• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Avatar Land Shows Why It's So Hard to Keep Epcot Futuristic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Sure, the timing of an Avatar theme park exhibit in 2016 is unquestionably terrible... if the movie didn't have several sequels slated for the next few years. It does though, so the worst you can say about Avatar Land is it's a gamble. Which any big new theme park project would be.

The idea of the park is fine given that the attractions are decent. The big problem is merchandising and toys. I suppose that could change with the sequels, but kids gave approximately zero shits about Avatar 1.

The HP sections in Universal will never be out of date. I have season passes and it's insane how packed they still are to the same levels they were when they first released. Fans of it are hungry for more no matter how often they go.

Eh, fans are hungry for it, sure, and the whole place looks amazing. But the rides already feel out of date, for the most part, and their whole approach to spells could use a shot in the arm. They will need to continuously develop those parks to keep them from feeling out of date, just like any other theme park.

mjc

Eh, fans are hungry for it, sure, and the whole place looks amazing. But the rides already feel out of date, for the most part, and their whole approach to spells could use a shot in the arm. They will need to continuously develop those parks to keep them from feeling out of date, just like any other theme park.

Good points, I wonder if they're looking to update things with Fantastic Beasts elements?

muteki

EPCOT in its original incarnation was, in many ways, more futuristic and forward-thinking than the Epcot of 2016.

During the 90s they started appealing to popular contemporary culture more and in the process started dating itself. Couple of decades of stagnation after that and here we are.

I'll admit the giant SEGA section of "Innoventions" where I could play Japanese Dreamcast for free before the NA release was pretty damn cool though.

Senoculum

Erm, Pandora is the proper name, and it's in Animal kingdom.... Enough with the cynicism already. The next Avatar movie is gonna break some records and gonna rack up the awards. The theme park will totally outlive the next 3 movies that are already planned for the next decade of our lives.

strafer

Disney's Avatar Land Shows Why It's So Hard to Keep Epcot Futuristic

ip2csjba9nxuvotdrzxj.jpg

Of course James Cameron is absent, why isn't he there? Shouldn't the creator be there?

border

Sure, the timing of an Avatar theme park exhibit in 2016 is unquestionably terrible... if the movie didn't have several sequels slated for the next few years. It does though, so the worst you can say about Avatar Land is it's a gamble. Which any big new theme park project would be.

It's a much bigger gamble because Avatar hasn't really proved itself to be an enduring cultural force in the same way that Star Wars, Marvel, and Harry Potter had when they became theme park attractions.

When they licensed Avatar, Disney probably did not suspect that 20th Century Fox would let the property decay and languish like it has. Nor did they suspect that James Cameron would take the better part of a decade to hash out a sequel. Until Avatar 2 lands this attraction is probably going to be burning money, but unfortunately nobody involved with Avatar 2 seems to be interested in getting the ball rolling.

I mean, tomorrow Cameron could announce that the Avatar followups will actually be two trilogies with releases beginning in 2020 and nobody would be surprised.

Damn that breaking ground picture is pretty creepy.

Avatar may not recapture the "Magic" it once had, big time gamble by Disney.

At least we'll have Nintendo World at Universal in the future. :)

RoyalFool

Banned
They already had a good idea for an expansion with the Beastly Kingdom, the part of Animal Kingdom that got cancelled due to budget cuts. It's why they have a fucking dragon on most of the posters/bins/signs around the place.

I don't think Avatar is a terrible idea, I think like the Twilight Zone - the setting itself is pretty decent and it will stand-up quite well against the test of time regardless of the franchise itself.

Devoting an entire section of a theme park to Avatar was a stupid decision right from the go, because it was blatantly obvious that it's popularity was due to it being the first big 3D film. The actual film itself was nothing special. So even at the time it was obvious that it wouldn't remain popular/it's sequels wouldn't be as popular.

jett

D-Member
The sequels taking so long to come out just fucked up this shit.

I do wonder exactly what Avatar Land is going to look like and what you're going to do there.

I'm not sure I understand the correlation the author is trying to make between Avatar and Epcot though.

Meanwhile, Universal opened a Skull Island attraction last July that ties pretty well with the upcoming movie, it's technologically pretty advanced (and cool) and the movie isn't even out yet.

Well to be fair, it's themed to Peter Jackson's King Kong and the new Skull Island movie has nothing to do with Universal anymore. Also, they probably should have done a Jurassic World themed Jurassic Park expansion in that lot, but ah well..

mjc

Gaf tells me there's huge demand for a sequel and that it'll do $2 billion, though

The Avatar name has endless amounts of goodwill from movie goers. It just has to come up with another popular story to ape and reskin to make those $2 billion.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Well to be fair, it's themed to Peter Jackson's King Kong and the new Skull Island movie has nothing to do with Universal anymore. Also, they probably should have done a Jurassic World themed Jurassic Park expansion in that lot, but ah well..

