• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, right NOW. It was released in JUNE. Do you really think from June until today it’s enough time to build a game based on that GDK? If so, you are delusional. All games are still not fully using the new GDK, because it’s simply too new.
the PS5 SDK was already finalized in 2019!

Remember for months and months since January people were complaining because all we had was a PS5 logo, and then the FUD started in the Discord groups that PlayStation was behind, Sony wasn’t ready and they will probably delay the PlayStation because it’s not ready, we don’t even know what the console looks like, it’s not ready, it’s not ready, it’s not ready...

(even after it was supposed to lAuNch iN tWeNtY nInEtEeN FUD running at the same time)

My, that was a quick 180 with which was nOt rEaDy, eh?

Stop making up excuses for trillion dollar companies. That’s how they continue to get away with their shit.

Last edited:
Loading on Sony's SSD is amazing, quick resume, which is just a name for fast loading is unneeded, gotcha!

This reminds me of how people say Game Pass sucks until Sony starts talking about maybe having an answer to it then all of a sudden it's "Sony's going for the kill!" So it is good?
It is not the same as fast load. It is more of a save state... And it is awesome. Especially if you play long games such as jrpgs. When you get bored you just switch to something else, play some minutes and then almost instantaneously go back to it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
oh wait, theres people that actually believes that ps5 is more powerful than Series X haahahhabahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

emm hahahaha
giphy.gif

Greggy

It's not just dirt 5 that is exposing Microsoft's marketing as fraudulent.

Unless you contest that the XSX has 12TF of theoritical power and the PS5 10, their marketing wasn't fraudulent.
That being said, I expect Microsoft to address the latest performance comparisons. If the media won't ask them, we should all tweet Phil Spencer and ask for an explanation.
I suspect Sony is just as surprised as everybody to be winning these comparisons, otherwise they would have pushed back from start against Microsoft's most powerful narrative.

Unless you contest that the XSX has 12TF of theoritical power and the PS5 10, their marketing wasn't fraudulent.
That being said, I expect Microsoft to address the latest performance comparisons. If the media won't ask them, we should all tweet Phil Spencer and ask for an explanation.
I suspect Sony is just as surprised as everybody to be winning these comparisons, otherwise they would have pushed back from start against Microsoft's most powerful narrative.

Sony was also doing something very different with their console so maybe they were not confident in winning multiplat comparisons. I mean the last time they tried doing something different we ended up with CELL.

What they did focus on was showing games running on the system. At least they were confident enough to do that.

geordiemp

oh wait, theres people that actually believes that ps5 is more powerful than Series X haahahhabahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

emm hahahaha

Your quite right, XSX is the most powerful console for mining, where TF matters.

For gaming, there are many other parameters to consider such as caches, wavefronts and how geeometry and vertices / primatives are handled......which is why people run games as benchmarks.

Unfortunately, the understanding of anything more than TF is too much for some who like simple numbers and its not worth explaining as they will never understand.

Last edited:

Greggy

.PS5 has significantly better settings and performs better in 120Hz mode too
The devs have aknowledged that the XSX version is buggy and that they have a fix but I understand it goes against the narrative so it doesn't matter

Dirt 5 looks better than Horizon, has better textures, better simulations, mud, dirt, foliage, water etc...More cars on screen
It's the first time I see Dirt 5 being praised for its technical achievements or graphics anywhere including in that entire DF comparison video. All opinions are valid though.

kuncol02

Banned
Crazy how some xbox fanboys are going out of their ways to lie about the whole thing to tarnish DF and John's reputation.

I'm pretty sure that even there was thread about downloading games on PS5 because people don't understand how it works and lots of people actually downloaded PS4 versions of games by accident.

Topher

Gold Member
I think most of us have heard and know of smartshift.

The context in David speech was not about the smartshift imo, but he kinda slipped up and acknowledged their current cross gen game have tons of cpu headroom, which allows them to allocate to the Gpu and thats how PS5 is punching above its specs.
It is pretty clear, because the question posed to David earlier was, along the line: 'specs of SX is more powerful but why is DF finding games hiccuping on it, can you clue us in etc'

David for most part, tried to play it netural and adds some positivity wrt to codemaster work culture in the face of covid. It is the overclocking part he let slipped.

I don't think he said what you think he said at all, but ok...

NullZ3r0

Banned
Decided to watch it, as the 4K will never show up. What a terrible video quality, I´ve seen better looking 480p videos than that shite.
120fps
XSX is better (thanks VRR tearings not noticeable), but only because the assets are of significant inferior quality* compared to the PS5. The latter has only issues during a start of a race with 15+ cars all at once revving up, effects etc. The XSS at 120fps looks like a PS2 game still in alpha.

60fps resolution mode
Nothing to report here. XSX still employs "shittier" assets than the PS5.

60fps IQ mode
Not worth it, barely any chances but *the assets quality on PS5 are of much higher quality.
In short
PS5 delivers a substantial better IQ in every mode, has some issue during a start of a race in 120fps because of it, but wins in both 60fps modes due better IQ, assets.
XSX employs shitty assets in every mode to win you over. It´s like Armstrong on a Bike! And you do not wanna be a guy with just 1 ball. PS5 has 2 balls thus its much better.

XSS has no balls, it´s shit, it´s garbage. 2 Weeks old and that shit is already OUTDATED!

"The XSS is a good machine for lower resolution display,
and i think it was always target as such in a way
"
John L. (Digital Foundry) 2020

Microsoft marketing
"XSS is a 1440p120Hz machine"
Reality: it is not a 1440p120 machine AT ALL
Xbox Series X is an up-to 4K console. Series S is an up-to 1440p machine. But there are exceptions. Some Series S games run in 4K or 1800p (Ori and the Falconeer) and most will run at around 1440p.

Like all consoles, it will depend on whether the developer favors prettier pixels or higher FPS.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The guy was connected to a 1080p, 120 hz tv so whose wrong again? Please don’t contribute to FUD, it’s a bad look.
I wasn't, don't cry. I was merely pointing out that the mode doesn't display unless connected to a 120hz TV. I made no other claims.

Provided by pr ? In last tweet he said "this discovery (faking ps4 as ps5 lol) costed me 60$". Liars can't keep up with their own lies
Isn't this a known issue people are having with the PS5 though? Downloading the wrong version seems to be a common thing.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Provided by pr ? In last tweet he said "this discovery (faking ps4 as ps5 lol) costed me 60$". Liars can't keep up with their own lies
You said John was wrong. Instead you were wrong therefore contributing to FUD. Try again next time.
He was wrong about the modes. That's what I said. But go cry more about your FUD.

OKDnv6m.jpg

assurdum

Banned
Your quite right, XSX is the most powerful console for mining, where TF matters.

For gaming, there are many other parameters to consider such as caches, wavefronts and how geeometry and vertices / primatives are handled......which is why people run games as benchmarks.

Unfortunately, the understanding of anything more than TF is too much for some who like simple numbers and its not worth explaining as they will never understand.
The people is also convinced the higher bandwidth will helps series X to push the perfomance well above the ps5 which is completely opinable. But it's more astonishing see DF (as example) or other people considered tech navy substain it constantly because it's really bizzarre how MS displaced the RAM configuration on series X and I wouldn't be surprise if it is more troubling than a benefit. Can't avoid to shake my head thinking how infinitely better would be series X with a true unified bandwidth. There isn't any benefit compared the more headache could cause their approach.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
At this point Sony just has the better product. More games, and the games that are common to both, generally performing better. Some of the XSX features do look cool like quick resume and some of the BC enhancing stuff, but pretty much everything else is a win for Sony right now. On Xbox despite it's cool BC method I just don't have a backlog either unlike what I have on PS5.. and BC is working great on PS5 for me as is.

And considering I paid $400 for one... also one that was 20% cheaper for me as an option.

I hope performance improves on XSX over time; but I also hope the same for PS5. They are close enough to where this isn't some huge problem for Xbox gamers, but... it's just not as good as PS5 at this point outside of some cool features. Considering PS5 also has DualSense and the "cards UX" concept, it has it's own unique wins as well.

Exanthus

Banned
Crazy how some xbox fanboys are going out of their ways to lie about the whole thing to tarnish DF and John's reputation.

Why would you assume he's an Xbox fanboy?
The guy clearly downloaded the PS4 version and apologized for his mistake.

Last edited:

aries_71

Sure, you will find plenty of cases in YouTube, but that’s not the point. I don’t recall seeing that many reports at Neogaf during launch, and I was visiting daily. I sincerely didn’t feel it was a problem then, but now it’s surfacing more than I would like to be comfortable.

Tripolygon

Banned
Why would you assume he's an Xbox fanboy?
The guy clearly downloaded the PS4 version and apologized for his mistake.
Same dude who tried to claim XSX version of Assassins Creed had a better draw distance using a low res PS5 capture. And here he is again trying to present a PS4 version as PS5 version. Something smells fishy and it definitely isn't TheGreatWhiteShark TheGreatWhiteShark

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

People are trying to FUD pics to disprove the DF video? Oh dear.

At leader Bo used the own DF video to disprove DF.

In other words you and other Sony "enthusiasts" are in this thread declaring the XSX flawed and inferior because of a game that you know is broken across the board?
And the moment you ask for PS5 fixes is coincidentally just after the devs announce that they fixed the XSX version.
Now you're trying to be a black ops warrior. Remove the camouflage, it's fine.
Which camouflage? I don’t have alt accounts dude.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You're right... MS lied, the Series X is just a rebranded Series S.
The MS PR lies has nothing to do with Dirt 5 others modes not being identical like you tried to claim.

PS5 has better AF, textures and performance in all modes expect 120hz where PS5 has better graphics, AF and textures with the unexpected better LOD models and worst framerate.

120Hz model on Xbox will be fixed to have parity in LOD models and so the framerate will tank because it will render more things.

You will come here to say.. I told you now it looks identical.
I will just say Yeap if you forget the worst performance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom