• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the Activision buyout will go through?

Do you think Microsoft will successfully close the acquisition of Activision?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Infamy v1

What makes you think RE8 would be on GP Day 1 if not for that marketing contract? So much entitlement. There was no reason for Capcom to do that. It's not even on PS+.
What are you talking about? Who said day 1? Sony has it in the clause for it to not appear for a specific amount of time. It was likely to come without it in there, just like RE7 came to Game Pass. Sony want RE assosiated with their console. I love how you talk about entitlement (despite RE8 very likely coming to Game Pass without the clause) when you've been crying about being entitled to Bethesda and ABK games on your favorite piece of plastic like you're owed anything.

It's clear you don't have any emotions when big third-party games reach the Switch and not Xbox. You don't think Xbox gamers deserve to get these games? Even if they are on PC and ready to go?

Of course you don't because this is not about playing these games on Xbox. This is about Sony and Sony only.
Irrational double standard anytime they get a deal. Thanks for proving my point 😉
Again, you continue to make a fool out of yourself. What does third party games on Switch have to do with ABK, i.e. the OP? With Jim Ryan looking like a hypocrite when talking about exclusivity and harming their consumers, in regards to ABK? Sony are the only publisher to be against the deal, as confirmed by all the other big ones being okay with it, so yeah, it's about Sony. Why are you desperately and repeatedly trying to throw Nintendo into this? Must be hard times for you right now.
So now Sony spends tens of millions on exclusives AKA funds the game. I thought they just blocked.

1) Moneyhatting a game isn't funding the game, lmao. Yikes. Paying to keep a game off a rivals platform for a year or two isn't contributing to dev or publishment costs. Sony spent 10mil on RE7 timed exclusive DLC and RE7 PSVR exclusivity. You think that funded the game? 🤡

2) You thought Sony just "blocked?" What? Do you know what a moneyhat is? It's in the name, lmao. You've been using the terminology forever now and didn't realize "money" was involved? Or are you just stooping down to blatant trolling because your FUD keeps getting instantly dismantled? Hmm... 🤔

If you said yes, have you put any money on Activision? Currently trading at 78.51 below the 95 dollars/share buy-out price Microsoft has agreed to.

1000 dollars gains you 210 dollars less taxes and fees.

5000 dollars gains you 1050 dollars (again less taxes and fees).
Yes, yes.

The downside is something I sold to buy a lot of the stock went up about $30 per share a few days after I sold for a loss, as is tradition.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Again, you continue to make a fool out of yourself. What does third party games on Switch have to do with ABK, i.e. the OP? With Jim Ryan looking like a hypocrite when talking about exclusivity and harming their consumers, in regards to ABK? Sony are the only publisher to be against the deal, as confirmed by all the other big ones being okay with it, so yeah, it's about Sony. Why are you desperately and repeatedly trying to throw Nintendo into this? Must be hard times for you right now.
I'm done with you after this but you're the one that was "triggerred" by my reply on page 1 after someone else brought up Nintendo. It's like you didn't even follow the conversation and just replied to it.

The whole point of my post was that you guys have no issues accepting third-party exclusives as long as they are not on PS.

I can't even imagine the reaction from the green rats if Sony gets an exclusive Monster Hunter game. The sun would explode 😅
Xbox fans never mention games on Switch like Bayonetta and SMTV (Sega), Live a Live, Triangle Strategy, Harvestella (Square), Monster Hunter Rise or Monster Hunter Stories (Capcom).

All third-parties exclusive and no outrage, no controversy, no demands, nothing. It's only about Sony. If Sony gets something then all hell breaks loose and they are the devil.

I don't understand this double standard.
This was my reply to Doom85 Doom85 who brought up Nintendo first.

anthony2690

Gold Member
SE uses their own servers, it has nothing to do with PSN ^^ >>>> Final Fantasy XIV director says Microsoft is holding up MMO cross-play <<<< from 3 years ago if it makes u feel any better :p
But epic games use their own servers...
Lots of games with crossplay that let you create your accounts don't use Microsoft's servers.

https://screenrant.com/final-fantasy-14-xbox-version-still-coming/amp/ (from last year)

It can happen, it's just when SE can be bothered, plus for all we know Sony could've thrown money and said hey forget about Xbox :)

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Yes. And Xbox will make CoD exclusive (duh).

BUT - I am tired of seeing people talk about 3rd party times exclusives and full exclusives from Sony.

Many times Sony helps fund these games / studios, pays for the exclusivity, etc. people act like that NEVER happens going back across the other way, but I remember fully; Alan Wake, Orange Box, etc.

This is just copium for Xbox fans not wanting to admit that Xbox is pretty much ruining gaming as we know it.

But none the less, Xbox will still now have one of the strongest gaming powers in its grasp, and if I was a Xbox person - I’d be pretty pumped with it.

kikii

But epic games use their own servers...
Lots of games with crossplay that let you create your accounts don't use Microsoft's servers.

https://screenrant.com/final-fantasy-14-xbox-version-still-coming/amp/ (from last year)

It can happen, it's just when SE can be bothered, plus for all we know Sony could've thrown money and said hey forget about Xbox :)
throw monies :D SE uses also their own servers, it has nothing to do with PSN or so, u need to register SE account as u cant log in with ur PSN account and that SE account works both console and PC. and in teh end who would wana even play that on console ? :D

Three

FTC are already suing for a far smaller acquisition by Meta in the gaming space where the company holds a dominant niche position because it will impact competition

https://www.wsgr.com/en/insights/an...orms-inc-from-acquiring-a-vr-fitness-app.html

The Activision deal is far from a guarantee and the FTC have continued to signal they are going after big tech acquisitions.

That doesn't mean it won't happen, but the likelihood of this having to be taken to court and won by Microsoft for it to pass is looking increasingly probable
Holy shit for Supernatural? Is that game even that big?

SJRB

Gold Member
Of course it will.

Let's not pretend anyone here has any clue about all the things that come into play with a behemoth acquisition like this. I'm sure both parties did their due diligence.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Gold Member
throw monies :D SE uses also their own servers, it has nothing to do with PSN or so, u need to register SE account as u cant log in with ur PSN account and that SE account works both console and PC. and in teh end who would wana even play that on console ? :D
You've gone from saying it is Microsoft that won't allow it.

To rambling on about something else...

I was just pointing out your news links were outdated.

kikii

You've gone from saying it is Microsoft that won't allow it.

To rambling on about something else...

I was just pointing out your news links were outdated.
well thats how its been forever that they dun like it, u were talking that epic has own servers so does SE, i was just pointing out that :p

Sw0pDiller

It's going to come trough but with some restrictions that will slow the game pass dominance. Game pass is big but isn't ps+ bigger? In paying users I mean? Game pass is a no brainer for Xbox owners but that's just it. Xbox is not selling that good, ps and switch is still wrecking them sales.

Griffon

Sadly I don't think regulatory government agencies truly understand the implications that gamepass has on the rest of the industry.

Three

It's going to come trough but with some restrictions that will slow the game pass dominance. Game pass is big but isn't ps+ bigger? In paying users I mean? Game pass is a no brainer for Xbox owners but that's just it. Xbox is not selling that good, ps and switch is still wrecking them sales.
A lot of people don't realise but these companies are a little more cunning than that.

Regular PS+ isn't the same thing as GP but it's only bigger on console. You would need GP + Live although the separation with extra is murky. if gamespass didn't include PC and cloud (TVs/mobiles) then you could argue a point like this. They renamed Xbox Gamepass to Gamepass for PC recently and made the separation there too.

I wouldn't even be surprised if gamepass is having a crappy year in terms of funding third party releases and no date for a particular big delay because data would be more favourable for regulators until this thing goes through or fails.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Yes and i hope activision tanks MS hard, their only current good upcoming game looks like d4 from blizz, after that probably many years of shitfest, and lol @cod, its total junk nowadays , i only loved singleplayer campaign but now even this is bad, so fuck it, by the time MS got cod exclusivity it will be 2nd halo- glory of the past.

Three

If they actually stopped the deal from going through, they would need to explain themselves. I know Gamers have their own opinion as to why it shouldn't happen but in business, it just makes no sense to stop this deal.
The explanation of concerns is given in a summary already. Basically they can see that gaming is in a transitory phase where game sales are declining and subscriptions and cloud are slowly overtaking traditional consoles and game sales. They want proposals that the buy out would not be used to harm rivals or new entrants in this space. whether the deal goes through or not only depends on whether MS decides to pull out because it deems those concessions as not worth it anymore (I don't think they will but lets see). Only the stupidest of fanboys would see that as a bad thing though and call the regulators clowns.

Last edited:

skit_data

Yes, it will go through but I think it will take a bit longer than initially expected and there is a possibility MS will have to keep some game/games multiplat in order to make it go through easier.

Griffon

Last edited:

yazenov

Id imagine the deal going through but it will take longer than most people expected and MS will have to make some major compromises for it to get approved.

The more the delay and compromise MS makes, the more it benefits Sony.
By the time the deal passes the regulators, the PS5 dominance would already be set in stone and nothing will stop the train this generation as it will be in the middle of the generation and MS will be content to be in 3rd place (as usual). Next generation is where MS could change its fortunes and where the fruits of the acquisition gets to make a difference and by then, Sony would already have some counter measures in place for an exclusive Call of Duty.

But imagine if the deal fails to get approved. It will be a huge blow for MS and they will have nothing on the table for several years to come and Gamepass would significantly loose its appeal and value.

Last edited:

yazenov

Iirc the estimated time frame on MS official announcement was that the deal would close by June/July 2023. That’s still 9 months away, do you think it’ll take longer than that?

Do you have any official link for the estimated time frame? Because all we heard in the forums that this deal will get approved easily and its basically a done deal this year.

Robb

Gold Member
Do you have any official link for the estimated time frame? Because all we heard in the forums that this deal will get approved easily and its basically a done deal this year.
I think this is it;
Although I noticed now that this doesn’t specify when during FY2023 it’ll close, so it’s not necessarily by the end, even though it could be.

Basically just says ‘anywhere between July 2022 to June 2023’.

PaintTinJr

If it doesn’t, I can see Activision start winding themselves down by splitting up and selling bit by bit over a few years with Microsoft getting first refusal
No, I expect if the end game for Microsoft is just to kneecap PlayStation to protect Windows, then they might spinoff Xbox and sell it to Activision - effectively creating the same console exclusivity situation - with little to no impact on Windows or Gamepass and the same maximum damage to PlayStation.

Infamy v1

I'm done with you after this but you're the one that was "triggerred" by my reply on page 1 after someone else brought up Nintendo. It's like you didn't even follow the conversation and just replied to it.

This is irrelevant, as the person in question was already replied to and claimed Bayonetta 2/3 and SFV were the same thing when I proved, with quotes from the very top people involved with the IP, that it wasn't at all, along with the false equivalence that owning an IP and paying for temporary exclusivity are the same thing. It's no wonder like-minded folk agree with each other.

Also, you were the one who doubled down on how Nintendo is doing the same thing but whined that nobody is calling it out, to which it was proven to you that Nintendo doesn't have a vested interest in ABK/CoD as per what the OP is based on and Nintendo aren't the one being called out by everyone as hypocrites here. Why are you crying about Nintendo, exactly? This NintendoToo is a pathetic attempt at deflection for no literal reason other then you being irate that Sony has been being called out recently. You're mad receipts were brought to your post?

The whole point of my post was that you guys have no issues accepting third-party exclusives as long as they are not on PS.

