• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC 4 Gets In-Game Ads a Few Weeks After Release

GamerEDM

Banned

EA Sports UFC 4 Gets In-Game Ads a Few Weeks After Release
EA has put in-game ads into EA Sports UFC 4 a few weeks after release, and its fans are not happy about it. Reddit user Ydino shared a clip of the in-game ads,which do seem intrusive, and they note that it was added "a month after it's [sic] release so it wasn't talked about in reviews."

Additionally, Ydino brings up that UFC 4 is a $60 game and not a free-to-play title that is using ads in lieu of charging the player an entry fee.This particular clip features marketing from Amazon's The Boys' second season. There is a full-screen advertisement during replays, its logo appears on the octagon, and it also appears above the timer on the bottom of the screen.

EA Sports UFC 4 was released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on August 14, 2020. In our review of UFC 4, we said "is a largely iterative sequel that tightens up some looser parts, makes a few smart tweaks here and there, and doesn’t rock the boat all that much. And in that sense, it’s a success. Longstanding problems still remain in the ground game and some dated visuals, but without any competition for the title, EA Sports UFC 4 still remains the king of combat sports."

At launch, UFC 4 did feature microtransactions in the form of an in-game currency called UFC Points. These UFC Points can be used to buy cosmetic items, but have no impact on the game. Additionally, there were brands featured on the octagon, but the full-screen ads recently seen were not.
Every IGN UFC Game Review

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to newstips@ign.com.

Adam Bankhurst is a news writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @AdamBankhurst and on Twitch.

Kdad

I'll say it time and time again. How come this game is not on PC but the American Football one is? UFC is a worldwide phenomenon.
First thought: "American Football"...like, what? Canadian Football doesn't have a big enough fan base.
Second thought: Ohhhhhhhh....you mean as opposed to "Euro Football"

INC

Nfd4mw2.jpg

avalonzero

The ad in the center of the octagon is fine. It adds a bit of realism even, but the full screen one and the constant ad above the clock are complete bullshit.

oagboghi2

Longstanding problems still remain in the ground game and some dated visuals, but without any competition for the title, EA Sports UFC 4 still remains the king of combat sports."

That's the problem with the entire sports genre in gaming right there. Every issue regarding quality and monetization boils down to that.

And until that changes, nothing will improve.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Seems like it’s making it even more like a real UFC broadcast.

I don’t even care. Don’t understand why people get so cranky about ads.

nochance

Banned
Keep buying them games console gamers. I have pretty much stopped buying full price games after the horse armor debacle. Anything with egregious practices I just ignore altogether or buy the cheapest code I can find/buy second hand.

xrnzaaas

Stealth inserting shady content a few weeks after release is a nasty practice. I wish that some of the major outlets responded and updated their big reviews accordingly... but who am I kidding, their reviews are often not honest in the first place.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Dangerous practice to sneak in, this is how these things start. Give them an inch and sooner, rather than later, it will be the norm. You can bet Activision and Ubisoft are watching this closely. It's also how they did it after review period and initial sales. Supposedly there added them to the older UFC as well.

Justin9mm

Seems like it’s making it even more like a real UFC broadcast.

I don’t even care. Don’t understand why people get so cranky about ads.
Give an inch take a mile.. Do you want to end up with ad breaks while playing an actual campaign/story game? Sure that may sound silly to you now but if people keep accepting this shit, they will see how far they can go and once something is accepted/becomes the norm, there is no going back!

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Give an inch take a mile.. Do you want to end up with ad breaks while playing an actual campaign/story game? Sure that may sound silly to you now but if people keep accepting this shit, they will see how far they can go and once something is accepted/becomes the norm, there is no going back!
It’s not going that far.

alienator

EA boardroom: Lets add annoying in-game advertisement one month after release and see if the dumb consumers still complain about huge advertisement ingame
One month later: everybody complains

EA: ok lets try it with our next sportgame

Portugeezer

During gameplay as well :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ads were added for optimal immersion and giving players a sense of authenticity like watching a real live UFC match on your TV.
Don't know if sarcasm, but also kind of true.
When you pay-per-view there's still ads and sponsorships every corner of the octogon and your TV screen, no one complains "Hey, I paid to view this fight, why does it have advertisements!?"

sobaka770

Banned
Does EA even have dev teams anymore? I feel like apart from Respawn and Bioware their studios are like 10 devs making yearly cash-in updates and 200 marketers jamming product in every single frame. It's shameless and scary. Own license to most sports games is a monopoly anti-capitalist scam and should not be tolerated. Especially as big organisations like FIFA, NHL, NFL basically have a stranglehold on 90% of the audience of the sport.

just scumbag EA doing scumbag things lol

Sure, they removed the ads now after the outrage, but sneaking the ads right after the review period was definitely planned from the getgo. Next time they'll prob wait a few more weeks before sneaking ads or some other bullshit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i don't mind if they do this when the game is about to launch,
makes it easy for me to ignore the game.

after reviews come out?
that is next gen fuckery

i will be sure to get whatever game they launch in the future only at 50% off or lower.

GreenAlien

If it was an optional alternative way to earn micro-transaction stuff (or make the game cheaper to purchase)..

I would say it's great.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

The point is that it will never get there because that would instantly tank the game and sales. People will not put up with that. That is intrusive. These are not.
People thought that once upon a time about the level of microtranactions too. It was a more extreme example I gave but my point is, you nor I do not know what is going to happen in the future. I'm not saying it will happen but you can't say it won't ever happen.

Top Bottom