There are rumours abound of an expansion to Jurassic Park at IoA. Long overdue, imo.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It still wouldn't surprise me if we never get a real Avatar sequel at all.

It's been delayed a bajillion times. Now there's three sequels? But nothing really seems definitive, even now. And Cameron has shown he doesn't mind just ignoring an IP or a movie for years and years. And, I hate to say it, but Jim isn't necessarily young - he's 62. Not saying the man is on his death bed... But I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar sequels get pushed back another few years and are eventually helmed by someone-not-James-Cameron.

jett

D-Member
If only Disney had a sci-fi fantasy franchise with proven staying power. Hmmmm...

Well they didn't at the time they signed the deal to make this thing.

It's been delayed a bajillion times. Now there's three sequels? But nothing really seems definitive, even now. And Cameron has shown he doesn't mind just ignoring an IP or a movie for years and years. And, I hate to say it, but Jim isn't necessarily young - he's 62. Not saying the man is on his death bed... But I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar sequels get pushed back another few years and are eventually helmed by someone-not-James-Cameron.

Four actually!

And not a single second has been filmed yet, lol.

Tobor

Well they didn't at the time they signed the deal to make this thing.

It's not too late to salvage this mess. Close the Avatar shit down and convert it into Endor or something. Something people will actually recognize. :p

nekkid

They're all being filmed at the same time, starting in January, so hopefully he won't have keeled over before then.

fixedpoint

Epcot hasn't been worth a damn since about 1994. The gradual removable of all the noteworthy attractions has left the park a withered husk of its former self.

Super depressing, really.
That's part of the charm. If I lived anywhere nearby I'd buy a season pass just to eat in Mexico, ride The Land and Spaceship Earth.

What? I went on both Harry Potter rides for the first time in October, and they were some of the best rides I've ever been on, period.

Opinions! I was also there in October. I didn't think any of the HP rides were very good. Do you mean Florida or California? In Florida there are more than two rides, not sure how many there are in CA.

But just talking about the Hogwarts ride as an example, the whole thing is poorly thought out and, as a big Potter fan, a wasted opportunity. There are much better things they could be doing with that space than a bleh line experience and an uncomfortable 4D ride. I don't know how you could call the animatronic sections of that ride anything BUT dated.

Nobody in my family was impressed by the HP rides, except the Hippogriff coaster which was just the right speed for my 9 year old but featuring very few thematic elements. We were impressed by just about everything else, however.

lunchtoast

Why try to keep up with the future? Go full-out retro-futuristic.

Amy Wong: [at a nightclub] Everything is so retro.
Fry: Why is everyone wearing those rings?
Amy Wong: Guh! Because nobody wears them anymore. Rings are stupid.
Fry: I think they're cool.
Amy Wong: Shh! Don't let anyone hear you.
Guy: Hey, did that guy just say that rings are cool?
Amy Wong: No, he said they're stupid.
Guy: Cool!

nekkid

Epcot hasn't been worth a damn since about 1994. The gradual removable of all the noteworthy attractions has left the park a withered husk of its former self.

Super depressing, really.

The race track ride was pretty great. Was disappointed it was closed when I visited again. That was a couple of years ago now, has it reopened?

Grym

I do wonder exactly what Avatar Land is going to look like and what you're going to do there.

Floating_mountains_construction,_Pandora_%E2%80%93_The_World_of_Avatar.jpg

There will be a River Journey canoe ride and a flying with a Banshee ride.

Concepts:

770897c6c7a45798b28e5cffe6f3091d.jpg

Trying to do this on mobile is a pain in the ass. Ugh.

The race track ride was pretty great. Was disappointed it was closed when I visited again. That was a couple of years ago now, has it reopened?

The test track? That was open when I was there last month. That is a pretty cool ride. My kid fucking loved it.

Edit: to that poster's point, we found plenty to do in Epcot. We had a great day there and were exhausted by the end.

I don't think Disney would've agreed to a whole land had they known the trajectory the IP had taken, but not sure why people are acting like it's a sure thing that the follow ups will bomb. The park and movies will feed each other's success to some extent and it'll be fine.

Most importantly (from the parks perspective) if they pull off what they promised in terms of design and immersiveness of the land, then it really doesn't matter if theres never another movie made and noone is invested in the IP. The design, scale and unique atmosphere would be impressive even without knowing or caring about the movie. It might not be the sole draw to visit Disney World the way Harry Potter is for some visiting Universal (and it's probably fair to say that Disney was hoping Avatar would be just fhat after missing the boat on getting Harry Potter) but it'll still be a premium experience addition to a park that arguably needed more in it.

Joeytj

Banned
That's a weird article.

Avatar's issue is that they didn't quickly turn Avatar into a traditional franchise. People have stopped caring because they didn't keep making more Avatars like they did with say, Harry Potter.

What the fuck does that have to do with Epcot Center or keeping its future musings properly futuristic? One is a failure of Disney or whoever is developing future Avatar films; the other is simply about the challenges of predicting the future. The former is resolved by what should be a series of Avatar films (provided anyone still cares). The later is resolved by getting scientists and engineers takes on what they expect the world to be like in 25 years, then letting artists have at it, finally turning their vision into your future attractions.

Remind me what one has to do with the other? I may have missed it. I'm a bit tired.

Also, I love Epcot Center so fuck ya'll that don't like it.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The article segways too much from "Avatar isn't popular anymore" to "Epcot is lame".

I agree that Avatar isn't as popular as everybody thought it would be 6 or 7 years ago, but the theme park hasn't been in planning that long either. So yeah, it's two different things and the writer thought he could make an article out of both issues.

Avatar land looks dope and I reckon it will be far better and more interesting in its execution than the Star Wars Expansion.

I've never seen Avatar. I'm hyped just because I think the park experience will be incredible.

There are dozens of us!

Disney just doesn't know what to do with EPCOT as they don't have the team to do what the concept deserves, nor the sponsorship or management to allow it to happen, and has been very hesitant to pull the trigger on renovating it into something new. I will miss it badly if they change it drastically in concept but I'm glad they're actually doing something with it than dragging their feet for another decade.

I have no doubts that it'll look amazing and be interesting, but regardless of whether Avatar 2-5 (how many will there never be?) do well, it's just not a property that's as marketable as say Star Wars or Disney properties. The best Disney can hope it does is to be Indiana Jones level of marketability; sure you can sell some hats and whips, but it's not the powerhouse franchise in terms of products.

Epcot's future world or whatever it's called needs some new life breathed into it. I love the concept and some of the attractions still there (Spaceship Earth), but they're really wasting a lot of its potential. There's a whole section that is a ghost town: Ellen's energy adventure sees absolutely no one and Wonders of Life has sat empty for nearly a decade. Not to mention that Journey Into Imagination is a terrible shell of its original design and the Captain E.O theater is now just being used to preview dumb movies.

Avatar Land is gonna be the California Adventure of Disney World, mark my words.

I've been wrong with every prediction I've made this year save BvS, just fyi.

Quonny

Epcot should just be the most fun children's science museum in the world, full of interactive exhibits and education loaded with Disney characters.

border

Nobody in my family was impressed by the HP rides, except the Hippogriff coaster which was just the right speed for my 9 year old but featuring very few thematic elements. We were impressed by just about everything else, however.

I don't know how you can not be impressed by Harry Potter and The Forbidden Journey, at least the first time through. You get the very real sense of flying around on a broomstick, which is I think a central fantasy of the world. How can a kid not have fun with that, at least?

Avatar Land is gonna be the California Adventure of Disney World, mark my words.

I've been wrong with every prediction I've made this year save BvS, just fyi.

Doesn't really translate. Avatarland is a new section of an already existing park. DCA was a whole new park. A better comparison would be Avatarland to Cars Land in DCA.

Regardless of how Avatarland goes, Animal Kingdom is still a great and unique park that oozes Disney style and level to detail.

Cameron has been actively working on them for years. Cameron is notorious for taking the time to craft his movies properly. You don't get record-breaking audience pleasers by rushing into production to shit out a sequel to capitalise on the first film's success. And now he's prepping to shoot 4 films simultaneously. That shit takes a lot of preproduction work and prep.

Or would you guys prefer another Hobbit trilogy scenario where the director is there not knowing what the fuck to do next, but shooting something for the fuck of it because every day is costing them millions of dollars?

nekkid

Is filming really about to start? I didn't even think they had the cast nailed down yet.

Nope, you're possibly right, looks like I was working to old information.

The test track? That was open when I was there last month. That is a pretty cool ride. My kid fucking loved it.

Yep, that's the one. Surprised they haven't rebranded it with Cars, though. That would draw big crowds. Although I guess a big part of it is the real-life automotive production - is it still sponsored by GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom