• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Tells Movie Theaters It's Over - Mulan Going to Disney+ For $30 in the US

llien

What's the issue with prime? Seems perfectly fine to me, especially given how insanely cheap it is.
Yeah their originals are lacking a bit right now, but once LOTR and Wheel of time hits they be zooming.
Terrible UI and dumbfuck handling of languages/resolutions.
Netflix wipes the floor with it while drunk.

Oh, and I've sold my soul to Bezos have prime, just not for video streaming reasons.

llien

So you don't care about these students who pay their tuition working in the parks in the summer? Or the kids working in theaters? Or the local theater owners?
How would me buying overpriced digital goods help them?
Tuition is free where I live.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
No free streaming option with the sub. And no $5 rental stream either.

If you want to watch it, you have to pay $30 like you're buying it at the store.

And you don't keep it forever. Only keep it if you keep subbing to Disney.
Fortunately I hated the animated feature so I will give it a hard pass!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Terrible UI and dumbfuck handling of languages/resolutions.
Netflix wipes the floor with it while drunk.

Oh, and I've sold my soul to Bezos have prime, just not for video streaming reasons.
The UI is indeed terrible. Completely agreed. Netflix feels so smooth in comparison.

Ten_Fold

Heard they ain’t even got the dragon in this movie, or the song..... yeah I’ll pass. Not spending $30 to see this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well this four month old article isn't going to age well. Wonder how this will all play out.

"This policy affects any and all Universal movies per se, goes into effect today and as our theaters reopen, and is not some hollow or ill-considered threat," he continued. "Incidentally, this policy is not aimed solely at Universal out of pique or to be punitive in any way, it also extends to any movie maker who unilaterally abandons current windowing practices absent good faith negotiations between us, so that they as distributor and we as exhibitor both benefit and neither are hurt from such changes.

sol_bad

Two of the actors in Mulan support the HK police and the CCP.

Don't give money to this movie if you care at all about human rights.

Boycott Mulan, Free Hong Kong.

Do you live in China? Why do you care?

30 dollars lol, they're a bunch of greedy fuckers.

A lot of people are going back to torrents and other illegal downloads now that you "need" to be subscribed to many different services. Decisions like this one will only speed up the process.

How else do you recoup 150-200 million dollars?

$38 to watch 130 minutes of made-by-committee modern Disney.

Sure, Jan.

Disney has always been a "made by a committee" company. Nothing has changed in 70 years or so.........

Last edited:

asustitan

Banned
When you are trying to emulate a cinema gross by on demand $30 might even be too low.

How much would 3 people , average household, tickets, food + drinks cost at the cinema? At least $30 right.

Now with cinema releases you are not getting 1080p, 4k direct bootlegs. The distributor is protecting its high quality viewings. With on demand you have one night to get that income before the pirates take a scalp of your earnings.

Disney+ has 60million subscribers I believe.
I've no idea of the uptake but say 10% of them purchase it. $6,000,000 * 30 = $180,000,000

Thats not great.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I lived in Hong Kong during the beginning of the protests and saw firsthand how the police acted towards citizens.
I care because I don't believe people who are against human rights should be rewarded, and neither should Disney for working with them.

so you don't use any products made in China anymore ??? seems kind of tough.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When you are trying to emulate a cinema gross by on demand $30 might even be too low.

How much would 3 people , average household, tickets, food + drinks cost at the cinema? At least $30 right.

Now with cinema releases you are not getting 1080p, 4k direct bootlegs. The distributor is protecting its high quality viewings. With on demand you have one night to get that income before the pirates take a scalp of your earnings.

Disney+ has 60million subscribers I believe.
I've no idea of the uptake but say 10% of them purchase it. $6,000,000 * 30 = $180,000,000

Thats not great.
On the plus side that's $180 million in their pocket.

I think theaters/movie studios split sales 50/50, although I remember hearing Disney gets a bit more due to them pushing their weight around.

Regardless, $180M is like $360 million of gate receipts. For a Disney movie, even $360 million (traditional box office sales) isn't great either. A good Disney movie pulls I think minimum $500 million..... so more like $250 million direct as a purchase.

But you never know. If Disney movies like Mulan have enough pull, it might get new subs to sign up which makes it even better for long run sub sales.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Not from lack of trying. And thankfully, a lot of businesses are moving out so it's making it easier. Also, that's a fucking retarded argument.

good job brother keep trying you're gonna put a dent in Disney's wallet and that should stop them from working with China excellent plan

sol_bad

I lived in Hong Kong during the beginning of the protests and saw firsthand how the police acted towards citizens.
I care because I don't believe people who are against human rights should be rewarded, and neither should Disney for working with them.

So you did live there, as in past tense. It's not your home country so why should you concern yourself with their affairs?
How is boycotting this film (because of 2 actors beliefs) going to help with human rights in China?
What about the other 500 people that made the film? Fuck'em?

On the plus side that's $180 million in their pocket.

I think theaters/movie studios split sales 50/50, although I remember hearing Disney gets a bit more due to them pushing their weight around.

Regardless, $180M is like $360 million of gate receipts. For a Disney movie, even $360 million (traditional box office sales) isn't great either. A good Disney movie pulls I think minimum $500 million..... so more like $250 million direct as a purchase.

But you never know. If Disney movies like Mulan have enough pull, it might get new subs to sign up which makes it even better for long run sub sales.

I'd say that 180 million is pretty abysmal compared to what they could make in thecinema.
^_^

My wife is changing my mind about this, if I have my whole family over, there will be 7 of us, I might "rent" this movie or whatever the hell you call it.

xrnzaaas

"greedy fuckers"

*proceeds to steal shit they didn't pay for*
Two things:
1) It's about the price. If watching Mulan on Disney+ costed somewhere like 10 dollars the price would be reasonable and similar to the price of a cinema ticket. I mean okay, more than 1 person can watch the movie online on their device, but you don't get the superb audio/visual experience for the price.
2) Some people will pirate no matter what you do and there's nothing to be done about this. You can offer the movie for free as a part of Disney+ sub and they'd still pirate it.

How else do you recoup 150-200 million dollars?
You set a reasonable price. 30 dollars (plus an active subscription which is another 8 dollars) is an insane price for an online movie. In my opinion many people will ignore this movie or wait for bluray after seeing the 30 dollar price tag, even if they'd pay the same amount (or more) going to the cinema as a family.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Why would anyone care about human rights abuses? What's really important is Disney bottom line. 🙄

We can't have Disney post losses two quarters in a row guys. Priorities people

Hey, if you care about China, than move there and do something.
:)

oagboghi2

Hey, if you care about China, than move there and do something.
:)
What a stupid excuse.

"If you don't like what is happening in China, move there and stop the CCP"

"Oh you don't like genocide in CAR? Move to central Africa and just make peace."

"Oh you don't like the police state of North Korea, well why don't you marry Kim Jong Uh"

Do you have this idiotic mindset to all humanitarian crises, or just the ones Disney is tangentially attached to?

People can vote with their wallet and not fund propaganda by a communist state which has an atrocious human rights record. I'm sorry if that is to much for you

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
What a stupid excuse.

"Oh you don't like genocide in CAR? Move to central Africa and just make peace."

"Oh you don't like the police state of North Korea, well why don't you marry Kim Jong Uh"

Do you have this idiotic mindset to all humanitarian crises, or just the ones Disney is tangentially attached to?

People can vote with their wallet and not fund propaganda by a communist state which has an atrocious human rights record. I'm sorry if that is to much for you
You forgot "Hey you don't like what that corporation is doing, become their CEO/President/etc"

So you did live there, as in past tense. It's not your home country so why should you concern yourself with their affairs?
How is boycotting this film (because of 2 actors beliefs) going to help with human rights in China?
What about the other 500 people that made the film? Fuck'em?

So you're saying that people shouldn't care about what happens in other parts of the world? That's both selfish and wilfully ignorant.

sol_bad

What a stupid excuse.

So you're saying that people shouldn't care about what happens in other parts of the world? That's both selfish and wilfully ignorant.

I'm saying if you really care about something than do something to help the cause rather than sit on a forum and "virtue signal".

If you aren't a part of the country that has the problem, there is fuck all you can do. And also, countries shouldn't stick their nose in other countries business. The country needs to sort their own problem out, they need to learn from their own mistakes. There is so much shit going on in this world in third world countries and there ain't nothing any of us can do about it.

And again, how the hell is boycotting a Disney film going to help China with freedom? Please explain oagboghi2 oh wise one, what will it accomplish?

I did, I went to protests while I was there. I had already planned on leaving to go back to school before I left. It's a hell of a lot more than you apparently are willing to do for any cause.

And for the record, Hong Kong is not a third world country, go read a fucking newspaper.

Dacon

Banned
I'm saying if you really care about something than do something to help the cause rather than sit on a forum and "virtue signal".

If you aren't a part of the country that has the problem, there is fuck all you can do. And also, countries shouldn't stick their nose in other countries business. The country needs to sort their own problem out, they need to learn from their own mistakes. There is so much shit going on in this world in third world countries and there ain't nothing any of us can do about it.

And again, how the hell is boycotting a Disney film going to help China with freedom? Please explain oagboghi2 oh wise one, what will it accomplish?

Are you serious?

We can't directly do anything about China doing terrible shit to people, but we can show our disapproval of Disney desperately trying to appeal to a fucked up communist government by hurting their bottom line, protesting their blatant disregard of China's abuses in a mad grab for profit. Disney is an American company, and we CAN do something about them.

It's a small statement to make, but it's something we can actually fucking do.

If someone does something that you don't approve of you ARE NOT obligated to give them your money, and if you want to protest with your wallet, that's your right as an American.

sol_bad

I did, I went to protests while I was there. I had already planned on leaving to go back to school before I left. It's a hell of a lot more than you apparently are willing to do for any cause.

And for the record, Hong Kong is not a third world country, go read a fucking newspaper.

It's great that you went to the protests, I respect that.
But again, how does boycotting Mulan save China? And what about the hundreds of other people that made the film?
I wasn't just quoting you when I was mentioning third world countries.
;)

Are you serious?

We can't directly do anything about China doing terrible shit to people, but we can show our disapproval of Disney desperately trying to appeal to a fucked up communist government by hurting their bottom line, protesting their blatant disregard of China's abuses in a mad grab for profit. Disney is an American company, and we CAN do something about them.

It's a small statement to make, but it's something we can actually fucking do.

If someone does something that you don't approve of you ARE NOT obligated to give them your money, and if you want to protest with your wallet, that's your right as an American.

Are you serious?
The world has been supporting China for decades, not just the evil Disney corporation. How many Chinese products have you bought over the last 30 years? How many in the last 5 years? The last week?

Stop pretending you don't want to support China when it's just your weird hate against Disney.

Boycotting Mulan tells companies not to hire actors and actresses that champion countries and causes that remove or trample human rights. As for "the hundreds of other people", I assume you're talking about the crew. They've already been paid and boycotting this movie isn't going to hurt them. Their salaries aren't contingent upon how well this movie does.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Boycotting Mulan tells companies not to hire actors and actresses that champion countries and causes that remove or trample human rights. As for "the hundreds of other people", I assume you're talking about the crew. They've already been paid and boycotting this movie isn't going to hurt them. Their salaries aren't contingent upon how well this movie does.

That doesn't explain how that saves China.
Let's say the boycott works, it just means Disney will ensure they hire people with "right think" and won't hire people with "wrong think" in regards to Chinese actors.

How does this save China?

Dacon

Banned
Are you serious?
The world has been supporting China for decades, not just the evil Disney corporation. How many Chinese products have you bought over the last 30 years? How many in the last 5 years? The last week?

Pretty laughable false equivalency pal. I don't control what products get made in China and bought by American companies to get sold here. Whether or not I bought any of those products intentionally or otherwise,is irrelevant. You're trying to impart some kind of innate hypocrisy to people wanting to take a stand on this issue and it hardly makes any sense.

People are taking a stand on this now, because they can.

Thankfully both America, and the world are making some pretty big moves to decouple from its dependence on Chinese labor.

Stop pretending you don't want to support China when it's just your weird hate against Disney.

I don't hate Disney, and even if I did that would be totally irrelevant to the actual argument at hand. You're deflecting. What I hate here, is the CCP.

The fact that you can denigrate a justifiable objection to a company's decision to specifically cater politically to an oppressive government through media as "weird hate" is downright juvenile.

This is something people can actually do something about here, I've yet to see a reasonable argument as to why they shouldn't. We can't "save China" by doing this, but we can at very least voice our objection to Disney's choices in this matter.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

My money not going to fund CCP propaganda outreach. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that sol_bad sol_bad .

I never claimed me withholding a 30 dollar purchase was going to overthrow China
Thank you. I hear this bullshit a lot and I hate it. The crew has been paid. Literally everyone involved in production got paid. Stop trying to position you buying a corporations film project as some humanitarian feat

nush

"I was in Hong Kong for a short time and now I'm an expert, so don't question me"

Also school? School. Johnny come lately student activist.

This is the point where you reply not knowing what experience I've got. I can read a newspaper.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
All major movie studios are partnering with China the biggest theatre operator in America amc is owned by a Chinese company make sure to boycott all of them too and since a lot of people boycott things just to make themselves look good without ever doing anything make sure you're donating your hard earned income to the hk protestors they need all the help they can get. You guys can do this !

gatti-man

Not a rental as it's not the same as what Universal was doing with Trolls which was $20 for 48 hours.
Trolls didn’t do well either compared to the theater launch of trolls1. This is going to be a disaster but everyone will just say no one wanted to watch Mulan.

let’s see the logic. 100m people all paying $6 a month for Disney+ are suddenly going to shell out$30 for a pseudo rental of a remake that cost 160m+ to make. I doubt even 1% spring for it.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Theres barely any competition in the market for big budget blockbuster movies they're all pushed back until next year plenty of people have a surplus in their movie going budget and Disney has a ton of subscribers on their streaming services and I'm not doubting they're constantly promoting it on them Disney stands the chance to make some bank with this one. I think they gross at least $200,000,000.

oagboghi2

Theres barely any competition in the market for big budget blockbuster movies they're all pushed back until next year plenty of people have a surplus in their movie going budget and Disney has a ton of subscribers on their streaming services and I'm not doubting they're constantly promoting it on them Disney stands the chance to make some bank with this one. I think they gross at least $200,000,000.
Good for Disney. I'll be sure to buy some stock.🙄

LarknThe4th

So you buy the film, but the only way to even be able to purchase it is to already be subscribed to their streaming service and to maintain ownership you have to remain subscribed to their service?......

This is incredibly scummy, like greed on unprecedented levels, they want your monthly sub and an upfront one off purchase

Oh
"I was in Hong Kong for a short time and now I'm an expert, so don't question me"

Also school? School. Johnny come lately student activist.

This is the point where you reply not knowing what experience I've got. I can read a newspaper.
Oh fuck off, you commie supporting scum.

Top Bottom