• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub VR is the most impressive virtual reality racer yet

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Some people will believe anything. I don't care what tech the PSVR uses, that low of a resolution is going to have noticeable SDE, especially since it's right in your face.

Not sure if they will every release a super high resolution version in the future since I'm sure they'll move on to 3D Part 2 or whatever the next fad is in a few years to try and sell electronics.
Have you tried it?

You can see the SDE, but it is somewhat mitigated by the lenses in use. Let's look at it like this; the screen is basically equivalent to the Oculus DK2 in terms of resolution but the focal point is slightly different and, as a result, the SDE is reduced.

Naturally, games do look blurrier than on a Vive or Oculus unit, but it's actually quite good overall.

Sony admit your mistake and hire this team back...you guys were stupid to let such a talented team go. Let them work on the pro patch!!!!

I hope they have the demo for this with a wheel at the BB some day. This is the perfect VR demo they should be showcasing.

Have you tried it?

You can see the SDE, but it is somewhat mitigated by the lenses in use. Let's look at it like this; the screen is basically equivalent to the Oculus DK2 in terms of resolution but the focal point is slightly different and, as a result, the SDE is reduced.

Naturally, games do look blurrier than on a Vive or Oculus unit, but it's actually quite good overall.

Problem comes when you have people writing things like "cleaner image than oculus/vive due to rgb vs pentile", while mitigating "blurrier due to lower res/IQ".

You have a clearer image on PSVR!

Of a blurrier scene than on oculus/vive!

"The blurrier images of PSVR are just that much cleaner due to RGB".

"My god, this is the sharpest ghosting ive ever seen! And the screen tearing is smooth as fuck!"

It seems as though its just completely impossible to comprehend what each VR set offers without testing yourself because trying to discern from a million different peoples view of what the word "clean" means can only result in confusion.

Peltz

I want to play this with a proper racing wheel but have never owned a racing wheel peripheral before. What's a good one to get on PS4? Is there a first party solution?

farmerboy

The original game is not getting a Pro patch but......

This is a new stand alone version of the game as far as we have been led to believe. The cars have been reworked, (I'm pretty sure they have mentioned that somewhere) there are new tracks. We'll also be paying for this, it's not just a VR patch on the original game.

So I'm expecting a pro mode on DCVR as all new games have to have it. Any other thoughts as it's 5am and I'm in bed and can't be bothered searching Google for info!

farisr

The resolution of PSVR is 1080p
Doesn't mean the resolution of the games running is 1080p. But yeah, we don't know what resolution it's actually running at so a statement like "double the resolution on PS4 Pro" may or may not be possible. Probably not double, but a resolution bump is definitely not out of the question.

Ogawa-san

B&H has a sale on the Thrustmaster T80 RS ~$80. just ordered mine today
Off topic and being a debbie downer: T80 is a wheel-shaped controller (without even rumble!), it's not worth it. I got mine in sale for around that price and I wish I had saved the money instead, to put towards a real wheel with FFB.

orioto

Good Art™
Have you tried it?

Having used the DK2 a lot, i'm a little sad that my first consumer VR experience will be basically the same level of IQ... Now if the SDE is less noticeable, it's already something. It really breaks the immersion significantly.

But playing Drive Club at 60fps in itself must be glorious anyway.

Off topic and being a debbie downer: T80 is a wheel-shaped controller (without even rumble!), it's not worth it. I got mine in sale for around that price and I wish I had saved the money instead, to put towards a real wheel with FFB.

Listen to this man.

A wheel with no FFB will leave you seriously wanting and regretful, especially if you ever get more into racers and sims.

Apenheul

"My god, this is the sharpest ghosting ive ever seen! And the screen tearing is smooth as fuck!"

It seems as though its just completely impossible to comprehend what each VR set offers without testing yourself because trying to discern from a million different peoples view of what the word "clean" means can only result in confusion.
It's definitely best to experience the different VR solutions for yourself but indeed it doesn't help when people confuse terms. From my experience PSVR has less noticable screendoor effect than Oculus and Vive (rather it looks like you're looking at some sort of dithering when looking at gradients), noticably lower resolution and blurrier but no noticable ghosting and the headtracking is quite fast. The World VR demo is the best looking demo currently, Driveclub VR has terrible IQ (severe aliasing) but was definitely the most fun demo I've played.

Zalusithix

Problem comes when you have people writing things like "cleaner image than oculus/vive due to rgb vs pentile", while mitigating "blurrier due to lower res/IQ".

You have a clearer image on PSVR!

Of a blurrier scene than on oculus/vive!

It's further muddied by the fact that panel resolution and subpixel layout only being one factor of how something looks. You then have to factor in the FoV that display has to cover which varies from set to set. Lower FoV = higher pixel density.

Then you have to consider that you can take the same exact game on a PCVR headset and change the supersampling and AA type/levels to have a remarkably different looking result. Much more pronounced than it would be on a monitor/TV. At first glance, you could easily be fooled into thinking you were looking at a higher or lower resolution display. Before seeing the results first hand on my Vive, and only having traditional gaming to go by, I wouldn't have thought it would have as large of an impact as it does. Makes a massive difference for distant objects and detail.

How nice something looks will be dependent on so many factors that trying to pin it to any one thing when the experiences themselves are different is... misguided at best, and certainly not something you can accurately do with quick impressions.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I want this, but idk $600 for the bundle + game not to mention I won't have a wheel.

DriveClub is my fav PS4 game tho.

Wife would probably kill me if I drop $600 on this, and I don't have a preorder.

bj00rn_

Banned
The "IT'S IMPRESSIVE THAT DRIVECLUB RUNS IN VR AT ALL" line is kinda funny considering he offers the explanation to how it manage to run in VR ("at all") in the very next few sentences, and thus renders the impressive part of it sort-of less than impressive. There's a reason for why Sony recommends 90 native instead.

MaDKaT

This is the type of game that is tempting me to keep my PSVR preorder and thinking about picking up a Pro. Love my Vive. Love AC and Dirt Rally. Love that I can use my current rig on both. Not sure I want another headset. Not sure I want to jump through the hoops necessary to get my wheel to work with the PS4 (still a cool pico PC project) but damn, DriveClub is an excellent game.

LordofPwn

Listen to this man.

A wheel with no FFB will leave you seriously wanting and regretful, especially if you ever get more into racers and sims.

$80 for a wheel controller to help immersion for 1 game vs a $60 Dualshock 4. its a good entry point. I know it's not ideal but i'm already shelling out $500 for VR. If i'm left wanting more i'll go harvest a car seat from a salvage vehicle and build myself a nice racing rig.

LostDonkey

When you had gourmet, a mcdonalds burger isn't that impressive.

Driveclub VR takes the crown for VR racers. Running on a 1.8tf system lol.

Regardless. How in this day and age can full real time dynamic global illumination ever be considered "sterile". It's a ridiculous thing to say.

LordofPwn

Regardless. How in this day and age can full real time dynamic global illumination ever be considered "sterile". It's a ridiculous thing to say.

maybe because sterile can mean "lacking in imagination, creativity, or excitement; uninspiring or unproductive." so maybe not so ridiculous after-all?

Greenymac

I want to play this with a proper racing wheel but have never owned a racing wheel peripheral before. What's a good one to get on PS4? Is there a first party solution?

Ive got the Thrustmaster T300rs and ordered a set of t3pa pro pedals to replace the set of pedals that comes with the T300rs. Love it.

Had it for about 9 months now and works great with Driveclub. Id suggest grabbing a wheel stand also...

LostDonkey

maybe because sterile can mean "lacking in imagination, creativity, or excitement; uninspiring or unproductive." so maybe not so ridiculous after-all?

Imagination creativity and excitement in real time lighting? OK. Sure.

Project Cars lighting is sublime both in fidelity and acuracy, especially on PC. Real life must be sterile then.

D23

oh man , i was thinking of cancelling my ps vr order, but im keeping it now!!

I cant wait.

gonna be so broke this holiday!

Pif

Banned

Project Cars lighting is sublime both in fidelity and acuracy, especially on PC. Real life must be sterile then.

Sometimes.

Fact is, DC's lighting solution rings all the right bells.

Fezan

I really wanted to buy PSVR but I am afraid that it won't get any support after launch period. Sony has closed its smaller studio and other big studios will only work on blockbusters.

wapplew

Have they said ALL weather is gone, or just dynamic weather? I thought it was the latter which isn't as big a deal. You could still have it rain/snow etc it just wouldn't change throughout the race.

Just read a preview, weather and night racing still in, just not dynamic.

LordofPwn

I'm not saying PC is a bad looking game by any means, I'm just saying it's kinda lacking excitement when compared to how Driveclub looks. When you look outside everyday and see the same stuff it's not exactly interesting so yeah real life can feel pretty sterile sometimes. I'd say PC does a great job of creating a perfect world, everything is exactly as it should be, but being perfect and without flaws can feel clinical. One of my art lessons was about "perfectly imperfect" and it's a principle I'd say Driveclub uses. I could dive further into this more but I don't have the time right now.

Now these are just my opinions and I'm trying to best explain my reasoning behind them so you have a better understanding of where I'm coming from and maybe also where the author is coming from.

Your opinion is different than mine and that's just fine.

AU Tiger

Project cars looks pretty bad. Definitely one of the worst looking racing games this gen. It looks even worse than forza 5.

LMAO U WOT M8?

PCars looks insane (on PC). I have all the racing games on PC and nothing comes even remotely close except Assetto corsa with the right lighting conditions/time of day.

I don't know what version you played but "one of the worst looking" isn't exactly what I'd call it.

vNPQGh.jpg

ysA0Uh.jpg

NOtbvh.jpg

h59yfZMh.jpg

PtKid

Banned
I have just played this and I have to agreed that it is amazing, however I feel that £40 for a DLC pack (which this essentially i/ as confirmed by PS Rep) is a bit steep.

My brain made me feel like I was experiencing G-Forces.

The only criticism I have is that the resolution was a bit low. I spoke about this to the PS Rep dealing with VR and he confirmed that VR was aimed at PS Pro for full experience, however it was compatible with normal PS4.

Definitely keeping my Pre Order

Top Bottom