• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2006: The REAL Party Begins! (who's going?)

ShowDog

The Take Out Bandit said:
Traci Bingham's last chance! :p

Haha, I got a pic with her at the 2004 show. I'll have to post it up later, cuz she totally wanted me. No joke.

Update: Here is the picture. As this was taken she whispered into my ear, "Your heart is beating so fast..." Uh, can you guess why? It was pretty obvious with her hand on my chest like that. Anyways, it was pretty sweet. Who thinks I could have hooked it up GAF?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Depending on how things pan out with work, I'll be going. Money and time shouldn't be an issue.

I don't think I played a single game for more than 5 minutes last year, and I didn't play more than a dozen games over the two days I was there (I missed the first day entirely thanks to the power outage fiasco).

I'm one of those that don't belong there, but having worked on a press site, I'd be more than happy to stand behind a revamped E3 registration process to weed those out who don't belong, even if that meant I wouldn't be able to go. That being said, depending on what's announced I may spring for a ticket so I can attend some conferences. I seem to enjoy that more than wandering the showfloor anyways.

At this point, E3 is more about me keeping in touch with the people I've met over the years, and as of last year, it's a place where I can meet with some of the industry folk I've met, in order to put my foot in the proverbial door of the industry.

I was really disappointed that I missed both GAF meetups last year, so I'm hoping there's another one this year. If so, I vote everyone buys their own crap so we don't have BC footing the bill again.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm really glad we got more footage of the new Zelda at E3 this year, but I wasn't totally happy, since what I REALLY wanted to see was Mario 128, and it didn't come :(.

Lousy Nintendo.

M3wThr33

Banned
This will be #7 for me! Whooooo!
And the first time GAF actually knows who I am.
me.jpg

Green Hat!

Also:
Set253_01.jpg

And... David Dayton singing the Pokemon Theme:

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I'm gonna try to go to gdc again this year instead but maybe that won't work out. Not sure yet, might end up going to e3 instead with the new consoles and all :)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
man How come you people get into E3 so easily? I thought that wasn't open to the public.

I wish i could go, would be sweet.

but as i aint working for a game mag i wont be able to get in i guess.
I will pull some strings to see if someone i know could help me out.

if someone here could get me in please PM :D
at night we go hunting for girls:)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Booked my room in Standard already in August. Should be best E3 ever. Very excited to see second gen 360 games, real PS3 games (I hope), reallife 360 vs PS3, play Revoution and see the inevitable DS SP. Oh, and Alan Wake will resurface of course and should be mindblowing.

Gaming on showfloor + press conf over wifi in terrace bar with a beer + evening parties + shopping in 3rd St Promenade + Venice Beach = Best week of the year

Acosta

Me.

But I hope this year organization cuts the "guest" numbers, last year was a pain trying to get any work done, too much people.

Right now I´m more excited for the fact that I won´t do any online work (unlike the last two years that were horribly tiring in that aspect), I hope I will have the chance to go some industry parties and knowing L.A a little better (because what I have seen has been really sad). Apart of that, of course I´m excited for next generation, but my hype-a-ton doen´t work so many months in advance for something, neither E3.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I might be there, depending on where im living, if not ill just be at TGS this year.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
This year's was soooo disappointing. I mean, online at least, I've never actually been. So I'm refusing to get excited this year. It seems impossible that it could let us down, but I said the same thing before E3 2005 (the old consoles, DS, PSP, 360, PS3, Revolution...it should have worked!).

I don't think I'd enjoy actually going (though I had the chance once). For a start it'd cost me shitloads to fly to LA, but I don't even like playing games I'm pretty certain I'll get when they're demos from magazines, I like to experience a game for the first time as a whole. So E3 would be even worst, and I enjoy the whole online side of things anyway. Especially blurry, half cut off logos in pics taken before E3 starts, where we try to work out what the game is and what exactly Jungle Beat means. Good times.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gonna try to go since I work in the simulation dept. of a defense contractor - different kind of 'gaming' than the ones you know, but still. What do I need, like a scan of my paystub and company credit card?

ok its done i am going to E3

i actually just spoke to a woman who works with E3 every year and she could get me in :D

now guys you have any hotels you recommend around that area?

i need links so i can log on and book a hotel room

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Everyone knows the real party is here on GAF!

The comfort of my own cushy computer chair. Getting fat on pizza and drunk on rum. Screaming at poor connections for the live conferences. Downloading 20 gigs worth of new trailers. And often seeing leaked media even before those attending the Expo.

I wouldn't trade all that for body odor, noise pollution, and bored booth babes.

border

"The REAL Party Begins!"
"this will be the best E3 ever"

People have been saying this every year for the entire generation. Anything exciting will require 1-2 hours wait, and somehow the publishers will manage to make it another snorefest that you don't even wanna bother with by the third day. ;)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Goreomedy said:
The comfort of my own cushy computer chair. Getting fat on pizza and drunk on rum. Screaming at poor connections for the live conferences. Downloading 20 gigs worth of new trailers. And often seeing leaked media even before those attending the Expo.

