• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disneyland and Disney World "Galaxy's Edge" Star Wars Land revealed

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Disney may suck at making Star Wars movies, but one thing they're unsurpassed in is commercialization and merchandising of franchises you recognize! Welcome to Galaxy's Edge. It's opening summer 2019 in Anaheim and fall 2019 in Orlando.

CSBN1xm.jpg

exmPoXw.jpg

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-galaxys-edge-the-77-most-fascinating-things-1832883014
https://io9.gizmodo.com/weve-been-to-star-wars-galaxys-edge-and-life-will-never-1832878349

Of utmost importance, everything in the park is """canon""":

6. The rides tell canon stories: If everything happening on Batuu is canon, so it also goes for the rides. The events of the attractions are both canon—especially Rise of the Resistance, which has the actual actors in it. (Purely speculative but, the ride may suggest there’s a sizable time jump before Episode IX, since it likely represents a battle between the Resistance and First Order after The Last Jedi.)

Now that she's spent the requisite 15 minutes building her custom lightsaber, this little girl looks more than ready to defeat Kylo Ren!

27. Make your own custom lightsaber: We detailed this a bit in the previous article, but Savi’s Workshop – Handbuilt Lightsabers is a special stand where park visitors can build their own lightsabers. They’ll choose one of four disciplines: Power and Justice, Power and Control, Elemental and Nature, or Protection and Defense. Then you’ll choose your kyber crystal. And, based on those two choices, you’ll get a specific set of 10 lightsaber pieces that can be combined in any way, resulting in your very own custom lightsaber. Logistics have not yet been settled on but this may, in fact, be a reservation experience since only 14 people at a time can do it and it takes around 15 minutes total.

O7NJolm.jpg

Disney's Star Wars is firmly anti gun violence, of course, so no blasters will be for sale in the parks:

29. No blasters: Though blasters are a large part of the Star Wars franchise and are included in many attractions (Dok-Ondar has an impressive collection, as one example), as per Disney policy, no guns are for sale in the park, and that goes for Batuu as well.

sHBcK8E.jpg

Of course, there's an app, so you can stare at your phone...but not too much:

52. The app is basically a third ride: If you aren’t riding on one of the two main attractions, Disney hopes you will be using its Play Disney Parks app to have unique time in the park. From the lines to the stores, walkways, and more, the app unlocks new experiences at every turn. The whole thing was built and wired to be interactive from day one.

55. Keep your head up: Disney doesn’t want a bunch of people just walking around with their heads in their phones. So all of the jobs in the app require you to look around. You’ll be exploring, searching, and then finally using the phone to complete things such as translating text, scanning crates, and more.

Canon?!!? I'd better download it!

58. Everything in the app is also canon: You’re on Batuu, which exists in the Star Wars universe. So any events that happen in your app are actually happening in Star Wars and could, hypothetically, be referenced in other works.

Theme parks have operant conditioning grinding schemes now, too!

59. Build your rep over multiple trips: As you complete more jobs and tasks in the app, those will save to your app profile. So, the more times you come back to Galaxy’s Edge, the more things you can build up and have to use in other ways in the park. (This sounds vague, we know, but Disney was keeping much of this a secret.)

...I'll be in the cantina.

jda568L.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
meh. i went to Star Tours in the early 90s and had a blast. that life size AT-AT was a thing of beauty. i have my memories, those will do.

i've contemplated going a few times as an adult but Disneyland is way too expensive. it costs hundreds of dollars for just a day or two, not even taking travel expenses into account. we are talking spending a minimum of $100 a day just walking through the gates, forget about purchasing any pricey merch, or buying lunch, or bottles of water.

this will do quite well for the company of course. making money off SW is like shooting whales in a barrel.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This shits going to make so much bank it’s not even funny.

I’ve already said that I’m taking the wife and daughter to it once it opens. I’m a huge Star Wars nerd, like hell im missing out on this.

kunonabi

Making all this stuff canon is kind of a turn off to be honest. The no blaster thing is also rich but whatever. I would have been all over a SW theme park prior to Disney pissing all over it.

