• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Sonic Frontiers - The DF Tech Review - Every Version Tested - PlayStation, Xbox, PC, Switch!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Text article:

-

- PS5|SX: Default mode is 4K/30 FPS with native 4K
- PS5|SX: Performance mode is dynamic 1800p/60 FPS and has good TAA. DF are baffled why this wasn't the default mode.
- 30 FPS mode has bad frame pacing.
- 60 FPS mode is mostly good with minor drops, VRR screen owners will benefit here.
- The only difference between the two is controller preference. Otherwise these are the best console versions at 60 FPS.

- One X and Series S both only offer 30 FPS modes.
- One X runs at dynamic 1800p, Series S targets 1440p.
- One X has higher resolution but Series S has enhanced visual features and much faster loading

- PS4 and PS4 Pro run at native 1080p. Base PS4 has worse performance than Pro, otherwise they're the same
- One S runs at 900p with some settings reduced further still over PS4 (trees etc)
- Curiously, PS4 / Pro also have some higher settings over One X like SSR and geometry but there is a massive gulf in resolution (1800p vs 1080p)

- Switch runs at 720p docked and 480p portable.
- Switch version is exceptionally blurry, missing a GI pass as well.
- Load times are also long. Generally it's .. bad.

- All 30 FPS versions have bad frame pacing.

- They briefly looked at PC version and the frame rate is max capped at 60 FPS.

4DozPP3.jpg

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
Text article:

-

- PS5|SX: Performance mode is dynamic 1800p/60 FPS and has good TAA. DF are baffled why this wasn't the default mode.
- 60 FPS mode is mostly good with minor drops, VRR screen owners will benefit here.
- The only difference between the two is controller preference. Otherwise these are the best console versions at 60 FPS.

- One X has higher resolution but Series S has enhanced visual features and much faster loading

- PS4 and PS4 Pro run at native 1080p. Base PS4 has worse performance than Pro, otherwise they're the same
- One S runs at 900p with some settings reduced further still over PS4 (trees etc)

4DozPP3.jpg

Grass gate.

May give it a spin, it looks nice on the SX and fun to boot.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I read the first bullet and said to myself WTF???

Then I read the next line, and no doubt DF (and I think just about everyone) would agree it should be 60 fps default.

SomeGit

Had to use cheat engine to remove that idiotic FPS cap on PC. Muuuuuuch better at 140+ fps.
I’d be careful to check if removing the framerate cap doesn’t mess up the physics, that was the case with Forces and Generations at least we’re going above 60 had an impact on them.

That doesn’t do anything, you don’t have any option for 60 on Series S even messing with System Settings.

Last edited:

AetherZX

I’d be careful to check if removing the framerate cap doesn’t mess up the physics, that was the case with Forces and Generations at least we’re going above 60 had an impact on them.
So far I haven't noticed anything amiss, tbqh.

Last edited:

Banned

ahaaaa I was correct! the aggressive TAA couldn't defeat me! 🤣

ok that is IMO clearly 1800p
the antialiasing is VERY strong here, but I found an edge to pixelcount and my count comes out to 1800p in that image. here

A8mj6Dy.jpg

8XgJarW.png

I counted 25 distinct steps with a 30 pixel ruler in a 3840x2160p output resolution

25 ÷ 30 = 0.8333333333333333
0.8333333333333333 × 2160 = 1800

so yeah, maybe it's dynamic tho of course but way higher than 1080p indeed

edit: just to make sure I made a horizontal res count too

iN3xFoB.png

again 25 steps on a 30 pixel ruler

25 ÷ 30 = 0,8333333333333333
0,8333333333333333 × 3840 = 3.200

so 3200x1800 is the resolution in that image, a normal 1800p no weird horizontal res scaling like some games do nowadays like the newer CoD games

Text article:

-

4DozPP3.jpg
Kind of wish we could uncap the 4k 30 mode I’d imagine it could be over 40 uncapped if the performance mode averages that high and would future proof the game for the ps5 pro and series x elite

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't think any version of this game looks particularly good (not really seeing what John seems so impressed with), but that Switch port is absolutely atrocious. Looks like the game running on a high-end PC, sure... Lol.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i think if someone put an effort in creating Sonic in Dreams, it may look and run better than this actual Sonic game.

shiru

Banned
Pop-in is atrocious in all versions. The Switch version could use some TAA to clean up the image.

