• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

Nymphae

Banned
The soundtrack is growing on me.

Did Mick like, invent a new sub-genre of music?

I still can't remember any standout tracks, but it was solid throughout.

In 2016 there was really punchy music at the end of every level, and when the tallies would count up for challenges and so forth, but here everything seems a lot more muted for some reason.

I was kind of bummed that they included BFG Division again but only in the Ripitorium.

Lanrutcon

I still can't remember any standout tracks, but it was solid throughout.

In 2016 there was really punchy music at the end of every level, and when the tallies would count up for challenges and so forth, but here everything seems a lot more muted for some reason.

I was kind of bummed that they included BFG Division again but only in the Ripitorium.

BFG Division is insane, and really hard to beat. Eternal tracks I dig: Super Gore Nest, The Only Thing They Fear Is You, BFG 10,000 and Creatures of Nekravol.

Also.

MiguelItUp

PC or PS4?
I've had the problem for 4 days now.

I'm only 4 hours in. Maybe my opinion will change if it gets more interesting later. But I don't play any of the arena shooters, CoDs or Destiny and the like. I'm more into original Doom.
Whaaat? Really? PC here. Sorry to hear that! Hopefully that changes!

Yeah, hopefully it will!

Naw, that's djent metal, and it's been around since the mid-90's.
Yup! There are a ton of bands you can check out that share a lot of similar tones and styles. After hearing 2016's sound for a few minutes I immediately though of Meshuggah, haha.

I'm sure there are even better comparisons out there, but I couldn't really provide them as I'm not really into DJent at all. Meshuggah was one of the only few that I got into over the years. I guess Animals As Leaders as well.

I'll admit Mick's OST has made me bob and bang my head to DJent more than I thought I ever would, lmao.

Last edited:

odd_hatch

Whaaat? Really? PC here. Sorry to hear that! Hopefully that changes!
Well... if you have the PC version and don't have any connection problems then it's gotta be me and not Bethesda servers.

I mean, I already turned off the firewall entirely and it still doesn't work. But I heard other people having the same issue so I don't understand... I wonder if I have to reinstall but, it's 2020... shouldn't we be over this kind of stuff?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Well... if you have the PC version and don't have any connection problems then it's gotta be me and not Bethesda servers.

I mean, I already turned off the firewall entirely and it still doesn't work. But I heard other people having the same issue so I don't understand... I wonder if I have to reinstall but, it's 2020... shouldn't we be over this kind of stuff?
Yeah, I've had zero problems whatsoever. Even when I VPN'd to play early the day before release, lmao. I have see other people having issues, but I think they were resolved, not entirely sure. I wish I had some better input. :(

I'd check out the official Bethesda / DOOM Eternal forums if you haven't yet.

Yeah, but the login is for Slayer's Club stuff, which is really cool. I also think it's to allow "crossplay" between Steam and the Bethesda launcher.

HotPocket69

Banned
So I’ve been playing RAGE2 since I still got a hankering for some great id gunplay and man, the amount of similarities between this and Eternal:

- double dash
- double jump
- in air slo mo aiming
- mods on top of mods on top of mods
- a hell of an awesome shotgun

P good game for quarantining so far and totally scratches an itch.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
So I’ve been playing RAGE2 since I still got a hankering for some great id gunplay and man, the amount of similarities between this and Eternal:

- double dash
- double jump
- in air slo mo aiming
- mods on top of mods on top of mods
- a hell of an awesome shotgun

P good game for quarantining so far and totally scratches an itch.

Really been thinking about grabbing this because it's been on sale, kept hearing mixed impressions but it sounds appealing to me.

SweetShark

Can we please talk about

The Maykrs being very similar to the alien race "Freds" from the DOOM book novels...but in reverse?
- Maykrs present themselves as angels to bring hope and prosperity.
- Freds present genetically modified creatures as demons to create terror and death.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Yeah, I've had zero problems whatsoever. Even when I VPN'd to play early the day before release, lmao. I have see other people having issues, but I think they were resolved, not entirely sure. I wish I had some better input. :(

I'd check out the official Bethesda / DOOM Eternal forums if you haven't yet.

Yeah, but the login is for Slayer's Club stuff, which is really cool. I also think it's to allow "crossplay" between Steam and the Bethesda launcher.
I play on PS4 and was able to play 7 matches online since release. :messenger_anguished:

The campaign suffers also since its trying to connect all the time wich takes way longer than the actuel loading of the level.

HotPocket69

Banned
Really been thinking about grabbing this because it's been on sale, kept hearing mixed impressions but it sounds appealing to me.

The deluxe edition is on sale on PSN for $26 and it comes with the DLC expansion. Not bad 🤓

Edit: It also comes with a BFG 9000 😏

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I play on PS4 and was able to play 7 matches online since release. :messenger_anguished:

The campaign suffers also since its trying to connect all the time wich takes way longer than the actuel loading of the level.
I actually wasn't able to play BattleMode at all until last week's patch. Kept getting this "no matches available" prompt.

Really? Weird. I remember people saying it tried in the beginning and that was it. I'd hop on them forums though, and see if they say anything there.

Con-Z-epT

The gameplay is really solid!

It's just not as polished as doom. The rest of the game feels lifeless to me. Aspecialy compared to the original Rage.

Con-Z-epT

I actually wasn't able to play BattleMode at all until last week's patch. Kept getting this "no matches available" prompt.

Really? Weird. I remember people saying it tried in the beginning and that was it. I'd hop on them forums though, and see if they say anything there.
Just weird since alot of people don't have any problems whatsoever.

MiguelItUp

Just weird since alot of people don't have any problems whatsoever.
Yeah, I agree. I wish I could provide some details, but for me it was all pretty straight forward. 🤷‍♂️

I noticed in BattleMode either my mic isn't picking up or I'm pressing the wrong button, but that's about it, lmao.

Con-Z-epT

Yeah, I agree. I wish I could provide some details, but for me it was all pretty straight forward. 🤷‍♂️

I noticed in BattleMode either my mic isn't picking up or I'm pressing the wrong button, but that's about it, lmao.
The Steam forum is full of people from germany with the same problems. I guess its just us germans.

Hostile_18

Banned
One thing I like about both Doom games is the 5.1 sound effects. Hearing pipes burst behind you or rockets missing and firing down the side of your walls. The machine gun giving your subwoofer a pounding (😂).

Games like these are really worth investing in good sound if you have the budget.

Nymphae

Banned
I am getting wrecked by the double Doom Hunter fight on Nightmare. The arena is too small for fighting two of them plus the mobs at once, they seem to have extended "boss" like health bars, and they are aggressive as fuck at long or close range with insanely damaging attacks. When you kill one, the mob spawns harder enemies, so I've been trying to take them down equally, but yeah, getting wrecked. Still hammering X to get right back in the action though, not even mad lol.

RealGassy

Banned
Just finished Nightmare run, no BFG and no Sword usage (except for the last boss), otherwise the game is too easy if you follow the "forced gameplay loop".

Using BFG feels like cheating, there are a few tricky areas where it's a bit tough without BFG (area right before the final boss)

I had way more fun on Nightmare than on the first Ultra Violence run, because second time through I knew exactly what the game wants me - forces me to - do. First half of the game is also significantly harder than the last.

Using the time-slowdown perks (mid-air slow), weapon wheel slow, death time slow also feels like cheating and makes the game too easy IMO.

I still think that some of the enemies are too tanky, and the player has too little ammo, and I still prefer Doom 2016, but alas. The game has been completed.

Looking forward to see what the speedrunners will do with this game.

Last edited:
Finished this couple of days ago and I gotta say: THIS FUCKING GAMES IS AWESOME!!!
It's easily the best FPS and probably the greatest game I've played in a long time.

Played it on PS4 Pro and with Back Button Attachment. Ultra-Violence was just perfect way to play it! I had to change it to Hurt Me Plenty during the final boss though.

I can't believe how good the frame rate, animations, graphics, sounds and enemy variety are. I just such a blast to play and a huge adrenaline rush.

I finished the single player 100% (secrets etc.) and I'm on my way to platinum the game, but I still haven't touched the multiplayer.

I love you iD and I can't wait for some single player dlc!!

Do you think that the next gen systems will get an updated Doom Eternal with 120 fps? 😮
That alone would make me wanna buy a new OLED-tv with HDMI 2.1.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Beat it again today on Ultra Violence. Gonna go back through to get more unlocks. :messenger_sunglasses:
Some of those encounters on Urdak and Final Sin gave me some headaches on Ultra Violence. Those fucking cyber-mancubus with the poison sludge they spew become some of the most dangerous enemies in the entire game on higher difficulties. Their ability to damage you while you're handling a bunch of other demons is unreal. Also, those Makyr drones are a pain in the ass as well. Great if you can headshot them for the resources, but in the heat of battle, that shit is hard.

Golgo 13

Finished this couple of days ago and I gotta say: THIS FUCKING GAMES IS AWESOME!!!
It's easily the best FPS and probably the greatest game I've played in a long time.

Played it on PS4 Pro and with Back Button Attachment. Ultra-Violence was just perfect way to play it! I had to change it to Hurt Me Plenty during the final boss though.

I can't believe how good the frame rate, animations, graphics, sounds and enemy variety are. I just such a blast to play and a huge adrenaline rush.

I finished the single player 100% (secrets etc.) and I'm on my way to platinum the game, but I still haven't touched the multiplayer.

I love you iD and I can't wait for some single player dlc!!
That back button attachment must've come in really handy on your PS4 playthrough. The game by definition, plays better with more buttons available (I'm certain KB/M is still the ideal way to play the game as witnessed by high-level play online).

Nymphae

Banned
Great if you can headshot them for the resources, but in the heat of battle, that shit is hard.

In that boss fight near the end against the flying thing (I forget names because who really cares), I thought it was pretty cheap of them to only have Makyr Drones for fodder demons, it's the only fight in the entire game where you are straight up required to make on the fly headshots for your basic resources. They should have added a couple of normal fodder demons on the normal difficulty level.

That back button attachment must've come in really handy on your PS4 playthrough. The game by definition, plays better with more buttons available (I'm certain KB/M is still the ideal way to play the game as witnessed by high-level play online).
Yeah FPS-games in general play better with KB/M and I've been thinking about getting back in to the world of gaming pc's.

The back button attachment really helps with the movement and aiming. There's no time to move thumb from the aiming stick to jump, without dying :D
Had to play Doom 2016 with the attachment before Eternal, so that the use of it would come naturally. Now I can't play without it!

Golgo 13

In that boss fight near the end against the flying thing (I forget names because who really cares), I thought it was pretty cheap of them to only have Makyr Drones for fodder demons, it's the only fight in the entire game where you are straight up required to make on the fly headshots for your basic resources. They should have added a couple of normal fodder demons on the normal difficulty level.
Agreed on all counts. That boss fight is the lowpoint of the game for me. Didn't care much for the final boss either TBH but the flying thing was atrocious on all counts. Not fun at all.

Nymphae

Banned
Agreed on all counts. That boss fight is the lowpoint of the game for me. Didn't care much for the final boss either TBH but the flying thing was atrocious on all counts. Not fun at all.

I had a bit more fun with the Icon of Sin fights because I enjoy the basic arena combat and they let you go nuts with the Blood Punches and Crucible on those ones, but I didn't like the Flying thing fight at all.

Last edited:

Ixion

My only annoyance is the super shotgun sounds far better in Doom 2016.

I disagree on that. The original Super Shotgun in Doom 2 had a very low-end focused sound. In Doom 2016 the Super Shotgun had more of a high-pitched sound. In Doom Eternal it seems they tried to go back to that more low-end type sound from the original Doom 2, and I think it makes the weapon sound more badass and meaty (even though Doom 2016's sound is more realistic).

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I disagree on that. The original Super Shotgun in Doom 2 had a very low-end focused sound. In Doom 2016 the Super Shotgun had more of a high-pitched sound. In Doom Eternal it seems they tried to go back to that more low-end type sound from the original Doom 2, and I think it makes the weapon sound more badass and meaty (even though Doom 2016's sound is more realistic).
I disagree. I also have a very good and expensive headphone.
Doom:E super shotgun literally sounds like a mortar with that thooomp sound where Doom 2016 sounds like a cannon.

decisions

As a huge metalhead, I have to say the soundtrack in this game is pretty shit and super overrated.

Most of it is this really soulless dubstep-like electronic music that I find to be super repetitive and melodically bankrupt. The "metal" parts, when they do come in, have some good riffs here and there but are not really memorable and again lack any cool melodic parts. Not sure I will remember a single track off this game and definitely enjoyed listening to the classic game music In the hub base more than any of the new stuff.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
As a huge metalhead, I have to say the soundtrack in this game is pretty shit and super overrated.

Most of it is this really soulless dubstep-like electronic music that I find to be super repetitive and melodically bankrupt. The "metal" parts, when they do come in, have some good riffs here and there but are not really memorable and again lack any cool melodic parts. Not sure I will remember a single track off this game and definitely enjoyed listening to the classic game music In the hub base more than any of the new stuff.
agree. it works as background music but you cannot top the original DOOM tracks, many of which are 1:1 metal songs.

Top Bottom