• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think PC will get more support than PS5 for Japanese games.

Will PC get more Japanese support than PS%

• Yes

Votes: 42 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Probably the same amount.

Votes: 16 17.6%

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Seems like there’s been a lot of Japanese games coming to PC especially in the mmo department with Blue Protocol, Tower of fantasy and others. Do you think PC will get more support than PS5 this gen?
1. put up a poll
2. yes. Japanese indies (Cave Story, Corpse Party and Yume Nikki are perfect examples of this) have gravitated towards PC for the longest time and now even Japanese AAA/AA are catching on. Playstation hasn't been the 'japanese' gaming console since mid PS4, debatably since late ps3. that's Nintendo's forte now

SNG32

1. put up a poll
2. yes. Japanese indies (Cave Story, Corpse Party and Yume Nikki are perfect examples of this) have gravitated towards PC for the longest time and now even Japanese AAA/AA are catching on. Playstation hasn't been the 'japanese' gaming console since mid PS4, debatably since late ps3. that's Nintendo's forte now

Noted. The only one I can think of this gen that will have some exclusivity is Final Fantasy 16 and Demons Souls. But they said that Final Fantasy 16 is only going to be exclusive to PS5 for 6 months and eventually I think will see Demon Souls on PC.

Fbh

Yes.
Pc now gets most major Japanese games. PC is also less affected by console exclusivity deals so it gets most games which were money hatted by Sony and Nintendo (though it takes a while sometimes) and the few japanese titles from MS (mainly
Tango Gameworks). PC also gets all the MMO online crap that doesn't always make it to consoles.

And...i mean....if we count Hentai games then it's not even close.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Seems like there’s been a lot of Japanese games coming to PC especially in the mmo department with Blue Protocol, Tower of fantasy and others. Do you think PC will get more support than PS5 this gen?

PC always has, you just probably don't play the genre... *cough*

JiH1tXH.jpg

Last edited:

SNG32

PC always has, you just probably don't play the genre... *cough*
I've always had but let's be honest ever since these consoles went to x86 architecture there's been alot more games especially with fighting games and jrpgs. From PS1 - PS3 pc missed out on quite a bit of these games.

Edit I just seen the picture 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

lordrand11

From a pricing perspective it's cheaper to push an update on Steam and PC than it is for Sony or Microsoft's systems.

Unless you're a dick-waving PC master race fanboy, why does it matter?

I mean, I love a good Japanese eroge hentai game myself. But I understand why they won't come to consoles.

ssringo

There's an entire dlsite of Japanese games. Most of which have zero chance of ever being on PS5.

Last edited:

Puscifer

I've always had but let's be honest ever since these consoles went to x86 architecture there's been alot more games especially with fighting games and jrpgs. From PS1 - PS3 pc missed out on quite a bit of these games.

Edit I just seen the picture 🤣🤣🤣
Lol which games exactly? I was playing Grandia on PC back in the 90s, fighting games ALWAYS had a presence on PC to the point that one's without online we were creating tunnel programs including one so damn good (GGPO) that it's been ported to console and is the defacto matchmaking solution.

SNG32

Lol which games exactly? I was playing Grandia on PC back in the 90s, fighting games ALWAYS had a presence on PC to the point that one's without online we were creating tunnel programs including one so damn good (GGPO) that it's been ported to console and is the defacto matchmaking solution.
Tekken, Soul-Calibur, Dead or Alive, Just started goin on the PC between late PS3 and PS4. I mean without emulation you wouldn't be able to play the all the installations for all these games.

Roxkis_ii

It's a lower barrier to entry to make games on PC, so duh!

*Patiently waiting for done keeper to come to console*

Yes.

Also PC gets both the PS and Switch console exclusives. So you can play both Triangle Strategy and Forspoken on PC, for example. Not that I'd want to.

And btw ElecHead is an incredible Japanese indie game on Steam that absolutely everybody should check out.

Last edited:
Unless you're a dick-waving PC master race fanboy, why does it matter?

I mean, I love a good Japanese eroge hentai game myself. But I understand why they won't come to consoles.
Yeah, and most of those released even in the past year have minimum requirements of like, a Core 2 Duo lol, so basically any computer manufactured in the past 15+ years can run them.

SenkiDala

Well yes obviously, for sure PC don't get some games on day one (like FFXVI because Sony paid for the PS5 temp exclusivity), but between all machines (Switch, Xbox, PS5, PC) it gets the most games.

PC gets the Kiseki series, the Ys series, Persona series, Bravely Default 2, NieR games, AI games, Yakuza games, Triangle Strategy, Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Dragon Quest... etc etc.

And the new generation of gamers in Japan, is on PC, not on consoles, so yes the games will come more and more.

Woopah

They'll be some games on PC and not PS5, but I don't think they''ll be many significant ones. PS/PC/Switch multiplatofrm development will be the main approach for the Japanese publishers, with a lot of those games being on Xbox too.

SenkiDala

That article says nothing about younger generations being more likely to play on PC, though, just that the market has grown overall.
When I was living in Japan most gamers there were console gamers (it was 2009/2012), the same person now play on PC, the contacts I kept play on PC. The young generation there is like the one in EU (where I live) and USA, they're influenced by streamers, twitch, youtubers etc, and a huge majority of this community play on PC, so they follow that trend.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Japanese gamers were always into PC gaming well before the playstation. Not dos/windows exactly but PC none the less.

The young generation there is like the one in EU (where I live) and USA, they're influenced by streamers, twitch, youtubers etc, and a huge majority of this community play on PC, so they follow that trend.
I'm not really buying that. Not without actual numbers, anyway.

Let's just use Fortnite as an example, since that game is well known to have an exceptionally young audience - looking up the stats, over 60% are between 18 and 24, and most of the remaining 40% are likely to be even younger than that. If younger gamers had a tendency to prefer PC, you'd definitely expect that to be reflected in the platform choices in this particular game. But it isn't. While it's very common for Fortnite streamers and Youtubers to play on PC, only around 13% of the overall playerbase does. Nearly half of all players are on Playstation, and consoles as a whole have such an overwhelming lead that even the Xbox One version of Fortnite brings in more revenue than the PC and mobile versions combined.

If it's not happening there, I'm having a bit of a hard time believing it's happening in the industry as a whole.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
At some point it might for now there are still several games Japanese games I really enjoy in PS5 and Switch that never makes to PC and even big Japanese games like FFXVI doesn't come out day 1.

This is mostly why I stick with my PS5 and Switch, they get 90% games I enjoy.

SNG32

At some point it might for now there are still several games Japanese games I really enjoy in PS5 and Switch that never makes to PC and even big Japanese games like FFXVI doesn't come out day 1.

This is mostly why I stick with my PS5 and Switch, they get 90% games I enjoy.
What games? Other than Final Fantasy 16 You can play switch games through emulation.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What games? Other than Final Fantasy 16 You can play switch games through emulation.
All Vanillaware games like 13 Sentinels, Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown and upcoming GrimGrimoire OnceMore is not coming out on PC and majority of Nintendo exclusives never makes it to PC

EDMIX

All Vanillaware games like 13 Sentinels, Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown and upcoming GrimGrimoire OnceMore is not coming out on PC and majority of Nintendo exclusives never makes it to PC

True, you are seeing more and more publishers open to putting their titles on PC, but its up to that community to buy the content for them to continue.

Support is not default.

I think people get in their heads that "oh snap, now WeebooXYZ is coming to (insert platform), now the rest will keep coming" completely disregarding that is subject to performance.

Content continues to come to Nintendo and PS platforms based on that continued support, for PC to get more of that content, there must be enough sales for that to actually keep happening with some of those IP. For all we know many publishers may have made their choice to move on based on poor sales or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom