• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSHOCKERS: Microsoft Might Announce A New Xbox Studio Acquisition at E3 2021

"Windows Central reporter believes that an Xbox studio acquisition announcement is highly possible at Microsoft’s E3 2021 press conference.

Xbox Game Studios is currently big enough with the merger of Bethesda and ZeniMax development teams, but Phil Spencer apparently wouldn’t mind adding even more creative studios to their portfolio of developers.

According to a few messages from Jez Corden, the Windows Central reporter, there is a good chance of an acquisition announcement at Microsoft’s E3 2021 press conference.

The reporter who has previously leaked various info on unannounced Microsoft projects says that he has heard some very good rumors that Microsoft has acquired a number of IPs through a new acquisition."

BlackM1st

Banned
Nintendo was awfully quiet recently...hm...
John Cena Reaction GIF by WWE

Banjo64

cumsessed
I dunno - E3 doesn’t seem like an appropriate event to announce a new studio acquisition. It would take the onus off the games in my opinion.
They’ve used e3 to announce multiple acquisitions in the past so it definitely is an appropriate event.

At e3 2018; Playground, Undead Labs, Ninja Theory and Compulsion acquisitions announced.

At e3 2019; Double Fine acquisition announced.

Andodalf

Banned
They’ve used e3 to announce multiple acquisitions in the past so it definitely is an appropriate event.

At e3 2018; Playground, Undead Labs, Ninja Theory and Compulsion acquisitions announced.

At e3 2019; Double Fine acquisition announced.

Obsidian in 2018 as well. They also announced the formation of the initiative then.

Fox Mulder

Microsoft! Our first party hasn't been the best out there over the years, so "Fuck it! We're just gonna pull the moneybags out and start buying everyone!"

surprised Amazon or Google didn’t go around buying companies and exclusives instead of doing whatever it was they did instead.

Dthomp

I dunno - E3 doesn’t seem like an appropriate event to be announcing a new studio acquisition. It would take the onus off the games in my opinion.

I mean, when you don't actually have any games to show might as well announce something to keep people from remembering what a sad state we are in with first party releases across the board. If you can't release content, buy studios...profit?

Dthomp

At least acquire a studio that has a game ready lol.

Also "windows central reporter" sounds legit. He wouldn't have any reason to make this up just to hype their conference a bit more right?

The hype machine makes so much more money and interest then a B tier title that people won't buy in the millions. Hype>Profits>Games

SCENARIO: You're the head of Xbox in 2017, you have 4 studios, how would you go about improving the first-party output?

Come On What GIF

I think my point was misconstrued. I was just being silly for fun; I know that's the solution.

I firmly believe they gotta do what they have to, because I, personally, haven't owned an Xbox since the Xbox 360. As Sony's offerings stepped up to the plate, I needed more than just the ol' Big Three from MS(Forza, Halo, Gears).

The Big N has always done their own thing and even as good as Sony is in terms of first party, I don't think neither Sony or Microsoft will ever match them for their innovative first party ideas out there. Just a personal opinion.

CitizenZ

Banned
If anything, it will be a studio with a game already announced and ready to release very soon. This is based on their track record.

MS buying their way to victory like the Yankees.

MS announced an acquisition at E3 2 of the last 3 years right? Did anyone expect this not to happen again this year?

Top Bottom