• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Investor Thinks Company Should Buy Game-Maker Activision.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...inks-company-should-buy-game-maker-activision

Activision Blizzard Inc.’s declining share price over the past several months has some speculating the video-game company could be a takeover target.

Gerber Kawasaki Inc.’s Nick Licouris thinks Walt Disney Co. should be the buyer. The Santa Monica, California-based investor sees potential benefits between Activision’s growing esports business and Disney’s TV networks. He also sees an opportunity for Disney to leverage its film and TV characters.

“Ideally for an investor you want this to happen now,” Licouris said in an interview. Gerber Kawasaki owns roughly 90,000 shares of Activision, worth about $4.3 million, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Disney is in the firm’s top three holdings, with a 13F filing listing more than 152,000 shares valued at almost $22 million.

Disney’s history in the video-game business isn’t great. The company acquired game makers such as Playdom and Club Penguin, bought game studios and launched a gaming platform called Infinity. But after running up hundreds of millions of dollars in losses, the company shifted to letting companies like Electronic Arts Inc. make games based on its characters for a fee.

“We’ve just decided that the best place for us to be in that space is licensing and not publishing,” Disney Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said on an investor call in February.

Neither Disney nor Activision immediately responded to requests for comment.

Esports on TV
Disney already televises Activision’s Overwatch League under a multiyear deal, and that could lead to closer ties. Disney’s knack for storytelling presents ample opportunities, especially after Activision’s acquisition of Candy Crush-maker King Digital Entertainment in 2016, Licouris said.

A deal wouldn’t be cheap. Activision’s market value is almost $37 billion, even after a 43% drop in the stock since its October 2018 high. The shares were up 0.8% to $47.86 Tuesday in New York. Disney was up 0.6%.

Activision has also been highlighted as a possible asset for Apple Inc. given that it would offer “leverage to an industry rapidly transitioning to mobile,” JPMorgan told clients in a research note earlier this year.

Last edited:

Petrae

“I am Walt of Disney. Resistance is futile. Your time as it’s been as a publisher is over. From this time forward, you will service... us.”

Lucumo

Gerber Kawasaki owns roughly 90,000 shares of Activision, worth about $4.3 million, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
"Please buy the company, so these shares don't become worthless."

wondermega

They must talk about this stuff all the time in the background. Activision, EA, Disney, etc - these giant multimillion, err, billion dollar megabeasts - eyeballing one another up and down, trying to figure out the best way to complete their enormous circle of control of all these IPs and avenues for making just unbelievably huge amounts of money. You know these execs all live in this completely different world than 99% of the rest of us, they know (or know of) each other for many many years. It's not new and this stuff happens slowly (and begrudgingly, many times). Is it good? Is it bad? It's probably both. Does it matter? Hard to say in the bigger picture. Gaming changes substantially with each decade and it will continue to do so drastically. These huge players will keep dominating the mass media in bigger ways I am sure, but due to the nature of tech there will always be very different levels of things (smaller companies and consoles, indie development, etc).

So do I care? As someone who has worked for some of these big companies in different capacities in the past, it's interesting. As someone who has been involved in the gaming pastime since I was a kid, of course I want to see what the next big waves will be and how that will affect how I participate in that world. But I guess overall I don't really feel one way or the other about the inevitability of the massive monoliths swallowing one another up. I guess I'd prefer that they don't keep merging, but I don't really touch anything put out by the likes of Activision or EA for so many years now that I don't really feel a personal investment anymore. Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft are all still doing wonderful things across the board to really push the industry for the near term from my point of view.

This could all change very dramatically in the next 10 years of course, depending on moves like this.

CJY

Banned
I thought America had monopoly laws. How Come Disney seems exempt?
Monopolies are not illegal in the US or anywhere else really, but they are heavily regulated. There are such things as "illegal monopolies" though. All comes down to semantics, but such is law.

I'm sure a head honcho of Disney was questioned recently about the video game market and they showed nothing but disinterest in it.

Edit: I thin it was to do with talks about LucasArts

Last edited:

Zannegan

Thats... actually a pretty good fit for Disney, honestly. Hell, even the corporate cultures seem like they'd line up. Of course, that's only if they're in it for the long haul. I'd fully expect Disney to change directions and offload them in a decade or so even if this did happen.

It would, overall, be a big loss for gamers in all likelihood. No more edgy No Russian-style campaigns, that's for sure. On the other hand, I would absolutely play a Star Wars themed Call of Duty reskin, so there's that.

Aintitcool

Banned
Disney needs to buy EA not fucking activision way wrong move.

EA is more fitting into the disney corporate ladder and would use the IPs the best. Activision will just take star wars and make terrible children games. EA would be making games looking for an IP that sells for years. EA is the right philosophy for disney they have the history of making the best kid license games and movie license games.

Like harry potter and ect. EA just takes care of other IP's the best in the industry usually.

Last edited:
Can't wait for Disney & Friends Call of Duty.

