• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Hawk269

Nah, your brand of blind fanboyism has its own special ability to shit up threads with nonsense

Come on now, there is no need for BS like that. I have read a lot of his posts and what you are saying is so far from the truth. He took a lot of shit from people with his hope/faith/conviction that Scorpio would have Zen and a lot of people were so looking forward to his meltdown if it was Jaguar....well it didn't happen.

I wish it had Zen, was hoping for Zen, but it does not and I am fine with it since all the other things MS has done is damn impressive. Like I posted above, I just don't get the post like yours and making comments like "blind fanboyism". It just makes you look sad.

Yup, there is no special customization and no secret sauce. When it comes to companies making noteworthy hardware customizations in the console space, that usually comes from Sony as they are a hardware company.

So those ms employees are lying about using the hovis method and creating PIX for their customzation goals?

K. Tell me more.

notaskwid

How does it feel to have a game journalist write an article based on your posts, and then mix you up with somebody else? I've seen so many articles written based on "NeoGAF member said so and so in a forum post." lol.
Hey, once eurogamer made an article based an article on an answer that Shuei Yoshida gave me on twitter and he blocked me :(

badb0y

Wouldnt the size of a zen+vega apu be bigger than the jag+polaris? I seen someone post die sizes and it seems ms aimed for a certain size for cost reasons. 360mm right?
Nah, we are getting Zen APUs by the end of the year. The barrier was most likely price and availability but mostly price.

Jrs3000

I have read this article twice and the only things that stand out to me are

1. Delta color compression which is part of GCN 1.2
2. Improved GPU command processor to natively support high-level DX12 instructions.
3. Customised jaguar CPU

The first two being a fairly standard improvement in GCN architecture, second lacks details to know exactly what functions they are talking about, and the third being standard PR statement. The Xbox One has a customised jaguar, as does PS4/Pro.

Thats not to say Digital Foundry wont have more articles giving more details on more features. But strictly going by the above articles, you are wrong in getting the impression that Scorpio has more done than PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro actually has AMD Vega features.

Digital Foundry article on PS4 Pro enhancements over PS4.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297359

Watch the video too.

pixelation

The console warriors are now working to discredit Digital Foundry before the devastating multi-platform comparison articles hit.

To be honest they magnified performance differences between 360/PS3 versions of 3rd party games and reduced the importance of the performance differences between the XBO/PS4 versions of 3rd party games. That is a widely known fact, so it will truly be interesting to see how they paint the performance differences that are bound to occur with 3rd party games once the Scorpio comes out.

demigod

Come on now, there is no need for BS like that. I have read a lot of his posts and what you are saying is so far from the truth. He took a lot of shit from people with his hope/faith/conviction that Scorpio would have Zen and a lot of people were so looking forward to his meltdown if it was Jaguar....well it didn't happen.

I wish it had Zen, was hoping for Zen, but it does not and I am fine with it since all the other things MS has done is damn impressive. Like I posted above, I just don't get the post like yours and making comments like "blind fanboyism". It just makes you look sad.

His posts were fucking annoying because he heard from an MS rep who knows about as much as a forum community manager on it having zen.

Vaga

Honestly Playstation fans should be happy. An aggressive Microsoft makes Sony even better. Sony will absolutely not be playing any games for PS5, and that's the way it should be. Competition makes it better for everybody. As much as I wanted scorpio to be a beast (and it is) because I'm an xbox fan, I also know that it's going to trigger an insane hardware response from Sony at some later point down the line. This is exciting stuff.

Basically this. Not even remotely interested in Scorpio since no games but this is what MS needed to bring to the table in order to motivate competition. Hopefully the wait till PS5 is a short one.

Some posts in this thread are so ridiculous that they're actually quite funny to read.

giphy.gif

I honestly don't get it. And what kills me is they speak from a position of authority like they know what they're talking about. If it wasn't for a few posters calling out their b.s. average lurkers might actually believe them.

