• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune: Part Two - Review Thread

Hudo

Has it been confirmed that Villeneuve is doing the Dune Messiah movie as well? I remember him saying something about wanting to make a movie out of Dune Messiah as well and then he'd be done with Dune.

Has it been confirmed that Villeneuve is doing the Dune Messiah movie as well? I remember him saying something about wanting to make a movie out of Dune Messiah as well and then he'd be done with Dune.
He confirmed his desire to make a Dune Messiah movie. Whether or not the studio will greenlight the movie and fund a sequel is a different matter.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Wait… this doesn’t conclude with the end of the first book?

Please tell me that’s not right!

Part II concludes the same way the book does with a noticeable caveat. While the book certainly alluded to further conflict, Dune Part II makes this significantly more immediate.

So it's quite a bit more open ended and heavily hints to a third movie based on Dune Messiah.

There's a brand new IMAX opening around the corner from me on the 22nd March. They are showing this as the opening feature. No way can i hold out that long though.

Fark, you're lucky. Enjoy bro. We only have 1 IMAX screen here in my area and I went to see Oppenheimer on it. Was damn near sold out and got the worst fucking seats 2 rows from the front. Making my way back my car after the movie was a bit awkward

scary-walking.gif

For Dune 2 im going to wait to book seats in the backrow or close to the middle.

DKehoe

Villeneuve said he will wait a few years for Paul’s actor to grow up since there is a 14 years time skip between the books.
Makes sense and also gives him a chance to freshen up by doing something a bit different. That way he doesn't burn out on doing three huge films back to back that are all part of the same series.

Toots

Gold Member
I hope I get to see them adapt God Emperor in my lifetime. Would be a very odd and unsettling movie, but it’s absolutely doable in the right hands.
It would be cool to have a 10 hours philosophical discussion on the nature of Man, fate, and freedom vs control filmed by the best living director, but i doubt even Villeneuve could sell that one to the studios...
I guess you could also do some kind of thriller about Leto's assassination but you'll be missing everything that made the book interesting imo.

b0uncyfr0

Eagerly waiting on this one. Should i head to the movies or watch on my CX. Tough decision...

Is the 4K release on the 1st as well though?

Last edited:

apowhungo

straight up part one is the best imax movie i've ever seen. just grabbed tickets next week at one of only 12 places in the world playing it on 15/70mm.
watched trailer 1 when it first came out and have avoided everything since (carefully glanced at this thread though!).
not even kidding i haven't been this jacked on a screening since star wars episode 1 came out.

me for the next week:
MV5BMjEwODQ2MDEzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk2Mjg0MjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Toots

Gold Member
rewatched part I yesterday, it's so good Villeneuve single handedly rekindled my faith in the creative potential of human beings.
I remember an old Herzog itw where he said society needed images to inspire the people in it, and he was trying himself to give inspiring images since there was less and less and more and more copies without any substance (looking at you mcu). I feel the only director nowdays giving us images strong enough to inspire human beings is Villeneuve.
There's something transcendent in his work.

Tieno

Just saw the movie in glorious IMAX. It's amazing. Villeneuve has such amazing 'taste' in realizing his vision, it kind of reminds me of Lord Of the Rings. It just transports you completely into a different world with how completely realized the world is. It's so beautiful and awe-inspiring. In that, it feels so refreshing among the other big blockbuster movies, and stands alone at the top. It just goes to show how CGI can be used to make a painting, instead of the gaudy messes most big movies are.

Pacing is really off, the story plods along for 2 hours introducing characters etc, then right at the end they cram all the action in and you realise a lot of that setup was not worth the payoff. It's a beautiful film but terribly superficial.

Last edited:
Thank the Lord for minimal body shields. They really marred the action in the first one. But fuck the PG-13 violence. Are kids even interested in Dune?

ZehDon

Gold Member
Watched part one prior, and I just finished. What a film. The worst I can say about it is that the first act suffers from the lack of a beginning, and the third act suffers from the lack of a full conclusion. This is evidently a middle chapter. Apart from that, I absolutely loved it. From someone who loves the books, the film makers understood this assignment. Seeing it again on Sunday. What a film.

Cyberpunkd

Watched it.

Not as tight as first film, I think you could have cut 10-15 minutes or maybe some scenes. There was also maybe a bit too exposition this late in the second movie.

However I absolutely adored how much emphasis they put on politics and showcased Bene Gesserit and especially the work of Lady Jessica.

Also the ending, THE ENDING. I’m talking about the last two minutes - I didn’t expect Villeneuve to go there, what a balsy move.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Pacing is really off, the story plods along for 2 hours introducing characters etc, then right at the end they cram all the action in and you realise a lot of that setup was not worth the payoff. It's a beautiful film but terribly superficial.
Agreed, the build up to the final battle took too long, then the battle was too short because what happens later was too long.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Watched it.

Not as tight as first film, I think you could have cut 10-15 minutes or maybe some scenes. There was also maybe a bit too exposition this late in the second movie.

However I absolutely adored how much emphasis they put on politics and showcased Bene Gesserit and especially the work of Lady Jessica.

Also the ending, THE ENDING. I’m talking about the last two minutes - I didn’t expect Villeneuve to go there, what a balsy move.
Is it true they cut out Alia, Leto and Jessica's daughter, from the story so far? 😬

Cyberpunkd

I guess I'm an outlier on this one, but... I think it's a tragedy that Villeneuve's considerable talent is being wasted on _three_ of these films. That's so many years in which he could have produced something lasting, thoughtful, anything.

I didn't completely hate part 1, it was servicable; but it easily stands as his most forgettable cinematic product, and I think I've watched all his major US films (top: Arrival, Enemy, Prisoners, Blade Runner, Sicario... everything except his earlier French works). Arrival is beautifully constructed, Enemy is startling, and Blade Runner is a visually perfect continuation of its sci-fi franchise that's alone easily worth more than 20 Dune films.

I think it's the saturation of commercial elements in these Dune films, and borderline-Disneyish use of celebrities. Momoa always feels too corny for anything but a comic-book film, please don't hire him again, and Zendaya makes me wish to vomit a bit at her overwhelming blandness and lack of character, particularly when I realize someone thought she should be Mary Jane of all characters. I understand that Villeneuve wants his paycheck at this point in his career, but it's all a bit tiring.

I'll watch it once, but begrudgingly. I actually enjoy the Lynch Dune for its strangeness and read the book like every kid in that era, and I still find these new adaptations to be trying too hard to feel epic, and just a bit too much like popcorn blockbusters.

Also who the hell thought that feminine-face Chalamet and ugly ass Zendaya should ever have replaced these two... unbelievable.

Reviewed.com-RvEW-27365-dune-1984-hbo-max.png
I keep thinking this is the price to pay for having Dune brought to big screen. I agree that David Lynch’s movie is very special, however it takes a lot of liberties with the book material and fails at one crucial point the new movie succeeds in - shows the tragedy of Paul and what he unleashed upon the galaxy.

Also regarding actors in the old movie - Sean Young, duh.

Jsisto

Admittedly I haven’t seen it yet, but I will say that the books are very light on action and very heavy on politics and character development. So sounds pretty faithful to the books I’d say, from what I’ve heard.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Im not sure I can sit through another screaming banshee soundtrack like the last one had. God that hurt my ears.
OST is different and better in my opinion than Part 1.

The banshee thing happens once for like 5 seconds towards the end.

DKehoe

Not directly to do with the film but has anyone tried out the Dune TTRPG? If so what did you think of it?

BossLackey

Gold Member
Admittedly I haven’t seen it yet, but I will say that the books are very light on action and very heavy on politics and character development. So sounds pretty faithful to the books I’d say, from what I’ve heard.

It's very faithful save for a small handful of things. Though Part II has pleeeenty of action.

Cyberpunkd

For me I thought Book 5 and 6 really pushed politics, before that it was a healthy dose of action.

Ulysses 31

It's very faithful save for a small handful of things. Though Part II has pleeeenty of action.
Does it go into some detail what the guild is and why they have such an iron grip on space travelling or do they still ignore it? I heard there's no 3rd stage navigators in part II either.

If true that seems like big omissions that hurts the world/universe building IMO.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Does it go into some detail what the guild is and why they have such an iron grip on space travelling or do they still ignore it? I heard there's no 3rd stage navigators in part II either.
Zero mention. Even 1984 film did it better especially with Guild navigator openly challenging Shaddam.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Slept on it. Feels like a 9/10 and very consistent with the first film. Random thoughts below, spoilered for obvious reasons:
  • Editing feels more broken up than the first film. Some of the transitions are quite abrupt. Doesn't detract, but still noticeable.​
  • Visuals are God-tier. Dune is up there with Blade Runner as the best looking film series of all time. We don't deserve films this well shot.​
  • Some of the changes I actually didn't hate, despite them being terrible on paper. Paul killing the Barron, Alia being present but not born, Paul not having a son, no Jamis' family; they change the story, but give room to other elements and I feel the extra space was used well. I'm on board.​
  • Paul's "I am the Messiah" scene is an instant classic. Holy. Fucking. Shit.​
  • I actually enjoyed Chani's more expanded role. Same for Lady Jessica. These were moments you might extrapolate or imagine, but they picked the right ones to show to expand the story.​
  • I was ready for some punches to be pulled in the ending to keep Paul more "hero"-esque, give the film a more Hollywood ending. But oh no - they went all in and I am here for every fucking second of it.​
I always dreamed that Dune would get the LOTR treatment: a film adaptation worthy of the source material, even if a price is paid in the process. I believe Villeneuve has delivered the goods. Bring on Part Three.

One chance at Dune and Jon Spaihts adapts it. Truly a world of pain.

No lol
That sucks they were cool in the old movie. I liked how far out it was and with Dennis’ experience with cool alien designs from Arrival I was hoping for an appearance.

thefool

I honestly cannot believe this films ends with

Chani with a pissed off expression, with her strong independent woman anti-colonialist vibes who sees through all the bullshit. This is an absurd take of not only the character but the Fremen tribe who are disrespected as a bunch of buffoons being played out as well as the efficiency of the BG social engineering. The Missionaria Protectiva is not something they see through, it is deeply crystallized into the whole culture. BG manipulate their religion and beliefs, they specifically used these messianic figure prophecies on planets with horrendous conditions to attach the Fremen to such an extreme way of life. The film instead openly mocks Fremen superstition, a character that was a candidate to become their Sayyadina is somehow openly defying their beliefs.

Chani is Paul's bridge between the orthodox and the outsiders, they are the ones who cast doubt on Paul and he eventually turns them from mere friends to worshippers. She is (well should be) the daughter of Dr. Liet Kynes, son of another outsider who devised the plan to change the biological landscape of the planet, which they have set in motion, her being descendant of outsiders is also why she bonds and accepts him, she empathizes with his position. She's his anchor, his biggest love, she's the one who he finds comfort and looks for advice when he's navigating through a maze of possibilities, all leading to a brutal future where her tribe is set free and wreaks havoc through the Universe.
She is disappointed he married Irulan but not pissed, she accepts her role as concubine like Jessica was to his father, knowing she's the only one that matters, it's actually Irulan who gets the short stick in the relationship. Paul's love for Chani is so unconditional that (spoilers for Messiah)
he eventually chooses the only path he believes will bring Chani's best outcome, no matter the consequences for literally everyone else.

Btw about colonialism, the Fremen are not Arrakis natives, they descend from zensunni wanderers who found Arrakis such a shitty ass planet that they believed nobody would go after them there. Dune isn't about colonialists are bad but how charismatic leaders are incredibly dangerous, which is what scared Herbert. He was deeply respectful of religions, costumes and its collective power.

And why the hell are Fremen burning bodies in the end. wtf Repeating imagery is not a reason for you to throw their culture under the bus

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I honestly cannot believe this films ends with

Chani with a pissed off expression, with her strong independent woman anti-colonialist vibes who sees through all the bullshit. This is an absurd take of not only the character but the Fremen tribe who are disrespected as a bunch of buffoons being played out as well as the efficiency of the BG social engineering. The Missionaria Protectiva is not something they see through, it is deeply crystallized into the whole culture. BG manipulate their religion and beliefs, they specifically used these messianic figure prophecies on planets with horrendous conditions to attach the Fremen to such an extreme way of life. The film instead openly mocks Fremen superstition, a character that was a candidate to become their Sayyadina is somehow openly defying their beliefs.

Chani is Paul's bridge between the orthodox and the outsiders, they are the ones who cast doubt on Paul and he eventually turns them from mere friends to worshippers. She is (well should be) the daughter of Dr. Liet Kynes, son of another outsider who devised the plan to change the biological landscape of the planet, which they have set in motion, her being descendant of outsiders is also why she bonds and accepts him, she empathizes with his position. She's his anchor, his biggest love, she's the one who he finds comfort and looks for advice when he's navigating through a maze of possibilities, all leading to a brutal future where her tribe is set free and wreaks havoc through the Universe.
She is disappointed he married Irulan but not pissed, she accepts her role as concubine like Jessica was to his father, knowing she's the only one that matters, it's actually Irulan who gets the short stick in the relationship. Paul's love for Chani is so unconditional that (spoilers for Messiah)
he eventually chooses the only path he believes will bring Chani's best outcome, no matter the consequences for literally everyone else.

Btw about colonialism, the Fremen are not Arrakis natives, they descend from zensunni wanderers who found Arrakis such a shitty ass planet that they believed nobody would go after them there. Dune isn't about colonialists are bad but how charismatic leaders are incredibly dangerous, which is what scared Herbert. He was deeply respectful of religions, costumes and its collective power.

And why the hell are Fremen burning bodies in the end. wtf Repeating imagery is not a reason for you to throw their culture under the bus
Some good points, however you can also argue that:

BG work is exactly what is depicted in the film - putting messianic messages on many planets if one day a BG sister will be in need she can use them to her benefit. This is what Paul is angry about - he had BG training, he knows Fremens' beliefs are just BG social engineering. That is why he is conflicted at the beginning of making use of them and angry at Jessica. I thought the way they portrayed her was very novel and probably very much in line with how BG should be - plans within plans.

Top Bottom