Oh sure.
But let me rephrase that.

Disney is way worse than anything else. It ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckingin' sport.

Can you elaborate? They're all equally evil as american corporations go from what I know.

EA is more fitting into the disney corporate ladder and would use the IPs the best. Activision will just take star wars and make terrible children games. EA would be making games looking for an IP that sells for years. EA is the right philosophy for disney they have the history of making the best kid license games and movie license games.

Like harry potter and ect. EA just takes care of other IP's the best in the industry usually.

The backlash EA has received for their pathetic Star Wars output has annoyed Disney, no matter what they say publicly. Also Activision, for all their faults, have a history of releasing titles for all age groups. Yes, they do Skylanders, but they also do CoD, Destiny and other adult franchises.

I generally avoid giving them money but if they can bring back toys to life Star Wars they may tempt me. I miss Disney Infinity...

Last edited:
I mean i wouldnt be opposed to walking through Diabloland...

But honestly i dont really care about activision or disney much anymore

Call of Marvel

Calling it now.

Disney needs to stop buying things. It is getting ridiculous how large they are. At least Fox is being sold...but to NewsCorp, another awful company.

Zannegan

I dunno, the one Disney IP EA has has been pretty poorly managed, unless you're only talking about their phone games, then it's full steam ahead because they are just eating the whales alive.

Aintitcool

Banned
I dunno, the one Disney IP EA has has been pretty poorly managed, unless you're only talking about their phone games, then it's full steam ahead because they are just eating the whales alive.
While yes the drama and lootboxes by EA were bad. There is no lack of quality art and care to visuals and sounds from the IP that Dice did an amazing job with and today BF2 is a really good game. They failed at marketing and had the whole EA BAD thing. But when it came to using the IP and working with the IP holders. The work is amazing.

If disney buys them and fixes mismanagement EA should be back at top. But they got to get rid of the CEO and make it more like classic EA.

EA is the kind of company that would make a game around anything. Activision is the company that will focus test IPs and than decide games.

Last edited:

Zannegan

While yes the drama and lootboxes by EA were bad. There is no lack of quality art and care to visuals and sounds from the IP that Dice did an amazing job with and today BF2 is a really good game. They failed at marketing and had the whole EA BAD thing. But when it came to using the IP and working with the IP holders. The work is amazing.

If disney buys them and fixes mismanagement EA should be back at top. But they got to get rid of the CEO and make it more like classic EA.

EA is the kind of company that would make a game around anything. Activision is the company that will focus test IPs and than decide games.

I wouldn't bet on Disney sorting out anyone's management at the moment, especially not EA's.

Really though, I don't see how you can claim EA would be the better guardian of the IP. When you compare their bland iterativeoutput to Activision's, they are at least as focus-tested or lacking, if not worse. The attention to detail in DICE's battlefront games was nice, but the actual gameplay was the most sanitized, simplified, cut-down, for-the-masses, bore that I've played in a good long while. I wouldn't call that care an attention to an IP so much as style over substance.

Activision's games may be cynical skinnerboxes to the same degree that EA's are, but at least they're still fun, IMO. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

source.gif

I can't wait

gatti-man

And many others fail to understand how monopolies emerge. Which truly is sad.
Yeah or you just talk out of your ass. How is Disney a monopoly in games? They don’t even do them atm and license off their IP. To be a monopoly you must have no real competition. They aren’t a monopoly in anything besides their own IP which is perfectly legal. Before Disney made super hero movies a thing marvel wasn’t worth shit. Is it Disney’s fault they know what they are doing? Ofcourse not.

You just don’t like Disney so you label them things you don’t like. Get upset about real monopolies like the cell industry or cable or internet. Not a content maker. You know what happens to Disney if people stop watching/caring? They go broke. That’s not a monopoly. Fuck even consoles are more a monopoly than anything Disney does.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
why not, just buy everything. then get your lawyers to change copyright law again and make it so you own all of pop culture for the next 200 years. then we get endless live action remakes that are worse than the originals, over and over, until all of culture is one mega movie that comes out each year and has to make 1 trillion dollars or the economy crashes. then they sign the bill to simply direct social security funds towards your Disney+ Streaming Media and Health Insurance Company so they don't pull the plug when grandpa is irritated by Star Wars XXXXX The Rise of Jedi Force

Last edited:

FStubbs

I thought America had monopoly laws. How Come Disney seems exempt?

1) We have a GOP administration in place right now. The GOP traditionally loves big business. (They do hate Amazon right now but that's a personal feud with Trump)
2) Disney isn't even really a monopoly ... yet. You can make a movie in Hollywood without working with Disney, and even if they bought Activision/Blizzard, you could make a AAA game without Disney, and they still aren't a platform holder. If it ever gets to the point where you do what Disney says or you don't do business, then we can say they're a monopoly. EDIT: In the video game space, Epic is more poised to become a monopoly than Disney is at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom