• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

Mattyp

Gold Member
Please be joking.

Not only will there still be paid online next gen but we will also be going back to the dark ages of proprietary storage next gen.

Nobody should be ok with this.

How do you believe we solve the issue then? Any USB storage system can't match the speeds they require (and you can still use if you want to) What other non proprietary system exists for plug and play with these internal speeds?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Beast system. Good to see MS reveal official specs.

Only drawback is SSD expansion storage is limited to 1TB cards? So if you have 3TB of games, you got to buy two 1TB cards? Hope MS pacthes this and allows higher capacity cards at launch.

Was it 360 or Xbox One that upped the external drive size limit in a patch?

lol. Turns out it's about 12.1TF. Where's that "insider" who claimed it was 11.6TF, but due to rounding MS probably said 12TF for PR, so they are going to be right after all?

Mista

Banned
only if you need to have installed 5-10 games at the same time...

with a good internet connection you can download 100 gb in a couple of hours anyway.
I have a 500mbps connection and no bro, I don't need to only have 5-10 games installed

If I'm playing those games frequently then I'm not going to install/uninstall every time just because I have fast internet

Shmunter

tenor.gif

GymWolf

I have a 500mbps connection and no bro, I don't need to only have 5-10 games installed

If I'm playing those games frequently then I'm not going to install/uninstall every time just because I have fast internet
you play a lot of multylayers and sport games?
it really is unimaginable for me having more than 4-5 games installed at the same time, and i have a far shittier connection than you...

different needs for different mens is suppose.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ummm werent we promised zero loading times? Or that is Sony's promise?

"First of all, even without really tapping into the strengths of the velocity architecture, just running old xbox games from ssd offers a huge time save in terms of loading times. As you can see here as we boot up state of decay 2 running on xbox one x on the left and series x on the right. Just to stress, there is no series x port of the game , this is the series x version, loading faster."

Flick

Banned

this is an xbox one game, not optimized for SSD and its an open world game. we were promised much shorter loading times and I think if devs optimize their games for SSDs there will ne no loading times

Last edited:

GymWolf

yeah that state of decay 2 example for rapid loading times make me laugh a little.
lucky for me i usually don't give a fuck about loading times.

Leonidas

Damn, 3.8 (SMT off) 3.6 (SMT on) is higher than epected CPU clocks.
Very good to see ray-tracing demo too, can't wait to see more.

First-Gen AMD 7nm PC (RDNA1.0, Ryzen 3000) is a joke now, a console is pushing nearly the same clocks and much better graphics capabilities.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
lol. Turns out it's about 12.1TF. Where's that "insider" who claimed it was 11.6TF, but due to rounding MS probably said 12TF for PR, so they are going to be right after all?

No. I’ll die on this hill, 11.6 (they will say 12, does this sound familiar?) and 12..4 this was what I was told months ago. From what I have seen, not heard. their is no gap in power and if it is it’s negligible. Be happy both consoles are powerful. BOTH are comparable to a 2080 super.

But sure, rake me over the coals because I said 16gb and didn't correctly know they were doing something that hadn't been done ever before, even though I also said they were doing something fancy with memory, SSD and the like all combined (Though I will let you off for this one, as it can be interpreted many ways).

Last edited:

pr0cs

Pretty fucking excited, Microsoft really has been on point with the release of information. Seems like they're firing on all cylinders for this next gen launch.

Now show me some games that I need to play on this system and I'm there day one

SantaC

Damn, 3.8 (SMT off) 3.6 (SMT on) is higher than epected CPU clocks.
Very good to see ray-tracing demo too, can't wait to see more.

First-Gen AMD 7nm PC (RDNA1.0, Ryzen 3000) is a joke now, a console is pushing nearly the same clocks and much better graphics capabilities.
By the time console is out, so are ryzen 4000 and big navi.

Last edited:
I love how I've been telling people that ports/remasters are history and now it's pretty much confirmed. Devs only need to enable PC ultra spec settings and release a patch, just like a Pro/X patch. The games will take advantage of the hardware.

Sony can't do their own thing here, they have to do the same.

And to be honest... this is how console reveals should be handled in the future. Have some respected guys talk about it, let them handle it down to disassembling. This hour (both videos) of content was better than any E3 console reveal in the past.

Pug

I find all the arguments regarding the TF number for the XSX prior to's today announcement to be somewhat confusing. Didn't Mr Spencer say the the XSX would be twice the power of XoneX at it's unavailing at the game awards? We've know it's been a 12TF machine since then, nobody needed to make the guesses such as 11.6 or whatever, we were actually told the spec by the head of Xbox long ago!

Shai-Tan

Banned
I was expecting the nvme ssd to be pcie 4.0 speed or something from how they were talking but its uncompressed speed is around the same as my 2018 budget nvme (Adata SX8200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus)? It's cool that games will take advantage of nvme now but ok... Maybe I don't understand something about compressed vs uncompressed assets that would give it an advantage over a regular pc with nvme

All_Might

This is a demo based on a game that was written for xbox one, it does not take advantage of newer read/write technologies for NVME SSD drives. The game engine still assumes its a standard hdd, simply a faster one, hence the reduces loading times. Now this is quite the impressive demo with significantly reduced loading times, yet do not expect the impossible. There is no such thing as no loading times in game development. When I introduce a new scene in our game, I have to load all the assets and files into the scene and that takes a little bit of time especially on xbox one hardware, right now we use a lot of tricks to bridge the loading times. With the new gen we can simply reduce a lot of these tricks and if we really optimize our games for those new ssd drives, loading times again will be significantly reduced. In my opinion the thing that bugged me the most are the streaming capabilities of those standard hdds.
So to summarize, for last gen games simply played on next gen, the zero loading times thing is very hard to accomplish, since there is no code optimization. For true next gen games developed from the ground only for the next gen, that could very well be the case, tho I dont think its going to be no loading times, but very short ones.

Kenpachii

Anyway microsoft aced there next box in my view. They didn't slack on any part besides maybe a bit to less ram 24gb would be better. I aspect sony to release with that just to have something to talk about.

Pretty darn dope box for sure.

chigstoke

Crikey

This was an unexpected info dump, but a very welcome one.
That is an extremely powerful console, and in a small form factor as well. I'm impressed.

Sony have to come out swinging now, MS are pulling no punches it seems.

Going to be a very interesting battle next gen I think,

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I know it was signed off a while back but Jesus did anyone think, you know what, use a different game and not a game based on the apocalypse this week. Otherwise a very impressive reveal Microsoft.

Into my veins..
Sony need to really show up with something crazy to get the pr crown back.
This, or an announcement from MS that the XSEX will cost 899..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MS taking advantage of the fact that everyone is at home and bored :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Your move, Sony! Do it!
Exactly. What's to hide?

Over the past year, all MS has done is do a video at VGA to show what it looks like and some internet articles about specs.

The system has never even been seen live at a show.

So as some people claim...... "We don't need stage shows anymore! Just do online videos and that's good enough!"

Ok, then spill the beans if you got the guts. It's not like Sony hasn't said anything. They did the first brief info session with a Cerny Wired.com article a year ago, and then vague spec info last Oct or Nov (the same day they fired somw studio employees). They even pasted that blue/white feature box saying UHD, SSD, etc....

So they've said info. Just not detailed info.

Last edited:

Leonidas

By the time console is out, so are ryzen 4000 and big navi.
What's out now on 7nm AMD on PC is a fucking joke. The fact that we know more about Series X GPU than "big" Navi is a fucking joke.
Anyone who bought any current AMD GPU will be forced to upgrade again this year to be on par with a console.
Current AMD 7nm on PC seems like garbage now that Series X is revealed.

Intel/Nvidia back in 2018 did better than AMD's seemingly garbage first gen 7nm...

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
I was expecting the nvme ssd to be pcie 4.0 speed or something from how they were talking but its uncompressed speed is around the same as my 2018 budget nvme (Adata SX8200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus)? It's cool that games will take advantage of nvme now but ok... Maybe I don't understand something about compressed vs uncompressed assets that would give it an advantage over a regular pc with nvme
It is PCIe 4.0.

Top Bottom