• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney is laying off 14% of Pixar's workforce

Draugoth

Gold Member

The long-expected layoffs at Pixar Animation Studios have begun.

Today, leadership at the storied company that traces it origins to the late Steve Jobs and was bought by Disney in 2006 will notify employees of the reductions, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. It is the biggest restructuring in Pixar’s history, although top leadership isn’t impacted.

Approximately 14 percent of Pixar’s workforce, or around 175 employees, will be let go. Before the reductions, approximately 1,300 people worked at the animation studio.

Disney has laid off roughly 14% of Pixar in the biggest workforce reduction in the company's history.

"Top leadership is unaffected".

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'd be curious to see which departments are getting hammered. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's HR, DEI, and marketing, as those can all be rolled up more in a grand Disney umbrella versus the guys doing server maintenance, the coding, and the artists (though lately the output of Disney and Pixar have looked so similar, I'd think they are from the same people).

All curious to see how Inside Out 2 does. Seems squarely in the "teenaged girls hormones" market but who knows.

-They always use the same character modeling in their films.

-The Toy Story franchise does not evolve in the narrative, someone always gets lost and they go to their rescue.

- Terrible way of giving morals since the movie Onward

-It is always more melodrama and comedy, you can see the same script and follow-up in every Pixar film, but in a different way.

- The blackmail that they are always nominated for the Oscar, despite being a fiasco.

- Same script of family fights, in which the father or the son do not understand.

Simply put, every Pixar movie is getting tired and the audience too.

cormack12

Gold Member
"Top leadership is unaffected".

hammaya-relaxed.gif

To be honest I think they've gone a bit mediocre. They've had solid entries and a few middling ones but not one outstanding release imo

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I've said it before and I'll say it again, they went to shit when they fired John Lasseter because some crybabies were upset by him hugging them. John Ratzenberger pretty much said recently that he stopped doing his cameos when Lasseter left.
Exactly what I was about to post.

Lasseter was at the heart of Pixar, and he created content with genuine, morally universal content that everyone could enjoy. Removing him made Pixar fall into generic Disney mediocrity, good riddance.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
-They always use the same character modeling in their films.

-The Toy Story franchise does not evolve in the narrative, someone always gets lost and they go to their rescue.

- Terrible way of giving morals since the movie Onward

-It is always more melodrama and comedy, you can see the same script and follow-up in every Pixar film, but in a different way.

- The blackmail that they are always nominated for the Oscar, despite being a fiasco.

- Same script of family fights, in which the father or the son do not understand.

Simply put, every Pixar movie is getting tired and the audience too.
Mums got a dump truck

diffusionx

Gold Member
It is weird how, when you push out talented, competent, and visionary leaders at a company and replace them with mediocrities, the companies cannot function anymore. It's almost like a company is only the sum of its employees and the name is little more than a sign in front of the building.

Last edited:

Nydius

Gold Member
Looking at Pixar’s output over the last few years, plus what’s coming soon (do we really need an Inside Out 2?), seems like they sacked the wrong people. Should have sacked “top leadership”, kept the workers, and promoted new talent with better ideas.

I watched some of their older stuff with the kids last weekend, they were fucking amazing back in the day and couldn't produce a bad movie even if they tried. What happened? I know Lasseter got given the boot for having an inappropriate relationship, but they had a bunch of great directors, are any still around?

Last edited:

Fbh

Maybe they fired some writers when they realized they don't need that many people to come up with another story about the same 2-3 themes they seem to focus on these days.

Here I'll do it for free:
The story take place in a world where anthropomorphized food items live, specifically in the city of Pizzaiolo where all the pizza ingredients live.
Each year there's a big talent show competition where every city sends a group of people who combine their unique talents to put on a performance.
The story follows Ana, a Pineapple who just moved into town looking for a better life
Due to some random circumstances she unexpectedly ends up on the team that's going to represent Pizzaiolo on the big talent show
At first everyone makes her feel unwelcome because she is an outsider who is different and doesn't have the same culture, everyone basically tells her she doesn't belong here.
This is specially true for evil Formaggio who thinks he alone should be enough and everyone else is just bringing him down.
With the support of a dumb but lovable ham boy called Prosciutto and a clever girl called Doughy (who we'll hint at being romantically involved with her), Ana gains the confidence to be herself and helps the team win the competition.
In the end everyone comes to realize that her uniqueness is her strength and she makes the whole team better because of it.
The end.

Last edited:
Looking at Pixar’s output over the last few years, plus what’s coming soon (do we really need an Inside Out 2?), seems like they sacked the wrong people. Should have sacked “top leadership”, kept the workers, and promoted new talent with better ideas.
I believe another Toy Story is in the works.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Maybe they fired some writers when they realized they don't need that many people to come up with another story about the same 2-3 themes they seem to focus on these days.

