• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry to stop counting Pixels in 2022.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Timestamped below.

Summary:

- Richard's new year resolution is to end pixel counting in face/offs.
- To Richard, the final Output is more important than counting edges.
- John is looking into different ways to showcase differences in image quality.
- With checkerboarding, TSR, DLSS, and FSR, there is really no need to look at the native resolution.
- John calls Face/offs involving counting edges silly in higher end games that are pushing 4k.
- John brings up the switch and that they will continue counting pixels in Switch games because the resolution is so low.

I welcome this approach, but I am not sure why this wasn't brought up last gen when the PS4 Pro launched over 5 years ago. The checkerboarding was available on pretty much every game at launch but they continued to do these 'silly' comparisons from 2016 to 2021. Richard even brought up the PS4 Pro's checkerboarding solution so I am not sure why the change of heart now.

I am also glad that admitted comparisons involving edge cases, 1% minimum drops and literally counting edges during cutscene cuts was a silly idea all along. Even PC GPU comparisons put the average framerates over the 1% minimum drops. A face/off should focus on which game runs the smoothest and looks the best. If you have to pixel count or find the worst performing cutscene in the game to tell your viewer which console to go with then the difference is clearly not big enough.

P.S They will continue to do Switch pixel counts because the resolution is too low. With games like the Matrix Awakens demo struggling to run even at a low 1080p on the PS5 and XSX and significantly below 533p in the XSS in DF's own counting, they might need to bring out the pixel counter once next gen only UE5 games start to come out.

But how will we WAR!!!???

Prepare Get Ready GIF by Xbox

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
How are they going to articulate the differences between the SeriesS and XSX/PS5 versions then?

Are they just going to tell us the reconstructed resolutions? I guess its intent is the same, but knowing the native resolution is important.

Its odd DF are moving more away from strict technical analysis and more into the rhelm of reviews with a strong tech focus. I actually like both of these things, but I think they need to be clear in what content is.

Fbh

I'm sorry but how am I to know if I should enjoy a game on my console then?
Imagine I spend $70 on a new game only to find out later that there's this one cutscene where the dynamic resolution drops 10% lower than on the other console? Now suddenly I just spent $70 on an unusable piece of shit, and there's no refunds on console.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
How are they going to articulate the differences between the SeriesS and XSX/PS5 versions then?

Are they just going to tell us the reconstructed resolutions? I guess its intent is the same, but knowing the native resolution is important.

Its odd DF are moving more away from strict technical analysis and more into the rhelm of reviews with a strong tech focus. I actually like both of these things, but I think they need to be clear in what content is.
How is knowing the internal resolution important?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Gone are the resolution wars! Maybe they will just say, it looks sharper on whatever console it does?

series s to start punching with the big boys? Ps5 to win more wars thx to higher framerates due to the higher clocked gpu? Who really cares as everything will be delayed anyway and rushed out even with delays lhaha

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, if a game looks sharper and/or less aliased in this or that version, that will still be somehow articulated and shown, even if exact pixel/resolution isn't measured outside the devs themselves informing them it's such and such native/dynamic upscaled with such and such tech to whatever.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, it’s probably really time consuming to scan the many versions of a game and zoom in to get pixel counts at numerous points in a game, plus it’s not really all that relevant in a lot of cases. Image quality can often be more than just raw pixel counts.

sinnergy

If I had to guess, it’s probably really time consuming to scan the many versions of a game and zoom in to get pixel counts at numerous points in a game, plus it’s not really all that relevant in a lot of cases. Image quality can often be more than just raw pixel counts.
It can not ! Ryse 900p says so ! Better textures at 900p, BS! It’s about resolution!

We need war!

Last edited:

Skyfox

If they can zoom in without any processing then do back and forth swaps it should help determine which version is better.

I think they need to start getting measurements for input latency.

It's the right thing to do but their timing is very convenient. Resolution mattered so much for them from 2017 to 2020 (during the mid-gen years) and now suddenly for that generation it doesn't matter?

That's sad to see analysis moving "beyond" data.... I guess we live in a post data world.

I admit that sometimes pixel count does not mean much, especially when the count is so close or that dynamic resolution is used... However, we will be stuck with generic statements like "version X is a bit more blurry on my 85' OLED, no idea why!" They could remove the frame rate counter and just go with "somehow it seems that the last gen versions are a bit more chunky in their movement, no idea why".

DF will be more like King Trash Gaming this year!
Clown Suicide GIF

NickFire

This is how the plan will end up in the end:

DF:

Son, we live in a world that has pixels, and those pixels have to be counted. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. Fanboys weep for pixels, and you curse the counters. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that pixel count, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

You don't want the pixel counts because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want those pixel counts -- you need those pixel counts.

We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent counting pixels. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of knowing how many pixels that I counted and then questions the manner in which I count them.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a counter and count those pixels. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

Random enthusiast board moderator:

Did you order the pixel count?

DF:

I did the job --

Random enthusiast board moderator:

Did you order the count the pixels?!

DF:

YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT I DID!!!

Top Bottom