• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think we will ever see a truly exciting new console release again?

pramod

Banned
I'm talking about a console that launches with at least a couple of AAA+ games, or at least games that truly demonstrated a huge leap in technology?

I mean something like the Dreamcast, PS2, or SNES launch. Buying the console and at least 3-4 launch games and then getting your mind blown as you play them.
Even the 360 launch was pretty bad-ass, I remember spending weeks playing all the great launch games like Dead Rising, etc.

I guess Nintendo tends to launch a new console with at least one AAA title, but usually only just one these days. For example the Switch launch library was nothing compared to what the Gamecube launched with.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I doubt it, consoles are just custom PC's at this stage so by the time a new one arrives a state of the art PC is already at that level or beyond.

pointing-that-is-correct.gif

Kagey K

Banned
I'm talking about a console that launches with at least a couple of AAA+ games, or at least games that truly demonstrated a huge leap in technology?

I mean something like the Dreamcast, PS2, or SNES launch. Buying the console and at least 3-4 launch games and then getting your mind blown as you play them.
Even the 360 launch was pretty bad-ass, I remember spending weeks playing all the great launch games like Dead Rising, etc.

I guess Nintendo tends to launch a new console with at least one AAA title, but usually only just one these days. For example the Switch launch library was nothing compared to what the Gamecube launched with.
Dead rising wasn't a launch title. Only reason I remember that is because I played the fuck out of the demo after it launched while waiting for it to release.

For me it took until Fight Night release in March 2006 to really see how good the new gen was going to look. COD 2 and King Kong weren't that impressive to me.

Last edited:

Crayon

Sure, if someone wanted to save a major innovative game for the very small launch userbase. Looking at how the consoles now are essentially upgraded versions of the last ones, it's less likeley than ever. There's only a handful of games where the "system requirements" are ps5. Almost none on xbox. And people seem to like it. I don't hate it. I feel like its a good upgrade becasue many games have the "minimun spec" as a ps4, and the "reccomended spec" as a ps5. More like pc all the time.

cireza

It could happen but only not in the form of modern consoles, as they have 0 appeal nowadays since they are only boxes with a PC inside it.

If a company took the decision to release a weaker hardware dedicated to a specific market of enthusiasts, with an overall vision of the products and games, it could work. But it would have to be profitable with that niche audience.

Last edited:
If this isn't exciting then no, nothing will ever be exciting:

I can't even imagine how much time I saved playing Elden Ring... probably 5-10 hours over my playthrough.

edit: granted this is from a purely console perspective. Even on PC, when was the last big "wow" thing, Voodoo 1? Every card is just a bigger and better previous card.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

As a new Steam Deck owner it feels like version 1 of a new console. Older games on a portable are like new again. Emulation is *sick*. It's *so nice* not having to worry about backwards compatibility. Right now they're hard to get but as that changes people will start to view PC gaming differently. SD cards work perfectly and are cheap so the $400 model is not really a compromise and can be upgraded.

FDUxFeY.jpg

Last edited:
No and I actually hate the first 2ish years of a new console gen because people are constantly convincing themselves that video game visuals are on-par with modern CGI.

Gamers constantly fall for bull shots and claim pre-rendered footage is in-game and not full of smoke and mirrors.

I’ve seen people claim that the CG footage in the VII Rebirth trailer is in-game. Suddenly a switch to the PS5 means Square Enix is capable of surpassing the visual fidelity of their CG work from 2 years ago. Give me a break

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, PS5 and XSX were worthy of it but they're impossible to find. It's such a shame that the gaming community couldn't collectively have their minds blown in larger numbers, so many people missing out. It's hard to emphasize how obsolete the PS4 is. I never get rid of consoles but I have zero reason to keep the PS4 around. My wife uses it as a streaming box.

I'm sure those green rats feel the same about the XSX.

The current nex-gen consoles are truly luxury devices and should be celebrated by all.

Danknugz

probably not, correct me if wrong but i believe the last consoles that actually were ahead of PCs at time of launch were 360 and PS3 (if not by power then definitely by adoption and ease of use, GFWL was apparently a nightmare), but that's changed now with how much MS has adopted gaming and stopped treating it like an afterthought in their OS.

fart town usa

Gold Member
As a new Steam Deck owner it feels like version 1 of a new console. Older games on a portable are like new again. Emulation is *sick*. It's *so nice* not having to worry about backwards compatibility. Right now they're hard to get but as that changes people will start to view PC gaming differently.
My brother has one, I haven't actually seen it in use, just held it one time when checking on his cat. It's so damn nice though, he absolutely loves it. I might get one too at some point, it's a god-tier device for sure.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I doubt it, consoles are just custom PC's at this stage so by the time a new one arrives a state of the art PC is already at that level or beyond.
PC gaming basically spoiled 8th gen graphic jump for me... 1080p? PBR? AO? SSR? All that shit was already the norm (well, except PBR which was only on a couple games or so) for years... Then I saw some PS360 versions of games I played on PC and was like "Oh damn, those look awful, certainly those people can see a pretty big jump" LMAO.

Nintendo is always a big jump for me because they tend to make the most out of their hardware, so I expect their games to always impress me. Even Metroid Dread that looked awful on first trailer managed to show great graphics in the end for the Switch, so keeping expectations on check I think we can all enjoy console launches. Heck, some people think DeS Remake is a big jump already even tho it's just a Higher res PS3 game with good PS4 graphics (nothing to do with Matrix demo or even R&C)

Elitro

Eventually yes.

Honestly the Apple VR headset could be that new console. They have a great custom chip (M series), the only thing they don't have is someone in the company that cares about non mobile games.

Lady Jane

Banned
I'll get excited when the dudebro culture is back for Xbox. I want frat boys to be calling me names in lobbies and shouting matches in post-game. Those were the fun times. Xbox is beyond washed now. You only get that experience in Gary's Mod and games that are similar on Steam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom