• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mulan estimated to have made $261 Million in US alone on Disney+

I went to go see Tenet in theaters with the girlfriend. Two IMAX tickets for $35. Then another $45 for the babysitter. And she bought $15 worth of popcorn and nachos. $95 for the night. Whereas if it was released on demand for $30, we wouldn’t need a babysitter and popcorn would’ve been $0.50.

sol_bad

How would you know? It would have made more because more people watched.. maybe 100 million would have watched for 7 bucks 🤡 but the made it 30 and 20 euros .

At $7 you'd need 4x the people to rent it just to make what they made now. You can't guarantee that would happen.

Disney would see their own numbers for $7 rentals of other titles and they could predict if it would be worth it. They decided it wasn't worth the risk, IE they generally don't make a lot of money from $7 rentals.

EL BABE

Neo Member
I went to go see Tenet in theaters with the girlfriend. Two IMAX tickets for $35. Then another $45 for the babysitter. And she bought $15 worth of popcorn and nachos. $95 for the night. Whereas if it was released on demand for $30, we wouldn’t need a babysitter and popcorn would’ve been $0.50.
Those sound like some expensive cinema tickets! Where do you live?
For comparison, here in México the same IMAX tickets are around $5 US dollars, no Wonder TENET flopped, with the corona quarantine pandemic not everyone is wiling to spend that amount of money on one night.

was a crap movie but i suspect covid lockdowns in many countries means people are looking for stuff to do so those numbers are probably inflated though

Those sound like some expensive cinema tickets! Where do you live?
For comparison, here in México the same IMAX tickets are around $5 US dollars, no Wonder TENET flopped, with the corona quarantine pandemic not everyone is wiling to spend that amount of money on one night.
Arizona. But I used to live in NY and IMAX tickets were $25 each.

Is it any surprise at all? They were so concerned about checking boxes, they forgot to make a good movie.
None of the cardboard characters have any development, the story loses itself in the 2nd half, and the action is laughable compared to actual kung fu movies. Why would anyone pay to watch this? When you try to please everyone, you please no one.

Kerotan

Arizona. But I used to live in NY and IMAX tickets were $25 each.
Damn no wonder the American box office is so big. In Europe adults get tickets for as low as €10/12 nearly always. There are Fiver Friday promotions too and students/kids get great deals. If they charged €20+ regularly nobody would go.

John2290

Disney is up shit creek, 28,000 employees gone, dead theaters and still no vaccine. They should put all the money they have into vaccine research, join up with a pharma company and use Cinema tickets as distribution. Get a free inoculation when you go see The Lion king 2. tbh, there is no way out of this for them unless a vaccine is mass produced before Xmas and everyone's Cinema and theme park phobia lifts at the same time, they won't make it til next year.

Top Bottom