Metfanant

lmao...obviously you need to dig a little deeper into his post history...it goes way beyond anything related to Scorpio...

Blind fanboyism is a 100% accurate assessment of his brand loyalty

Uh oh. People are not going to like reading stuff like that. I mean it's just slightly more powerful than the Pro, right?

Great article though.
Depends on your definition of "slightly"

The gap between Pro and Scorpio is pretty close to the gap between Xbone and PS4 Amateur...

It's not as big as the gap between the OG Xbone and PS4 Pro...

So if you don't consider the difference between Xbone and Pro to be a big deal...then the difference between Pro and Scorpio won't be a big deal

I am hyped for Forza footage in next few days, horizon 3 is amazing, looks amazing on high end pc's and even og xbox one.

Its crazy that Forza has become the benchmark for MS

To be honest they magnified performance differences between 360/PS3 versions of 3rd party games and reduced the importance of the performance differences between the XBO/PS4 versions of 3rd party games. That is a widely known fact, so it will truly be interesting to see how they paint the performance differences that are bound to occur with 3rd party games once the Scorpio comes out.

So we're talking, what, a decade or more of anti-Sony bias? Damn. Yeah we should keep an eye on them.

When did they say it was as powerful? They didnt.

They did say that the console punches above its weight class, which is believable.

No it's not, not at all. A 6tf card can punch at a maximum of 6tf. There is no physics defying magic going on here. As it is with all consoles, the benefits gained are simply from being able to design and optimize your game around one hardware spec.

Man I just really can't understand how anyone can be upset about Scorpio. It's pretty cool that the industry has so many options coming out now with the Pro, Switch, and Scorpio. Sony will have their awesome first party exclusives and the Scorpio will be the best way to play 3rd party games on console. Everyone gets something

So it is going to obviously run better than the Pro but will it be significantly noticeable?

It should be at least at 4k.

Dizzan

MINI Member
No it's not, not at all. A 6tf card can punch at a maximum of 6tf. There is no physics defying magic going on here. As it is with all consoles, the benefits gained are simply from being able to design and optimize your game around one hardware spec.

The cloud!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is some old school spec nonsense and it's a good-ass read.

Makai

Also the ability to optimize your console's graphics API around fixed hardware.

Space_nut

So it is going to obviously run better than the Pro but will it be significantly noticeable?

Scorpio is the ForzaTech demo with the 4k assets and dynamic weather at 4k 60fps
Pro would be XB1 graphics (way lower res textures) static lighting 4k cb 60fps

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Uh oh. People are not going to like reading stuff like that. I mean it's just slightly more powerful than the Pro, right?

Great article though.

It's a little more than slight to be fair.

GPU alone is 43%, RAM and it's bandwidth increase is another 40 something %.

So overall, we're closeish to a 50% difference. I wouldn't call that slight. It's not HUGE, but it's not slight.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Man I just really can't understand how anyone can be upset about Scorpio. It's pretty cool that the industry has so many options coming out now with the Pro, Switch, and Scorpio. Sony will have their awesome first party exclusives and the Scorpio will be the best way to play 3rd party games on console. Everyone gets something

I agree. I like the incremental upgrades. I'd like a new system every 2 years (just like my phone cycle). As long as backwards compatibility remains, I don't see why people get upset. If you can afford to upgrade, then you have that choice. If you can;t, then you still get to play as you would have been able to if the newer model wasn't released at all.

Hawk269

His posts were fucking annoying because he heard from an MS rep who knows about as much as a forum community manager on it having zen.

How is it annoying when a Exec tells a fan something and the fan reports on it? I worked retail for 30+ years and been attending CES (before they spun off to be E3) and I have been told a lot of things from Execs that did not pan out. Just because he was reporting what he was told, why is that "fucking annoying"? Perhaps this person believed they would have Zen and things changed. Shit happens.

There are many posters here that posts things they are told and some come to fruition and others don't...does that make them all "fucking annoying"?

No need to be attacking people for no reason. My fear with the announcement and many others were as well was with people just not having common decency and respect for others. Many, many people are really happy with the specs and even "him" that was told it had Zen and had faith about it is still fine with what was announced today. I see no reason to be attacking people.

Tripolygon

Banned
So those ms employees are lying about using the hovis method and creating PIX for their customzation goals?

K. Tell me more.
PIX is Microsoft's profiler tool, Nintendo and Sony have their equivalent tools and some developers have their own in-house tools as well. As for Hovis method, I have never heard of it but the idea is every processor is calibrated to the motherboard which is a standard feature and operating procedure.

I honestly don't think anyone is upset at scorpio. It's the most powerful console to date and they are doing some wonderful things on the OS level that should be commended. My issue with this reveal has been and will always be the ridiculous comparisons made to cards in the pc space. I expected a simple objective preview from DF and what i got was a paid ad with some factual specs.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Scorpio is the ForzaTech demo with the 4k assets and dynamic weather at 4k 60fps

Okay thanks. Sounds tempting. I can never justify having 2 systems due to time limitations but it may be worth selling my Pro for a Scorpio.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Games made by MS should look insane on this hardware. Halo 6 4k dynamic 60fps

bring it on 2018

so what game do you guys think will be the first big DF face off between Pro and Scorpio?

Destiny
COD
Battlefront
Assassin

this is going to be 2013 type situation but reversed lol

Please proceed... provide us with evidence of this "fact."

It's a little more than slight to be fair.

GPU alone is 43%, RAM and it's bandwidth increase is another 50% (give or take).

So overall, we're closeish to a 50% difference. I wouldn't call that slight. It's not HUGE, but it's not slight.

I agree, I said 40-50% better.

The one wild card is how much better the CPU performs and how much their CPU to GPU offloading optimizations work (I'm skeptical the optimization gains will be huge).

Dizzan

MINI Member
I honestly don't think anyone is upset at scorpio. It's the most powerful console to date and they are doing some wonderful things on the OS level that should be commended. My issue with this reveal has been and will always be the ridiculous comparisons made to cards in the pc space. I expected a simple objective preview from DF and what i got was a paid ad with some factual specs.

What did you expect with an exclusive "reveal". It was always going to be like this. Make up your own mind at E3.

Hubble

I have read this article twice and the only things that stand out to me are

1. Delta color compression which is part of GCN 1.2
2. Improved GPU command processor to natively support high-level DX12 instructions.
3. Customised jaguar CPU

The first two being a fairly standard improvement in GCN architecture, second lacks details to know exactly what functions they are talking about, and the third being standard PR statement. The Xbox One has a customised jaguar, as does PS4/Pro.

Thats not to say Digital Foundry wont have more articles giving more details on more features. But strictly going by the above articles, you are wrong in getting the impression that Scorpio has more done than PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro actually has AMD Vega features.

Digital Foundry article on PS4 Pro enhancements over PS4.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297359

Um, a lot more than that. The stance on super sampling is amazing, the GPU specs, which definitely exceeded expectations, and much more.!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Wow, I had no idea that happened.

Reality is stranger than fiction, or I guess in this case the reality is fiction. Hahaha. GamingBolt wrote an article confusing you with RAD's Matt Pettineo. They've pulled the article now, but the headline said, "Ready At Dawn's Graphics Dev On Xbox Scorpio: CPU Upgrade is Not Huge or Amazing, won't be priced...[attractively]". lol.

http://linkis.com/gamingbolt.com/4BEOp

Then somebody talked to Matt Pettineo on Twitter and he was pretty upset that people didn't know he's a Rocko's Modern Life avatar guy, not Darkwing Duck! lol.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MyNameIsMJP/status/850091884588417024

Hey, once eurogamer made an article based an article on an answer that Shuei Yoshida gave me on twitter and he blocked me :(
Dude, I would be pissed! What a farce.

Actually, if Pro was using checkerboarding it would be able to have better lighting and effects by virtue of having to render half as many pixels with only 30% few flops.

Top Bottom