You're the sort of person who randomly reminds me how much I love Christmas in June, aren't you?

Bastards.

NordicWally1C

Neo Member
You mean _back_ in San Jose.
It's normally in SJ - they've tried moving it a few times now, but it was always worse.

E3 never has an "open" day during the show; E3 is supposed to be only for the industry types, every day. They tried having a TGS-style open day one year ....all the vendors basically packed up the night before. That's not what E3 is for, and US attendees are not like Japanese attendees (cue Wal-mart videos of Black Friday tramplings & fights).

E3 (like CES) is for two things only:
(1) Get store vendors interested in upcoming games. If they're lucky, the publishers will actually get pre-orders. Thus, E3 is about Sales. Although, now that the Wal-Mart buyers don't attend, it's slightly less so. That's why everything is so elaborate - corporate buyers mostly have no clue between games and wafflemakers. It's all just goods to them. So the E3 "circus show" is to get them excited. Plus, they actually bathe and brush their teeth every day.

(2) Get the press talking positively about the games. Unlike the buyers, these guys are sometimes too knowledgable <g> about games. They're the ones the PR/Marketing's artificial smiles (and artificial women) are really meant for.

Developers are not supposed to be there but are tolerated. The "assumption" is that they're demo-ing the games. Developers are really there to scam ideas from other companies, which is why some companies show certain titles behind closed doors or only show videos - they _are_ probably showing more, but only in a meeting room to select individuals.

Then there's the remainders, the non-industry folks who get in (much like the children that get in, even with the rule of No Kids).

Of course, then there's the reality of the show, which is that almost anyone can get in with a few trips to Kinkos if necessary.

Why don't the E3 people enforce the restrictions on who gets in, including who's legitimately a web press person (instead of just a personal website)? Because the E3 folks love high attendance numbers, because it makes good press. And they want to rub the numbers in CES' face.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
2005 was beyond disappointing - it was the worst E3 ever. It left me absolutely depressed. I, along with BeOnEdge, left after only being there for 2-3 hours each day. And then on the final day, I didn't even feel like going to that shit hole of an event, so I slept in -- meanwhile BOE was pretty much forced to go. Haha. :p

Four consecutive E3s in a row. 2005 was abysmal, 2004 was easily the best, 2003 was pretty lousy (but the Sony party ROCKED), 2002 was quite good. I'm done with E3, likewise I've been done with gaming in general for the past year now. I only dabble in the occassional racing game, and that's about it. Heh, I'm tempted to pick up an X360 just for PGR3 alone (seeing as how I was an insanely huge fan of the 2nd).

Yeah, no more E3s for me. Just a waste of money and time.

I went last year, and it was a blast. Probably going this year. But honestly, I missed the newsgroup/forum explosions about every little revelation. 3 days later, it's leftovers. You hardly get to talk about E3 'cause you're AT E3. Interesting paradox.

Bing147

Seeing as I've worked for a website online for 5 years (www.vg-force.com) I'm going to try and get in. We still don't have a business license though so I might have to buy that beforehand. Then I need plane tickets which I'll book WAY in advance, hotel, food, transportation, I need to save up a good 1000 bucks by May. Not too many games for me between now and then :(

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I dunno why everyone complains.

I had a great time last year.

I can't wait to go again this year - anyone know when the dates are now?

Red-eye flights and $18 a night hostels plus free showfloor admission FTW...

WindyMan

KarishBHR said:
How can I go?

Do i need some sort of press badge, if so how real does the badge need to be?

It's people like this that give the people that need to be at E3 a big headache.

pollo

Banned
Goreomedy said:
Everyone knows the real party is here on GAF!

I wouldn't trade all that for body odor, noise pollution, and bored booth babes.

amen. I think id have a difficult time jacking off to booth babes in front of em -- glad i can do that in front of my computer while browsing through GAF E3 threads and reading about the new shit Microsoft, sony and nintendo have too offer.

I got the best seat in the house :D

Dilbert

I've never been to the event itself, so I might be curious to go, but I have zero connections in the industry.

I would like to make the GAF meetup(s) this year, though -- I missed the infamous Cantina night, but had drinks with some other GAFfers later in the week, and had a blast.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
elostyle said:
Tell me more. That sounds dangerous.

No - it was awsome .

Stayed for 5 nights, at $18 a night. Just hung out with my buddies and these australlian guys and norwegan girls whenever we werent at the show. Was a drunken fiesta, and no problems at all - the rooms were nice too. It's just dorm-room style, the more people you agree to be in your room, the cheaper it is.

We were in a 6 bedroom room - but there was 5 of us, so we only stayed with one british guy randomly. Was fantastic.

We found a good place on www.hostelworld.com

Link

The Autumn Wind
Personally, I've only still been going the last couple of years to hang out with fellow Gaffers. It's a fun time, and is certainly worth the price of admission. Oh, I guess playing some games here and there is ok, too.

M3wThr33

Banned
FYI, if the meetup is in the sameplace as last year, you won't actually need a badge to hang out. The big lobby is open to all.

Top Bottom