• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think that a lot of people bought Cyberpunk 2077 expecting a GTA styled game?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Cyberpunk broke a lot of peoples hearts because of performance issues I can't say I had those issues, I expected a GTA style game yes and that's a rational expectation obviously it's not Grand Theft Auto.

Woggleman

People expected a working game. I am glad that the game has been fixed to the point that people can see there is a very good game underneath but the state it launched in was an utter disgrace. People talk about the issues with Horizon and Elden Ring but they are still perfectly playable and functional games on release. Cyberpunk was literally unplayable for a large part of the people who bought it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I bought this game last year but just started playing it after the next gen upgrade. I am really enjoying it so far. To me it's more of an action RPG than straight action. Do you think that folks went into the game thinking that it was going to be just like GTA?
People (except maybe casuals) didn't expect GTA from it, but they expected many of the things that were advertised, shown off, and showcased in articles, videos, etc.

For example: When people complain about the cops teleporting in front or near them, they aren't trying to say it should have been like GTA. They are simply wanting the game to have better Ai/mechanics than some games decades ago. CDPR had A LOT of games to get ideas from or simply copy and they failed.

Pagusas

Elden Member
No, I was expecting a Dues Ex Open World. It didnt live up to even a fraction of that.

I think thats the real problem with Cyberpunk. Everything it wanted to do has been done better by others. Witcher 3 thrived because it did certain things way better, setting the standard for the future. Cyberpunk failed at that. And its seriously sad because they had the perfect world to work with to make a very interesting, interactive and full open world. Instead we got rinse and repeat crap.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I don’t know, it seems a bit like a GTA rpg to me.

I am enjoying it for what it is. I would have liked a 3rd person option

I was expecting a very deep RPG experience with quests that branch in various directions, player choices that feel impactful, and a living-breathing world that would be on-par with GTA V. Instead we got a dumbed-down RPG like Mass Effect 3 with tons of bugs and an open world that may look pretty from certain angles, but filled with systems and NPCs that are even stupider than games a decade ago. I think Watch Dogs (2014) had a more engaging open world than Cyberpunk 2077, so that should tell you something.

Arcadialane

100% People expected a cyberpunk gta

But this goes for every open world game, they will forever be compared with GTA

Last edited:

wipeout364

That seems so weird to me that people expected. GTA style game from the developers the Witcher series. Bizarre really. I expected a cross between Deus Ex, the Witcher and Fallout 3/New Vegas.

CamHostage

Maybe, but I didn't see much of that response of it being not what was expected. I remember back in the days there were reviews of Fallout 3 going, "WTF, my bullets keep missing, I'm shooting him right in the face?!?", but RPGs have come a ways since then and I don't think Cyberpunk mechanics are necessarily that far out there anyway.

HGK48Cx.jpg

Last edited:

Lupin25

People bought it expecting the systems CPDR promised at launch (which are now gradually being included in the game, but still lacking depth).

Majukun

Yeah they did
On the other side some people bought it expecting a mechanical and story deep rpg.

In the end we got neither

imsosleepy

i think people expected a rpg first
Where u could customize alot but since they went first person that fell apart, then they removed alot of things like appartments.. and then they moved to GTA style marketing but then people compared it to gta and since the beginning of time gta has a good chasing system when ur driving.. Well cyberpunk has the absolute worst? So it sucked as a rpg and it sucked as gta
it just had a gorgeous world, immersive to be in, immersive storyline. the first person really does help to immerse yourself. But then they released it a year or 2 to soon because of greed and getting it out for their stock holders and everyone complained that it ran so shit on base consoles

i expected a third person RPG with flying cars. Then they finally revealed the game and it was an FPS. Then they hyped it up to sound like Cyberpunk GTA in first person. Then i finally played it and its a wonky Fallout game where u drive around on land

Last edited:
I expected something closer to Fallout with vehicles than I did GTA. I haven't played the game just yet, but I'm guessing I'll be a lot closer than people who went in expecting a first-person GTA.

i expected a third person RPG with flying cars. Then they finally revealed the game and it was an FPS. Then they hyped it up to sound like Cyberpunk GTA in first person. Then i finally played it and its a wonky Fallout game where u drive around on land
Odd timing, but I wrote what I did before reading your post.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I expected GTA elements but didn't outright think it was going to be a GTA style game. I also expected RPG elements but it didn't like an RPG either really.

Just kinda feels like a FarCry game but with a different setting. Granted, I only put like 10-15 hours into it, but I feel like that's enough to get a good idea of what the game is like. I need to get back to it and see what patch 1.5 is all about but just don't really care at this point. Someday though.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Played the trial for half a hour, and lost interest. Boring driving, boring shooting and even worse narrative. Failed to see how the stats impact any of my actions. About what I expected to be honest.

It actually is sorta, a very different style that's a heavy duty RPG, but it definitely has that GTA vibe to it for sure. Anyone saying the game fails as an RPG doesn't know what they're talking about.

SkylineRKR

I expected a Witcher in a Cyberpunk world type of game. But bigger since the size of the map was confirmed long ago.

I am at the endgame and its a great game. But its also sort of empty and soulless at the same time. I really, really enjoy it though. But its story, character development and pace has nothing on Witcher 3. Cyberpunk kind of suffers from the FFXV syndrome. It doesn't exactly know what to do with such a big open world. And choices don't matter at all, or they hardly do. There is little to do besides doing NCPD crimes, gigs and side stories.

But driving around in this huge city is awesome (some cars are pretty fun, like the Quadra turbo). The gameplay isn't that bad. It takes some tweaking, and I mostly run a Smart weapon for primary. But you can do some decent stuff with quickhacks.

The RPG side is deep, but the game is too easy. I actually prefer how Witcher dealt with this. 4 magics, all useful with different trees, armor sets you could craft and actually looked awesome and impacted your style of play (Griffin if you prioritized casts etc). Good thing Cyberpunk is FP, because most of the time I looked fucking awful.

I didn’t, and I’m quite happy it. I don’t know what people are complaining about aside from the buggy mess it was at launch, it’s a great game now. I like the story, I like the music, love the RPG aspects of it, the combat is really good from gunplay to melee, there are so many ways to tackle an objective from the tools you use to the route you can take, the hacking is really fun, stealth is well done, characters are well written, it’s all fantastic. The world they created is one of the best out there, it’s so layered and so well designed and interconnected, not to mention stunning. The radio stations are mediocre though. It’s far from perfect, but it’s a fantastic game.

Last edited:

RPSleon

The stories in this game are better than those of gta in my opinion. But i did play the last gta game when it came out on PS3. So the memory is a bit foggy.

People probably did expect gta, and to a point, you can play it that way, but it really doesnt pull you down that kinda path. I dont ever find myself wanting to play it like gta, instead it pulls me in to all the stories and i cant stop playing it when i should.

Driving is okay, could be better. Shooting is more fun than gta, especially with later weapons. Police are not even slightly a threat.

Expected witcher- like in a city bigger than Novigrad and Beauclair, expectation met albeit would love a gwent like minigame or even some management stuff from Yakuza series to really sell the city.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think people like dunking on an overmarketed over hyped game. They real issue was the tragically unstable and poor performing console releases, and the impossibly high expectations, more than the core game, but once there was blood in the water, that became the story.

Braag

Yeah, a lot did. Twitter is still full of people who directly compare it to GTA.
If you make any type of game which takes place in a remotely modern city where you can shoot people and drive cars, people expect it to be like GTA.
GTA fans are incredibly hungry for that part VI.

oldergamer

I think people like dunking on an overmarketed over hyped game. They real issue was the tragically unstable and poor performing console releases, and the impossibly high expectations, more than the core game, but once there was blood in the water, that became the story.
it was really only unstable and poor performing on playstation 4 and Xbox one. PS5 lacked all the traffic and pedestrians. It was fine on xbox one X or series X.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
it was really only unstable and poor performing on playstation 4 and Xbox one. PS5 lacked all the traffic and pedestrians. It was fine on xbox one X or series X.
I heard the PS5 version still crashed like crazy for a long time, but yes, it was the last gen versions that poisoned the well, but that set the tone for coverage and for the discourse, and once that happened, people were gonna pick the game apart.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I bought it because it was ten dollars at Best Buy and I wanted to see those V1 bugs for myself

BrentonB

Yes, I do. I don't want to say people are playing a game wrong, but... trying to play it like it's GTA misses the whole point. CD Projekt said repeatedly that it's an RPG first and I imagine they meant for you to roleplay a non-psycho? You can debate how well they pull off the RPG part but it seems that most people default to 'blow up all the things' when in an open world. Intent from the developer didn't meet expectations from the audience on this one.

lefty1117

Gold Member
If 1.5 had been the base release the game might have had a different trajectory at launch. I'm seeing enough positive response to 1.5 that if they keep at it and start adding stuff in, like the working train system, then it could have a good recovery. Just another lesson that you can't bow to the pressure, you have to release when it's ready and no sooner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom