• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge review scores issues #379(GoW:R, Pentiment, Sonic, CoD:MW2, Gotham Knights, etc.)

sainraja

GOW 2018 was a perfect blend of old school God of War, a bit of Metroid, a bit of Zelda mixed with Sony's cinematic (aka sad dad) presentation.

GOW:R has all of those things cranked up but nothing feels tuned properly. The pacing is off, the story is bloated, action to puzzle ratio is way off balance and it all feels more paint by numbers than the first one. The designer said the entire game was made using this mega-spreadsheet and you can definitely feel it. You can see where things are stitched together... oh here is combat part, two puzzle parts, ride animal part, story beat part, back to combat part, etc. The first game didn't feel like this as the parts were properly blended and randomized so you didn't notices as much. This game is very predictable in what gameplay part is coming next.
I still have more to go through in the game but my impression of it does not align with yours or there is nothing you've said that I also felt about the game playing through it so far but I appreciate you going into detail about your opinion.

SmurfMustard SmurfMustard

Like I said, you have nothing to say, so much so that I'm unable to even quote your latest post because it contains nothing that you've said.

A visual novel/click and point game like Pentiment doesn't have any traditional gameplay. That's just how the genre is, that's not a critique.
Since when are point and click adventures not considered "traditional gameplay"? That's a weird take.

sainraja

…. What? One is a character action game and the other is an adventure game/visual novel. Come on.

Next time anybody criticizes some game’s gameplay I’m gonna respond like “oh… oh yeah, well you like Day of the Tentacle and that game doesn’t even HAVE gameplay, I’m trying so hard not to laugh at you right now!”
You are completely missing the point he is making.

SLB1904

Banned
Since when are point and click adventures not considered "traditional gameplay"? That's a weird take.
marvel-is-it-though.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
SmurfMustard SmurfMustard

Like I said, you have nothing to say, so much so that I'm unable to even quote your latest post because it contains nothing that you've said.

A visual novel/click and point game like Pentiment doesn't have any traditional gameplay. That's just how the genre is, that's not a critique.

G, on one hand you're calling out people for daring to complain about Ragnarok's game play and agreeing with Pentiment's scores as some kind of cognitive dissonance.

On the other hand you're praising Pentiment as a point and click game "but that's exactly the kind of game Pentiment is and it should be received as such so it's ok".

People who are all about "muh gameplay" can also enjoy a good point and click story based game that doesn't require 50 hit combos.

You're all over the place :p

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Some people seem angry. I understand someone dared to criticize Ragnarok and you just have to throw a temper tantrum. Even worse Pentiment got a higher score. I mean, how could they?
I'm guessing most of you haven't even tried Pentiment. Maybe you might then understand, why a game looking nothing like the flashy, with all bells and whistles 3rd person action game, could score higher. If you want to give it a go, you just need a browser and you can try it on Xcloud.
Did you play GoW Ragnarok?

GHG

It's not a weird take. Those games are more passive in nature and are not predominantly input driven. They are more experiences than they are videogames.

People who are all about "muh gameplay" can also enjoy a good point and click story based game that doesn't require 50 hit combos.

Exactly, hence "forced walking", "cinematic walkie talkie" or any crap to that effect that's been thrown around on these forums from your mates are not valid criticisms, especially now that they are being told to like games with even less interactivity than those which they can't help but critique despite having no basis upon which to do so. Glad we could clear that up.

I know you like to turn a blind eye to what gets said but this is rich, even by your standards.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I started it last night. Got through the first major boss fight. I love talking about what game I'm playing but I'm even hesitant to post in the OT about my impressions so far. Just barely seems worth it. I feel like no one is going to even believe me, or call me a troll or something. But so far, I'm not that into it. Obviously very early still.
No it's fine we don't need another DenchDeckard DenchDeckard to shit up the thread. I always confused you both. You both have the same shtick with anything Sony-related. So fucking transparent.

SLB1904

Banned
G, on one hand you're calling out people for daring to complain about Ragnarok's game play and agreeing with Pentiment's scores as some kind of cognitive dissonance.

On the other hand you're praising Pentiment as a point and click game "but that's exactly the kind of game Pentiment is and it should be received as such so it's ok".

