• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Retro EX - GoldenEye 007 - New Xbox Series X/S and Switch Versions Tested vs N64

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

John Linneman tests out the new versions of Goldeneye 007 that arrived recently on Xbox Series X/S and Switch in the latest episode of DF Retro EX. Are any of these emulated re-releases worth picking up, and how do they stand up to the legendary Nintendo 64 original in terms of visuals, controls and sound?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I remember Tom Cruise not wanting to lend his face to the Mission Impossible 64 game cause he said he didn't think the quality was up to par. I scoffed so hard as a kid thinking are you fucking serious, 64 bit graphics, idiot. This shit is photo realistic.

I may or may not have had a change of heart in the intervening 25 years.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

- All versions are based on emulation using modified N64 rom files, none are native/remastered code
- Switch: 720p, Series X: 2160p

- Xbox emulation is "more accurate" compared to Switch, but the higher resolution makes the low resolution art and textures more obvious and wobbling/Z-fighting issues
- Certain aspects of the rendering are accurate to N64, others are not. DF thinks it would have been better to downsample from 4K to a 240p buffer.
- DF shows comparisons with how it could have been done better with PC emulation (high resolution downsampled)
- Switch has its own unique emulation problems, textures are tiled incorrectly, fog is inaccurate.

- Goldeneye on N64 ran at 10 FPS in some missions.

- Xbox version: 30 FPS but can feel stuttery. However the stutter is neither FPS drop or frame pacing, it seems to be an emulation frame rate cap related issue.
- 4 player split screen runs at pretty good 30 FPS cap as well.

- Switch can have dips from 30 with frame time spikes, can dip to mid 20s in campaign
- 4 player split screen runs much worse. Seems to run at 20 FPS all the time.

- Xbox version has muffled music compared to N64, the sound emulation is not the best
- Switch version is much closer to N64

- Xbox has modern dual analog control schemes, so its easier to pick up
- Switch versions default controls are weird, the workaround is to customize controls heavily. DF gives their preferred control scheme in the video.

Last edited:

Fake

John did an amazing job at the intro. Kudos to you John.
Thats why I support DF Retro.

Deerock71

It's awesome to hear his son was having a blast with it at the end. I'm trying to convince my 10 year old to check it out.

Last edited:
That's crazy that it's not 60 fps. Emulators have been able to do that just fine.

Even crazier that they didn't just finish the XBLA version (and port it to Switch)

Top Bottom