• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like IO Interactive’s fantasy RPG is an Xbox exclusive

Draugoth

Gold Member
io-interactive-fantasy-game-1280x700.jpg
The upcoming original IP from Hitman studio IO Interactive could be an Xbox console exclusive.According to internal Microsoft documents shared as part of the ongoing FTC vs. Microsoft trial over the acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

The documents (spotted by IGN), which assess IO as a potential acquisition target, list it as working on “Project Dragon,” an RPG shooter for PC and Xbox Series X|S. Xbox Game Studios is listed as publisher for the title.

In April 2021, Windows Central first claimed that IO had teamed up with Microsoft to work on a new “dragon-themed IP” which the platform holder was expected to publish as a first-party Xbox exclusive.

Chukhopops

I thought it was known already?

The more surprising part is they considered buying IOI, a studio which bought itself back after being acquired several times. Not sure they’d want to be absorbed again.

also pretty interesting is the “risk” section – we rarely get a unfiltered view into how companies think about the other market players :)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This is the online RPG...........making it exclusive seem like a death sentence unless it gets as much support as Sea of Thieves, but not being first party would make that harder lest they keep pumping money to IO Interactive.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This is the online RPG...........making it exclusive seem like a death sentence unless it gets as much support as Sea of Thieves, but not being first party would make that harder lest they keep pumping money to IO Interactive.

It will be on PC so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It will be on PC so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.
You are still cutting a huge player base, so without support DOA.
Sea of Thieves had a big player base due to XB1 and XSX and PC, plus constant updates.
XSX and PC only for an online game?
Count me doubtful.

P.S: Im assuming this is nextgen only?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sea of Thieves had a big player base due to XB1 and XSX and PC, plus constant updates.
Count me doubtful.

Well, no shit. No support for online game = dead on arrival. It goes without saying. They'll be fine without PS user base.

Ozriel

M$FT
Count me doubtful.

Nonsense.
Sea of Thieves didn’t launch on Steam until 2020. Exclusive to Windows Store earlier.

Online base was largely XB1 before the Steam launch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought these were bad™

They aren't, it's been a practice since the dawn of third party developers working with first party publishers. But narratives and all that gravy.

On a side note, from dude bro shooter box to fantasy RPG box? Queue the same/same third person trees meme.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

So... I guess Microsoft is trying to *check notes* reduce Playstation's survival with this exclusivity deal? I wonder if they used the 70% cut they take whenever they release a game on playstation. 🤔
Did you have same energy for Street Fighter 5 being playstation exclusive?

YuLY

Thats nice, but we need a new Hitman, theres still so many location ideas we havent explored with agent 47. I need airport+airplane map, I need sky resort map and many more. Hopefully they get this done quick to focus on that 007 game and a new Hitman.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Microsoft is throwing money for exclusivity!!!!! they are blocking PS version release!!!!
They are publishing a new IP, not throwing money to make a game exclusive. Or are you saying Street Fighter V/Tomb Raider are the same thing as Sunset Overdrive/Until Dawn?

Top Bottom