• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Retro: Virtua Racing Switch vs Every Console Port vs Model 1 Arcade!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Holy shit, there is Virtua Racing for Switch? Looks amazing too. Love the game so much. Spent a lot of money in the arcade, got it on 32X, and now on Analogue Mega SG.

There is just something magical in that non-textured polygon look.

img_22759jkmb.jpeg

img_2288kfj3z.jpeg

Skyfox

So if you get the Japanese version of the game are you limited in any way (like for multiplayer online)?

I’d prefer to wait for the European release but I haven’t seen a release date anywhere.

If they still had the source for this do they also have the source for scud race and Daytona? Those games need a remaster and console release. I came across a new arcade sequel to Daytona recently but there’s no talk of a port for some reason.

I bought Xenon Racer on switch and I’m still waiting on the version 4 patch.

And where’s ridge racer 8?

Fake

Coconuts drop.. Yeah. Is this color difference some 'color correction' sideeffect from modern graphic cards or just a redesign from those who created the remaster?

nkarafo

The Switch port seems to have the black dot at the top right of the screen. It's the same bug as the arcade running through MAME. Or at least i think it's a bug.

TLZ

Banned
I didnt realize the PS2 version was so much better looking than the arcade version, i thought it was identical apart from 60fps vs 30fps.
I never knew there was a PS2 version. It looks the best out of all these. 2nd best is the Switch version, although colors look washed out, likes there's a limited/full range conversion issue.

GenericUser

Looks amazing in motion. I always wanted that game on my genesis back in the day, but the module was way to expensive. I really dig the blocky polygon look. It's like travelling back in time where a tunnel made out of polygons was an amazing technical achievement. I wish sega would fully embrace virtua racing, adding more tracks and cars and release it on more platforms. These early model 1 and 2 arcade racers are on the same fun-level as something like mario kart and deserve more exposition.

Holy shit, there is Virtua Racing for Switch? Looks amazing too. Love the game so much. Spent a lot of money in the arcade, got it on 32X, and now on Analogue Mega SG.
There is just something magical in that non-textured polygon look.

As a genesis fanboy, I'm really tempted to pick up this console. Does it play x32 modules as well? Sad thing is I lost most of my genesis collection when I moved years ago.

Last edited:

Kazza

I actually prefer the new lighter colour of this Switch version (with the exception of the orange-looking suspension bridge)

stranno

I hope M2 can patch the colours because they look quite horrible.

The 8-player splitscreen madness still amazes me. It should be the second 8-player splitscreen ever done in a racing game (probably in videogames in general, aside some indie puzzles).

Even so, I still prefer the PS2 version, shading was great. Well, most PS2 AGES were really good ports/remasters.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It just shows how far we have come graphics wise over the last 25 years, when the Switch can do 8 player split screen, 1080p arcade perfect port of a once state of the art acade machine, on the freaking Switch!.
PS2 version still look the best, especially at higher resolutions on the emulator though.

molasar

Banned
I really dig the blocky polygon look. It's like travelling back in time where a tunnel made out of polygons was an amazing technical achievement.
That is why Racing Apex is appealing to me. Hopefully it won't end up like 90s Arcade Racer.

Sleepydays

Banned
This'd be a system seller for me if I didn't already own a Switch :)

Is there a demo of this on the Japanese eshop?

stranno

New Virtual Racing DX (not the regular one, featured in the DF video) i-Mode port (not sure if it's DoJa or BREW) footage, in very good quality (recorded using a Sharp SH-01C, since it has HDMI output).

i-Mode will be shutdown in 2026, but since November 2021 you won't be able to purchase new games/apps.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
i-mode was huge in japan in the 2000, imagine how many games will be lost forever.
At least, lots of J2ME games are preserved and still running on new devices.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So what is the definitive polygon racing game we can play on the newer systems? There have been lots of retro style games over the last 3 years it is getting confusing to find the best ones.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So what is the definitive polygon racing game we can play on the newer systems? There have been lots of retro style games over the last 3 years it is getting confusing to find the best ones.

Stunt Race FX on switch virtual console. Literally the finest game ever made

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Stunt Race FX on switch virtual console. Literally the finest game ever made
2WD motorcycle like a motha fucker. 🥳🥳🥳. Have already 💯 that game on original cart and VC. But from quick YouTube Fu it seems Hot Shots Racing is getting the most praise. Will try that.

Top Bottom