• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Insomniac's talent is being "wasted" on superhero IPs?

Do you think Insomniac's talent is being "wasted" on superhero IPs?

• Total voters

sublimit

Banned
I think we can all agree that Insomniac is a very talented studio with extremelly few missteps in their entire carreer something that for a studio of such a long history is trully admirable.

However with Spiderman's and Miles Morales success it seems that Sony wants to make them a studio that is focused on Marvel IPs with the occassional R&C game here and there. Or maybe that was Insomniac's decision or something (which is the most likely scenario) that they both Sony and Insomniac gladly agreed. For fans of Marvel and superheros in general i think this is a great thing but for those of us who are not interested in superheros (or established IPs) it's really a shame that Insomniac will not have a chance to work on a completely new and fresh IP of their own.

Are you ok with Insomniac continue making R&C and superhero games or do you want to see them try their hands on a new IP of their own?

Fake

Yes. I remember DF saying the same, about Insomniac start to only make Marvel games, just like the Deus EX dev team just imprision of making the Guardian of the Galaxy games.

Insomniac used to make new IPs, take risk. As much I like Spider-Man, I want new IPs too.

Kilau

Hopefully they will get to make their own IP still, time will tell.

As long as they aren’t put into a GAAS mtx grind I won’t feel they are being wasted.

Arun1910

I think its fine for now.

Insomniac made their own IPs for years. I'm personally glad that, for the moment, we are getting some good superhero games from Developers who have passion and talent for that sort of genre.

It can't go on forever, but as of now, no I don't think the talent is being wasted, I think its being put to good use.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Well I enjoyed Spiderman, so i cant wait for Wolverine.

Ratchet and clank on the other hand, is not a bad game, but it plays way too safe.

Last edited:

Genx3

Hopefully they will get to make their own IP still, time will tell.

As long as they aren’t put into a GAAS mtx grind I won’t feel they are being wasted.

Didn't Insomniac know before the buy out they were basically going to be the Spiderman factory?

Genx3

I don't know where this absurd notion is coming from that devs like Insomniac are being held hostage and forced to make superhero games against their will, but it's dumb as fuck.
Exactly, before the Sony buy out Insomniac already knew they were going to become the Spiderman factory.

If they didn't want that they wouldn't have sold out.

killatopak

You can tell the team was absolutely passionate about Spiderman.

I don't know of it's the same for the other IPs. Maybe they personally asked for a Wolverine game, who knows.

The head of the team need to say if this ip was shoved into them or if they did it willingly.

Last edited:

Megatron

Were Robert Downy Jr and Hugh Jackman ’wasted’ on Super hero movies?

Defintely not. Personally, I would way rather play a new Spiderman or Wolverine game than Ratchet or Resistance Or Sunset Overdrive or Fuse. Yeah, remember Fuse? Don’t assume that just because they make a new IP that it would automatically be any good.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
No of course it is not wasted on those ip's.

The question should be if they could be more creative with an original ip of their own.

I'm thirsting for the Wolverine game and i'm happy they do it. But i also hope they can do whatever they want after Spider-Man and Wolverine.
Pretty sure they want to work with those ip's because they are fans.

sublimit

Banned
How is it wasted? If they keep making great games, that's what talent should be used for, isn't it?

Have you played Spider-Man? That shit is amazing.
I used to love superhero comics and i still have a collection of more than 3000 comics. However it has been almost 15 years since i stopped reading,buying or watching their movies. I kind of got tired of them and i also don't like the way Marvel is currently treating their IPs with their political and social agendas being forced in them.

But even back when i was still reading and collecting i was never a big fan of Spiderman.I think his best stories were written in the 70's and until the mid-80's but after that he became a total wimp.The movies were also terrible.

However that doesn't mean that i can't appreciate how good Insomniac's game was from a graphical and gameplay standpoint.
I don't know where this absurd notion is coming from that devs like Insomniac are being held hostage and forced to make superhero games against their will, but it's dumb as fuck.

However with Spiderman's and Miles Morales success it seems that Sony wants to make them a studio that is focused on Marvel IPs with the occassional R&C game here and there. Or maybe that was Insomniac's decision or something (which is the most likely scenario) that they both Sony and Insomniac gladly agreed.

The fact is we don't know the details behind their agreement.

Last edited:

Agent X

Are you ok with Insomniac continue making R&C and superhero games or do you want to see them try their hands on a new IP of their own?

I'm fine with it. Their Spider-Man games were massive successes from both a critical and commercial perspective. If they're comfortable working on more Marvel games, then that's a good thing.

At the same time, I don't want them to only do Marvel games going forward. I'm glad they got the opportunity to produce another Ratchet & Clank game this year (which I still haven't played). I hope they can bring us more in the future, and maybe revive some of their other old properties or whip up something entirely new.

They should stop wasting their talent on R&C.

Boo this person.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I kind of got tired of them and i also don't like the way Marvel is currently treating their IPs with their political and social agendas being forced in them.
Oh jesus fucking christ. Have you ever heard Stan Lee talk about any of the comics he worked on? Marvel has always been about social issues. Just because you were too dumb to understand them as a child doesn't mean that anything has changed. And the idea that you resent having your attention called to social ills says more about you than it does about the media which "offends" your sensibilities.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t really mind either way. New IPs are nice, but there’s always a risk of it being in a genre you might not enjoy. With both Spider-Man and Wolverine I feel like I kinda know what I’m going to get, and I know I’ll most likely enjoy both greatly.

sublimit

Banned
Oh jesus fucking christ. Have you ever heard Stan Lee talk about any of the comics he worked on? Marvel has always been about social issues. Just because you were too dumb to understand them as a child doesn't mean that anything has changed. And the idea that you resent having your attention called to social ills says more about you than it does about the media which "offends" your sensibilities.
Oh wow such an intelligent reply. It's obvious you really know your stuff.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I understand what OP means but not really.

It's a bit safe and boring but as long as the games are good. A new IP from them late in the PS5s life like Sucker Punch did with Ghost of Tsushima wouldn't be so bad.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think they're copying Batman gameplay almost entirely and using one of the best IP in existence. So no they're not too good for Marvel. Honestly, none of their games were wildly successful until Spider Man. They're good but the recent exaggeration about them is extreme.

Doom85

Too early to tell, the newest Ratchet and Clank isn’t even a year old so it would be presumptuous to say they’re ignoring it in the future. And superhero games can offer variety, Wolverine should control differently than Spidey in quite a few ways.

Topher

Gold Member
I think they're copying Batman gameplay almost entirely and using one of the best IP in existence. So no they're not too good for Marvel. Honestly, none of their games were wildly successful until Spider Man. They're good but the recent exaggeration about them is extreme.

Definitely borrowed heavily from Batman but also put their own spin on with the variety of suits and powers. But you are absolutely right that until Spider-Man, they really didn't have a killer franchise. They tried with R&C which is great, but it misses the mark in broad appeal. They have found their niche and it is no surprise, to me at least, that they are going to continue doing something they are good at.

Anything superhero related bores the crap out of me, so yes. That being said, I probably wouldn't be playing their games even if they made something else, so it's not like it bothers me.

yurinka

No. I think Spider-Man and Wolverine/X-Men IPs are way more appealing to me (and looking at sales, to most of the gaming market) than Ratchet, Resistance, Sunset Overdrive, Spyro, Fuse or any other IP they created.

So I prefer to see these super talented and super productive folks working on IPs I prefer. For me what it would be a waste would be to have them working on Resistance, Sunset Overdrive, Spyro, Fuse and so on. I think they do a great job with Ratchet, Spider-Man and VR.

They have been growing (and will continue growing) and now they seem to be able to work in 3 or 4 games at the same time with teams that help each other when needed and share some people:
-Spider-Man 1 & Spider-Man 2 team
-Miles Morales & Wolverine/X-Men team
-Ratchet team
-New IP and VR/AR games team, unlike the other ones this team would be more focused on R&D, creativity and innovation instead of in blockbuster commercial success

And if they don't have these teams, I think it's very likely they will end having them. For I'd spend 25% of their resources in Spider-Man, 25% in Wolverine/X-Men, 25% in Ratchet/other Insomniac or Sony sequels, 25% in new IP or VR.

And I'd like to see them to continue focusing on Ratchet, Spider-Man & Wolverine/X-Men IP combined with (as something secondary) new IP + VR games. I wouldn't like to see them working in future new Resistance, Sunset Overdrive, Spyro (IP owned by Activision) or Fuse (IP owned by EA) games, I think that would be to waste their talent. I'd keep these series dead or I'd give them to other teams to make good remakes (as Toys for Bob did with Spyro or Crash).

Didn't Insomniac know before the buy out they were basically going to be the Spiderman factory?
After they released the first Spider-Man game, they released 4 non Spider-Man titles and a second Spider-Man game (that many people call a DLC and say it isn't a game).

So no, they aren't a Spider-Man factory and they knew they weren't going to be a Spider-Man factory. Hermen Hulst also said that around half of their over 25 games under development are new IPs, which combined with the fact PSVR2 would be released the next year or so I assume it means that the next Insomniac game to be announced would be a new IP for VR.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Game Informer had a decent but brief editorial talking about how we're probably going to be seeing alot of big name developers teaming up with other companies properties for licensed games going forward. Insomniac/Spidey, Respawn/Star Wars, Rocksteady/Suicide Squad, Machine/Indy to name a few.
Maybe thats what some games/devs need to ensure big sales? Insomniac tried the original ip Sunset Overdrive, and from what I gather that flopped.

Personally ide like to see orignal ips and ideas - but if the games are good theres not much to complain about - and theyll actually do the license justice for fans of the property.
I think since ive been gaming so long - the stench of hundreds of horrific licensed games put me off of them - but there are, admittedly, many worthy modern licensed games now.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Absolutely not.
They have three teams do they not?
They can have two teams working on Marvel IPs and have the third team hopefully having earned some level of trust try some new ideas.
Their engine is so good and robust id hope they get a chance to do some projects outside of Ratchet and Marvel.

<---Obviously loves comics, just look at my Avatar.
Nice

They are achieving financial success.

They to tried to make an iOS “pokemon” game, they tried making vr games, Fuze, Sunset Overdrive, and many more. Ratchet and Clank probably kept them up float all this time.

There’s Marvel proprieties will keep them float. I can see them experimenting with Ratchet and Clank alot. Probably release a Sunset Overdrive reskin. Making it more kid friendly. And a Resistance Remake.

No, while they're has been some decent if not a good handful of spiderman games over the years. Insomniac has been really the one of the few developers who puts out quality spiderman titles out. so no, as long as they are good, keep them developing spiderman and other marvel titles imo.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Spider-Man was amazing, so no. It's not a worse game because it's based on a comic book, rather the opposite.

Not as excited for Wolverine, mostly because it would seem to lend itself more to slower beat-em-up-style gameplay, which I'm not really interested in at all. But we'll see.

Top Bottom