• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you support Freemium games?

Do you play and support Fremium type of games often (fortnite and apex legneds types of games?)

• Yes! I play them regularly and buy a ton of the content

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • No! I can't stand those type of games and rarely play them

Votes: 63 55.8%
  • I play them sometimes and rarely buy items

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • I play those type of games but never buy content

Votes: 23 20.4%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The worst Freemium game in my opinion, is Asphalt 9.

God gamn its a fun arcade racing game that rarely ever gets made right. They have leader boards, active community, can be played on tons of platforms. The one major draw back in the required money to get better cars and to be competitive. You could in theory play the game for free but it would take you 20 years to ever compete with the top players. The game gets so expensive to play when you reach a certain level.

Hugare

Imagine being mad at a free game

Why should I be bothered by people buying skins in Fortnite? Rocket League? Warzone?

Does it affect gameplay? No? And it means that I'll play for free? So I dont see the problem.

"Back in my day, that shit was free and use to be unlocked with cheat codes".

SNES games were $50, and adjusting to inflation, it would cost close to $100 today. So I think that being able to play some games for free today is the better deal.

Dont worry, singleplayer games arent dead. We have a bunch of AAA games selling +10M lately. Some companies will make GAAS games aiming that money, but they wont abandon other stuff.

And can you blame them? People are voting with their wallets.

Even Ubi/EA are making singleplayer games (Splinter Cell/Dead Space)

Drizzlehell

Banned
No, I don't see any value in the kind of shit that you have to pay for in those games. The closest I ever get to paying a premium fee for cosmetics is by subscribing to ESO Plus every now and then. But at least that gives me access to all the DLC areas and dungeons that aren't part of any of the paid expansions so that's like the main value that I get from it. All of the cosmetic stuff, currency, XP boost, etc. is just incidental bonus that I don't really care about.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Imagine being mad at a free game

Why should I be bothered by people buying skins in Fortnite? Rocket League? Warzone?

Does it affect gameplay? No? And it means that I'll play for free? So I dont see the problem.

"Back in my day, that shit was free and use to be unlocked with cheat codes".

SNES games were $50, and adjusting to inflation, it would cost close to $100 today. So I think that being able to play some games for free today is the better deal.

Dont worry, singleplayer games arent dead. We have a bunch of AAA games selling +10M lately. Some companies will make GAAS games aiming that money, but they wont abandon other stuff.

And can you blame them? People are voting with their wallets.

Even Ubi/EA are making singleplayer games (Splinter Cell/Dead Space)
See thats where you got it all wrong. I am not mad at a free game. I am mad at the model. I rather they make a game where they charge me up front. I would rather pay full price for the game instead of getting nickled and dimed to death. I like my ass raping up front and not a sneaky reach around.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I support these games. But I dont really play them. If gamers out there like playing these games for free or doing MTX, that's their gaming choice.

Hugare

See thats where you got it all wrong. I am not mad at a free game. I am mad at the model. I rather they make a game where they charge me up front. I would rather pay full price for the game instead of getting nickled and dimed to death. I like my ass raping up front and not a sneaky reach around.
But that doesnt work with multiplayer games. They need to be free to have a bigger playerbase, so this system works with them.

You even see succesful games going F2P, like Destiny, Overwatch, Rocket League and etc.

A big franchise (or a game from a big developer like Blizzard) has the name to help boosting sales, but a new game from an unknown developer + unknow franchise needs the word of mouth from the F2P model

Laptop1991

No, option 2 100 percent, these games are just designed around making money, the reason creativity and SP games are suffering now in the big market.

Last edited:

Marchizmo

Does dota count as a freemium? I play it a shitload every year and I want to support my game.

Dytnyk2.jpg

n0razi

I've gotten more entertainment value from Apex Legends the past few years than almost every paid single player game I've played combined soooooo....

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t like to spend my time with freemium games, but I don’t frown upon those who do. I do like how Vampire Survivors was free on mobile because I will happily buy the DLC once that comes out for it. All the freemium titles I tried I spent less than a hour with. They just weren’t for me. I don’t like the gameplay loop enough to keep it installed or grind out hours and hours. Terra Battle 1 & 2 were awesome. I probably spent $30 on the game. Both closed. :( I tried NieR, Valkyrie Profile, the Mana F2P mobile games and I can’t do it. I played League of Legends, Newerth?, and a couple other ones none of them worked for me. The model is interesting, but I still feel like if I pay money I should get more of what I want. Just “playing the game” feels short handed. The developers design these games around the idea of “free to play” and progress feels so minuscule. I bought Destiny 1 & 2 for full price. The only expansion I got was the Taken King. I didn’t get anything after finishing Destiny 2. I don’t have the commitment to keep playing it. Finishing Destiny 2’s SP was enough for me.

I tried a bunch of F2P MMO’s back in 2011 and I just couldn’t stick with them. I bought Guild Wars 2 for full price and now it’s F2P. On one hand I bought a lot of the stuff that went F2P, so my interest is very low for the new F2P. I get this feeling like I’m not playing what I would pay money for. The feeling sucks, so I ignore most freemium games.

Chastten

Banned
Over the past 5 years I've played and enjoyed completely for free quite a few games - Love Live, SINoALICE, Lost Ark, Honkai Impact, Genshin Impact being among my favorites. I easily got a combined 1500+ hours out of them and only spent a few bucks here and there on Genshin. I think I'm at €75 now. So all in all, that's a good deal.

I don't care about 'being competitive' or 'being the best' or whatever though, so that works in my favor. I just enjoy a game until I no longer enjoy it and move on. Best way of life. It also helps that most of my favorite 'traditional' games is cheap Japanese AA stuff and those will continue to be made anyways.

If you're only into (Western) Triple A stuff with fancy graphics, then yeah, you're screwed, because developers have found out you aren't where the money is.

Ozzie666

Can't speak on WoW, but FF14 respects the fuck out of your time & money.

Everquest basically gave everyone the finger with 48-60 people raids that took 4-8 hours, death xp and camp grinds. Raids could take 1-2 days requiring people to camp out and contested non instanced bosses to kill. Dam those Europeans guilds always up early! FF14 and ESO are great for being able to play almost solo through most the game and respect the player's time. Some of the systems they have in place to make the game more accessible are incredible and they are leaders when it comes to that.

The only freemium came I sunk much time into was Rocket League and only because it was free on PSN early on.

Last edited:

Graciaus

I play pokemon go but I made the mistake of getting my partner to play. Now unfortunately I can't quit. Most f2p things I'll try once or twice then move on.

Susurrus

I think there's nothing wrong with them. Ya, there's a lot of stuff out there, but different people like different things so that's fine. They're multiplayer games by nature, so making them free to play increases the user base and keeps the games active. Of course, nobody has to, but if you play a game a bunch, there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying some dumb skin or something once in a while. If you got like 20 hours of entertainment for free and want to pay $5 for a cosmetic item you like, is there really anything wrong with that? I've certainly spent more money on dumber shit.

Unless the game is pay to win. Those can go to hell.

Top Bottom