I can't even imagine the reaction from the green rats if Sony gets an exclusive Monster Hunter game. The sun would explode 😅

But using whataboutism regarding Nintendo is, like I said, irrelevant to the topic at hand, for the aforementioned reasons stated multiple times that you deliberately ignore due to a wierd victim complex. You still have yet to counter any fact that Nintendo has absolutely nothing to do with the OP, the ABK deal, or the hilariously hypocritical public outcry by Jimbo to regulators. Hence why you're so confused nobody is talking about it, like there's some illuminati shit going on 😂

Stay pressed.

Banned
I find it hilarious that people are actually delusional enough to think Street Fighter 5 only ever happened because Sony financed it...

which type of drug and what quantity do you need to take to come to that conclusion? 🤣

higher ups at Capcom looked at the 10 million sold copies of the SF4 series and said
"guys... we can't... we can't make Street Fighter 5... it's impossible! how would we ever financially recover? Let's instead make a Devil May Cry reboot instead! which is harder to develop and has sold about as much in its series history than the SF4 series!"
to which the rest of the management shouted:
"huzzah!!!"

for real, what are you guys smoking?

Last edited:

graywolf323

I find it hilarious that people are actually delusional enough to think Street Fighter 5 only ever happened because Sony financed it...

which type of drug and what quantity do you need to take to come to that conclusion? 🤣

higher ups at Capcom looked at the 10 million sold copies of the SF4 series and said
"guys... we can't... we can't make Street Fighter 5... it's impossible! how would we ever financially recover? Let's instead make a Devil May Cry reboot instead! which is harder to develop and has sold about as much in its series history than the SF4 series!"
to which the rest of the management shouted:
"huzzah!!!"

for real, what are you guys smoking?

despite people wanting to act otherwise, it’s been documented that Capcom was not in good financial shape back then, would SF V have happened eventually still? probably but it would have come out a lot later without Sony’s funding

this article goes into detail as to why V was exclusive (and why they didn’t think VI would be)

Banned
despite people wanting to act otherwise, it’s been documented that Capcom was not in good financial shape back then, would SF V have happened eventually still? probably but it would have come out a lot later without Sony’s funding

this article goes into detail as to why V was exclusive (and why they didn’t think VI would be)

it would have released maybe a year later, maybe 2 years later, but it would have happened.
the article you linked says how Capcom was already planning SF5 and already committed to the concept of it being more of an eSports game before Sony ever was involved.

sure Capcom might have had to postpone the development until their financial situation stabilised, but to say SF5 only happened thanks to Sony is simply ridiculous.
Fighting games are very easy to make compared to most genres, and Capcom was making way higher budget titles during the time SF5 was in the planning phases that were also way more risky.

not a single DMC game sold as many copies as Street Fighter 4 did. in fact DMC1-4 combined sold about as many copies as the Street Fighter 4 games.
10.9 Million copies had been sold of DMC 1 through 4
SF4 and it's updated versions sold about 10 million units.

yet Capcom in 2013 developed a reboot of DMC...
so insinuating that they didn't have the funds to make SF5 is ridiculous.
what was the case was their focus wasn't on making SF5, and Sony's money made them do it sooner, that's all.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Yes but with my luck I’d be wrong and instantly take a huge loss. It would be different if the market wasn’t so bad right now. 20% gain or 40% loss. I’d just rather not play.

Infamy v1

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

You're correct in that Capcom having financial issues back then pre-MonHunWorld, but we have no proof that the game (especially the most popular fighting IP at the time) wouldn't exist at all without Sony; in fact, quite the opposite, as 01011001 01011001 pointed out. I also remember Ono saying the game was being developed for Xbox One and PS4 but was many years out in 2016, to which people collectively lost their shit because they didn't think SFV would be so far out. What you linked was an opinion piece by Keith Mitchell, without citations or proof, who also goes on to say his opinion that SFV being exclusive was a mistake for the brand. It isn't incorrect to ascertain that Sony helped inject some cash into rushing the game out, but Ono himself as well as other Capcom brass, when asked why the game was exclusive, stated the reason being "vision" and "unity."

