• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Faceplants With First Animated LGBTQ Character: A Horned Cyclops Lesbian Cop

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t know what version of Frozen you’ve been watching but it sounds a thousand times better than the one Disney released.
Are you also telling me that Beauty and the Beast wasn't stockholm syndrome animated?

Nymphae

Banned

EpqmDRl.png

Last edited:

Doom85

LMAO, that dumbass 1 Million Moms group didn't affect shit. The film just never looked like a must-see. I saw it, it was alright but could easily wait for Disney+, and with the virus ordeal many folks probably don't want to go to the movies for just "alright". And the sort of individuals who are so easily offended by a cop mentioning her girlfriend ONCE probably barely see any movies or even leave their house if they can avoid it they're so terrified of the outside world. Seriously, LOL, "1 million", they could just change the name to reflect their FAR lower membership number but I guess some people just love looking like fools.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I doubt the LGBT character was the reason it didn't do well. I think it was more due to the lack of an interesting plot, characters, and just generally generic themes and design.

I actually really liked this movie. Trailers didn’t do it justice. Super Pixar tear jerker and probably deals with the most mature themes of any of their movies.

Paltheos

Disney is desperately trying to have their cake and eat it. Trying to score woke points but also not really committing to a real character being gay. Gotta get that China money too you know.

Here’s a thought. Let your narrative drive character decisions instead of some woke checklist. It’s such silly pandering. It’s so transparent.

This was my thought. As soon as I read 'character appears in only one scene', I suspected this might have something to do with appeasing the Chinese overlords. "They can only include the character if they can easily remove her," I thought, but to be fair I don't know the movie's script. I'm just basing this off their track record in Star Wars.

EpqmDRl.png

Correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

Regardless of anything else, I personally thought the marketing for this movie was ass and just made it look generic as fuck. if anything, I think everybody needs to stop interpreting the failure of boring/shitty looking movies as some kind of definitive political statement or weather vane for which way the culture war winds are blowing.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

Regardless of anything else, I personally thought the marketing for this movie was ass and just made it look generic as fuck. if anything, I think everybody needs to stop interpreting the failure of boring/shitty looking movies as some kind of definitive political or weather vane for which way the culture war winds are blowing.

Just posting the numbers. Fact is it's their worst box office opening, for whatever reason.

Just posting the numbers. Fact is it's their worst box office opening, for whatever reason.

That is most definitely not what that article is trying to get across with a title like

After Promoting LGBT Character, Disney’s ‘Onward’ Has Worst Opening Box Office In Pixar History

The "Progressives" at Era used to do this all the time; use movies as some kind of litmus test for how racist/homophobic society is. I think its just a dumb practice either way.

Nymphae

Banned
That is most definitely not what that article is trying to get across with a title like

After Promoting LGBT Character, Disney’s ‘Onward’ Has Worst Opening Box Office In Pixar History

The "Progressives" at Era used to do this all the time; use movies as some kind of litmus test for how racist/homophobic society is. I think its just a dumb practice either way.

Sure, and I'm not attributing it to that like the article is, merely posting the numbers.

NickFire

I'm extremely doubtful there was any causation. Even if the virus had no causation at all (doubtful), in my little world I never heard a peep about this movie outside of the internet. I think there was just a lack of interest.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
b-but 1 Million Moms failed to get it banned in America! /s

that's the problem when you rely heavily on foreign markets, they don't share the same liberal values of Hollywood, they are more likely to be culturally conservative, especially around hot topics like this. lobbyist groups like 1MM may not be able to shut down sales in the USA but all that controversy is noted around the world, and it looks like they will lose a lot of money from it after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom