• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2 gets off to a huge start on Steam

Midn1ght

Despite polarized opinions and issues with Denuvo, it seems like Dying Light 2 is a huge success on Steam.

Dying Light 2 PC Player Count Nearly Four Times More Than Dying Light’s All-Time Peak

l02g48E.jpg

It's actually 6x all-time peak now.

Some recent all-time peak numbers to compare with:
Halo Infinite : 272,586
Monster Hunter Rise: 134,262
Resident Evil Village: 106,631
Forza Horizon 5: 81,096
God of War: 73,529
Deathloop: 20,094

Curious to see how Elden Ring will perform but I have a feeling it's gonna be huge!

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Not surprised dying light was huge on PC. Specially the higher end pc gamers. Dying light 2 holds up on that front well.

Holammer

First game was very well received and sold tons, no wonder they almost hit 250k concurrent at launch.

As for Elden Ring? Dark Souls 3 had 130k and Sekiro 125k. Shouldn't be far fetched for it to reach 150-200k

Kacho

I expected it to do well but this is some next level stuff. Glad I grabbed it on PC, looks and runs great. Now give us Elden Ring, Papa Miyazaki.

Yesterday was 245k lmao. I guess this game hit right spots with zombie setting, open world exploring and fun gameplay. Writing and ai is skyrim level tho which people dont mind too

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am really surprised. I don't feel this game hype at all and I hated the first one :p
Is it actually good ?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well the first was good, so no.
It just wasn't.
Terrible characters, story, mega repetitive gameplay, jank, annoying. I couldn't finish it myself but I rolled my eyes when I finished it on youtube...
I couldn't see anything that was good about it except some nice graphics and zombies tech.
Even Dead Island (first map) was better than whole dying ight 1.
None of these games have anything on Dead Rising or even Days Gone (which I also am not a huge fan off)

None of this is about DL2... I've not played it yet ! Could be great

Last edited:

Fbh

Congrats to the team, after all the delays and rumours of a troubled development it's nice things turned out ok for them.

First one was fun but a bit janky (the combat in particular was pretty bad IMO), is it any better here?

Right… so isn’t it a good reason to remove Denuvo?

Nah man, according to publishers without Denuvo concurrent players would have been 5

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Despite polarized opinions and issues with Denuvo, it seems like Dying Light 2 is a huge success on Steam.

The people who throw a fit about Denuvo are an extremely vocal minority. Publishers don't care about their opinions on Denuvo, and their refusal to purchase games with Denuvo have no noticable impact on sales. It's probably one of the worst boycotts ever attempted because they're basically doing nothing.

This isn't to say that people should like Denuvo. It's a DRM that has no benefit to the end-user after all. But Denuvo games have been selling like hotcakes because the vast majority of people don't know what Denuvo is, and/or they have never had any issues with Denuvo.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

That's too high, i never expected that, despite its 70's reviews it managed to peak at a far higher point than lets say God of War.

Midn1ght

It just wasn't.
Terrible characters, story, mega repetitive gameplay, jank, annoying. I couldn't finish it myself but I rolled my eyes when I finished it on youtube...
I couldn't see anything that was good about it except some nice graphics and zombies tech.
Even Dead Island (first map) was better than whole dying ight 1.
None of these games have anything on Dead Rising or even Days Gone (which I also am not a huge fan off)

None of this is about DL2... I've not played it yet ! Could be great
I really like Dead Island as well (finished it 3 times) and didn't fall in love with Dying Light when it launch on PS4.

But to be fair, the game has receive a large amount of content and updates since launch and is now a great and fun coop experience to have. I'm currently replaying it on PC and I'm having a good time.
Story and characters are definitely forgettable and combat is basic, very similar to Dead Island.

There's nothing deep or revolutionary about the game but the map and the parkour is where the game shine the most in my opinion, crafting weapons and killing zombies is also great fun and the difference between day and night can actually be challenging.

Delivering a fun experience + treating your community nicely with regular quality updates will often be a magic combo on PC and it seems they are being rewarded for it today, No Man's Sky is another example.

Stuart360

I said this in another thread but DL1 was a bit like Alien Isolation last gen, a game where the majority of people seemed to love it, and it would often be in peoples Top 10 games of the gen lists.
The first game also has over 300k reviews on Steam, and if you are not familiar with Steam reviews, thats a LOT. Usually games that get over 100k reviews are games that have sold in the 5+mil range, and DL1 had over 300k reviews!.

This will easily be in the top 10 best selling games of the year.

Leo9

It shouldn't be surprising. DL2 was the second most whislisted game on Steam, just after Elden Ring.
Elden Ring will do >300k.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Huge sales and could easily hit 300k tomorrow. Lost Ark, Elden Ring and Total War Warhammer 3 still to come this month just after Monster Hunter Rise and God of War.

What an incredible start of the year for PC gaming no wonder Steam is breaking every record.

MaKTaiL

The game is a huge hit on consoles too. A bunch of my friends on PSN are playing it. I'm loving what I've played so far.

Denton

Kinda crazy to see disparity, when game like Guardians of Galaxy has 11K, while Polish Dying Light 2 has 266K...but of course nothing beats (and will beat for a long time) Polish Cyberpunk 2077 with 1.1 million.

Poland is gaming's superpower.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I'm loving it too but holy fuck is it buggy.

It could have done with maybe 2-3 months delay to iron it out for sure.

Reactions: GHG

Dying Light 2 PC Player Count Nearly Four Times More Than Dying Light’s All-Time Peak

l02g48E.jpg

It's actually 6x all-time peak now.

Some recent all-time peak numbers to compare with:
Halo Infinite : 272,586
Monster Hunter Rise: 134,262
Resident Evil Village: 106,631
Forza Horizon 5: 81,096
God of War: 73,529
Deathloop: 20,094

Curious to see how Elden Ring will perform but I have a feeling it's gonna be huge!
No surprise there. The amount of ads I see every day about the game are annoying.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Kinda crazy to see disparity, when game like Guardians of Galaxy has 11K, while Polish Dying Light 2 has 266K...but of course nothing beats (and will beat for a long time) Polish Cyberpunk 2077 with 1.1 million.

Poland is gaming's superpower.

Dying Light 2 did it without scamming everyone though.

Vaelka

Yesterday was 245k lmao. I guess this game hit right spots with zombie setting, open world exploring and fun gameplay. Writing and ai is skyrim level tho which people dont mind too

I kinda wish they just spent less resources on the story in games like these and just spend those resources on making the game bigger.
The story in these games always just feels like it gets in the way imo.

I kinda wish they just spent less resources on the story in games like these and just spend those resources on making the game bigger.
Bigger world in DL 2 would not work imo. This game is already full of content and its map is dense as fuck with activities. Now imagine the same number of content with valhalla map. It would be a chore to play. Gameplay loop in dl 2 is perfect imo because it's fast to acces.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I know my local GameStop was wiped out of copies very quickly, they said for next-gen.

I really enjoy the game. It clearly needs some TLC for all these bugs, and co-op feels a bit un-optimized. I also feel like it could look and run better than it does on the hardware right now

That being said, the devs seem to care very much and they supported the original game immensely. I have faith it'll continue to rapidly improve, which is more than can be said for some games(like Battlefield)

Just seeing they spoke about fixes coming this week for EACH version, gave a time and also talked about other things that are being fixed but won't make this update.

To me, I'm very understanding. This game obviously went through some development hell, especially with Covid(I think Poland had some of the toughest restrictions in the world).

Last edited:

tvdaXD

The game is amazing, as a Dying Light veteran I can say it's a good second game, not perfect though. It took some steps forward, but some backward compared to the first. I really miss the Be The Zombie game mode, hopefully it returns. And for some reason the flashlight doesn't cast shadows! (Even when raytracing is used.) Immersion ruined.

Denton

Nope, if anything they should not have fired Avellone and have him work on it much more to make the story better.

Top Bottom