• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Running in a Hacked $10 Calculator

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Answering the age-old question of how much performance can we get out of a hacked $10 calculator.

-The stuttering that I found in NES (and a few other places) was caused by some Wi-Fi errors. I disabled Wi-Fi and the emulation is smooth af now.
-For people that are wondering, I've only ever seen this for sale in China and I have no idea how you can buy one outside of China. Prices went up after a lot of people started buying this for the memes. The person I bought this from sells this for $10-$20.

SCB3

So a couple of things:

1. There is no way this is only $10
  2. Why does a Calculator need a OS at all?
  3. And why does it need a Touchscreen?

calistan

For $10 this seriously makes technology look like magic.
How can you even make something like that for practically nothing?
It's not really a calculator, it's a repurposed ultra low end Android tablet. And $10 in no way reflects the cost of the components - somebody just bought a load of these unsellable old tablet boards with screens attached and turned them into something with slightly more value.

Cool, because you generally associate this sort of crap with mountains of e-waste. Bad, because Chinese factories are constantly churning out junk like this, and most of it never gets a second life.

But you can buy a way more powerful, more modern version of the exact same thing, still in tablet form, from Ali Express for around $30, that would be a lot more useful if for some bizarre reason you wanted to turn it into a weak emulation device. Also, it's not "running" Doom Eternal, it's streaming it from Steam like anything with a screen can do.

Top Bottom