• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer Games launching bare-bones or Games that launch broken? (Read OP for details)

Which type of games do you prefer (Read OP for details)?

• Total voters
either is fine with me because im not the sucker who buys a game day one only to get burned. I buy the game typically after its complete edition has released or its been patched to high heavens already.

thank you though to those who do because you keep the industry afloat, while at the same time killing it by supporting these practices

Last edited:
I play only single player games, on playstation or PC and... well I see articles about those all the time in the news, but I don't think I ever experienced either! So no Sea of thieves/Anthem/Destiny, etc.

I wonder how you got to 90% of games, and claiming that I missed a lot because reasons, I find that the frustration associated with a broken or incomplete product (I'm not one to complain when a game is short, so long as it's good I'll replay it if I like it).

You don't have to make that choice, I have to keep myself from insulting you now!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You're downplaying how many AAA games, especially retail, have come out, no mater how many games you list I can more than double the number, you won't go higher than 10% of releases, when these types of games already were messed around with the end of last gen, when they became profitable and devs got away with it, a lot of developers, went into that direction during this generations. It's why you can find tons of articles on the state of the industry and complaints about both of these practices across the entire gen.

Then for many people games that released incomplete because of their attachment to the developer may not even realize it. Even if the dev themselves said so or showed actons with content packs that should have been at launch.

This is a major problem that will likely continue into next generation, though Fallout76 may have showed where the consumer limit is.

I'm calling you directly out, if I can easily list 20 games from a given year that launched totally fine, and you claim that's 10% of games, you should be able to list 180 that launched broken or bare-bones. I'll even let you pick the year. Hell, I'll be impressed if you can do "more than double" like you claim.

I'm waiting. Can't wait to see what excuse you come up with. More than likely you're going to list literally any game with DLC now because of this absolute gem:

Even if the dev themselves said so or showed actons with content packs that should have been at launch

That's not an incomplete game. That's optional extra content, which I rarely buy, yet I still manage to play full games.

I'm calling you directly out, if I can easily list 20 games from a given year that launched totally fine, and you claim that's 10% of games, you should be able to list 180 that launched broken or bare-bones. I'll even let you pick the year. Hell, I'll be impressed if you can do "more than double" like you claim.

You didn't easily list 20 games, if you could then you would have easily been able to list 20 games for every year (which is what you implied you were going to do but stopped short)

The issue is you are now arguing emotionally or/and for points instead of on the subject. You can search moby, GS, Faqs, MC, and see that by year, which you can organize them with, you'll find many AAA games, especially retail but the rule applies to digital too, are mostly these type of games (chunk of Nintendo games excluded). You're not actually looking at games you're arguing with nothing, if this response was made after you looked at the game releases since 2013 till now, by year, that I'd find you're argument possibly true, but you didn't you only responded just to respond.

The fact you know a few games that don't met these two caused you to oddly believe that 10% isn't a lot of games, that's still a good amount of games, like I said you're underplaying how many games have actually released.

I'd recommend looking at games lists on MC, which have it by year, it's not all games, some are missing, but it'll give you a pretty clear idea that it's most of the games released. You'll easily see that the few dozens of games you're thinking of are at best 10% of the market. Then come back.

Hudo

I prefer games to be complete like in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.

And I don't buy into the hype. These days my money is kinda lika my vote. I don't want to support this kind of concept so ain't spending money for that.
Perfect answer.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You didn't easily list 20 games, if you could then you would have easily been able to list 20 games for every year (which is what you implied you were going to do but stopped short)

The issue is you are now arguing emotionally or/and for points instead of on the subject. You can search moby, GS, Faqs, MC, and see that by year, which you can organize them with, you'll find many AAA games, especially retail but the rule applies to digital too, are mostly these type of games (chunk of Nintendo games excluded). You're not actually looking at games you're arguing with nothing, if this response was made after you looked at the game releases since 2013 till now, by year, that I'd find you're argument possibly true, but you didn't you only responded just to respond.

The fact you know a few games that don't met these two caused you to oddly believe that 10% isn't a lot of games, that's still a good amount of games, like I said you're underplaying how many games have actually released.

I'd recommend looking at games lists on MC, which have it by year, it's not all games, some are missing, but it'll give you a pretty clear idea that it's most of the games released. You'll easily see that the few dozens of games you're thinking of are at best 10% of the market. Then come back.

Aight, let's go, 2016!

DOOM, Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian, Overwatch, Inside, The Witness, Dishonored 2, WoW Legion, Pokémon Moon, Ratchet & Clank, Overcooked.

Short year that year (because of WoW Legion, of course), but do you know why it was so easy for me to do that? Because I didn't have to pick and choose anything. I didn't have to go to a website, I had to open an excel file and literally just listed the only new games I played that year, hence some notable exceptions. I could've cheated and listed something like Titanfall 2, but I didn't play that until this year (my mistake). Not one of those games was broken/incomplete at launch. Again, am I just magically only playing the 10% of games that are fine, year after year?

You can't disprove me because your argument has absolutely no basis in reality. It's why you've yet to provide any evidence whatsoever other than "dude just go to Metacritic and do all the work yourself!" If your argument is that every year we get a ton of shitty shovelware, then it's no argument at all. Those games that tiny pockets of idiots buy have basically no bearing on the industry and are not representative of it as a whole. And even then, most of those games are just poor. Your entire argument is that 90% of games launch broken or bare-bones. If that's the case, you shouldn't have had any trouble providing actual evidence of that.

I've wasted enough time trying to bring you down to reality, I'm out. You're talking absolute gibberish. At least this one didn't get locked, right? ;)

Aight, let's go, 2016!

DOOM, Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian, Overwatch, Inside, The Witness, Dishonored 2, WoW Legion, Pokémon Moon, Ratchet & Clank, Overcooked.

Short year that year (because of WoW Legion, of course), but do you know why it was so easy for me to do that?

It's not easy for you, you keep proving my point by basically confirming to anyone that brought games since the gen started that most aim for the two models in the poll. You also rejected my suggestion to you before.

You're trying to dumb the argument down by listing a short list of less than 10 games when more than double that was released in the AA market and you KNOW this but think if you list a few games you have an argument against 10%. Anyone on this forum can double your list with the two types of games in the poll.

If it's so easy make a 2013-2018 ( you don't even need to include this year) list of all those AAA games that don't meet the thread categories. The issue is you can't, you don't have and argument, so you're using a few personal games you played, instead of games released in general which is what this thread is about, and deceptively making it seem like not many games released and your list is a significant percentage of what AAA games released that year, but isn't. So at this point you barely even have a point.

You say it's easy but even a list you make of games from 2013-2018 can be MORE than doubled, because the vast majority of AAA games went into that direction, everyone knows it, it's been a major complaint and point of argument for years, you're denying facts, it's a small percentage of the industry that didn't do it this generation. 10% is also still a good number of games but you're trying to downplay it by acting like most devs didn't run after the above models.

It's pointless to deny such a fact, most people already know that those two models have been standard this gen because AAA money. You also constantly list non-AAA games in your lists as well, showing that you're not even trying to have a real discussion and just responding to respond with stubbornness trying to score points.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think of examples such as Destiny 1 and Anthem

One was bare bones but completely functional

The other is a buggy mess....and bare bones. Ok Anthem is a bad example. Ok Destiny 1 and.....Fallout 76?

the funny thing is I got a lot of out both games. I think I can get past a lot of shyt. I really enjoyed my time with Fallout 76, but it was because I played exclusively with a full team of friends and we made our own fun. I was about lvl 99 when I finally ran out of quests and launching nukes became old. The game itself was just one huge bug...you had to find the game in it for yourself.

Destiny was solid gameplay, story lacking, grind fest for materials for upgrades, but God I don't think any game has been able to top the raids in Destiny. I really think 10 years from now, people are gonna look back at Destiny for the masterpiece it was. That from a guy who can't stand playing Destiny right now.

So after careful deliberation I need to say I prefer bare bones over buggy.

Acerac

Banned
I'm one of those fucked up people who enjoys it when games I like get additional support instead of viewing it as a negative.

The way people frame it is strange. I take it most of those who do didn't buy any 16 bit Street Fighter games back in the day.

Silvawuff

I never buy a game at launch, and these problems tend to work out. The game will be cheaper later on and will probably come bundled with whatever DLC it had with updates and broken stuff (hopefully) fixed.

thief183

Fort honor and Sea of thieves are my most played games of the last year, so barebones, but only if all that come after is free and not to fa away.

dottme

None of the option.
I’ll prefer to wait for a complete game and at a really reduced price.

This politic to launch unfinished games actually helps me to save a lot of money.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I wait until there's a game of the year edition and it goes on sale so I can get all of the content at a fraction of the cost. Getting things day one is a colossal waste of money given how the product usually is and the price is quite exorbitant. 20 years ago I was more inclined to get games at launch, but now I don't care about keeping up with some sort of zeitgeist and am perfectly content to get stuff at my own pace. Being a patient gamer is so much better.

AV

incessant gibberish

Can you stop moving your goalposts for long enough to actually come up with a shred of proof to back up your bullshit or are we done here?

Anyone on this forum can double your list with the two types of games in the poll.

Stop trying to wriggle out of this and put your money where your mouth is.

Top Bottom