• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think you could have beaten Elon Musk in Quake?

LordOfChaos

Not a chance

He's pretty legit at Diablo 4 even as an older guy than when he's talking about, wouldn't doubt that nerd is better at video games than me

Last edited:
steve buscemi youth GIF
Hate to break it to you but the kids aren’t playing quake 🥸

Thresh said he played on the same server as musk and said he was good. If you know who Thresh is, you know he aint shitting around. For a long time THE best Quake player on the planet. Invented the WASD.
So , nah i dont think i wouldve stood a chance.

November 1999, he says he plays alot with the CEO of Zip2, thats Elon Musk. If Musk would suck he would not play alot with him. Hes the single best player at that time.
Quake is played at a dramatically different level compared to what it was back in Thresh's days.
A has-been from 1997 wouldn't hold a candle not just to current pros, but just high MMR pub players.
You watch Fatality stream, who's been the poster boy of Q3, and he struggles against the kids, whatever game it is he's playing.
So even taking Elon's claims at face value, I'm pretty confident I'd beat him in either Q3, QL or QC.

Akuji

Quake is played at a dramatically different level compared to what it was back in Thresh's days.
A has-been from 1997 wouldn't hold a candle not just to current pros, but just high MMR pub players.
You watch Fatality stream, who's been the poster boy of Q3, and he struggles against the kids, whatever game it is he's playing.
So even taking Elon's claims at face value, I'm pretty confident I'd beat him in either Q3, QL or QC.
But that wasnt the question or what anyone said?
Slayers boxer was the best Player in sc bw for a while. And is a legend in esports. To say he aint anything special because 20 years later there are alot of people that could beat him is just stupid.

lmaooooo. Yeah, it makes total sense to compare young players to 50 year old men with lower reflexes due to age! Or to compare the shitty gaming equipment 30 years ago to the mice and keyboards we have these days!

But that wasnt the question or what anyone said?
Literally answering the OP's question in the last paragraph. Why so defensive?
To say he aint anything special because 20 years later there are alot of people that could beat him is just stupid.
Don't put words in my mouth now.
Yeah, it makes total sense to compare young players to 50 year old men with lower reflexes due to age! Or to compare the shitty gaming equipment 30 years ago to the mice and keyboards we have these days!
I'm not a young player either. And age difference between me and Elon wouldn't change if we somehow went back in time.
As far as equipment goes, everyone was on a level playing field back then, and is on a level playing field right now. Don't know what it has to do with anything.
Or maybe you think Fatality is getting smacked around online because he's still playing on a ball mouse?

Let's see. Elon Musk is a driven obsessive workaholic. I would imagine him putting time into any obsession would be similar. I play games for fun, and even when I was gaming many hours never became one of the best in the world in any multiplayer game. Yeah, he would've beat me.

Akuji

the title is not would u beat elon musk how he was back then.

its would your 1998/1999 persona beaten elon musk 1998/1999.

atleast thats what iam getting from it. but iam not a native english speaking person.

Anyone think they could take him as an elden ring invader?

Extra points: What loadouts would you use, what loadouts would he use?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Billionaire and omnipresent main character Elon Musk has declared he was once one of the best Quake players in the world, to the tune of winning money for his skills. This obviously sounds like the kind of thing your mate would say after their third pint, but the revelation came during an interview with podcaster Lex Fridman during which Musk was expansive on his wider gaming habits, and particularly his Diablo 4 druid's inability to beat Lilith.

Wasn't expecting to see a full fledged OP paragraph from you bro (even though it's just two sentences). Holy shit color me shocked :messenger_open_mouth:

Don't put words in my mouth now.

I'm not a young player either. And age difference between me and Elon wouldn't change if we somehow went back in time.
As far as equipment goes, everyone was on a level playing field back then, and is on a level playing field right now. Don't know what it has to do with anything.
Or maybe you think Fatality is getting smacked around online because he's still playing on a ball mouse?
Fatality was a phenomenal pro player back then, and he had the reflexes of a 20-year-old guy. He played on a ball mouse vs. ball mouse players, and that's why their highlights might be different from the highlights of today's pros.

