• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ |OT| “What’s a Goku?” – King Cold

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
use.jpg

Developer: Arc System Works
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows
Release day: World Wide: January 26, 2018, Japan: February 1st,2018
After the success of the Xenoverse series, it’s time tointroduce a new classic 2D DRAGON BALL fighting game for this generation’sconsoles. DRAGON BALL FighterZ is born from what makes the DRAGON BALL seriesso loved and famous: endless spectacular fights with its all- powerfulfighters. Partnering with Arc System Works, DRAGON BALL FighterZ maximizes highend Anime graphics and brings easy to learn but difficult to master fightinggameplay to audiences worldwide.
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/dragon-ball-fighterz-ps4/

use2.jpg

DLC
8 Characters

Anime Music Pack will be available by March 1
Commentator Voice Pack will be available by April 15

https://www.google.com/amp/www.play...nime-music-commentator-dlc-packs-delayed/amp/

Why should you play?

Amazing visuals that rival the anime.
Beginner-friendly gameplay with more than enough depth for tournament veterans.
Near flawless online play in good connections.
Over 10 hours of Story Mode content.

Bandai Namco is well-known for shipping Dragon Ball games that appeal to the masses. The Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Budokai series are some of the best-selling anime games to date. Arc System Works has been a staple developer in the fighting game genre for many years, dating back to the original Guilty Gear. The two companies have joined forces to create what is hands down the best anime fighting game ever to grace the digital shelves of your PlayStation 4, Xbox One or PC. If you’re a Dragon Ball fan, or you just love fighting games, you do not want to miss out on Dragon Ball FighterZ.
https://www.primagames.com/games/dragon-ball-fighterz/gotw/prima-game-week-dragon-ball-fighterz

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Great game, looking forward.
I’m also wondering if they’ll release it on Switch anytime soon...

Xclusion

Currently getting through each characters combo tutorial, it's definitely easy to get into for casual fans but it does get pretty in-depth with combo timing.

Codes 208

Oh holy shit i can post now!

Anyways, I really hope we eventually get the option to 3v3 bots in party mode. I really want to team up with my buds without resorting to a full 6 players roster.
Great game, looking forward.
I’m also wondering if they’ll release it on Switch anytime soon...
Hmm. If XV2 has anything to say, it may be awhile. I would double dip in a heartbeat though...

I'm playing on PC using keyboard (which works fine). The standard key bindings are a bit odd, though. Recommended settings for keyboard, anyone?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Goku's voice is awesome in Japanese and it matches his personality and body language. But he also has his iconic English voice. I switched it back to Japanese after a few rounds in English. By default the language is set to Japanese.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I was a little disappointed with yesterday. The ring match system was completely bunk so after an hour of skipping lobbies in a foolish attempt to just play against friends, me and my friends had to play the arena match system. Which worked, but standing around looking at chibis waiting for the RNG gods to set up a match between us wasnt ideal.

So not the best first impression, but technical issues aside the gameplay is solid. Definitely the smoothest DBZ fighting game I've ever played without it feeling too floaty like the budokai series.

What characters have everyone tried to main so far? I've begun to see a sweet spot for SSJR Black, Cell and Adult Gohan.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What characters have everyone tried to main so far? I've begun to see a sweet spot for SSJR Black, Cell and Adult Gohan.

I like using Cell because his moves feel solid. His #10 combo was a lot of fun to pull off. Plus I like his air ki blast because it hits the ground. Frieza has a cool ki blast too. I would like to learn more about Frieza and his mechanics. Hit is also fun. I haven't watched any Super, but his moveset feels powerful.

I have been mostly playing tutorial combos and story mode.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
How does it run on pc ? And what are the differences between PC vs console.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
How big is the PC install for this? Steam page doesn't say. (Or I'm blind, one or the other).

Saiyan-Rox

trying to play in ultrawide and cinematics aren't centred it's really weird but if i set the resolution to 1080 it fits the whole screen (but seems a bit stretched)

kunonabi

This combo system is super obtuse at times so I'd be really interested in an eventual breakdown. As of now Cell seems to be the powerhouse of my team as he seems to do lvl 7 Gohan damage with much less effort.

Codes 208

Had some pretty epic battles with friends last night. One of them mained a team of Androids 18, 21 and 16 (21 is a scary fighter to go against. Her recover between attacks is almost too fast, she can chain combos for daaays) and 16...well he loved hugs and it seems he had it out for my cell. (But there was nothing more satisfying than when his 16 leapt right into my Black's level three super)

Hit is another interesting contender. His ability to counter, his vanish attacks and his ranged attacks are surprising effective.

Meanwhile every kid buu ive fought against almost ALWAYS spams the medium combo.

NahaNago

I've mostly just done a little bit of the story mode and the game looks amazing and is also a bit of fun. I kinda feel like the fighting is very simplistic but at the same time, I probably need to practice a lot to make myself look good, even though the game makes me look amazing when I fight. I do find all of the loading a bit of a pain.

Never thought it would be possible that Tien of all people would be the most hype character for me in a db game...

NEO TRIBEAM!!!
vZ7l8Lb.gif

WaterAstro

Wow, watching people actually play this, I think Arc System Works will have hit mainstream with this. It's a great fighter by the looks of actual player gameplay.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Does Fighter-Z play similarly to other Arc System Works games like BlazBlue and Guilty Gear? My fighting game history has only been Street Fighter IV through to V; wondering if the game is as accessible to newcomers? Watching footage, especially online matches, it looks very fast paced and chaotic.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does Fighter-Z play similarly to other Arc System Works games like BlazBlue and Guilty Gear? My fighting game history has only been Street Fighter IV through to V; wondering if the game is as accessible to newcomers? Watching footage, especially online matches, it looks very fast paced and chaotic.

Fist of the North Star has an amazing combo system, but you'll see a lot of people say it's broken. Infinite loop combos, but it's fun to watch and play. Basara X Cross is the same way. It's a lot of fun to string together combos. This is a lot faster and there's larger projectiles, hit boxes are easier to hit, there's faster characters, and of course 3v3. I'd say it's something new for them, but the button movements and hit box feels like their type of game.

I'd say it's new, but you can tell they made it.

Last edited:
It's most similar to marvel 3, but heavily simplified.

So 3 v 3 (6 people each controlling a character) is fun as fuck. Really hectic trying to coordinate tag in supers with your team mates.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I ordered the FighterZ edition digitally from Amazon and I just received my preorder bonus today for SSB Goku and Vegeta and the avatars. So if you did the same then I'd check your mail. They apologized for the delay.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me how to chat in the game and what the different lobbies mean like arena match and ring match. I been out of gaming for a few years. I can’t seem to figure it the simple stuff. My apologies

They were working on PS4 for me on Saturday.

Yep, online only I think? anything less than 3 bars for anyone was unplayable.

Thanks.

One other question: how do you talk in the lobby? Can you only use those preset messages? Can you not voice chat? I was a huge gamer up until my new position at work and The switch was the first time I played games again in 2 years and after April I stopped. Once I found out this game was dropping i knew I’d have to dust off my PS4. But I’m so out of the loop that I’m probably asking the most simplistic of questions. Hell I didn’t even realize I had to pay to play online and I’m still on the 2 day free trial

Npi

Neo Member
This is the first FG for me since the first SC on Dreamcast. Dragon Ball was my favourite tv show from my early years and being able to play doing what I saw when I was a child jumping on my living room's couch because Frieza was beating up Son Goku it's, honestly, a dream come true. Thank you Arc System Works and Bandai Namco for recalling my best childhood memories.

BANGS

Banned
This is the first FG for me since the first SC on Dreamcast. Dragon Ball was my favourite tv show from my early years and being able to play doing what I saw when I was a child jumping on my living room's couch because Frieza was beating up Son Goku it's, honestly, a dream come true. Thank you Arc System Works and Bandai Namco for recalling my best childhood memories.
You should try DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 for PS2. It's a far more genuine experience and you really feel like you are part of the battle. The fighting system is simple but works incredibly well, and controls are extremely tight. It's still the best DBZ game IMO...

glasiche

Neo Member
^Part of the allure of this game is the sensory explosion of how good it looks and the turbo speed of the fights. Having played most of the past DBZ games including GT: Final Bout and the Japanese 3 v 3s that came out on PSX - Not only is the game worth every penny, but it’s up there as both a DBZ game and serious fighter when played skillfully

Top Bottom