The story take place in a world where anthropomorphized food items live, specifically in the city of Pizzaiolo where all the pizza ingredients live.
Each year there's a big talent show competition where every city sends a group of people who combine their unique talents to put on a performance.
The story follows Anna, a Pineapple who just moved into town looking for a better life
Due to some random circumstances she unexpectedly ends up on the team that's going to represent Pizzaiolo on the big talent show
At first everyone makes her feel unwelcome because she is different and doesn't have the same culture, everyone basically tells her she doesn't belong here.
This is specially true for evil Formaggio who thinks he alone should be enough and everyone else is just bringing him down.
With the support of a dumb but lovable ham boy called Prosciutto and a clever girl called Doughy (who we'll hint at being romantically involved with her), Ana gains the confidence to be herself and helps the team win the competition.
In the end everyone comes to realize that her uniqueness is her strength and she makes the whole team better because of it.
The end.
So long as olives and anchovies are the villains in Pizzaiolo as abhorent toppings that should NEVER be put on a pizza, maybe pair them with some white sauce (heh, it fits the theme!) bad guys as well, you gots my money. Pineappleonia can also learn why the marginalized strombolis and calzones should be accepted for what they are and not fat shamed :p Her zippy ADHD sidekick can be a Hot Pocket.

damn, I think we can pitch this....

Last edited:

DanteFox

The story follows Ana, a Pineapple who just moved into town looking for a better life
At first everyone makes her feel unwelcome because she is an outsider who is different and doesn't have the same culture, everyone basically tells her she doesn't belong here.
The end.
Pretty good, actually. You're hired.

Billbofet

I believe another Toy Story is in the works.
Is this one going to focus on one of the characters getting lost and the rest of the toys teaming up to find them, only to discover they have found themselves along and throughout this journey?
Oh wait, that's Toy Story 1, 2, 3, and 4. Oh, and Finding Nemos. Oh, and Monsters, Inc.. Oh, and Inside Out, Up, Cars.........

Vyse

Gold Member
Feel like companies are not meeting their financial goals so they fire a bunch of people to save on SG&A. It’s the quickest way aside from selling assets and cross fingers that the next project will be a hit. Glad to hear those fat cats on the top are okay and that the people that are trying to make a living are kicked to the streets. Sad.

Saber

But the important thing is the message, surelly they were willing to sacrifice their jobs for the greater good.

The end.

You kid but this sounds exactly the type of turd film with Oscar nomination that Disney would come up with.
And it would feel like Barbie moment at the Oscars. Bunch of top notch artistically well written phrases from quality movies, then out of sudden they show the diahea brain damage phrase from Barbie, as if its closer to any of those films.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I liked Inside Out, Encanto, Soul and Turning Red

Y'all don't have to but they were all entertaining AF to me and my adult daughter

Steve just hit 10k RPM's I feel the shift in the Earth's orbit lol

Disney were the ones that forced Pixar to streaming to prop up D+ during the pandemic so it's their fault Pixar movies started underperforming but as usual management gets away with it and it's regular people who get laid off. Tale as old as time

Last edited:

Mr1999

They always do this though, not just Disney, they hire a bunch of people during a phase and then later start cutting jobs, they follow each others trends. Plus, new Pixar films are not really what they used to be, it used to be way more family oriented, something you would go see with family, and it ended up being memorable. Hate to say it but movies/tv shows have lost their way and I think most people will agree with that, and Pixar is no different. They have a scatter shot approach, they tried, it failed and now they will scape goat whatever they can, it doesn't (for me) then mean they learned from any of it. It also doesn't mean they won't hire now, just depends on what they think they need. Would love to know what was cut.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I grew up with Disney's great cartoon films and now i sadly wouldn't care if the company disappeared for good, that's how bad their output and attitude have been in recent times, if it isn't the people at the top being laid off, i don't see anything changing.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
When was their last good film. I think Luca was the last one I thought was good.
Excellent taste. Luca is so underrated, one of Pixar's best films.
Soul and Luca were their last two excellent movies. I thought Turning Red had an effective story, good but nothing special, but the generic artstyle is very underwhelming, and is probably the main reason I won't be rewatching it.

Looking at Pixar's box office returns, perhaps Disney is anticipating further failures to match their pre-COVID profits? During the 2010s, Pixar would routinely near or cross the billion-dollar mark.
In green, movies released during COVID, which naturally weren't able to earn much in theaters; in red, every pre-COVID release that had a box office return lower than Elemental's (note these also have lower budgets than Elemental, and these are unadjusted for inflation)
image.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom