• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is patenting a way to generate content based on play style

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The patent application, titled ‘Persona Driven Dynamic Content Framework’, was originally published in April (as spotted by Op Attack) and was re-published this month (as spotted by Exputer).

According to its description and supporting diagrams, the patent is for a system that “determines a player persona […] based on gameplay information for the user.”

It then, for example, “performs dynamic content generation or additional product recommendations based on the player persona.”

In an example diagram, a game may study how a player chooses to play a particular game and decide which ‘persona’ they fit into as a result.

Personas included in the example include ‘explorer’, ‘competitor’, ‘collector’, ‘support’, ‘combatant’, ‘tank/lead’, ‘commander’ and ‘completionist’.

After determining a player’s persona, the system can refer to it when choosing data to provide to the player.

One example given for this is in recommending other games. The system may access a player’s persona and compare it with the average personas of those who play a different game.

If these matches the player’s persona, it makes it more likely that they will like the game in question, so it will be recommended to the player.

The system could go beyond game recommendations though, and could actually effect in-game content, even that which is procedurally generated.

Another example shown in the patent application includes extracting a player’s persona and combining that with a game’s content creation algorithms to create ‘custom content’ based on their play style.

According to the patent’s description, a player’s persona may be used “to tailor the gameplay to either approximate or distance it from previous experiences.”

In other words, games may use a player’s persona to either make sure they get stages, puzzles or item drops that best suit their play style, or could potentially even do the opposite to take the player out of their comfort zone and provide more of a challenge.

Shifty

Mm yes, being put into a rigid and ill-fitting personality box by sociopathic corpo fucks. Exactly what I want out of gaming.

As if hijacking the term "gamer" and slathering it with edgy gack wasn't enough.

Last edited:
My cats name is EA and it keeps taking my money
CgapIVH.jpg

Soodanim

Gold Member
What people wish this was: if you play stealthy, it morphs into a stealth game

What this will actually be: if you play stealthy, they will try to sell you stealth things

I believe this won't be anything more than in-game cookies leading to targeted advertising.

That smells to "microtransactions catered to type of player" thing.

Can't one company just patent "videogames" and fuck everybody over. /s

The older I get, the more I'm attracted towards retro gaming and less to the future, and I've always been anti nostalgia

ZywyPL

Banned
So in other words, if I'm playing an online FPS, and I'm a guy that prefers cqc with SMGs/shottys, that's the kind of guns the store will recommend me? Sounds OK I guess.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Sneak peak on what they have so far after recording the playstyles of its regular customers.

DearestWillingBaiji-size_restricted.gif

Top Bottom