• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Crysis 3 was the first true 8th gen graphics?

FeralEcho

And looks nowhere near as good as Crysis 3 so who cares?
I would've taken your opinion as something worthwhile were you to say it just didn't look as good as Crysis 3 but saying it looked "nowhere near" tells me you are either fucking blind or are so full of shit it started coming out in your writting.

Crysis 3 looks amazing but at the time it released it was only incredible looking on PC,on console it still wasn't as impressive as other titles,and soon after countless games were comparable to it or even arguably surpass it in spectacle even if not in tech. Stuff like the following:

Metro Last Light
Driveclub
Arkham Knight
The Order 1886
Battlefield 4
Ryse Son of Rome
Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

They all looked incredible.Saying they looked nowhere near Crysis 3 does a disservice to all these games and their devs.

FFS Arkham Knight looks better than Suicide Squad 10 years later...

FeralEcho

CG from what year? 1999? Sure lol.

I’m sure The Order 1886 looked great. I just couldn’t see it behind all those layers of post-processing. Battlefield 4? Killzone Shadow Fall? You best be trolling.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yeah, you argue in bad faith. Just admit his post ruffled your jimmies and be done with it.
Nah. You just barged in and were wrong. He did throw it into the mix of games that looked ahead of Crysis 3 but you said he didn’t compare it to Crysis 3.
Metro Last Light
Close at times, but suffered from some of the ugliest character models ever.
Driveclub
Maybe. Not sure. It’s a racing game so a bit difficult to compare. Awesome weather effects though.
Arkham Knight
No. Once again, atrocious blocky character models with clothes that looked like they were fused to their bodies and that terrible plastic look, legacy of UE3. This game was UE3.5 if I remember. Great smoke and particle effects on PC though. Too bad they crashed performance. And mind you, it’s not like Crysis 3 has the best character models either but they sure as hell look better than those clay statues.
The Order 1886
No. The copious amount of post-processing, blur, grain, and other abominations didn’t fool me.
Battlefield 4
No.
Ryse Son of Rome
I’d say yes but those tiny constrained environments undermined it.
Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
Dunno. Maybe a better art style. The foliage in Crysis still looks miles ahead. Perhaps TW3 has better materials though.
They all looked incredible.Saying they looked nowhere near Crysis 3 does a disservice to all these games and their devs.
I just said that about The Order 1886.
That says more about Suicide Squad than Arkham Knight.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nah. You just barged in and were wrong. He did throw it into the mix of games that looked ahead of Crysis 3 but you said he didn’t compare it to Crysis 3.
I wasn’t wrong. I showed how you’re being a crybaby because someone praised a game’s visuals. That’s LITERALLY all that happened.

But, remember, you don’t care.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
This you?
It is. Now, tell me, where does he compare The Order to Crysis 3 and does Crysis 3 fail to look pre-rendered?

I notice you conveniently left out the “care” part. Do you care about what he said? If so, why’d you say otherwise?

Last edited:

Gaiff

It is. Now, tell me, where does he compare The Order to Crysis? Does Crysis fail to look pre-rendered?
Me: No game definitively surpassed it until 2016.
Poster A: Arkham Knight came out in 2015
Poster B: And the Order in 2015

Poster B is saying The Order surpassed Crysis 3 as Poster A said Arkham Knight did. I replied that The Order 1886 looked nowhere near as good as Crysis 3. You barged in, saying Poster B made no comparison to Crysis 3 when he did, then proceeded with the personal attacks by calling me a crybaby and saying the post ruffled my feathers. No, I simply completely disagreed with the post.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Me: No game definitively surpassed it until 2016.
Poster A: Arkham Knight came out in 2015
Poster B: And the Order in 2015

Poster B is saying The Order surpassed Crysis 3 as Poster A said Arkham Knight did. I replied that The Order 1886 looked nowhere near as good as Crysis 3. You barged in, saying Poster B made no comparison to Crysis 3 when he did, then proceeded with the personal attacks by calling me a crybaby and saying the post ruffled my feathers. No, I simply completely disagreed with the post.
You didn’t just disagree with the post. You asked who cared and then doubled down on your close minded views with subsequent replies to multiple people.

But, it’s cool. Do you.

Gaiff

You didn’t just disagree with the post. You asked who cared and then doubled down on your close minded views with subsequent replies to multiple people.
Yes, as in who cares about a game that I think looks nowhere near as good as Crysis 3. And multiple people...it was literally just you and FeralEcho who replied to me again and was the one who brought up The Order 1886.
But, it’s cool. Do you.
I sure will. You're getting triggered over nothing. I think The Order 1886 looks nowhere near as good as Crysis 3, then you decided to attack my character over that.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yes, as in who cares about a game that I think looks nowhere near as good as Crysis 3. And multiple people...it was literally just you and FeralEcho who replied to me again and was the one who brought up The Order 1886.

I sure will. You're getting triggered over nothing. I think The Order 1886 looks nowhere near as good as Crysis 3, then you decided to attack my character.
I’m not trigged at all. I love debates. My issue was your approach. “Attacked my character” - while you accused people of trolling for pointing out games that were praised for their visuals at the time. By users and critics.

It’s really simple - you thought Crysis 3 was unmatched. Others disagree.

Last edited:

Vick

For posterity, John made a pretty definitive summary of The Order: 1886 contributions to real-time rendering while detailing what made it a true generational jump.

bbeach123

I would've taken your opinion as something worthwhile were you to say it just didn't look as good as Crysis 3 but saying it looked "nowhere near" tells me you are either fucking blind or are so full of shit it started coming out in your writting.

Crysis 3 looks amazing but at the time it released it was only incredible looking on PC,on console it still wasn't as impressive as other titles,and soon after countless games were comparable to it or even arguably surpass it in spectacle even if not in tech. Stuff like the following:

Metro Last Light
Driveclub
Arkham Knight
The Order 1886
Battlefield 4
Ryse Son of Rome
Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

Killzone was up there too...

Buggy Loop

What is past gen gameplay and how is it a bad thing when we look at the current status of modern games?

I'll take boomer shooters over any TRUHPLUL AAYY shooters any day of the week.

Crysis's armor toggles were incredible. Felt like an unstoppable force when you nailed the systems in those games.

Gaiff

I’m not trigged at all. I love debates. My issue was your approach. “Attacked my character” - while you accused people of trolling for pointing out games that were praised for their visuals at the time. By users and critics.

It’s really simple - you thought Crysis 3 was unmatched. Others disagree.
My approach was I just said it looked nowhere near Crysis 3 and you immediately took issue with that. Come on man.

Anyway, back to the topic. I admit I had forgotten a few games that did come out in 2015 such as The Witcher 3. That said, I still think it wasn’t until 2016 when we had games that we can almost all agreed look better. Battlefield 1, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Quantum Break. Might throw in Uncharted 4 in there too.

I also completely forgot about AC Unity which is a looker still to this day.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
My approach was I just said it looked nowhere near Crysis 3 and you immediately took issue with that. Come on man.

Anyway, back to the topic. I admit I had forgotten a few games that did come out in 2015 such as The Witcher 3. That said, I still think it wasn’t until 2016 when we had games that we can almost all agreed look better. Battlefield 1, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Quantum Break. Might throw in Uncharted 4 in there too.

I also completely forgot about AC Unity which is a looker still to this day.
I mean, you took issue with someone saying a game looked CGI. Chicken came before the egg my man. Like he said, just disagreeing probably wouldn’t have elicited any critical responses to you.

As for what most thought looked better, The Order was often brought up back then, and that’s largely been my point. It wasn’t some throw away game - it was lauded as a generational leap over anything the PS3 had to offer.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I mean, you took issue with someone saying a game looked CGI. Chicken came before the egg my man. Like he said, just disagreeing probably wouldn’t have elicited any critical responses to you.
The CGI part? Nah, didn't really bother me nor did I really pay attention to it. "Looking CGI" doesn't mean much because it's not like CGI is static. CGI movies from 2024 don't look the same as CGI movies from 2010.

Additionally, to look CGI, something needs to seek out the movie aesthetic in the first place. Take a look at Rift Apart. I think we all agree it's the most CGI-looking game out there. Does it mean it looks better Forbidden West or Cyberpunk? Not really. Those games simply don't go for that movie look whereas Rift Apart has that Pixar style nailed down pretty well.

As for The Order, once again, my problem has always been the insane amount of post-processing. I understand it was to have that movie-like appearance. Tons of film grain, chromatic aberration, motion blur, tone mapping, crazy lens flares in some cases. A lot of details gets lost and I found myself not even able to really discern the fine grain elements of the game because they were hidden behind 3 layers of post-processing. Throw in 30fps and those black bars and it was a no for me.

ae213e36b7fde39eab649e639e028b2e.jpg

14281634675_81d3e24c57_w.jpg

There was an archive of someone who had managed to disable a bunch of effects (don't remember how) and he had many pictures but this was from almost 10 years ago and I can't find it. Anyway, this is me. Post-processing is still part of the final image resolve. Some like John from DF love motion blur while I can't stand it.

Last edited:

Vick

I mean, you took issue with someone saying a game looked CGI.
I appreaciate the irony of The Order: 1886, mainly due to PBR, assets and post processing, having visually much more in common with the CGI trailer (of a game the poster regarded as better looking than Crysis 3) than the actual game.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The CGI part? Nah, didn't really bother me nor did I really pay attention to it. "Looking CGI" doesn't mean much because it's not like CGI is static. CGI movies from 2024 don't look the same as CGI movies from 2010.

Additionally, to look CGI, something needs to seek out the movie aesthetic in the first place. Take a look at Rift Apart. I think we all agree it's the most CGI-looking game out there. Does it mean it looks better Forbidden West or Cyberpunk? Not really. Those games simply don't go for that movie look whereas Rift Apart has that Pixar style nailed down pretty well.

As for The Order, once again, my problem has always been the insane amount of post-processing. I understand it was to have that movie-like appearance. Tons of film grain, chromatic aberration, motion blur, tone mapping, crazy lens flares in some cases. A lot of details gets lost and I found myself not even able to really discern the fine grain elements of the game because they were hidden behind 3 layers of post-processing. Throw in 30fps and those black bars and it was a no for me.

ae213e36b7fde39eab649e639e028b2e.jpg

14281634675_81d3e24c57_w.jpg

There was an archive of someone who had managed to disable a bunch of effects (don't remember how) and he had many pictures but this was from almost 10 years ago and I can't find it. Anyway, this is me. Post-processing is still part of the final image resolve. Some like John from DF love motion blur while I can't stand it.
The idea remains the same. You disagree about The Order. We all got that. It was the level you took it to that was the issue.

Guys, I'm playing Crysis 1 Remastered on my Series X, and this game is unbelievable!
I'll play Crysis 2 and then Crysis 3!

Those games are beautiful today!

Damn! I hope Crysis 4 make another generational leap!
When it comes to visually rendering gameplay where it matters instead of cutscenes then Crysis 3 blends right in with the current retail games today in my opinion especially if you push it to almost 200 frames on a high end monitor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom