• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub VR is the most impressive virtual reality racer yet

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Verge

There are two types of people in the world: those who play racing games in cockpit view, and those who prefer a behind-the-car chase camera. I've always been firmly in the latter camp, since I tend to play arcade-style games like Outrun and Ridge Racer where judging the arc of a drift is important. But I do admire those who play racers from the first-person perspective, and sometimes wish I were able to enjoy the more immersive experience it affords.

Virtual reality might be what makes this happen for me. It's not like I want a chase cam when driving an actual car — spatial awareness and depth perception makes it easy to judge corners and surroundings in real life. And in VR, you get stereoscopic vision and the ability to look around yourself without even thinking about it. I've played a fair few driving games on the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive at home, but my experience with Driveclub VR at Tokyo Game Show has been the best yet.

Cyanity

Banned
All of the previews I've seen looked great. You need a wheel for full immersion though.

VR is still niche, and will continue to be until you can get experiences like this (including the wheel) for around 4-500 dollars.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
And while competing VR racing games on PC do have an edge in terms of absolute resolution and detail, PS VR's RGB-stripe display means Driveclub VR has an overall cleaner appearance than racing games I've played on the Vive and Rift.

Wow...pretty big words.

Only game in my time with the PSVR that made me so close to throwing up.

Something about the forced head movement and orientation with the car did not work with my body.

cheezcake

Wow...pretty big words.

I wouldn't be surprised pCars looks pretty terrible in VR, I didn't play enough to figure out exactly why though. I'm yet to play dirt rally either but that game was never a graphical showpiece, amazing gameplay though.

Having extensively played AC, pCars and Dirt Rally on Rift/Vive with a Titan X pascal I'm calling bullshit on some of the claims.

But I can't wait to try it for myself and to eat crow, if necessary.

DC is amazing. Hopefully with VR they tweak wheel settings: FFB is rather unimpressive right now (g29).

Cyanity

Banned
Having extensively played AC, pCars and Dirt Rally on Rift/Vive with a Titan X pascal I'm calling bullshit on some of the claims.

DC is amazing. Hopefully with VR they tweak wheel settings: FFB is rather unimpressive right now (g29).

What's your favorite so far?

What's your favorite so far?

Definitely Dirt Rally. Scale, detail, general feeling, everything works great. And it's plug-and-play with menus and UI adjusted for VR.

AC is also good if you can get a decent level of downsampling to clean up everything.

pCars is the least impressive so far. Especially on the Vive.

Cyanity

Banned
Definitely Dirt Rally. Scale, detail, general feeling, everything works great. And it's plug-and-play with menus and UI adjusted for VR.

AC is also good if you can get a decent level of downsampling to clean up everything.

pCars is the least impressive so far. Especially on the Vive.

Uuugh. I've wanted to try Dirt Rally in VR for a while now. Would you recommend your wheel, or a different brand?

jmga

I'm calling it bullshit too.

The RGB argument has been debunked so many times.

I haven't played much driving VR games, but Project Cars looks like shit in VR. I haven't gone in depth enough, but it seems that you can't raise the resolution above 1920x1080 so it's aliased as fuck.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm calling it bullshit too.

The RGB argument has been debunked so many times.

No. RGB is objectivley better for removing the screendoor effect that both Rift and Vive have (they both have same pentile screens, but lenses are different).

Falchion

Driveclub might be one of the things that convince me to buy PSVR one day because it sounds like the VR is on point.

jmga

No. RGB is objectivley better for removing the screendoor effect that both Rift and Vive have (they both have same pentile screens, but lenses are different).

It would be better at the same resolution, but we are talking of 1920x1080 vs 2160x1200.

DieH@rd

Banned
It would be better at the same resolution, but we are talking of 1920x1080 vs 2160x1200.

We are talking about screndoor effect, which is a part of VR image quality. According to vast majority of impressinos, lack of screendoor effect is praised much more than the little higher resolution of Rift/Vive.

LCGeek

formerly sane
VR for racing excites me cause he has my main complaint about cams currently. A vr based cam with infinitely better depth perception will let me enjoy racers even more.

cakely

I am firmly in the cockpit view camp and what I've seen of Driveclub VR makes that game my number one reason for grabbing a PSVR ASAP.

I regret not getting on the pre-order bandwagon when I had the chance.

We can start it right now and spam the hell out of Yoshida and the other Sony Exec twitter accounts.

67136412.jpg

jmga

We are talking about screndoor effect, which is a part of VR image quality. According to vast majority of impressinos, lack of screendoor effect is praised much more than the little higher resolution of Rift/Vive.

Vast majority of impressions I have read during this year say the opposite.

This is from just a week ago.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/playstation-vr-review

Much like the Rift and Vive, before a game actually begins you’ll notice the “screen door” effect that comes with VR gaming, although it’s more pronounced in PSVR due to the inferior screen quality. When you’re not focusing on any particular action or item in a game, you’ll be paying particular attention to the general blurriness of text. Or, when looking at a character’s face, you’ll be alerted to the soft haze that covers their face, failing to focus on particular details thanks to this pronounced issue. It isn’t a deal-breaker, but it does bring to light the differences in display quality between console and PC virtual reality.

spectator

Kills me that it's likely not getting a PS4 Pro patch.

Judging by the release date, it should have Pro support built in (unless Sony isn't enforcing the same dates for their internal teams, but that would be a very silly thing for them to do).

first person isn't that immersive at all imo. You'd think it is. But i never experience it that way.
But in Virtual Reality, it IS.

I hear nothing but great things about this game in VR.

kinggroin

Banned
Wow...pretty big words.

I believe it.

Though to be fair, we have zero racing games BUILT for VR on PC. The ones available range from OK to Not bad at all.

I haven't played much driving VR games, but Project Cars looks like shit in VR. I haven't gone in depth enough, but it seems that you can't raise the resolution above 1920x1080 so it's aliased as fuck.

That's the mirrored view's resolution (what gets shown on the desktop). The problem isn't the in-game resolution (the highest AA settings cleans things up well), the problem is the unrealistic horsepower required to run it WITH good image quality.

We need something built on a VR optimized engine FOR VR.

Dumb question, but is Driveclub VR going to be a separate game completely?

After the cluster that was Driveclub's launch I never picked it up. That being said, I have a PSVR incoming and this would be a title I'd be interested in.

jmga

VR and it's biggest charm. The absolute mess that are the contradictory statements about it...

It's bullshit or Sony and some reviewers has been lying about something lol.
To clarify, I'm not saying that Driveclub VR can't have better IQ than any other PC VR racer they have played.

I'm saying the RGB argument is bullshit. Project CARS pipeline is deferred, while Driveclub VR uses fordward rendering and MSAA is cheap in that case.

That probably explains it.

5taquitos

Dumb question, but is Driveclub VR going to be a separate game completely?

After the cluster that was Driveclub's launch I never picked it up. That being said, I have a PSVR incoming and this would be a title I'd be interested in.
Yes, it's a separate title.

The original is highly recommended though, tons of content if you get the SP.

Top Bottom