• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullah88

Aaaand shortly after this post I unlocked my first usable accolade sticker for completed Single Events. Huzzah.

Slapped that puppy on all of my custom design slots to celebrate but was surprised to see that I couldn't add it to the club design when on one of my cars. I understand that only the club leader can set the design and colors, but for some reason it just seemed weird that I couldn't put the accolades on my own car, ya know?

Are there club specific accolades that you can put on the club design?

MP accolades are not online yet. i also have my single player accolade on when playing online

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
that wasn't to servers load, Evo said there is undetected bug in the netcode. PSN servers held destiny easily, DC wouldn't stress it at all.

Yeah bit Activation had a pretty good idea Bungies next game would sell by the truckload, it was even the most preordered new IP. Rushy said that no one expected DC to sell as many as it did, it even surprised them.

Yeah bit Activation had a pretty good idea Bungies next game would sell by the truckload, it was even the most preordered new IP. Rushy said that no one expected DC to sell as many as it did, it even surprised them.

did Rushy say DC sold higher than expectation?

Amazing news man. well deserved honestly

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So it's Sonys fault for not giving them enough support then?

First party. Biggest first party title of the year for Sony. Been delayed a year and shown off at every event. Hype was real. It's a shame.

I guess. It's definitely a shame. You never wanna see a studio trip and fall at the starting line like that.

Personally I find it a bit inconsiderate and discouraging for the team to be reading so many disparaging remarks after the onslaught of critics calling their game "soul-less".

I remember when games didn't need online, and just a good, solid game to play and you'd spend the money to play it and just enjoy it. Nowadays we'd rather burn game devs at the stake for an unforseen mishap.

It's enough to make some people call it quits with making games altogether with your fanbase acting like they do sometimes.

After all it's them making the games we play, and we are playing it and they are trying to fix it.

Pre-launch, it was an excellent game. Post-server issues I'm still glad I spent the money on it. It's a top notch racer.

NotSaladin

Neo Member
I guess. It's definitely a shame. You never wanna see a studio trip and fall at the starting line like that.

Personally I find it a bit inconsiderate and discouraging for the team to be reading so many disparaging remarks after the onslaught of critics calling their game "soul-less".

I remember when games didn't need online, and just a good, solid game to play and you'd spend the money to play it and just enjoy it. Nowadays we'd rather burn game devs at the stake for an unforseen mishap.

It's enough to make some people call it quits with making games altogether with your fanbase acting like they do sometimes.

After all it's them making the games we play, and we are playing it and they are trying to fix it.

Pre-launch, it was an excellent game. Post-server issues I'm still glad I spent the money on it. It's a top notch racer.

Well said. Working in the industry myself, and it can be incredibly discouraging when things like this happen. Especially those laying the blame solely at Rushys feet - never understood this.

Evo have my sympathy because they did a Beta but unfortunately for them they didn't encounter this netcode issue. Shit happens and it is how you deal with it as a team.

Communication has been good and it is obviously pretty severe since it isn't a quick fix.

I'm still enjoying the game even when offline and I am really looking forward to when it is fully online.

Just hit a glitch where the guy in the front of the starting line got out a full 20 seconds before everyone else in the race could even move.

Recorded the race so will post soon. Come on EVO...

I wondered if something was going on when I was looking at a leaderboard for a race I've been doing. My best time is 3:10 and there's a bunch of 2:15s which seems impossible.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Well said. Working in the industry myself, and it can be incredibly discouraging when things like this happen. Especially those laying the blame solely at Rushys feet - never understood this.

Evo have my sympathy because they did a Beta but unfortunately for them they didn't encounter this netcode issue. Shit happens and it is how you deal with it as a team.

Communication has been good and it is obviously pretty severe since it isn't a quick fix.

I'm still enjoying the game even when offline and I am really looking forward to when it is fully online.

