• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Yeah VR does feel different but I find reading the track a bit easier in it. Gujo has some noticeable differences between the two versions, no ice cream cones on the track or zebra crossings for instance in VR, which was a pain as I was using that crossing as a braking point!

Yeah same here with breaking points. I tweeted Rushy who confirmed that there are no actual handling differences and only the obvious frame rate increase.

Yeah same here with breaking points. I tweeted Rushy who confirmed that there are no actual handling differences and only the obvious frame rate increase.

Which makes sense, some of the twitchy cars feel a bit easier to drive in VR but that could well be the framerate giving you that bit more feedback to react to.

I had a bit of play with Sharefactory last night to try it's new features and came up with this - bit hard to track everything that's going on at times as the active bits seem to happen at the same time but it's quite funny to see me battling the same guy on two different occasions and him stuffing it into the same barrier both times :) NSFW as my potty mouth let's rip a few times...

https://youtu.be/twUgB65Hv-U

This was quite a good battle again with the same guy for half the race and Drowsy Badger for the rest - if only the Caterham had bloody mirrors I'd have won this!

https://youtu.be/NgcEQEEglqk

Then this was a battle around Old Town in the hypers, same guy yet again whose pretty aggressive in sticking it up the inside but hasn't resorted to blocking on the straights yet (like he does in the first Rimac video which was one of the last races of the night).

https://youtu.be/TUNGCZS0xjw

F-Pina

Managed to move up to 2nd on the Drift Challenge.
You guys are right, changed to hardcore mode and it was much easier to pull off the slides. Still using "normal mode" on the timed challenge though, impossible to handle it properly in hardocore without having to slow down a lot more.

cooldawn

Thanks for letting us know

This changes everything, no wonder Ainsz is sky high! More gaming tonight for me then.

I wonder if this works with tour events too?

Oh I got my DCVR platinum trophy last night, biggest pain was the bloody drifting over the line one as I never do it usually and I always forget!

I've still got that to get along with hit level 60, win two challenges and drive on the grass.

SKNO no.2 in the wombat was my choice for getting the driving on the grass done - there's like a dirt track running around that course so 3 laps and I was done.

Hope the multiplayer servers are back up, I had to do challenges and tour events last night instead. That level 10 skill event is a right pain, Ashii 1 R in the koinegsegg regera in under 50 seconds - had some of my heaviest crashes in VR in that git.

Midpoint Standings
Midpoint_Standings_ch3wk3.png

Remember you have until roughly 10pm on Monday night to take part / improve your time or score.

F-Pina

Got 1st spot on Time Trial. The Bentley is losing it's paint on the walls on some corners :D
Will try to get the 1st spot on the Drift Challenge but damn... will try on later.

Got the PRO today Shannow, it's great. WD2 zero jaggies! :O

Jammy git :)

Got 1st spot on Time Trial. The Bentley is losing it's paint on the walls on some corners :D
Will try to get the 1st spot on the Drift Challenge but damn... will try on later.

Looking at it now you're top of the drifting but Sirenty is leading the time trial, great to see some new blood up there with the usual suspects :)

Wooo, finally got that fat pig to dance!

And dance she did, can't believe you took half a second out of ainsz's time!

F-Pina

Just got a 57.199 on the TT. I definitely think a 56 is possible.

56 looks possible :)
I should get close to your time as soon as I stop screwing up the last 3 corners. Always manage to somehow go about it wrong.

Looking at it now you're top of the drifting but Sirenty is leading the time trial, great to see some new blood up there with the usual suspects :)

Yeap, I was top at TT but the moment I stopped looking Ainsz got it back :p

Motorised Mallard / Kihti has entered the fray with the lead in the drift event and 4th in the time trial! Can PDogg defend his honour as the reigning drift champion? Can Ainsz withstand the pressure from those eager to usurp him?!? The time of reckoning draws near...

F-Pina

Can't play more :(
The times I got are the ones that will stand.
But it was a great competition! Lots of cursing at your names on the leaderboards :p Sorry :)

Week_3_Leaderboard.png

Week_3_Standings.png

This week certainly stirred things up, a great win for Abandoned Trolley in the drift event and new entrants F-Pina and Motorised Mallard claiming top 5 spots in both events. Ainsz maintained his 100% record in the time trial however and has stretched even further ahead whilst Sirenty's winless streak continues...

Had a bit of a bad night last night hence the late update and no new challenges but should have the new ones issued tonight...

This week certainly stirred things up, a great win for Abandoned Trolley in the drift event and new entrants F-Pina and Motorised Mallard claiming top 5 spots in both events. Ainsz maintained his 100% record in the time trial however and has stretched even further ahead whilst Sirenty's winless streak continues...

Had a bit of a bad night last night hence the late update and no new challenges but should have the new ones issued tonight...

Sorry to hear things weren't too great last night, hope it's all sorted now.

Yeah once I could activate hardcore mode it made the drift scores possible, knew that I could beat each section due to so many retries, just had to string them all in to the one run!

F-Pina

Awesome work DHC-Shannow. Thanks for putting in the hours.
Great competition here, been on GAF for many years and haven't really noticed in the community that we were having these small competitions.

@AbandonedTrolley
Didn't see you in the leaderboards until you drove in through the weekend and took away the Drift victory :)

@ Ains and Sirenty
Awesome times guys! I was really cool to compete during the week. Shame I couldn't keep up on Sunday and Monday to try and take back the 1st place.

Great competition here, been on GAF for many years and haven't really noticed in the community that we were having these small competitions.

@AbandonedTrolley
Didn't see you in the leaderboards until you drove in through the weekend and took away the Drift victory :)

@ Ains and Sirenty
Awesome times guys! I was really cool to compete during the week. Shame I couldn't keep up on Sunday and Monday to try and take back the 1st place.

Once I realised you could switch to hardcore handling for drift challenges it made it a lot easier to score high. It's a huge advantage over standard handling but didn't realise it was possible to change on these.

@AbandonedTrolley

@ Ains and Sirenty

No problem, thanks for the recognition :)

We've run a few different events over the past couple of years and I think that extra bit of competition helps to keep things interesting.

Everyone should have received this weeks challenges, they did actually go out yesterday around 8.30 but ainsz hadn't received his so I resent them all again tonight. It's Iquique in Chile this week, with the 599 Evoluzione. Ainsz just informed me it's one of his favourite cars however so we've probably got even more of a task on our hands to dethrone him!

Once I realised you could switch to hardcore handling for drift challenges it made it a lot easier to score high. It's a huge advantage over standard handling but didn't realise it was possible to change on these.

Yeah its a bit of a bugger really, I'm not keen on switching modes to get a better score but it makes a hell of a difference. We'll just have to make everyone aware of it and how to do it. My scores on the challenges were set in normal mode so I'll have to go back and redo them (which is always the plan anyway, but I struggle to tear myself away from DCVR tbh).

Edit: DC vs DCVR comparison video thread...

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1319263

SHAREfactory_20161109230921.gif

cooldawn

I really do like these PSVR DriveClub gif's. Could get some Top Gear'esque techniques going on.

Gone from a car that doesn't turn to one that doesn't want to stop turning!
So...about that, did anyone like the Bentley? At all??!

Speared on by the finale of this weekend championship showdown I played a bit of DriveClub this evening. Decided to try last weeks Bentley challenge in 'Normal' mode. Bagged third behind Sirenty and Ainsz. I know I could be a little quicker so I'll have another bash sometime soon.

I'm still a few levels short to able to participate in the VR time trial.

Damn, sorry about that Bud! I keep saying I'll check the reqd driver level before setting a challenge then forget all about it :-(

I really do like these PSVR DriveClub gif's. Could get some Top Gear'esque techniques going on.

So...about that, did anyone like the Bentley? At all??!

Speared on by the finale of this weekend championship showdown I played a bit of DriveClub this evening. Decided to try last weeks Bentley challenge in 'Normal' mode. Bagged third behind Sirenty and Ainsz. I know I could be a little quicker so I'll have another bash sometime soon.

TBH no I didn't like the Bentley, maybe on a track more suited to its strengths it'd be good but I like really attacking those tight 90 corners and that not something the Bentley is that great at.

I had a great online race last night that was quite unlike any I've had before...

https://youtu.be/QBTlsqzwuMk

This is the game I keep coming back to on my PS4. It's why I can't bring myself to sell the Playstation despite having gotten a more powerful gaming PC and a Xbox One S for UHD blu rays.

The graphics are still miles above everything else. While image quality isn't great, I find that it doesn't matter compared to the fundamental greatness of the lighting that the graphics engine delivers.

The game just captures a realness that is so unlike other games. It doesn't have that video game look.

BF1 is a damn fine looking game, but I prefer Driveclub's look.

I want to compliment the feel of driving, and the environments too. The environments are so well chosen. They have a subtle, real, natural beauty. Norway's winter landscape is so recognizable to me. Canada's spring/summer blue sky and lush alpine valleys remind me of driving in Switzerland.

I wish we could see how Project Evolution would have approached other places. I'm dreaming of places like Monument Valley, Iceland, or Marocco.

What locations have you guys hoped for?

I'm sad that there probably wont be a Driveclub 2, wont be a pro patch, wont be any more expansions, and won't even be another game with this engine.

This game is such a gem, it and its makers deserved a better fate.

This is the game I keep coming back to on my PS4. It's why I can't bring myself to sell the Playstation despite having gotten a more powerful gaming PC and a Xbox One S for UHD blu rays.

The graphics are still miles above everything else. While image quality isn't great, I find that it doesn't matter compared to the fundamental greatness of the lighting that the graphics engine delivers.

The game just captures a realness that is so unlike other games. It doesn't have that video game look.

BF1 is a damn fine looking game, but I prefer Driveclub's look.

I want to compliment the feel of driving, and the environments too. The environments are so well chosen. They have a subtle, real, natural beauty. Norway's winter landscape is so recognizable to me. Canada's spring/summer blue sky and lush alpine valleys remind me of driving in Switzerland.

