• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think that a lot of people bought Cyberpunk 2077 expecting a GTA styled game?

Umbasaborne

Banned
If 1.5 had been the base release the game might have had a different trajectory at launch. I'm seeing enough positive response to 1.5 that if they keep at it and start adding stuff in, like the working train system, then it could have a good recovery. Just another lesson that you can't bow to the pressure, you have to release when it's ready and no sooner.
Yeah its really good now. It would have been one of the must have next gen launch titles if it launched in this state over a year ago. But obviously it wasnt ready in 2020. I have to imagine the perception of this game would be much more positive had it launched in full this year in good shape. The 2020 launch was essentially early access without calling it early access. I hope more people give it a chance now, but i also cant blame folks for continuing to ignore the game after cdpr shit the the bed. No matter how good it gets, it will forever be associated with controversy and that launch. They still have an uphill battle, especially wirh other big next gen games like dying light 2, horizon forbidden west, and elden ring

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I expected something fun at the very least. Too bad that didn't happen.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Funny reading this topic. I've been playing it since the next gen patch and to me it feels a *LOT* more like GTA than I anticipated.

I was expecting it to be different, but it feels like a less polished GTA with better combat and RPG mechanics, with the biggest difference not being able to jack every car you can see.

Kagey K

Banned
I expected Deus Ex blown up and that's what I got.

Game is actually good, I played 30 hours when it came out and just played another 30 or so to finish it after this patch.

It's a fucking great game.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I expected something fun at the very least. Too bad that didn't happen.
The game is make your own fun.

Guns blazing, poured stealth, or hack everything choices are yours.

I'm thinking you didn't bother to play long enough to even scratch the surface of "fun"

Rest

The game is make your own fun.

Guns blazing, poured stealth, or hack everything choices are yours.

I'm thinking you didn't bother to play long enough to even scratch the surface of "fun"
If I have invest an arbitrary amount of time into a program before I'm allowed to have fun then that program has failed to be a game. Fun starts when the game boots, not 20 hours later.

Kagey K

Banned
If I have invest an arbitrary amount of time into a program before I'm allowed to have fun then that program has failed to be a game. Fun starts when the game boots, not 20 hours later.
So how much time did you actually play it?

Instead of deflecting tell us about the chance you gave it.

The most popular game right now (Elden Ring) takes about 2 hours before the fun starts.

Should I just delete it because of the performance issues and the fun didn't start when the game booted?

Last edited:
I think people bought it based on promises. What we got is T Pose central and shit performance.
For me the bugs and glitches on PC are no where as bad as console. What bugs me the most is the lackuster RPG elements and bad AI and Police system and the world seem dead with nothing to do outside of main story.

Rest

So how much time did you actually play it?

Instead of deflecting tell us about the chance you gave it.

The most popular game right now (Elden Ring) takes about 2 hours before the fun starts.

Should I just delete it because of the performance issues and the fun didn't start when the game booted?
Why? What does it matter to you what games I like or don't like. As to giving you advice about games, since you asked, I would say you should play games that respect your time. But if sitting bored with a controller in your hand for some number of hours doesn't bother you carry on. It's your time, not mine.

RyRy93

I expected Deus Ex but bigger and set in a less depressing world.

As poor as the police AI and sandbox elements were it didn't bother me because I wasn't playing it like GTA.

Kagey K

Banned
Why? What does it matter to you what games I like or don't like. As to giving you advice about games, since you asked, I would say you should play games that respect your time. But if sitting bored with a controller in your hand for some number of hours doesn't bother you carry on. It's your time, not mine.
I just like to see how educated about a game a person is when throwing around definitive statements.

I don't think it was unfair to ask how far you actually played before giving up, but you obviously took offense to it.

I don't go running into threads for games I haven't played or quit early on because I can't draw a fair conclusion of them, at that time.

I was trying to figure out how much your opinion should weigh, but since you avoided the question, I'm doubting you played it in any shape or form.

Ammogeddon

I was expecting a first person rpg in a world with depth. What we got was window dressing.

I’ve accepted it for what it is and I am enjoying it now.

This game is a big disappointment unfortunately you have the pc needs defending it, the game is not fun it looks great but the game lacks GTA quality and immersiveness and character development

The missions are dull

You would have heard things like the below leading up to launch via twitter and their youtube demo walkthroughs:

'Get ready for the next generation of open-world adventure, with a deeper look at Cyberpunk 2077 in the full Gameplay Trailer'

When you're throwing around these kinds of words, the GTA comparisons will be inevitable as that's the current benchmark. NPC's also had reported full day/night cycles. Does this not sound to you like anything above what GTA can accomplish? Next gen of open world adventure? Shit I was expecting this game to make GTA look like pong.

Last edited:
Not really, I expected WITCHER 3 IN the future and thast pretty much what we got. I dont know why would anyone connect it to GTA when its much closer to games like Deus Ex, Fallout, etc.

SkylineRKR

I enjoyed it a ton, also because I bought it for 25 bucks a few weeks back and 1.5 was my first time trying it. But its a very shallow game at its core, thats the biggest problem. To me its nothing like TW3. In TW3 the world is more lively, you can do lots of side activities and stuff too. I found the NPC and lore of TW much better (likely because its based on books). TW3 places you in White Orchard which is a tutorial sandbox, and then gradually opens up.

In Cyberpunk there isn't much to do besides gigs, sidejobs and crimes which are all similar; kill a group of bad guys and procure an item. The final moments of the game are pretty much identical to the first. The game stays the same throughout the entire journey. Cyberpunk falls flat when compared to Deus Ex, which has much more enjoyable gameplay and cybernetic powers imo. Also the amount of choices you have to complete a mission, based on your build. Like using wall breach, heavy lifting, hacking or high jumping etc. In Cyberpunk its mostly body or technical ability that let you open up a door.

I finished the game and the story isn't really gripping either. I didn't care for much of the characters, and there is a lot of force walking. The FPS gameplay is mediocre but luckily you can use Smart weapons and hack, which I used a lot.

I don't know why this game doesn't have street races besides that dull side story with the bar lady involving 4/5 ish races. Later cars like the Quadra Turbo are pretty fun to drive. And it seems you can't customize them either which is a missed chance. Really there was already FAR more depth in San Andreas when it comes to open world games.

Last edited:
I’ve never understood why anyone compared this game to
It’s more like it than not. Open world, story driven crime simulator within a virtual city. Certainly has it’s differences (rpg), but let’s not act like it’s some wildly different form of entertainment.

I’ve finally gotten some hours into 1.5 and don’t think it’s a complete abomination anymore. You have to overlook a bunch to enjoy it though.

Interfectum

I would think most were expecting Witcher 3 + Cyberpunk. No one should have ever expected GTA.

CDPR gave us neither so it doesn’t matter really. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom