• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Boon Poll: "Affordability more important than games or graphics for future PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X owners"

brian0057

Banned
A console with an MSRP of $500 or more is DOA.
At that price point, I can build an entry level gaming PC that also allows do things other than gaming... like making money to build a better PC.

stickkidsam

Not surprised. Graphics look fine already, exclusive games just make you miss out on the other consoles library, and while I'd say backwards compatibility is a VERY important cornerstone to gaming I doubt the average Joe is gonna care about the history until they can't play their favorite older games.

Gaming isn't cheap and everyone appreciates cash.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And what goes best with an affordable system that sells lots of units?

A 30 year old fighting game franchise called Mortal Kombat: Rehash Edition

Last edited:

sendit

At that price point, I can build an entry level gaming PC that also allows do things other than gaming... like making money to build a better PC.

Let’s not kid ourselves.

I would be surprised if you could build a PC at 500 that is going to be more graphically capable than a PS5 or XBSX at launch.

brian0057

Banned
Let’s not kid ourselves.

I would be surprised if you could build a PC at 500 that is going to be more graphically capable than a PS5 or XBSX at launch.
I never said it was graphically superior. My point is that a PC is more than just a gaming only machine.
You can do actual work with it and gain actual legal tender to buy stuff... like next gen consoles or a better PC.
Therefore, it's the better value.

The console with more youtubers on its side,will sell more and get more popular. That's it. And the console with more youtubers covering it will be the one that highlight what youtubers are says what is "important".
I don't know what they say because I don't watch YouTube, but I know that all casual are influenced by then.
Even with a 100,150 dollar difference in price, people are going to buy the console that XxgamerProfunplaykids talk and play.

That's why backwards it's high on the list, no one uses, but youtubers say that this is good

Last edited:
I would happily pay a premium for a console that gives me otherworldly performance, runs quiet enough with good build quality and most importantly will be able to provide me stable framerates with proper components (i'm looking at you pissant Jaguar CPU).
Anyone wanting a massive leap over current gen and also expecting cheap price needs to lay off the drugs. You get what you pay for.

sendit

I would happily pay a premium for a console that gives me otherworldly performance, runs quiet enough with good build quality and most importantly will be able to provide me stable framerates with proper components (i'm looking at you pissant Jaguar CPU).
Anyone wanting a massive leap over current gen and also expecting cheap price needs to lay off the drugs. You get what you pay for.

Agreed. I would pay upwards of ~1000 for a new console.

fallingdove

So 86,8% of the 50 000 people who voted in that poll are the "Xbox crowd" as well? Because they obviously think exclusives are the least important thing when picking a console.

Btw all the best selling games on the PS4 are multiplats. Don't know why you seem so shocked by the results of the poll.

So they came for God of War and stayed for Call of Duty and Assassins Creed and Overwatch, what’s your point?

Your evidence against the importance of exclusives is just as anecdotal as anyones...

Bkdk

Most people just wanna continue to play the few games they are currently playing. Sony is on point putting so much focus on the price. Those who want more graphics and power will go for PC.

AGRacing

I want to see this pole but only verified day one console buyers are allowed to participate.

Priority 1 pricing folks will get their day on Black Friday 2022 or whenever.... they’re not part of the group that gets the console off the ground... they’re part of the group that takes the machine into the mainstream later.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So they came for God of War and stayed for Call of Duty and Assassins Creed and Overwatch, what’s your point?

Your evidence against the importance of exclusives is just as anecdotal as anyones...
A lot of posters are going to pull a nice 180° about exclusives and their importance in a year or two from now (the fact that XSX will have big first party exclusives around that time is surely coincidental :rolleyes:)... ;).

wolffy71

Banned
At this point in everyone's gaming life how can anything be more important than playing on the console ur friends are on. If im playing COD, im favoring playing with my friends from my friends list a lot more than frame rate, graphics, controllers, whatever.

sunnysideup

Banned
Morons.

You cant isolate one feature and say its the more important one above all else.

Its all about the context and competition.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
500 USD pc is a myth. It is a garbage machine that can barely do ps4 level of games. And that's without windows, peripherals, monitor etc. pc gaming is extremely expensive and I think it is undeniable.
500usd is a good console price. 500usd is so little, it's not enough even for a oneplus phone now. It's very mid range in smartphone world and people drop this kind of money every year or two.
Even valve index is 1000usd

sdrawkcab

Banned
"Affordable" is subjective!

This would have been more conclusive if he put actual price-points. But then again, the majority of people will naturally vote for the cheapest one, without a mention of features, specs, etc.

I find it funny that affordability and plays last gen games are the leading options. You can literally just play last gen systems then and save money. I think with cross-compatibility and backwards compatibility that is the goal of particularly Microsoft. Sony too except apparently they will have exclusives solely for the PS5. Regardless, I feel like affordability is a stupid aspiration if you want consoles to have a long life span. Otherwise just stick with the current crop of consoles because to keep them affordable they're not going to be much of a leap.

JTCx

Hardcore fighting game player here since Street Fighter 2 and MK11 is one of the best fighting games this gen hands down.
If you look past its visuals and presentation, mk11 is not a very good competitive fighting game. Even the mk community itself is not happy with this game. Theres a reason the fgc is rejoicing after it has been denounced at evo.

Tomeru

Saying people dont buy ps4 for exclusives is like saying people dont buy xbox. There is some truth to it but there is much more hyperbole to this say.

And this comparison to nintendo as far as exclusives go - its out of whack. Most of the switches library is games you can only play on that console. And so is the case with all of their consoles. They are as exclusive as it gets. A comparison between them and the other two is skewed (sp?) at best.

When you have two consoles who offer you mostly the same experience, one of the major selling points would be exclusives. Even if you decide not to buy an exclusive - you still have that option.

Everyone would eat up the new console at 500$. I find it hard to believe some actually believe its a factor working against ms and sony.

Last edited:

MaxB

Banned
Give me 60fps and 1080p as a standard and I'm happy. Don't need RTX . 60FPS standard and a greater focus on AI/Physics is what'll truly sell me on these new consoles.

BeardGawd

Banned
If you look past its visuals and presentation, mk11 is not a very good competitive fighting game. Even the mk community itself is not happy with this game. Theres a reason the fgc is rejoicing after it has been denounced at evo.
I'm sorry but this is complete bullshit. MK11 is Loved by the vast majority of the community and those that don't like it typically boil down to not wanting to learn all the new mechanics in play or not wanting to give it a chance in the first place.
Most people are baffled it's not at EVO given last year's entrants for MK11 were the highest of any MK game ever and viewership higher than the majority of the games that made it this year:

The game was balanced and tailored for esports. It's truly one of the most balanced fighters I've played. There are offensive and defensive options to counter pretty much anything in the game. It just takes a lot of time to learn all the mechanics. NRS is hosting their own tournaments so it's all good in the end.

Kenpachii

already said it multiple times, price is the most important factor for those boxes sales hardware in it doesn't matter as long as its a step forwards.

oagboghi2

The console with more youtubers on its side,will sell more and get more popular. That's it. And the console with more youtubers covering it will be the one that highlight what youtubers are says what is "important".
I don't know what they say because I don't watch YouTube, but I know that all casual are influenced by then.
Even with a 100,150 dollar difference in price, people are going to buy the console that XxgamerProfunplaykids talk and play.

That's why backwards it's high on the list, no one uses, but youtubers say that this is good
The switch kills this theory

I fit in well with the respondents. The most important factors for me are that the PS5 is backwards compatible with the PS4 (further would be nice, but not expected), and that I be able to “afford” it. I put “afford” in quotes, because, let’s face it, it is going to be a dent in my wallet no matter what.

Ten_Fold

Pricing is soo important for next gen. A $100 difference can mean alot. Moms buying new systems for kids will spend less if they can do similar things.

Already SF Vs. MK in this thread.

Is it? What facts are there to back that up? There are zero exclusive games in the top 10 best selling games of the generation for either console.

To be fair, I don't think we have gotten a top best selling games list for either console that actually contains sales units.

JTCx

I'm sorry but this is complete bullshit. MK11 is Loved by the vast majority of the community and those that don't like it typically boil down to not wanting to learn all the new mechanics in play or not wanting to give it a chance in the first place.
Most people are baffled it's not at EVO given last year's entrants for MK11 were the highest of any MK game ever and viewership higher than the majority of the games that made it this year:

The game was balanced and tailored for esports. It's truly one of the most balanced fighters I've played. There are offensive and defensive options to counter pretty much anything in the game. It just takes a lot of time to learn all the mechanics. NRS is hosting their own tournaments so it's all good in the end.
Its disingenuous to think the people who dont like mk11 are the ones who just refuses to learn. There are many capable players and also former top nrs players who express their grievances with the game. Heck theres now groups of players that went back into mkx or injustice 2 because of how disappointing mk11 is.

Every nrs game has had an evo showing every year for at least 2 years and every 2nd year its entrants numbers drop as well as viewers. Their games always peak at 1st year with it obviously being a new game. Even then they got beat out by samurai shodown which is a very niche franchise.

Mk11 isnt more balanced than any other fighting game thats out. Being balanced and esports does not equate to being good or fun. The game is a bore to watch and the lack of depth is not making it fun for alot of players. Every tournament after evo had low amounts of entrants n viewers.