You're all over the place :p
Nice to see this change of heart from xbox fans. No more snarky movies, walking Simulators, no gameplay comments
We won

Hobbygaming

The marvel movie quips and killing time comments are apt. I mentioned this in my comments in the review topics as well that the game has a pacing problem. The second half and a lot of Atraues's stuff could have done with a lot of editing.
I think people are reaching with the Atreus criticisms. There was one area (IW) where I can at least understand the pacing comments

Everything else is fire especially if you've been following the story from the 2018 game

At least they dont overrate games and are a bit more grounded, even if i dont always agree.

I think Ragnarok is epic and would score it higher but I love the whole vibe and setting, gameplay wise it isnt pushing any boundaries so can see their point.

Entropy Center I would rate higher as well, I thought it was very clever and some of the puzzles short circuited my brain and seemed impossible at times, but when they click it all seems so obvious, a sign of a good puzzler for me
So GoWR is not pushing any boundaries gameplay wise, and a game where you have to push a button once to move in a while and reading tekstbaloons for most of the time and pick one of the options to answer is pushing boundaries?And you know what game i mean.
So you dont think Pentiment deserves a 9.0? Edge beiing Edge again, they will never change.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think people are reaching with the Atreus criticisms. There was one area (IW) where I can at least understand the pacing comments

Everything else is fire especially if you've been following the story from the 2018 game

His segments, especially the 2nd one, lasts way too long. A lot of segments in the game last extra long, probably a side effect of their need to have everything in-camera all the time, hence a lot of traversing through barren areas to load the next set piece.

The in-camera perspective also severely dampens the effect of the final push, it's supposed to be a grand MCU style final fight but comes off like a little bit of a wet fart cause you're very rigidly locked to only one perspective.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's one of those months where they're a bastion of objectivity at the same time. The definitive and most important reviews of the year, even. Fuck the collated rest.
I don't think anyone's saying that. The reviews are just good for sparking discussion.

I don't agree with their Sonic review or their Somerville review. But I don't need to smear shit all over the walls and start losing my mind over it.

shiru

Banned
It's not a weird take. Those games are more passive in nature and are not predominantly input driven. They are more experiences than they are videogames.

I know you like to turn a blind eye to what gets said but this is rich, even by your standards.

Exactly, hence "forced walking", "cinematic walkie talkie" or any crap to that effect that's been thrown around on these forums from your mates are not valid criticisms, especially now that they are being told to like games with even less interactivity that those which they can't help but critique despite having no basis upon which to do so. Glad we could clear that up.
Lack of 'real' gameplay isn't a knock against visual novels, as it comes with the genre. It's a different type of interactivity, which I don't really hate. I have played and enjoyed point and click adventure games in the past. Nothing stops "muh gameplay" people from enjoying such games. Action games being so narrative driven to the point it detracts from gameplay are another story.

Hobbygaming

His segments, especially the 2nd one, lasts way too long. A lot of segments in the game last extra long, probably a side effect of their need to have everything in-camera all the time, hence a lot of traversing through barren areas to load the next set piece.

The in-camera perspective also severely dampens the effect of the final push, it's supposed to be a grand MCU style final fight but comes off like a little bit of a wet fart cause you're very rigidly locked to only one perspective.
I disagree with your whole comment lol Atreus whole story ark and the prophecies was interesting as fuck and everything leading up to Ragnarok and the final battle was epic

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think anyone's saying that. The reviews are just good for sparking discussion.

I don't agree with their Sonic review or their Somerville review. But I don't need to smear shit all over the walls and start losing my mind over it.
It's a counter to the reductive post.

I'm just glad people who wore out the memes of "walking sim" "movie games" "visual novel" etc, now enjoy said games. Can't WAIT for Hellblade 2's cinematic aventure!

Mediocre with a 94 on metacritic sold over 5mil copies in 2 days. So what does that make the xbox games release in past 20 years?
My only home console since 1995 has been the latest PlayStation. I have never owned an Xbox console in my entire life you absolute dumbass. Returnal alone is better than every Xbox exclusive since the 360 era combined. God of War and Horizon still suck.

ungalo

Hmm, turn based games are not input driven. I'm not sure this is the good way to phrase it.

But otherwise yes, Pentiment is not a RPG, and it's not even really a traditional point & click, there's no puzzle to solve (except let's say one or two very little ones but they're not even mandatory) or anything like that. It even has very limited branching and choices to make. I'd say the term "interactive book" is simplistic but fair to qualify it.

But honestly what people are saying about Sony games, it's more about the template than anything else, and its effects on the industry. There's an entire context surrounding it. Pentiment is a unique proposition. This topic would need a much deeper explanation than just a dichotomy gameplay/not gameplay.

By that logic anything that's not action oriented gameplay is not traditional gameplay? So anything where you solve puzzles isn't traditional gameplay? I'll stand by what I said, that's a weird take. I'd consider puzzle solving, be it through inventory puzzles or dialogue puzzles, traditional gameplay.

Chukhopops

to me pentiment seems similar to good bye volcano high , game design wise.
wonder what score that will get on EDGE next year
How much do you even know about GVH’s game design? The only gameplay shown in the trailer is some kind of rythm game. I doubt there’s going to be a murder mystery or that the game features a ton of research about dinosaur dating habits.

Weird take in a thread full of weird takes.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You are completely missing the point he is making.
No I’m not. It’s the same old

OH NO someone gave a game I like a bad score! I can’t just say “I disagree with this review” and move on with my life! Instead I’m gonna scrutinize this review and all their other reviews for some perceived hypocrisy or inconsistency so I can declare this review to be INVALID and stricken from the record.

Same fanboy bullshit since the beginning of online message boards.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
How much do you even know about GVH’s game design? The only gameplay shown in the trailer is some kind of rythm game. I doubt there’s going to be a murder mystery or that the game features a ton of research about dinosaur dating habits.

Weird take in a thread full of weird takes.
it SEEMS similar

Freeman76

So GoWR is not pushing any boundaries gameplay wise, and a game where you have to push a button once to move in a while and reading tekstbaloons for most of the time and pick one of the options to answer is pushing boundaries?And you know what game i mean.
So you dont think Pentiment deserves a 9.0? Edge beiing Edge again, they will never change.

I havent played Pentiment so how can I comment on it? The rest of your post is straight up bollocks so I wont even get into that.

Kacho

Most Sony titles are videogames for people that hate videogames.
They just doubled down on making experiences that appeal to european gamers, hence nu-GoW. They don't like violence or jump buttons, they like SingStar and cinematic shit. Jim Ryan spoke on this years ago.

“It’s a franchise that has historically acutely underperformed in Europe,” Ryan said. “Hack and slash games tend to not do so well in Europe, so the narrative this time around will make a big difference. European gamers love narrative games.”

sainraja

Lack of 'real' gameplay isn't a knock against visual novels, as it comes with the genre. It's a different type of interactivity, which I don't really hate. I have played and enjoyed point and click adventure games in the past. Nothing stops "muh gameplay" people from enjoying such games. Action games being so narrative driven to the point it detracts from gameplay are another story.
The group he is referring to knows who they are. There is no point in defending the people that level criticism as he was describing. But yes, people can enjoy both types of games and I don't think he is talking about them.

SLB1904

Banned
My only home console since 1995 has been the latest PlayStation. I have never owned an Xbox console in my entire life you absolute dumbass. Returnal alone is better than every Xbox exclusive since the 360 era combined. God of War and Horizon still suck.
That's not what I ask.your opinion is fart in the wind stinks for a bit then goes away. This is hard data we talking about

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Exceptions and not the rule. Also, that doesn't show the lowball scores and that is what I am talking about.

The data doesn’t support this. Edge gave TLOU 2 and Uncharted 4 9/10 scores. Spiderman was 8/10. Demon Souls - 9/10

Three

Pentiment is not a stale cinematic blockbuster game trying so hard to be a hollywood movie. It's more like a visual novel from what I'm reading where you can change how the story develops based on choices you make. Not everyone likes nuGoW, cry about it.
David cage is seething that his high budget murder mystery game was called a movie by the same fools praising this "changing story based on choices you make" gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom