. It's fine for a game to be either really good at gameplay or really good at narrative, the problem is when a game is sort of mediocre at both (like God of War is)

Interfectum

And some walking too :D ;)

--

People have different tastes and the audience of Edge might lean more towards those who have a 'different' taste in gaming. Nothing wrong with that.

I haven't completed Ragnarök yet (have put in 20 hrs so far though) and I have to disagree with some of the criticisms people are leveling at it but still everyone has the right to think how they want. I just wish they'd explain their opinions in a way where one could easily see why they feel that way — or have people forgotten how linear games use to be?

Ragnarök has the perfect blend of everything and a narrative that is interesting enough to pull you through.....so many games fail at this. So far in my play-through, I haven't felt like they have taken control away from me at random. I don't expect to be able to control during a cutscene and they have delivered narrative in different ways, sometimes I felt like they should have just done a cutscene but they let us have control and the characters around us would be talking. To each his own but can't say I can understand many of the criticisms I have read.

Also, the game is a sequel to 2018. It's not going to reboot the entire series lol. Just like God of War 2 didn't, it just gave us more of what we liked the first time around.
GOW 2018 was a perfect blend of old school God of War, a bit of Metroid, a bit of Zelda mixed with Sony's cinematic (aka sad dad) presentation.

GOW:R has all of those things cranked up but nothing feels tuned properly. The pacing is off, the story is bloated, action to puzzle ratio is way off balance and it all feels more paint by numbers than the first one. The designer said the entire game was made using this mega-spreadsheet and you can definitely feel it. You can see where things are stitched together... oh here is combat part, two puzzle parts, ride animal part, story beat part, back to combat part, etc. The first game didn't feel like this as the parts were properly blended and randomized so you didn't notices as much. This game is very predictable in what gameplay part is coming next.

GHG

Pentiment is not a stale cinematic blockbuster game trying so hard to be a hollywood movie. It's more like a visual novel from what I'm reading where you can change how the story develops based on choices you make. Not everyone likes nuGoW, cry about it.

And this is where you're 100% missing my point. I have nothing negative to say about Pentiment, it clearly does what it sets out to do with excellence, and that is what games should be judged on (does it achieve what it set out to achieve, not whether or not it fits your tastes). I'm also yet to play it so have no basis upon which to critique it.

I'm just pointing out the fact that those who have claimed to live and die by "gameplay" are somewhat caught in a pickle here. There is nothing wrong with having eclectic taste but when you back yourself into a corner like they have it ultimately ends up looking a bit foolish.

I mean unlike God of War it seems like Pentiment has a compelling narrative. It's fine for a game to be either really good at gameplay or really good at narrative, the problem is when a game is sort of mediocre at both (like God of War is)

A "mediocre" game doesn't get the reviews and fanfair that GOW has. Try again.

This is a bad take even by your standards. Do better.

And you clearly have nothing at all so say. Take your own advice.

The people who are getting upset by this know I'm talking about them.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I started googling past review scores for Edge and seems they give low review scores for most games. I mean low as in a bit lower than metacritic typically. So I'm probably wrong in making it about PlayStation.
They actually use the full 1-10 scale which is nice.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
In what fucking world is GOW:R a 7? I’m usually tolerant of Edge being a point below most others but that is fucking insane.

Great story.
Great gameplay.
Brilliant characters.
Doesn’t outstay its welcome.
Excellent sound design.
Excellent music.
Excellent camera work.
Some great surprises.

I can understand people not liking the loading masking but damn.
Imo, because all of those elements are literally being dragged through a crevice every ten steps.

But to go further, the characters weren’t all that brilliant and the gameplay pacing brought the whole thing down.

Too many puzzles. I like puzzle-games but I don’t want puzzles to be 1/3rd of the GoW experience, alongside climbing and combat. I think combat deserves a larger chunk of the pie.
It’s also a matter of quality - the puzzles aren’t brilliant enough to be sprinkled so heavily throughout. Many of them are just carried over from the last game.

They also sort of break immersion, in the way they limit the capabilities of Kratos. I get why Nathan Drake needs to find a lever to lower a bridge, and doing so as him helps immerse you in his adventure. Why Kratos can’t just jump across. I have no clue. Yes, it’s a game, but they want us immersed in this world and journey, so context like this matters.

Characters had really trite dialogue, imo. Their personality and their humor didn’t fit within the world. Why were they making puns about identity theft? It doesn’t lend itself well to this world, imo.
They are constantly slowing you down with dialogue or exposition and I don’t think it’s justified in the way it steals so much time from the actual engaging elements of the game, like combat.

If the story were fantastic, I’d go for it, but it’s not. It’s just…okay, with great voice acting, so it ends up feeling like a waste of time.
Oh, and don’t forget the constant rowing, or the teleporting, which is a multi-step process every time.

The combat has issues too but it’s still a blast overall. I miss the arcade aspects of the old trilogy. They knew what they wanted to be an excelled at that. This feels like it’s trying too hard to mature something, needlessly, and failing.

Just my opinion in contrast to yours. I’m glad that you’re able to overlook my issues with the game and appreciate the package in it’s entirety. Enjoyment is subjective.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
A 7 for Ragnarök is about what i would give it.
3 for Sonic is a bit harsh tho lol.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Seriously, this would be like if some film reviewer criticized Hotel Transylvania 7 for not being very funny, and some triggered Adam Sandler fanboy responds “oh yeah? Well you gave Schindler’s a list a good score and that movie didn’t even have ANY jokes at all! Clearly you contradicted yourself. I’m really getting a kick out of your breathtaking cognitive dissonance”

SLB1904

Banned
Mediocre with a 94 on metacritic sold over 5mil copies in 2 days. So what does that make the xbox games release in past 20 years?

shiru

Banned
And this is where you're 100% missing my point. I have nothing negative to say about Pentiment, it clearly does what it sets out to do with excellence, and that is what games should be judged on. I'm also yet to play it so have no basis upon which to critique it.

I'm just pointing out the fact that those who have claimed to live and die by "gameplay" are somewhat caught in a pickle here. There is nothing wrong with having eclectic taste but when you back yourself into a corner like they have it ultimately ends up looking a bit foolish.
I didn't miss it. It was simply a bad point.

Gamerguy84

I don't even care about the 7 but then pentiment a 9 from everything I've seen and read. This is why I put no weight on video game journalism.

Weeb mag.

Top Bottom