It doesnt take a whole lot to learn this game. This game doesnt have a whole lot of depth. It was pretty much figured out in a few months, its so barebones. Balance problems like 6f low pokes thats barely minus, characters not having fast mids sucking, messy wakeup system, uneven distribution of krushing blows, fatal blows, the breakaways, etc. Theres a myriad of problems with this game.

Its cool if you like the game but the majority of the fgc doesnt. It doesnt survive its 2nd evo year and with the rest of the fgc being happy thats its excluded. Nrs can go ahead and do their own thing but their games wont be getting the respect amongst other peers if things dont change.

Humdinger

People who put "price" as the most important factor are probably not the type of people who'll be early adopters of next gen consoles. If price is that important, they're probably the type who'll wait a few years for prices to drop, before they jump in. Which is fine, but it's sort of like when election polls focus on a general audience, rather than people who'll actually show up and vote. You've got a lot of people voting in the poll who aren't going to be buying a next-gen console, at least not in the first few years. At least that's my read on it.

I'd be more interested in the opinions of people for whom price is NOT the most important factor, since those people are the ones who're most likely to be making a purchase in the first couple years.

Is it? What facts are there to back that up? There are zero exclusive games in the top 10 best selling games of the generation for either console.
Why do you need all-time statistics to prove my case? My case is the fact that exclusive games are always in the top 10 NPD results (because otherwise what's selling these systems?), not including digital mind you, on a monthly basis. The "ma install base" argument against exclusive games is pathetic.

People who put "price" as the most important factor are probably not the type of people who'll be early adopters of next gen consoles. If price is that important, they're probably the type who'll wait a few years for prices to drop, before they jump in. Which is fine, but it's sort of like when election polls focus on a general audience, rather than people who'll actually show up and vote. You've got a lot of people voting in the poll who aren't going to be buying a next-gen console, at least not in the first few years. At least that's my read on it.

I'd be more interested in the opinions of people for whom price is NOT the most important factor, since those people are the ones who're most likely to be making a purchase in the first couple years.

You saw what being an early adopter meant this generation, let's see if the console manufacturers repeat those same mistakes. The question is, should consoles really be that expensive? Success of hardware sales matter too, do we really think that the PS4 would be selling like hotcakes as much as it is now if it launched at $500? $400 is the perfect middleground for hardware and value, $300 is the perfect minimum, and $500 is the perfect midway for premium iterations.

As if people actually care about what degenerate PC YouTubers have to say about consoles' "weakness", at least that's a particular demographic that I think about when it comes to comments that are similar to this.

Last edited:
As if people actually care about what degenerate PC YouTubers have to say about consoles' "weakness", at least that's a particular demographic that I think about when it comes to comments that are similar to this.

Well, I cant talk about worldwide, but here in my country(brazil), youtubers are basically semi gods. People use YouTube like google. They search things like "best cellphone","best video game" and buy what the more famous youtubers says what's best.
I don't know much about other parts of the world, but I'm sure that here people follow this guys blindly, I think that soon one of then will become president.

Wait. Didn’t GAF tell me that exclusive games are the single most important reason to get a particular console?
Well, if graphics and exclusive games don't count that much why aren't people just playing their current and old consoles?

1 - It's cheap, they already own whatever current or old consoles they like
2 - Existing consoles already play their own games, this is like magic!
3 - The graphics aren't better on existing consoles, they are what they are now

So my guess is that people don't think this through very much before answering, people would never buy any new consoles if it were true.

Price is only important so long as the product is appealing, same goes for exclusives, they aren't important until you have Nintendo or Sony like exclusive lineups - who would even have a Switch if exclusives don't make a difference?

odhiex

Wait. Didn’t GAF tell me that exclusive games are the single most important reason to get a particular console?

Well, at least not for me.
Exclusive games are nice but definitely lower in my priorities. Price and power are the higher deciding factors.

Well, if graphics and exclusive games don't count that much why aren't people just playing their current and old consoles?

1 - It's cheap, they already own whatever current or old consoles they like
2 - Existing consoles already play their own games, this is like magic!
3 - The graphics aren't better on existing consoles, they are what they are now

So my guess is that people don't think this through very much before answering, people would never buy any new consoles if it were true.

Price is only important so long as the product is appealing, same goes for exclusives, they aren't important until you have Nintendo or Sony like exclusive lineups - who would even have a Switch if exclusives don't make a difference?
0 1st party title of PS4 charted on best selling game of the decade in US, EU, and Japan from 2013 to 2019, while Nintendo Switch games already charted when less than 3 years on the market.

Stop putting PS exclusive at the same tier as Nintendo Exclusive.

Current MSRP of HZD complete Edition is $20 and Zelda BOTW complete Edition is $80.

Not even at the same level, as Sony exclusives are given away for free for every PS4 not even a year after the released.

Top Bottom