Good post. If anything comes out of this it will be a lesson learnt. :)

I wondered if something was going on when I was looking at a leaderboard for a race I've been doing. My best time is 3:10 and there's a bunch of 2:15s which seems impossible.
I dont think the leaderboards are matching up with the proper race. Some of the tour championships take like 7 min total and the leaderboards say 1:40.. its not possible. Something is screwy.

kyser73

Because online doesn't work! They say they did capacity testing, but then online has been fucked since the moment the game launched due to too many connections for their servers.

So if I have a list of 50 tests to carry out, I carry out all 50 successfully and something still breaks, does this mean my testing was wrong?

No, it means something outside the parameters of the testing happened. As it is outside testing parameters, it most likely means it was an unforeseen error, which couldn't have been tested against.

I say this as someone who works with both software and networking and has experienced exactly the same situation the guys at Evo are having - prior to going into the wild, everything checks off against all the tests you think or are told you need to run.

You go live, everything goes titsup and you've no idea why and need to find the fault. The problem being that in order to find the fault you need to have live users, but no-one can get live because of the fault.

I was lucky - I only had 50 users to worry about, and could roll the remaining 300 or so back to the pre-fuckup instance quickly, but it still took us a week to find the problem and fix it. We'd even had a live environment test the weekend before on the production server and it was working then.

Sometimes shit doesn't go wrong until it's live in the wild, and then you end up looking like complete cocks, irrespective of what you've done pre-launch.

I understand that people are annoyed about this - I am too - but I'm also sick of the armchair technical analysis over this. There is no way you can know how this error occurred, so please just stop with the 'They fucked up, how could they not know this was going to happen' stuff.

tl:dr - sometimes testing and simulation won't show up a fault that happens in a wholy live environment.

viveks86

My god, the McLaren P1... Using KERS/DRS... its just.. i cant. Wow.

Edit: GAFCLUB ranked 199. Nice.

Nice. We had actually slipped a 100 ranks this evening. Got through a bunch of pro events to get us back up to 209. Nice to see us break the 200 mark. Onwards and upwards!

Nice. We had actually slipped a 100 ranks this evening. Got through a bunch of pro events to get us back up to 209. Nice to see us break the 200 mark. Onwards and upwards!
Nice! Plus when we get a full house in the club we should climb even faster.

I finished almost all of the tour, Im at 215 stars. I have a few stars *cough* marussia drift *cough* left to do. I should be able to knock them off soon.

CLEEK

If it was impossible to test online components prior to launch, every game would suffer from this. They don't. If your testing doesn't cover real world usage, your methodology, test case, tools or scripting is fucked.

I'm not arm chair btw. I've project managed numerous roll outs of client facing systems. The early ones were riddled with issues as our company didn't have the right tools or methodologies in place. Now we do, and teething issues at launch are at a minimum. And our company is a tiny fraction the size of SCEE.

You think Halo MCC will launch with 1,2,3... weeks of downtime?

If it was impossible to test online components prior to launch, every game would suffer from this. They don't. If your testing doesn't cover real world usage, your methodology, test case, tools or scripting is fucked.

I'm not arm chair btw. I've project managed numerous roll outs of client facing systems. The early ones were riddled with issues as our company didn't have the right tools or methodologies in place. Now we do, and teething issues at launch are at a minimum. And our company is a tiny fraction the size of SCEE.

You think Halo MCC will launch with 1,2,3... weeks of downtime?

you are talking like all Sony games have suffered 1 week downtime, EVO screwed up with this, they are working hard to fix it. actually it has been running fine for me all day today.

CLEEK

you are talking like all Sony games have suffered 1 week downtime, EVO screwed up with this, they are working hard to fix it. actually it has been running fine for me all day today.

I'm saying the opposite of this. Major networking issues aren't the norm. Whenever they do occur, the buck stops with the devs.

I can picture what they've been going through since launch to fix this, so I cut them a lot of slack for the first few days. My goodwill has run out.

Kumubou

Online seemed more stable, but I'm on the west coast of the US and it seems like peak for this game is during the evening in the EU. I haven't seen leaderboards work yet but I have gotten ghosts from other players to show up randomly during time trials, so it seems like at least some times are getting uploaded.

Also had a funny issue where the game partially ate some club invites, where the recipients got them, accepted them, and then the game did nothing with it... but they could then go in-game, search for the club and join it like they were invited. Weird.

leng jai

So I tried turning off the music for this game and instantly something felt off. Dare I say the game lost a bit of soul without it.

hamchan

So I tried turning off the music for this game and instantly something felt off. Dare I say the game lost a bit of soul without it.

I think it's a bit dull without some music to pump me up. I wish there was an option like on GT5 where you could play custom music straight from the console's hard drive but with the PS4 Sony would probably make you use music unlimited. I would totally put on some Initial D Eurobeat while playing the game.

I got this one on accident, but if anyone wants an easy way to get the Cleanup trophy, then go to the Mini GP race in the Rookie tour. Simple track and the AI isn't really aggressive enough to cause any collisions with you. So it's all on you to not run into them or into the track.

foxbeldin

Submitting it again :

Driveclub |OT2| Always alone. Always disconnected.

I did receive an invite to a club yesterday so it's getting better, i guess.

First question - Yes. Release the product when it works.
I love the game and I'm very supportive of the people at Evo but, let's face it, they fucked up big time. The "bu... Bu... But... We passed every tests" is not an excuse because there's nothing here that couldn't have been detected with an open beta. I don't know who is the person that considered an open beta was not necessary for a game that relies so much on an online infrastructure but he pretty much hurt the brand big time and the PSN took a hit too because people will associate it to that failure whatever the technical reason behind it.

I hope Sony's first party studios will get the message. If your game has an important online component, do an open beta god dammit!

theWB27

Just played two online races....damn. You have your knuckleheads intentionally ramming you off the road, but even then you don't feel like you're at a disadvantage when they do so.

I may not win very many races, but it feels just as gratifying still being able to add points to your club in different ways. This game has scratched my Grid 1 itch with how meaty the racing, sounds, paint trading. I never played Motorstorm, but you can tell Evo gets in your face racing that's competitive.

Then it's going to go to another level once we start racing in the rain/snow at night....whew.

Driveclub |OT2| Error 404 - Sorry the Club you were looking for cannot be found.

Apologies, as I'm sure this has been beaten to death and back and I hate to pollute the OT, but is there any time frame for when they plan to release the PS+ version?

Did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything indicating any particular time or date.

Nafai1123

Banned
My god, the McLaren P1... Using KERS/DRS... its just.. i cant. Wow.

Edit: GAFCLUB ranked 199. Nice.

The sound when you activate KERS in the cabin...mmmmm. I just unlocked it too. It's so good.

Nearly every car I fell in love with after unlocking, but this...this is a unicorn.

Vodh

I love the game and I'm very supportive of the people at Evo but, let's face it, they fucked up big time. The "bu... Bu... But... We passed every tests" is not an excuse because there's nothing here that couldn't have been detected with an open beta. I don't know who is the person that considered an open beta was not necessary for a game that relies so much on an online infrastructure but he pretty much hurt the brand big time and the PSN took a hit too because people will associate it to that failure whatever the technical reason behind it.

I hope Sony's first party studios will get the message. If your game has an important online component, do an open beta god dammit!

Sure, they fucked up, but all they're really saying by that is that they didn't intentionally release a game with broken online, they thought it would work.

Doesn't make it less of a fuck-up, but in my eyes there's a difference between releasing a game you know won't work until you fix it and releasing a game that ends up not working because you screwed up with the testing methodology.

Apologies, as I'm sure this has been beaten to death and back and I hate to pollute the OT, but is there any time frame for when they plan to release the PS+ version?

Did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything indicating any particular time or date.
Not anytime soon I guess, they have to fix the online part of the game and, after that, they should be absolutely sure the amount of PS+ free edition player will not kill the servers again. They can't fail once more so I guess the PS+ edition will only be available once everything is sorted out, tested out and safe. That could take some time and I wonder if they shouldn't bite the bullet and scrap the free edition if there's a risk to hurt the players who paid for the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom