• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DrDisrespect permanently banned from Twitch [Now Streaming on YouTube]

Ironbunny

Take that Tinfoil hat off

Hmm...Nope

tenor.gif

jigglet

Banned
I know this might seem like a stupid question but...if he's got such a huge fan base, why is he relying on these platforms? Why not just host it himself? There must be many open source, highly scalable video casters out there. Just set it up on a hugely scalable platform like Azure or AWS and just take full control over things. No more bannings and whatnot.

Pfhunkie

I know this might seem like a stupid question but...if he's got such a huge fan base, why is he relying on these platforms? Why not just host it himself? There must be many open source, highly scalable video casters out there. Just set it up on a hugely scalable platform like Azure or AWS and just take full control over things. No more bannings and whatnot.
Because if you only stream on your own site you lose a lot of growth potential. In a business, no matter how successful you are, you want to keep growing. Now, hosting your stream on your own site and another popular platform might be a good idea.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Advertising/sponsorships.

Last edited:

Nydus

No that's not easy. It is in fact really hard to build a streaming service and you need a constant influx of fresh blood or you will be forgotten. You can't be discovered on your own page with nothing else to see.

jigglet

Banned
No that's not easy. It is in fact really hard to build a streaming service and you need a constant influx of fresh blood or you will be forgotten. You can't be discovered on your own page with nothing else to see.

I'd like to think even if Doc's viewership dropped to 0 he'd still be casting, acting as if he's still the #1 streamer in the world. I can picture it now.

Grinchy

Banned
So I guess he's just leaving this up until he goes actually live tomorrow? I noticed a ton of donations and "members" on the top of the chat window. Does "member" men they gave him $4.99?

It seems like he's made a killing by not even showing up yet, so tomorrow will probably be crazy. I don't know how long it'll last, but I guess it's good to see. Hopefully he wins a lawsuit against Twitch as well if they really did just decide overnight that they didn't feel like paying his contract.

notseqi

That's what I mean. He used to be primarily on Twitch and also release his videos on Youtube. It would basically be the same thing.
It's the synergy between his appeal, the games he is playing, advertising/sponsors and the greater ecosystem twitch and youtube are able to maintain that gives those platforms a visibility which in turn is highly controllable. You can jump from stream to stream and be presented with the same tier1 sponsors.

There also seems to be a significant dropoff after the second platform is established.

nemiroff

Gold Member
how is this even possible. I've barely heard of him before. Guess watching lobosjr makes everyone look uninteresting

He carved his own niche, his character is pretty unique, he understands how lacking Twitch is/was in production value. He actually has some talent, and he is at times very entertaining (unless he strays out of character and ends up in an unfunny pissy mood). He is also very good at raking in money from the community by acting like he cares (seriously, I have no idea why people donate their money to a multi-millionaire just to get a badge in a chat window where among 50K other people it will disappear in a fraction of a second anyway).

Edit: Hmm, I might've been a bit unfair to the most dedicated fans there... I mean, I am sort of a fan myself, and I do actually get why people like the feeling of taking part of a community. So my apologies to yous.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I would imagine even with his fame, it may not be worth it to create his own source of discovery. Twitch did that for him over time. Youtube honestly has the algorithms in place to boost him much further than he could do on his own.

He carved his own niche, his character is pretty unique, he understands how lacking Twitch is/was in production value. He actually has some talent, and he is at times very entertaining (unless he strays out of character and ends up in an unfunny pissy mood). He is also very good at raking in money from the community by acting like he cares (seriously, I have no idea why people donate their money to a multi-millionaire just to get a badge in a chat window where among 50K other people it will disappear in a fraction of a second anyway).

Edit: Hmm, I might've been a bit unfair to the most dedicated fans there... I mean, I am sort of a fan myself, and I do actually get why people like the feeling of taking part of a community. So my apologies to yous.

I dont get this either. I totally understand supporting streamers with a sub/donation. But doing that with people like Shroud/Ninja/Summit/Lirik/Doc etc is like donating to Tom Cruise or Leo Dicaprio. They have more money than the people donating will see in a lifetime.

Skyr

How the hell have some here such a hard time wrapping their head around subscribing/donating to streamers?

People are entertained and get enjoyment out of watching them. Just like you are entertained when going to the movies or playing games.
So are you not seeing mainstream movies or play games by microsoft or sony because they are billion dollar companies?

The only difference is that you have to pay for games or movies BEFORE seeing them, even if you don't even know if you will enjoy them or not.
With streamers you decide if it was worth it for you or not. And if you get tons of hours of enjoyment out of it, why not support them so they can continue to do their job.

What is so hard do understand about it?

INC

How the hell have some here such a hard time wrapping their head around subscribing/donating to streamers?

People are entertained and get enjoyment out of watching them. Just like you are entertained when going to the movies or playing games.
So are you not seeing mainstream movies or play games by microsoft or sony because they are billion dollar companies?

The only difference is that you have to pay for games or movies BEFORE seeing them, even if you don't even know if you will enjoy them or not.
With streamers you decide if it was worth it for you or not. And if you get tons of hours of enjoyment out of it, why not support them so they can continue to do their job.

The concepts is simple to understand

Just why would u donate $1000+

Their money, can do what they like with it I guess

Thabass

This. If you don't think it's worth it to you. Don't donate / sub. Pretty simple. You don't "have to get it". People will spend their money how they see fit.

TheContact

it's more cost effective to use another platform and ultimately pays more when all things (free promotions from the site, bigger user base to attract new viewers, ad revenue, sub revenue, etc..) are considered.

desertdroog

I'm glad to see he is coming back. He's a good counter to CCP .50 cent army in online games.

He will own the reds while wearing red...and a mullet. The 80's 2.0.

TheContact

I think it was Soda that came out and basically said it's pointless to do donations to him because he makes so much $ elsewhere. Subbing I can understand, because it stops the ads (if you don't use adblock, or can't such as using Twitch apps on mobile devices), gives you extra emotes and other minor things. Donations make a little less sense since the only return you get on that is the possibility the streamer reads your donation and you get a little dopamine rush. But if that's what they want to spend their money on, who cares? Twitch can be more entertaining than Netflix for some.

Last edited:
Top Bottom