• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider this time period a gaming drought?

Didnt the "greatest game of all time" come out like a few weeks ago.
Hasnt a legend returned to form in Gran Turismo 7.
Just looking at the last few:
Skywalker Saga
Triangle Strategy
MLB 22
Shredders
Stranger of Paradise
The Ascent - PS5 players buy this game its so worth it.
Kirby
Ghostwire Tokyo

Unless a drought is defined by a flood of games....then nah this aint no drought.

Mostly referring from mid march onwards…there hasn’t really been any notable releases

And yes, I and most people are playing our backlogs. Thats obvious

slade

I've been playing Elden Ring for the past two months. Still have to go through Horizon and Stranger of Paradise. I also ended up buying Demon's Souls because of how much I liked Elden Ring. Not to mention games from last year like Kena and Ratchet I never got to.

I'm good for quite a while.

From a game release point of view it's a bit of a drought, but my backlog is nearing 150 games at this point, so I'm still bogged down with games to play.

Naked Lunch

Halo Infinite. Gran Turismo 7. Elden Ring.
What else do you really need?
I could care less about anything else for a good long while.

ksdixon

I feel like its time to shit or get off the pot, with rumors. I feel like ive been hearing about SH Remake/Sony buying Konami('s IP) since mid last gen, when RE2make was still a twinkle in people's hopes. I'd kinda like some new talking points and for Sony to show their hand a little and move onto newer games afterwards.

Tlou MP is another one. I mean, c'mon already!

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People who tend to only care about first party games might see a draught, but there's just too much new games and too less time.stoo looking for only the bog blockbusters.

Astral Dog

Yes!
Nope
Maybe

you see i don't lack games to play, but we are in a time i call Nintendo withdrawal,slowly the fanboys start getting more and more rabious, sweating almost double per day , these days insiders start to leak random shit in hopes to keep the horde in check while Nintendo stays silent except for talking about their casual games, if lucky they tweet an old meme or two on weekends everyone pretends to laugh at but at that point some poor souls start to break, then it gets ugly

edit: sorry guys seems this sounded funnier in my head than it really is 😅

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

Absolutely, I bought a PS5 exactly a year ago and the only next-gen looking games I have played over the past year have been HFW and R&C-RA everything else is just old ports/ahem excuse me... Directors cut/ Definitive edition..... I don't care for souls games and COD is stale as fuck, 2042 was a cash grab Disaster and GT7 is an unfinished attempted cash grab but they got caught by the loyal fanbase and media and are now trying to save face by fixing it, everything else is unmemorable.... boring and short or either all three.

Last edited:
I consider it a gift from the gaming gods and an opportunity to catch up on the metric ton of releases over the past couple of months. Having plat'd Elden Ring a few weeks ago I started and finished GTAV PS5. From there I jumped back into Cyberpunk PS5 which I'd started before Elden Ring dropped, finished the story, doing all the side content, close to the plat which I may leave until the expansion releases.

Picked up Nobody Saves The World day 1, clocked a good 8 hours so far. Need to get back to Infernax too. Finally bought Horizon so that's next on the list and then I still need to pick up GT7, Wonderlands and Ghostwire, will pick up Salt & Sacrifice in May, I don't need any more games until September 👌

Jaybe

Gaming as a whole, no. Some big releases have came out Q1. For me, yeah, I’d say I wish there was something new that came out in 2022 that was exciting to me (not into From games, no PS5 yet). I’m mainly on my XSX and XGS hasn’t released anything in 2022 and nothing dated until Starfield though Deathloop should hit September. Still a long way off. I’m rolling through Mass Effect LE, and may tackle Batman Arkham Knight following, so I’m coping for now.

Laptop1991

Yes i do personally, i haven't bought a new game for over a year, since cyberpunk which i got cheap, and after then only the skyrim anniversary update for a 10 year old game, i would of got the GTA def edition except it was remade poorly,

So for me it is a drought as far as the new games are concerned, they are not my type of games, hopefully Saints Row and more importantly Starfield will change that, and it will get better with releases like Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2 and other games in the future.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
For me personally, yes. I‘ve only bought Horizon and Elden Ring this year. Horizon was quite a disappointment to me and because of it‘s length I‘ve put Elder Ring aside for the moment. The only two upcoming games of interest to me this year are Hogwarts and Starfield - and both of those are also going to be huge time sinks.

So yeah, huge drought for me. I still love gaming but the kind of games that are made right now just don‘t into my life any more.

Drought for news and headlines but not games. I have a backlog that stretches to my psvr games. Just waiting to see if they'll be backwards compatible on the new PSVR headset before I buy more.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes absolutely. Despite what everyone is saying hfw and er is not a lot of games…. Especially that I am not a horizon fan.
Compare to 2007 or 2011 and it was crazy. Now we get 2 games in first half a year and reviews say it’s packed wtf

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Especially that I am not a horizon fan.
I'm also not Horizon fan at all but I played good amount of games this year and I still have MHRise Sunbreak Expansion, AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES - nirvanA Initiative, Soul Hackers 2, Xenoblade 3 and Mario + Rabbits 2 look forward to.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons why this industry/hobby is treated so badly in terms of preservation. You'd rarely, if ever, hear film lovers or book readers complain about a drought of content. Theaters and libraries can go for a few months without anything new and people are absolutely fine with it. We see potentially one month without AAA games(after 3-4 games filled with tons of content literally just came out) and we complain.

RafterXL

Yes absolutely. Despite what everyone is saying hfw and er is not a lot of games…. Especially that I am not a horizon fan.
Compare to 2007 or 2011 and it was crazy. Now we get 2 games in first half a year and reviews say it’s packed wtf
The only people who have gaming droughts are people with extremely narrow tastes in games. The entire fact you said we've only had 2 games in the first half of this year shows it's a you problem, not a gaming one.

There have been numerous good games this year, either you aren't looking or you need to broaden your horizon.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The only people who have gaming droughts are people with extremely narrow tastes in games. The entire fact you said we've only had 2 games in the first half of this year shows it's a you problem, not a gaming one.

There have been numerous good games this year, either you aren't looking or you need to broaden your horizon.
What?
I just finish games I want upon release. I don't play every crap, true. But I play games my whole life... so of course not everything appeals to me

Bramble

No. I am drowning in games (Horizon, Sifu, Cyberpunk 2077 next gen, GTA5, Dying Light 2, on top of my already huge backlog) and Sony has been on fire with news this year.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have an enormous backlog. So I'm fine

Or maybe they have been conditioned to buy and play only 1st party console exclusives and only own 1 console.

This year so far I completed God of War, Monster Hunter Rise and some Halo games in MCC and more on Steam

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
For the first time in years I'm having an actual backlog of must plays so to me it's quite the opposite.

depends on what systems you have option wise. I've found myself playing the same games for the past few years now Dirt Rally 2 the modern Doom games, Pinball games, GTA Online, Forza, and more recently that new YuGiOh game that came out a few months back.

Griffon

Yes, news have been very slow for months now.

Devs are definitely keeping their big announcements for June.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Well Elden Ring and GT7 just released. However I still haven't been blown away yet by next gen visuals. We need something new and mind blowing.

Klik

Yeah.. I honestly think we still haven't seen true "next gen game" even though games like Returnal, Ratchet are great. I also still think graphics will be much better in few years (if they don't focus of getting native 4k that much). Graphical fidelity is much more important than resolution

Duchess

Far too many games. I've even got some that I bought a number of weeks ago that I've installed and not played..!

I've got the same problem with Kindle books, and have actually banned myself from buying any more, because it's starting to get stupid now (30+ unread novels).

Topher

Gold Member
Elden Ring. Nuff' said.

Elden Ring: Before and After

tumbleweed GIF
Climate Change GIF by GIPHY News

Haggard

Banned
I played Horizon and Elden Ring this year.....aside from (hopefully) GoW there is nothing I´m even remotely interested interested in for the whole rest of the year....
For me personally it`s a drought.

Raven117

Now? Absolutely not.

Destiny Expansion, Horizon, GT7, Elden Ring will keep me busy through early summer. Plus a few other games as well like Triangle Strategy, Weird West, Crusader Kings (two of which on Game Pass)....So yeah, all that considered, I'm probably full until Fall give or take.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
We had Elden Ring, Horizon FW Tiny Tina Wonderlands, GT7 and WWE most recently. I think that Elden Ring sucked up all the oxygen in the room and comparatively speaking yea this would feel like a drought of sorts.

I find myself playing games that don't have an ending more often these days. GAAS I guess. Valorant, Star Citizen and Tiny Tina's is holding me over as well older games I didn't fully dive into. I'm learning Slay the Spire, finishing up Nioh 2 here and there getting back into Apex and PUBG. I dunno I'm generally happy with what I have and there's plenty more I just haven't touched due to work and other time constraints.

In my view it's more like a mediocre buffet and though there's tons of food...not really a whole lot I want to eat.

As far as news goes...yea that's where the drought has been, The most recent stories is Xbox's supposed upgrade to the Series X and Sony's Spartacus reveal. Has there been anything else going on really?

Last edited:
Top Bottom