These days, he has way worse reflexes because he is a lot older, and if you disagree with that, you disagree with basic biology, and I cannot do anything about it.

Last edited:

Ikutachi

Fatality was a phenomenal pro player back then, and he had the reflexes of a 20-year-old guy. He played on a ball mouse vs. ball mouse players, and that's why their highlights might be different from the highlights of today's pros.

These days, he has way worse reflexes because he is a lot older, and if you disagree with that, you disagree with basic biology, and I cannot do anything about it.
Hi Fatality.

Boss Man

I saw on TV that government experts have confirmed that Elon Musk is a bad man whose criticisms of the government should be ignored. While his criticism of the ruling party may have influenced many people in the past, these days it is apparent from the headlines that he is actually a bad bad racist man.

Last edited:
He played on a ball mouse vs. ball mouse players, and that's why their highlights might be different from the highlights of today's pros.

There's quite a few of Quake pros from his era that are still active.
Tox, who basically single-handedly pushed Fatality out of Q4 pro scene, is still one of the most mechanically-skilled players in the game.

He kept up with the raising standards and Fatality didn't. There's a whole separate topic about how Fatality was only interested in games he could dominate in to build his brand. Remember, he left Quake for Painkiller when he was still an active pro. Arguably, because Quake had too much talent to contend with and Painkiller had... Voo? Funnily enough, Voo also resurfaced in Quake after many years and finished 2nd in QC World Championships in 2017.
Point being:
  1. Age is not that much of a factor when it comes to Quake.
  2. Thresh and Fatality specifically fell off WAY before age started becoming a factor for them.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Why would he lie of all things about playing quake back in the day, sure it was a great game and a good time, but why make that up?
Because he is a habitual lier and generally full of shit? And to be fair, not sure one way or the other on this topic, but in general trusting anything Musk says is just dumb.

Last edited:

Doom_master1122

Neo Member
Absolutely. At a convention in my city I beat a handful of 10 year olds at Quake 1 on an old Mac. I think I have the skills needed. :messenger_sunglasses:

(In all seriousness though, possibly. I do love me some arena shooters. Played Quake Multiplayer a ton. )

There's quite a few of Quake pros from his era that are still active.
Tox, who basically single-handedly pushed Fatality out of Q4 pro scene, is still one of the most mechanically-skilled players in the game.
He kept up with the raising standards and Fatality didn't. There's a whole separate topic about how Fatality was only interested in games he could dominate in to build his brand. Remember, he left Quake for Painkiller when he was still an active pro. Arguably, because Quake had too much talent to contend with and Painkiller had... Voo? Funnily enough, Voo also resurfaced in Quake after many years and finished 2nd in QC World Championships in 2017.
Point being:
  1. Age is not that much of a factor when it comes to Quake.
  2. Thresh and Fatality specifically fell off WAY before age started becoming a factor for them.
Why do you insist in something you have no idea about, while denying the reality which is explained by basic biology? Everyone is different, everyone ages different, everyone has different characteristics. That's how it works. Pro players in sports like football retire in different ages. Other pros still play till their 40s, and other are retired before they are 30 years old. Why do you deny what happens in the real world? It's really funny to say "hey, I am better than Larry Bird in basket, I would smoke him if we played today". Man, relax, learn to compare apples with apples.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

I was a fairly decent Quake 3 Arena player back in the day, placed 6th in the BYOC 2v2 ctf open at 2002 Quakecon in Mesquite, TX which wasn't a main event but was one of many smaller competitions which consisted of many of the players of the main event tourney. We were knocked out by a cha0ticz and Seraph and they were knocked out by Sector and fatal1ty. 3 of those cats were in the top 5 of the main event that year, fatal1ty was 2nd or so if i recall. I played for 2 years regularly in the "rollthatbeanfootage" server which was frequented by a lot of the pros at the time, i was cannon fodder mostly and at best a good warm up but i can guage where the skill ceiling was during that era. I can say with a fair amount of certaintly that any current modern Quake Live player within the top 1000 would SMASH any pro from that time, Elon included, without the slightest bit of resistance. We would get brushed off the plate like old brocolli. These youngins are playing a diffent game, some maps may be the same, weapon and armor placement may be the same but the shit they are doing is not the shit we were doing. A decent Forntnite player would wreck any old world quake pro if you gave them a week with quake.

