• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2006: The REAL Party Begins! (who's going?)

Ark-AMN

Banned
I remember this past E3, everyone was hyped as it was thought that the new consoles would be a big feature. Of course, that turned out not to be the case (360 had only a few games, PS3 had a nice tech demo (Killzone), and REV had a shell). All in all, it was pretty underwhelming show IMO (I mean, the DS was the star for me).

Now, its 2006 (almost), and all of the big consoles are primed and ready to go. The 360 will have some great second generation games to show off (Too Human, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, etc.), the Playstation 3 will probably finally have some real games to show off as well. And of course, Nintendo will be showing us the first software to take advantage of that new controller. Man, I wouldn't miss this year for anything now.

If things go as they have been for Nintendo, then I expect them to have another "backstage" area where people will have to line up to see the Revolution (like they did with the DS two years ago and Zelda last year). I hope my press credentials will let me cut through this line because its going to be enourmous no doubt.

little over five months away now, who's preparing (plane tickets, hotels?)

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
arter_2 said:
can i get in as a student??

Student as in High School? Or as in College? Im assuming College. Well if you wanna pony up about 200-250 bucks and the plane ticket to LA/Hotel Money, then yeah you can go. Or if you work in Videogame retail i think

WindyMan

Unless my job sends me to work the show floor, I'm on the outside looking in.

Since this thread is here, I want to get something off my chest. There are a lot of people on the show floor that don't belong there. That includes a lot of people from these very forums that have gone and/or are planning to go. Unless you have a legitimate reason to be there (i.e. you have a job to do), don't make it harder on the people that must be there just because you want to see games before they come out.

WindyMan said:

Since this thread is here, I want to get something off my chest. There are a lot of people on the show floor that don't belong there. That includes a lot of people from these very forums that have gone and/or are planning to go. Unless you have a legitimate reason to be there (i.e. you have a job to do), don't make it harder on the people that must be there just because you want to see games before they come out.
???? angst?????

AniHawk

WindyMan said:

I think pretty much everyone from GAF is good about this stuff. Quite a lot of journalists too, and when I was there in 2004 everyone mingled well enough.

The only time I ever talked to a person who'd worked at the company was when they started up a conversation with me.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Heh, I agree Windy, its tough to write up impressions when you're waiting in line. I wish that E3 would do something similar to what TGS does (I think), where they have one day where only industry and press are allowed.

I definately think the show could lose many of the attendies who work at EB/Gamestop

mosaic

go eat paint
I don't want to go. I'm so sick of the show itself--too overwrought, too crowded, too many asses waiting in line for a free shirt that I want to kill and dismember. Booth tours feel like getting my teeth pulled these days. Even the PR people walk around like shellshocked 'Nam rape victims now--remember when they used to smile and laugh?!

That said, 2006 will better than 2005 was. The DS easily stole the show this time, but more to the point, good lord all the next-gen showings were flaccid. 2006 is going to be all about the PS3 and, probably, Revolution... unless Sony and Nintendo want to give Microsoft a taste of the #1 spot. And the next Zelda game will be "for reals." At least waiting in lines during the next show will yield mindblowing playtimes (I hope).

So... 50/50 I guess...

At least I can always look forward to eating at Fatburger and hearing Kaz Hirai spout obscenities like Andrew Dice Clay. "We're fucking number one!"

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this will be the best E3 ever

imagine the storm that's gonna be here when Nintendo spills all the secret about the Revolution? holograms and all that shit I predict a 5,000 replies thread of the Nintendo press conference.

add to that playable demos of games for the PS3 :eek:

E32k6 why are you so far away?

CB3

WindyMan said:

No use complaining, most likely it will stay this way, and i dont see it changing, unless they up the price for the people who dont get in free to 300-350. Its not like most of us can complain, as we get to go for free, Play the new games, do what we have to do, and go home. Yeah its crowded as hell, but i dont mind really

Ark-AMN said:
Heh, I agree Windy, its tough to write up impressions when you're waiting in line. I wish that E3 would do something similar to what TGS does (I think), where they have one day where only industry and press are allowed.

I definately think the show could lose many of the attendies who work at EB/Gamestop

E3 does have one day where only industry and press are allowed...doesn't it? Day 1. Days 2-4 are for whomever can manage to get in.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I'm pretty sure thats not the case. I always see those "Exhibits Only" peoples on the first day (Wednesday).

And this will be my third E3 and possibly my last, because next year I'd like to be employed in the industry and I doubt I'd have a job where I could go to the show (most industry people who go to the show anyways either have tons of meetings or they work at their booths) and just play stuff.

I do wonder what the DS will have this year? I really hope they'll unveil Zelda DS and Metroid DS.

Oh, and now that DQ8 is out, it'd be a very good thing to bring over the slimes (Slime Mori Mori DS) stupid Squenix!

i do wish that E3 would just follow the formula of TGS. The first few days of TGS are for business and press while the weekend opens is up to anyone who can get a ticket.

E3 is is a mess, it's getting difficult to get any work done because so many people get in by exploiting loopholes of the registration process. If E3 was opened to the public for the weekend then maybe the first few days wouldn't be so bad for the folks who are trying to get work done.

Leondexter said:
E3 does have one day where only industry and press are allowed...doesn't it? Day 1. Days 2-4 are for whomever can manage to get in.
Nope. The show floor is open to everyone each day (wed-fri). The only things open only to press before that are the press conferences.

This will be my 3rd E3. The first in 04 when the DS was revealed was a blast for being my first year. This last year with the 360, Zelda, and onlaught of DS software was cool, but the whole show just seemed to lack the same zing. Some of my friends who went felt the same way. Guess its just following the everyother e3 is great rule of thumb.

On a serious note, I always thought it would be more fun to just read all the e3 updates at places like GAf. You get the same info and pretty descriptive impressions, without the fuss of waiting in line with sweaty fatasses who hog teeshirts and other useless junk.

CB3

The Take Out Bandit said:
E3 2005 PS3 = OMG! Those aren't real games.
E3 2006 PS3 = OMG! That's not the real price!

No amount of floor whores could get me to go.

:lol :lol :lol i was just about to say that

BigBoss

Master_Shake_05 said:
On a serious note, I always thought it would be more fun to just read all the e3 updates at places like GAf. You get the same info and pretty descriptive impressions, without the fuss of waiting in line with sweaty fatasses who hog teeshirts and other useless junk.

Thats what I do now even though GAF comes to a screeching halt during E3. :lol

Master_Shake_05 said:

QFT!
This years E3 was my first. I went home quite early each day I went. I still had fun only it was quite boring being there alone on the first 2 days. Give me a crowd and I'm down next year.
:)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Heh, wonder which one of the AMN guys Ark-AMN was last year.

Anyways, I'll be there hopefully. Just hope we'll be able to get a hotel as close to the convention center as we did last year. Fare in LA = teh suck.

iceDragon7 said:
QFT!
This years E3 was my first. I went home quite early each day I went. I still had fun only it was quite boring being there alone on the first 2 days. Give me a crowd and I'm down next year.
:)
That sux. Another reason I'd rather experieince it second hand..... :D

arter_2

ColdBlooded33 said:
Student as in High School? Or as in College? Im assuming College. Well if you wanna pony up about 200-250 bucks and the plane ticket to LA/Hotel Money, then yeah you can go. Or if you work in Videogame retail i think

I used to work for retail but I dunno if dell will let me go, but on the student note im a computer art major (computer animation its is my field soo) at a major art school so I was wondering if that left me a better chance to go.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Going this year, it will be my fourth show, and likely my last.

I initially began going with an approach that I wanted to make a career in the gaming biz, and with my impending degree, I'd be a value commodity to whatever company was searching for fresh meat (yes, E3 is a good place to pitch yourself). The second year was my best year for that, as I made some great contacts and felt I got my foot in the door. But that slipped away as I slowly realized it wasn't something I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Combine that with the growing impatience of dealing with masses of unwashed, unkempt "gamers" and it's plenty enough to kill any motivation I would have for going again after this year.

GodMike

Banned
Great. Another thread with people who have no business being there, not working in the industry to make things even harder for those of us who are in the industry and must endure overcrowding and fanboyish nerds wandering about like they just entered candyland.

I swear, for once I'd like the E3 people to really crack down on the retarded loopholes that let so many unwarranted people in every year.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Great. Another thread with people who have no business being there, not working in the industry to make things even harder for those of us who are in the industry and must endure overcrowding and fanboyish nerds wandering about like they just entered candyland.

I swear, for once I'd like the E3 people to really crack down on the retarded loopholes that let so many unwarranted people in every year.

Great. This discussion again.

While I agree to an extent, I don't feel like I should be that vehement about it considering I work for a pro bono website.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I like meeting industry people at E3. Of course, the better place to talk to them is at GDC, because they'll usually be easily identifiable and easier to find. At E3, you have to look really hard if you want to find someone in the industry.

Still mad at GDC for being held in San Jose this year, it was so much easier in SF last year to commute, now I have to drive and park, which sucks.

Top Bottom