• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help, Looking for a racing game might enjoy.

Pilgrimzero

I know nothing of the genre but I want to play one that has it where you race and win money. That money can be used to update your car(s). Better speed. Better tires. Faster engine. Etc etc. Then you race some more win more $ and rinse and repeat. Even better tires even better speed even better handling etc.

Now, the sticky point is, I'm not looking to drop a bunch of cash on this. Something cheap (old gen?) that's on say Steam or something I can DL and play on a PS5 or XSX?

Oh and cool racing locations. Like through cities and deserts and beaches etc. Not just around a racing track surrounded by stands.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Kvally

Banned
I know nothing of the genre but I want to play one that has it where you race and win money. That money can be used to update your car(s). Better speed. Better tires. Faster engine. Etc etc. Then you race some more win more $ and rinse and repeat. Even better tires even better speed even better handling etc.

Now, the sticky point is, I'm not looking to drop a bunch of cash on this. Something cheap (old gen?) that's on say Steam or something I can DL and play on a PS5 or XSX?

Oh and cool racing locations. Like through cities and deserts and beaches etc. Not just around a racing track surrounded by stands.

Any ideas? Thanks!
You will find that many old racers can no longer be purchased due to licensing issues. And because of that, older racers are not backwards compatible. As mentioned above, if you have Game Pass, that would be an inexpensive easy entry. Games like Forza Horizon 5, Need for Speed, Dirt 5 are games that pay out tons of money, and are included with Game Pass. If you don't have Game Pass, you could buy older Need for Speed games that are backwards compatible (or say, Dirt 5 which is $15) with PS5/XSX for dirt cheap.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't enjoy racers resembling real life (even if made to be arcadey like Sega stuff) without a wheel and pedals set up so I would similarly advice going for something that just doesn't exist in real life instead, sci fi stuff like F-Zero and Wipeout with mechanics and vehicles made to be controlled with gamepads, sticks and buttons to begin with. BallisticNG on Steam and elsewhere is cheap and good in that mould. I suppose wacky Kart racers would be an exception as karts obviously exist in real life but in such games between jumps and weapons they don't really resemble that at all. Outrun-type drifting spectacles kinda fit in that exception border too among some other stuff probably.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If you want the best…

mario-kart-8-hyrule.large.jpg

Asphalt 1-5.

It seems like you are looking to spend real money but not too much, there you go.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Most modern racing games are like that, unfortunately. Your best option is Forza Horizon 4/5 or Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered. Bot are on Steam, have arcadey gameplay, exotic cars and locations, and Forza also has car customization, although the feeling of progression is kinda non-existent because you can get the fastest cars basically from the start of the game.

Last edited:

sodstall

Lego Racers 1 & 2. The first one is pretty straight forward race all the circuits and win. The second game has races, some open world driving, car building and 3 different categories of upgrading your car. Both are on myabondonware and are easy to get running.

Tc6j6EK.jpg
sq7gx0r.jpg

First post already nailed it, but ya. Forza Horizon 4 or 5. Both on gamepass.

4 regularly goes on sale for $20 too, since you said you’d prefer older games. It’s still rock solid and fun to play.

Guilty_AI

and cool racing locations. Like through cities and deserts and beaches etc. Not just around a racing track surrounded by stands.
Kind of a dying breed tbh. Closest match i can think that isn't pre-2010 is Wreckfest

Forza Horizon 4&5 would also fit, however keep in mind progression in those games are really flat. You play for one hour and theres already 5 super cars in your garage.

Apart from those, NFS Heat or The Crew 2 maybe, though those games are usually considered pretty mid.

Last edited:

The Stig

Kind of a dying breed tbh. Closest match i can think that isn't pre-2010 is Wreckfest

Forza Horizon 4&5 would also fit, however keep in mind progression in those games are really flat. You play for one hour and theres already 5 super cars in your garage.

Apart from those, NFS Heat or The Crew 2 maybe, though those games are usually considered pretty mid.
I second this. top game

GHG

I was going to say Horizon 4 or 5 until I saw the progression elements are important to you, the sense of "progression" in those games is an absolute joke, you get thrown everything far too easily right from the start. For that reason I'll recommend NFS Unbound:

If not then this:

Can be had for cheap on steam:

https://gg.deals/game/wreckfest/

RavageX

Test Drive Unlimited would be good. Midnight Club LA, Need for Speed Most Wanted (original), NFS Unbound seems ok. Forza throws cars at you and i personally dont like that.

nikos

Currently on sale for $9.99 in the US. You earn cash but car/bike/boat/plane upgrades also drop as loot after events. The game is a lot of fun, with the only caveat being a 60 FPS cap due to its physics engine.

As others mentioned, you could also go with the Forza Horizon and Need for Speed games.

Last edited:
The Crew games require always online in single player... a deal breaker for most people including me. Test Drive Unlimited has life simulation elements that you might not want, even if the games are great.

Last edited:

RavageX

The Crew games require always online in single player... a deal breaker for most people including me. Test Drive Unlimited has life simulation elements that you might not want, even if the games are great.
This can be true, but I personally found some enjoyment in actually walking around a dealership looking at cars before buying. (if I am remembering correctly)

Guilty_AI

Test Drive Unlimited has life simulation elements that you might not want, even if the games are great.
I'd say life simulation elements in TDU are fairly minimal and very superficial, can be ignored 99% of the time too.

They're a bit more present in TDU2 but it mostly comes in the form of annoying cutscenes with even more annoying characters.

Lasha

Star Wars Episode racing checks all of your boxes if you aren't married to cars. It has a campaign where you unlock and upgrade different pod racers. It's one of my favorite racing games and definitely worth 10$ or so.

Forza Horizon 5.

I'd recommend Forza 7 but you can't buy it anymore I don't think. Nothing else really worth playing until Forza (8) or Horizon 6. Project Cars 2 is fun but not sure you can buy that either lol.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Star Wars Episode racing checks all of your boxes if you aren't married to cars. It has a campaign where you unlock and upgrade different pod racers. It's one of my favorite racing games and definitely worth 10$ or so.

This is true. Great sense of speed. You can get it for $2 now on PC since its on sale.

Umbasaborne

Banned
capsule_616x353.jpg

Best arcade racer in years, dont sleep on it like ea slept on marketing it

Just make sure to skip the cut scenes and mute the voices, the story is pretty bad

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

If you have GP, a PC or an XSX, being you don't want to spend... then get FM. But I a thinking, if you had GP you, would have this already and this thread wouldn't need to exists.

If you are willing to spend some though and say have a PS5, then just get GT7. It also generally gets more support through the gen than say Forza.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Old Gen? How old we talkin, cuz I'm thinking Top Gear on the SNES.

If not tryna go back that far I still think PGR is one of the best racing games. The obvious choice for newer games is Forza.

If you get Gamepass, you basically have access to all the Forza you'll ever need, plus Need for Speed games. I'm not sure if Dirt 5 is still on GP, but that might be worth a shot.

Top Bottom