*wonders where Anaheim, Germany is

*disappointed to learn Anaheim is not a German city

*won't be going to visit any time soon

JimiNutz

Banned
While I'm not a fan of the direction that the franchise has gone under Disney, there's no denying that the park looks awesome. Am I reading that there are only two rides though? Hopefully they plan to add more.

Making all this stuff canon is kind of a turn off to be honest. The no blaster thing is also rich but whatever. I would have been all over a SW theme park prior to Disney pissing all over it.

I could have swore I saw toy guns in the Pirates of the Caribbean gift shop during a visit to Magic Kingdom in 2012, unless this is a pretty new policy.

It's stupid as hell to include blasters with this type of policy, I'm sure pretty laser guns are not real, therefore it's not really a toy "gun" is it? Not outside of the most absurdly literal sense anyway, modern political correctness, man.....

Anyway, I wonder how this is going to change the atmosphere of the rest of the park, being able to go straight from 1940s era Los Angeles to.... the Star Wars galaxy, is going to be kinda weird.

I also wonder what the view you'll see from Tower of Terror will be.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Am I reading that there are only two rides though?

ah but "the experiences" of being marketed to in a themed area. from what i hear there are shops, restaurants, and the parts where you wait in line for hours will have themed displays, etc. billed here as "experiences". not sure how immersive they will be when crammed with tourists standing around with screaming kids.

all the clean promotional paintings we've seen aren't actual photos of the thing. the harsh reality will be pretty different, filled with the usual minimum wage drones corralling hoards of people into the appropriate lines. but they'll be wearing branded SW sweater vests instead of whatever company polos they usually wear.

Last edited:

MoFuzz

Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm looking forward to the tit milking station where I can squeeze and consume green, pasteurized dairy from a sea moose; The preferred drink of disgraced heroes across the cosmos. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Overall the place looks really fun, gonna try to go sometime this fall maybe.

$200 to build my own lightsaber tho........ Disney plz.

4180bb5252d59d8ee2ece253ee07d205.png

I just can’t bring myself to care about pretty much anything Star Wars anymore. It will be years before this will be without mass crowds and long waits. I don’t have passes anymore but it was the same with Avatar and I still never got to go on the main ride for that. Plus they just raised prices on the season passes again. I’m a big theme park guy but I’m just not feeling this one. I may sign back up with universal to check out some of their new stuff.

And then to base this on the new trilogy is a double whammy for me.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
so... they are charging $11 for a plastic spork lol

i thought they were metal not plastic

the guy in that video is wrong. They never were free. They just got stolen which took them away from everybody.

I’m going in May and while I know that place is mega expensive, I’m super excited to go to the new rise of resistance ride, and build my $200 lighsaber

I’m part of the problem.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so it turns out that it was Kathleen Kennedy's idea to make it based on the sequel trilogy after all. they were working on Cantina and Cloud City themed areas when the decision to change direction was passed down.

We had just purchased Lucasfilm, and it started to become the talk about, okay, if you’re going to bring (Star Wars) to life, where are we going to do that?
And (Disney’s Hollywood) Studios ended up being the place. Because that’s where A, it seemed to fit the best and it was the park that needed the update the most, to replace some of the experiences.
So, we worked on that project for a couple of years. There were artists looking at layouts of the park. You just get a big aerial view and you get a big Magic Marker and you start saying “What if THIS was here?” or “What if THAT was there?”
So you start blocking off these big chunks of space, and that kinda drills all the way down, and you keep going until you get to the attraction level and what the offerings are.
And so we did it for a couple of years, and we had the Epic Theater, you know the Indiana Jones theater, that was going to be the heart of Star Wars Land. That was going to go away and we were going to plug it right in there.
The Mos Eisley Cantina was going to be right across from Star Tours.
We had all kinds of great concepts with that.
We’d gotten WAY down the path on our drawings, but we hadn’t gotten into architectural drawings or anything.
And then we got a call one day.
They said “We got some news for you all.” And the Imagineering guys, they’ve heard this line many, many times during their careers. But I had never been through this.
They said “Well, yesterday Bob Iger met with Kathleen Kennedy, who a lot of people may know is sort of George Lucas’ protege, and headed up Lucasfilm, And they had a conversation, a meeting, and Kathleen Kennedy, her point of view was there are way more Disney Star Wars stories ahead of us than behind us. So we really should think about, do we want to build a Tatooine and build what all of the fiftysomethings remember Star Wars as, or do we want to build something else which is going to appeal to all the upcoming generations who are going to know the new stories.”
And that day Tatooine was killed at the Studios.
And all those concepts were put on a shelf. I’m sure they’re sitting in a vault, and I’m sure they’re going to be shown someday about what that land would’ve looked like, and what the attractions were going to be.
The Imagineering team… we got off the phone and I was like “Can you guys believe this?” and they said “This is terrible, we’ve been working on this…”
I said “What’s next?” and they said “Well, we get on a call tomorrow and start over.”
I said “That’s it?” They said “Go out tonight, go have a few beers, cry in your drink, come back tomorrow, and we’re starting again.”
They had been through this before. They know that until it’s signed, and until you start breaking ground, that none of these projects are guaranteed.
They came back the next day and acted just as excited as they were two years earlier. I was really impressed by their optimism. And they dug into it, and that’s what you see today.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
So we really should think about, do we want to build a Tatooine and build what all of the fiftysomethings remember Star Wars as, or do we want to build something else which is going to appeal to all the upcoming generations who are going to know the new stories.”

This woman is so retarded it hurts. Respecting and earning bank off of approved classics? Fuck it throw it in the garbage and write some new stuff.

They could have so easily went with the original plans, and then added on to or replaced things as their new woke garbage picked up steam (lol)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the Tatooine stuff is funny because they actually have the planet in the ST after all.
This woman is so retarded it hurts. Respecting and earning bank off of approved classics? Fuck it throw it in the garbage and write some new stuff.
yes it's a good thing they ditched Tatooine and invented that new planet, Jakku, which is also a desert planet, with wandering robots, where the main hero is from, and also where the Millennium Falcon is parked.

such originality, yes, it's good they ditched the OT to do... a slightly shittier version of the OT.

the ironic thing is that Tatooine is in the ST after all (which now features 3 different desert planets - fun!) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Making a lightsaber would be dope. I wonder what colors you can choose from for the crystals?

Blue, red, green, purple, yellow when you build your lightsaber you can certainly buy white and yellow after. However if you keep buying red kyber crystals from "Dok Ondar's Den of Antiquities" at $15 each you might get lucky and get the black crystal.

They can also "unlock secrets within the Jedi and Sith holocrons" at $50-60. Which again is random but a lot of (disappointed) people get Obi-Wan if they pick blue in the build your own lightsaber workshop.

Karmic Raze

Blue, red, green, purple, yellow when you build your lightsaber you can certainly buy white and yellow after. However if you keep buying red kyber crystals from "Dok Ondar's Den of Antiquities" at $15 each you might get lucky and get the black crystal.

They can also "unlock secrets within the Jedi and Sith holocrons" at $50-60. Which again is random but a lot of (disappointed) people get Obi-Wan if they pick blue in the build your own lightsaber workshop.

That would be so awesome to get the black crystal.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Or you can just buy an nfc writer and make them what you want for like $30ish

I was going to go in May and let my daughter build my lightsaber as a surprise but obviously because of the Virus shit I’m spending that time at home now.

Will go in September maybe...

Karmic Raze

Or you can just buy an nfc writer and make them what you want for like $30ish

I was going to go in May and let my daughter build my lightsaber as a surprise but obviously because of the Virus shit I’m spending that time at home now.

Will go in September maybe...

Let your daughter build your lightsaber? Are you handicapped or just lazy?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Let your daughter build your lightsaber? Are you handicapped or just lazy?

Being that I can’t tell if you are joking or not I’m going to take it at face value and give a parenting tip here. Kids from about 4 - 10 love to feel like they have control of many different situations.

Thus, even though I could do it by myself and my 10 year old couldn’t give two shits about Star Wars, The idea that she will design a hilt from 4 different sets of parts and pick a crystal color will be satisfying to them as she had a part in making something that I really want.

This also works for birthday dinners where they pick desserts / main meals too. Hell I’ve let her pick some clothes out for me before and she gets excited that I am wearing the items she picked out. This concept can’t be that foreign, so please say I just wasted my time for no reason and that comment was a /s comment.

Top Bottom