Was he correct about it being a mistake? Well, the game was rushed out in such an abysmal state that it almost killed the IP (and even though it became successful and grew legs due to brand strength, the initial few years were so rough that the game bombed via critical (reviewers) reception and Mortal Kombat became the de-facto most popular IP in the genre. Ed Boon couldn't have been happier at the timing.

The early release of SFV actually hurt the franchise more than it helped, but Sony wanted their own fighting game to combat Killer Instict because PSASBR flopped (which was stupid as Microsoft didn't take KI seriously, but it was popular in the FGC at the time I suppose) and needed it out as fast as possible. Very reminiscent to CoD; no need to create a competitor in the genre when youve failed to do so, just assosiate the most popular IP in the genre with your brand.

it would have released maybe a year later, maybe 2 years later, but it would have happened.
the article you linked says how Capcom was already planning SF5 and already committed to the concept of it being more of an eSports game before Sony ever was involved.

sure Capcom might have had to postpone the development until their financial situation stabilised, but to say SF5 only happened thanks to Sony is simply ridiculous.
Fighting games are very easy to make compared to most genres, and Capcom was making way higher budget titles during the time SF5 was in the planning phases that were also way more risky.

not a single DMC game sold as many copies as Street Fighter 4 did. in fact DMC1-4 combined sold about as many copies as the Street Fighter 4 games.
10.9 Million copies had been sold of DMC 1 through 4
SF4 and it's updated versions sold about 10 million units.

yet Capcom in 2013 developed a reboot of DMC...
so insinuating that they didn't have the funds to make SF5 is ridiculous.
what was the case was their focus wasn't on making SF5, and Sony's money made them do it sooner, that's all.

Bingo.

The thing I find fascinating are how certain fanboys crow about SF5 being needed to be funded, but constantly use Dead Rising as an example of a moneyhat (when Capcom have gone on record to say that Microsofts involvement with the IP are the only reason the games keep being made as they seemingly don't give a shit about the IP), Titanfall (when Respawn AND the EA CFO had to write a letter and publicly address the reasoning behind the exclusivity, even throwing Sony under the bus), or even the new one in this topic, Bayonetta, to which Kamiya have verbally stated 2/3 wouldn't exist at all if Nintendo didn't fund them. There's so many examples to use for MS/Nintendo moneyhats (RotTR? Resident Evil 4 GameCube? etc.) but the people talking about these while at the same time defending SFV are a sight to see. Edit: Cognitive dissonance, yadda yadda.

Last edited:

CuNi

Yes and i hope activision tanks MS hard, their only current good upcoming game looks like d4 from blizz, after that probably many years of shitfest, and lol @cod, its total junk nowadays , i only loved singleplayer campaign but now even this is bad, so fuck it, by the time MS got cod exclusivity it will be 2nd halo- glory of the past.

Cool take mate.
Activision sold more than 25m CoD game entries between 2021 and 2022.
What a massive "glory of the past" it must be, being the 3rd biggest Gaming Franchise (game copies sold) only being beaten by Mario #1 and Tetris being #2.

Orbital2060

Its odd how the UK CMA body chose to repeat the comments that Sony made on the deal. And not take into account all of the entries, like Apples and Googles, and other game publishers. Sonys was the single comment that aired any kind of discontent. Google said something about CoD not being a unique game, and that there would still be room for more acquisitions and their company didnt have any issues with this. So its weird to read a government-level agency take the side of one corporation - the corporation that most out of all them dont want this to happen - and not consider all of them and also take into account how the deal and aspects like game pass is a great deal for consumers and that its irrelevant if Sony is way behind on this. You cant ask Microsoft to wait a few years for Sony to catch up on the sub side and eventually keep their dominance. Thats not how business work, and its a benefit to all consumers in troubled economies.

So reading this kind one-sided corporate take from a government body is odd and not a good look for the UK. An eventual aftermath with court proceedings will question why the CMA didnt take into account any of the other companies’ comments.

Edit on topic Im not sure if its going through with the above situation, or if someone wants to make this a long haul in the courts that will ultimately settle in MS favor but it will take years.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its odd how the UK CMA body chose to repeat the comments that Sony made on the deal.

That's like calling foul because a Judge repeated the comments of the defence during proceedings of a trial.

Its evidence and argument that needs to be considered. It'd be far more peculiar if they just rubber-stamped the decision.

Infamy v1

Its odd how the UK CMA body chose to repeat the comments that Sony made on the deal. And not take into account all of the entries, like Apples and Googles, and other game publishers. Sonys was the single comment that aired any kind of discontent. Google said something about CoD not being a unique game, and that there would still be room for more acquisitions and their company didnt have any issues with this. So its weird to read a government-level agency take the side of one corporation - the corporation that most out of all them dont want this to happen - and not consider all of them and also take into account how the deal and aspects like game pass is a great deal for consumers and that its irrelevant if Sony is way behind on this. You cant ask Microsoft to wait a few years for Sony to catch up on the sub side and eventually keep their dominance. Thats not how business work, and its a benefit to all consumers in troubled economies.

So reading this kind one-sided corporate take from a government body is odd and not a good look for the UK. An eventual aftermath with court proceedings will question why the CMA didnt take into account any of the other companies’ comments.

Hoeg Law already addressed this, which is why most rational people think the CMA's tweets hold no water and the stock price didn't plummet after their announcement (it actually rose, lol).

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Speaking as a PS only gamer, I think it will go through, and more importantly, it should go through. The gaming industry is, for the most part, uber competitive. Consumers will ultimately abandon a franchise if their demands aren't met, regardless of how awesome a track record the franchise might have developed in the past. Developer talent is also difficult to retain and they will leave for other opportunities if their needs aren't met. You don't have to look far to see examples of this (see Halo). Hell, it's even evident to a certain degree already with the CoD franchise.

I also don't blame Jim Ryan. As head of SIE, he is simply doing his job. When the status quo that has benefited your company is threatened, if you're not bitching and moaning in hopes of regulators miraculously agreeing with you, you're not doing your job right, imo.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Without a doubt it will go through. There are some who are praying that it won't so they can score some internet points but they will be disappointed. MS will not have went ahead with it if they didn't think there was a very good chance it could go through.

This time next year MS will own Activision Blizzard.

Flakster99

Yes, I do.

Microsoft said from the very beginning this may take until the next fiscal year to be completed. This is a normal part of the process that will take time to iron out the details, perhaps even a court battle or two may be in the cards if a Country denies the buyout. The FTC is the main/ most important body to follow, pay attention to, they will ultimately decide the outcome.

Orbital2060

That's like calling foul because a Judge repeated the comments of the defence during proceedings of a trial.

Its evidence and argument that needs to be considered. It'd be far more peculiar if they just rubber-stamped the decision.
That judge has to consider ALL of the testimonies, then. There were 8 or something companies that commented on this deal.

Flakster99

Speaking as a PS only gamer, I think it will go through, and more importantly, it should go through. The gaming industry is, for the most part, uber competitive. Consumers will ultimately abandon a franchise if their demands aren't met, regardless of how awesome a track record the franchise might have developed in the past. Developer talent is also difficult to retain and they will leave for other opportunities if their needs aren't met. You don't have to look far to see examples of this (see Halo). Hell, it's even evident to a certain degree already with the CoD franchise.

I also don't blame Jim Ryan. As head of SIE, he is simply doing his job. When the status quo that has benefited your company is threatened, if you're not bitching and moaning in hopes of regulators miraculously agreeing with you, you're not doing your job right, imo.

I agree with every single thing you said.

Top Bottom