I wish we could see how Project Evolution would have approached other places. I'm dreaming of places like Monument Valley, Iceland, or Marocco.

What locations have you guys hoped for?

I'm sad that there probably wont be a Driveclub 2, wont be a pro patch, wont be any more expansions, and won't even be another game with this engine.

This game is such a gem, it and its makers deserved a better fate.

The game certainly could have used a better fate, not saying that where it is now is horrible of course. But I sure would have loved more of this, my only hope is that Evo will/can work on something similiar in their new home.

I'm sure that the ride wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows for the guys of Evolution but ending up at Codemasters isn't really a horrible fate for them in my poorly informed opinion.

farmerboy

The game certainly could have used a better fate, not saying that where it is now is horrible of course. But I sure would have loved more of this, my only hope is that Evo will/can work on something similiar in their new home.

I'm sure that the ride wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows for the guys of Evolution but ending up at Codemasters isn't really a horrible fate for them in my poorly informed opinion.

I will totally be supporting whatever they do at Codemasters. Which in the future I hope includes 3rd party development of Motorstorm on PS5 in 2020. ;-)

Up to second!

I better take a look at the tables tonight before time runs out.

Had some nice races with DHC last night, although he pretty much whooped everyone in each race!

Good news to see that DRIVECLUB broke back in to the top 20 UK sales in November. Probably bundled copies, but they all count!

Had some good races online with Abandoned Trolley last night, first time I've actually raced with a team mate in DCVR when thats what I did most of the time in OG DC. Hopefully we'll do it again soon and it'd be great if some other DCVR playing peeps joined too (so we can get a nice clean server for a change!).

Anyway I've been getting carried away with the sharefactory gif generator as you can see below....

SHAREfactory_20161127181621.gif

SHAREfactory_20161127181744.gif

SHAREfactory_20161127182045.gif

SHAREfactory_20161127233236.gif

SHAREfactory_20161128001227.gif

Oh and finally this weeks challenge ends tonight @ approx 8.30pm so make sure you're on early if you want to go for the top spot - at the mo Ainsz is leading the time trial as bloody usual ;-) and Motorised Mallard is claiming the drift as his....

I better take a look at the tables tonight before time runs out.

Had some nice races with DHC last night, although he pretty much whooped everyone in each race!

Good news to see that DRIVECLUB broke back in to the top 20 UK sales in November. Probably bundled copies, but they all count!

Lol beaten! This post wasn't there when I started writing mine... Wow nice to see DC back up in the charts, 2 years after release!

I will totally be supporting whatever they do at Codemasters. Which in the future I hope includes 3rd party development of Motorstorm on PS5 in 2020. ;-)

I wonder if they'll get given the Dirt IP to work on, maybe in a more Motorstorm kinda way.... Don't Sony own the Motorstorm IP?

F-Pina

I should be on tonight trying to take the TT 1st place. I know how to do it, just need to manage not to screw up :)

The Drift challenge is beyond me. Can't seem to understand with this car if hardcore mode is better or worse to pull it off. And of course with hardcore mode the Ferrarri just goes wherever it wants :p

I should be on tonight trying to take the TT 1st place. I know how to do it, just need to manage not to screw up :)

The Drift challenge is beyond me. Can't seem to understand with this car if hardcore mode is better or worse to pull it off. And of course with hardcore mode the Ferrarri just goes wherever it wants :p

Yeah I'm not so sure with this car, previous challenge, it made the undriftable Bentley drift, the Ferrari doesn't really need help with that. I've had similar scoring with hardcore both on and off.

Ainsz

I wonder if they'll get given the Dirt IP to work on, maybe in a more Motorstorm kinda way.... Don't Sony own the Motorstorm IP?

It's wishful thinking but I guess the EVO team could develop a Motorstorm in the same way Insomniac would develop a Rachet and Clank or Resistance. Regardless of name, I'm with Farmer, would love to see the Motorstorm format return.

This weeks results!

Week_4_Standings.png

Week_4_Leaderboard.png

So Sirenty breaks his winning duck and is the first to deny Ainsz a time trial win, whilst PDogg reclaims his drift throne. Some great battles over this weeks results, so much so that Motorised Mallard who was leading the drift at lunch time is eventually relegated to 5th by the late chargers.

You should have received this weeks final challenges (C63 AMG around port of vancouver) but if you haven't then let me know.

Ainsz looks like his gonnna do a Rosberg and take the championship but it is still within reach of Sirenty if he can claim both challenges and apply some delaying tactics to put Ainsz back in 3rd.....

Lol ouch! The difference between 1st and 4th! Still looks like 3rd place overall is gonna be yours bud :)

Assuming PDogg continues his 1 event strategy. I'm just happy I actually won a drift event one week and kept him from the clean sweep.

Also would say that had I of known about the hardcore option in earlier weeks some of those scores may well have been different too. We shall see in upcoming challenges if you continue to run them.

Top Bottom