Why do you insist in something you have no idea about, while denying the reality which is explained by basic biology?
What the fuck are even you replying to, because your arrogant blurb sure as shit is not related to what I said in the post prior.
Yeah, pros age. Yeah, it affects their performance to different degrees.
However Thresh and Fatality were washed up before they hit retirement age, so I don't hold them in very high regard.
Do you get it now, or should I draw a picture for you?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I can believe him.
Thunderfoot just put another couple videos out on him. He watched one of his old presentations and hit a buzzer for each lie, and it's a lot of buzzing! Those 4 words I quoted should never be heard in a single Elon related topic. It's actually kind of difficult to fully comprehend the degree that he has lied about things. It's so much further than you would have expected that it takes effort and research to actually grasp how extensive and how brazen the lies have been, because it's truly difficult to believe anyone would do that, and yet he has over and over. He's literally one of the most prolific liars of all time.

Last edited:
What the fuck are even you replying to, because your arrogant blurb sure as shit is not related to what I said in the post prior.
Yeah, pros age. Yeah, it affects their performance to different degrees.
However Thresh and Fatality were washed up before they hit retirement age, so I don't hold them in very high regard.
Do you get it now, or should I draw a picture for you?

keep humiliating yourself with nonsense. First time I hear that pros arent pros if they dont meet your retirement expectations. Lmao, Ronaldinho retired early, that means he was not good and young kids would smoke him easily then. Please believe me!

Last edited:

twilo99

Dunno about any of that but I honestly think that being an engineer at one of his companies must quite rewarding..

Thresh said he played on the same server as musk and said he was good. If you know who Thresh is, you know he aint shitting around. For a long time THE best Quake player on the planet. Invented the WASD.
So , nah i dont think i wouldve stood a chance.

November 1999, he says he plays alot with the CEO of Zip2, thats Elon Musk. If Musk would suck he would not play alot with him. Hes the single best player at that time.
He didnt invent jack shit. WASD was here WAY before Quake.

I believe him being a good player more readily than believing that he invented anything of value in any company yet, as the second coming tech jesus he is celebrated.
He is probably one of those self made whatevernaires that actually believe they did it themselves and not on the shoulders of tons of other people that actually did the work. Similar as with Steve Jobs and Wozniak. One had the brain for marketing and market needs and companies and society glorify those more than the actual worker bees. If you are against unionizing you tell that you want to reap the benefits of work but not share the profits fairly.

Dude wouldn't stand a chance if we were both in our prime, my LAN days were no joke for the hours we put into games like Quake.

First time I hear that pros arent pros if they dont meet your retirement expectations. Lmao, Ronaldinho retired early, that means he was not good and young kids would smoke him easily then. Please believe me!
Thresh and Fatality didn't just retire. They switched disciplines, got their asses kicked, and then retired.
If Ronaldinho would switch to futsal, got humiliated there for a couple of years, and then retired, yeah, I'd lose a lot of respect towards him. Was it Ronaldo, Pele or Maradonna that broke the world goal record in futsal after playing it a for a bit? That's what the GOAT is.
But comparing football to esports is disingenuous and you know it. Football was a well-established sport when Ronaldinho came around.
Quake wasn't well-established when Thresh won his Ferrari. People didn't even know how to fucking move back then.
And when people figured Quake out, Thresh was no more.
Similar situation with Fatality. He thrived when the pro scene was still young and US-centered. When a bunch of cracked Finns, Swedes and Russians came in, Fatality couldn't keep up and fled to another game.
To this day, a bunch of old fart Quake pros will run QL tourneys for funsies, but Fatality will never be there.
He'll play QL on a side, against some nobody, on maps that are not in tournament pools, and pretend he's still got it.

Embarassing.

Thresh and Fatality didn't just retire. They switched disciplines, got their asses kicked, and then retired.
If Ronaldinho would switch to futsal, got humiliated there for a couple of years, and then retired, yeah, I'd lose a lot of respect towards him. Was it Ronaldo, Pele or Maradonna that broke the world goal record in futsal after playing it a for a bit? That's what the GOAT is.
Ok, now you shitted on Ronaldinho's talent as well; I can't deal with such "arguments."

But comparing football to esports is disingenuous and you know it. Football was a well-established sport when Ronaldinho came around.
Quake wasn't well-established when Thresh won his Ferrari. People didn't even know how to fucking move back then.
They still don't know now. Hey, look around, there are 8 billions in Earth and 630 of them are playing rn (even less if you don't count the afkers on menus). It's a niche game and it was niche back then too.

Similar situation with Fatality. He thrived when the pro scene was still young and US-centered. When a bunch of cracked Finns, Swedes and Russians came in, Fatality couldn't keep up and fled to another game.
To this day, a bunch of old fart Quake pros will run QL tourneys for funsies, but Fatality will never be there.
He'll play QL on a side, against some nobody, on maps that are not in tournament pools, and pretend he's still got it.

Imagine playing a dead game today, winning as an old fart a tournament against other old farts, and thinking that this is special. Relax, my dude. Fatal1ty stopped playing almost two decades ago. Nobody cares if he is still playing today or if he is able to walk without a mangrove. Back then, he was winning tournaments in different games at the same period. But you already shitted on Ronaldinho before, so there is no point in trying to convince you that you are wrong.

Embarassing.
I really don't know why you are so salty with Fatal1ty. Did he beat you in a game where you had delusions about the result?

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if he got a positive kill count even.
I've played some of the actual best quake players in the world though, not this clown. (and I've beaten Romero easily :p)

Last edited:
Didn’t he bail on an mma fight with Zuckerberg after calling him out and saying he’d win. He tells some tall stories that’s for sure!

Akuji

Embarassing.

alot of excuses.

Now were talking Jordan isnt great anymore because he wasnt the best at golf?

Ok, now you shitted on Ronaldinho's talent as well
Learn to fucking read.
They still don't know now
I get it, you're in full Joe Rogan mode, sucking off Quake 1 and Thresh while knowing literally fuck-all about it. Do you know what overbounce is? How it was found? How it is replicated? There's not a single thing about movement in Quake that was not discovered. Because people don't just discover it through playing, but by going through the code.
Imagine playing a dead game today, winning as an old fart a tournament against other old farts, and thinking that this is special.
Which part of "FOR FUNSIES" do you struggle to understand, numbskull?

alot of excuses.

Now were talking Jordan isnt great anymore because he wasnt the best at golf?
Do you make any sense? I don't, because I only hear a lot of chatter from him about how useless a champion is if he gets middle-aged and can't play other games.

Learn to fucking read.

I get it, you're in full Joe Rogan mode, sucking off Quake 1 and Thresh while knowing literally fuck-all about it. Do you know what overbounce is? How it was found? How it is replicated? There's not a single thing about movement in Quake that was not discovered. Because people don't just discover it through playing, but by going through the code.

Which part of "FOR FUNSIES" do you struggle to understand, numbskull?
Nobody here can keep up with your invalid theories that lack coherence and logic. Sorry, mate, but as you can see, other forum members don't understand what you are saying either. You probably don't even understand yourself.

I don't, because I only hear a lot of chatter from him about how useless a champion is if he gets middle-aged and can't play other games.
How adorable of you to seek reassurance from another doofus, who owned up to not being proficient at english a few posts earlier.
Sorry, mate, but as you can see, other forum members don't understand what you are saying either.
"Other forum members", lmao. There's 2 of you over here, who know nothing about Quake, its pro scene, and its history, and can't comprehend written text.
Don't pretend there's a legion of you, moron.
Javier Bardem Lol GIF by James Bond 007

Next time you wanna challenge someone who's been part of the Quake community for over 20 years, on their opinions on pro players, some of whom he knows personally, bring something else other than "HURR DURR YUO DON NO WAT YOU TALKIN BOUT" and "MUH RONALDINHO".
Take a step back and re-evaluate what you're actually trying to prove here.

Top Bottom