• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2021 Is Still Happening.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Entertainment Software Association has officially canceled E3 2020, but that doesn't mean the conference won't return. E3 2021 will still happen next year, but it's going to be a little different.

"We thank everyone who shared their views on reimagining E3 this year," the ESA said in a statement to GameSpot. "We look forward to bringing you E3 2021 as a reimagined event that brings fans, media, and the industry together in a showcase that celebrates the global video game industry."

The language the ESA used in its statement suggests E3 2021 could move to something more focused on the video game community than it does major publisher announcements. For this year, the ESA said it could be moving to a digital format to replace the traditional event.

Bakkus

If Sony returns, then the attendance this time is gonna be completely overcrowded. They have got to go back to press pass only.

EDMIX

No it’s not. It’s the best gaming event we have. Don’t know what you are talking about.

sure but that isn't even saying much.

The reality is, trying to have 100 plus games all announced in a few days doesn't even help some publishers.

RE2 reveal at E3 with hundreds of games announced the same day.

vs

RE3 reveal IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING WEEK WITH ZERO EVENT MAKING IT THE MEDIA CYCLES DARLING!

Keep in mind, RE3 remake was expected more then RE2 remake. Its clear trying to jam pack announcements on top of announcements sometimes has many titles getting lost in the media shit storm. If you are a publisher and have a new game, you want all eyes on you. What better way then to do it OUTSIDE of the "best gaming event"? We know everyone is at E3....that is sorta the problem with E3 bud. As someone that owns several small businesses, I can tell you most times you want to market in a way that allows you to exclusively market to a set demographic.

You don't want to be in a pool of 100 other fucking companies all marketing the exact same thing..... So even when I'm looking to make ads on Facebook, Instagram etc, I'm literally choosing zipcodes and demographics to set me apart, not jump in the pool using the same shit 100 other companies are using. Why? The point is to stand out, not be in a sea of everyone else marketing the same thing. So I 100% see why Sony left, I see why RE3 remake got more views, likes and was talked about more.

They also didn't have 100 other games to talk about that day too...so if you are Capcom, why pay MORE MONEY to be crowded with MORE announcements by others? If thats me, I'm making announcements randomly when its quite ALL THE DAMN TIME! I'm staying far away from events like this where I'm just spending more money to be lost in a sea of 100 other announcements. Look at how Call Of Duty or even Red Dead and GTAs are announced.

So E3 is dying because of social media. Because there already is a cheaper, faster way to get news spread out to millions if not BILLIONS of people very quickly. Thats like saying we needed to host some big event to give out information on the Covid-19 virus or something. Did we need Flu-Con 2020 for that? Plague Con 2020? CDC Fest? Soooooooo that is LIFE THREATENING, that is news that MUST be given to the public, yet no event took place that would take weeks to set up to deliver that news, let alone a video game....

The joke about this is that most of us just watch E3 on Youtube and Twitch....its ironically that funny. So we are watching cause we want game announcements, not cause its on a stage, live and in some physically place or something.

Top Bottom