Good lord that was the lamest "warning" message one could give /rant

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Kind of wish we could uncap the 4k 30 mode I’d imagine it could be over 40 uncapped if the performance mode averages that high and would future proof the game for the ps5 pro and series x elite
Why are you planning on buying Sonic Frontiers?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I am playing on pc, I can just tell buy the video footage here that the pc looks better than the consoles in over all quality.

shiru

Banned
I am playing on pc, I can just tell buy the video footage here that the pc looks better than the consoles in over all quality.
It's a pretty barebones port. Would've been nice if you could adjust the lod to minimize pop-in. At least there's 120fps (with mods)

Last edited:

Poplin

anyone know how to enable VRR on PS5 sonic? cant seem to get it to work. god of war works fine with VRR so im confused.

Arioco

I think devs have to work for too many platforms and don't have enough time/resources to optimize any of them.

Seriously, it's time for last gen machines to go and let the new ones shine.

anyone know how to enable VRR on PS5 sonic? cant seem to get it to work. god of war works fine with VRR so im confused.

If the game doesn't support it with the VRR option enabled then just force it for unsupported games and then it should work.

Make sure you are playing the native PS5 version though and not the PS4 version in backcompat mode on PS5 as VRR is not supported for PS4 and older games on the PS5.

Fbh

Imagine making a game where speed has always been one of the defining factors and being like "yeah the 30fps mode with bad framepacing should be the default".

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

CamHostage

I think devs have to work for too many platforms and don't have enough time/resources to optimize any of them.

Sort of, but... I really think that's mostly old-school thinking, that you would have dedicated teams working on versions to master each console.

Realistically these days, you design an engine (or pick an engine from what's available), it's built around the APIs and capabilities/priorities of the design target, and that's your game. It's more problem-solving than advanced to-the-metal software for each machine. If the tech works on Switch early on in checking that it conforms appropriately to the hardware's expectations, then you just make the game, every now and again re-checking a build to ensure you don't have a problem but otherwise it's mostly a last-sprint concern to get whatever extra percentage of maximized performance out of the machine; PS4 and Xbox One, probably you check or optimize even less. PC is actually probably the most troublesome format to deal with, as you've got so many things to check or build into the release.

Sonic Frontiers likely always had pop-in, from the time they agreed that their engine and the vertical slice were ready to greenlight for full production, to the final game available in stores, and it's not the PS4 or Xbox One or even Switch's fault that this happens.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Honestly the more I play.. the more i think its built off the PSO2 engine. Which would explain a lot. c ould be wrong though. It just seems to look simular at times.

Belthazar

Well, it would need a Switch version anyway so... Developing for PS4/X1 was definitely not that big of a deal.

Banned
The presentation is ruined on all platforms by the pop in. Woof.

the worst thing about that is that most of the things that pop in and out of existence are basically floating squares... you can't make it any easier than that to 1: render and 2: make super low detail LODs for that that look fine at a distance...
it's like 12 polygons per platform... that's all you need to make them look good from a distance... 12 polygons... that's nothing on a modern GPU

3cEphfl.png

MT2bmym.png

while they have more detail up-close they could easily be replaced by simple squares for far away LODs

let's say you need to render 300 of these square platforms at once at a distance, that would still only be 3600 polygons, which is less than the left pinky finger of some modern character models :pie_roffles: Noctis in FFXV has about 100,000 polygons alone

Last edited:

SomeGit

the worst thing about that is that most of the things that pop in and out of existence are basically floating squares... you can't make it any easier than that to 1: render and 2: make super low detail LODs for that that look fine at a distance...
it's like 12 polygons per platform... that's all you need to make them look good from a distance... 12 polygons... that's nothing on a modern GPU

while they have more detail up-close they could easily be replaced by simple squares for far away LODs

let's say you need to render 300 of these square platforms at once at a distance, that would still only be 3600 polygons, which is less than the left pinky finger of some modern character models :pie_roffles: Noctis in FFXV has about 100,000 polygons alone

The game popup is very selective plenty of objects are drawn fine in the distance, it's probably either an engine issue with the way it loads these chunks or a design choice to keep the horizon declutered. They could have still did it better, just poping out of nowhere looks awful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom