• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 4 Remake - DF Tech Review - The Definitive Version?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

One of the greatest games of its era, Capcom was always facing a massive challenge in mordernising Resident Evil 4 for the latest generation of gaming hardware. So what's new and different, what's stayed much the same - and are we getting a polished day one experience? John Linneman has the DF Tech Review for you.

00:00 - Introduction
03:09 - Did they fix the demo problems?
08:47 - Comparisons with the original game
11:23 - How do the mechanics stack up?
19:05 - Wrap-up

Last edited:

Mr Moose

We'll have a second piece of content that goes into more detail regarding platform comparisons, but for now know that the PS5 version offers a slightly higher average frame-rate with more responsive controls but reduced image quality, while the Xbox offers a cleaner image with a wider VRR window to enjoy more demanding settings - but the deadzone issues with the right analogue stick are problematic.
🥛

adamsapple

Note: This is not a platform comparison focused video, this is more of a tech review for the game. A second video will come later.

- May be spoilers so be forewarned.

- Visually beautiful game but final game suffers some minor hiccups.
- Most issues in the demo are still present in the final game. The only thing that has been fixed is the broken RT reflections on the PS5 demo. All other issues remain.
- Resolution Mode: 2160p, Performance Mode: 1944p on both

- Implementation of CB rendering on PS5 makes it look much softer
- Xbox's overly large deadzone issue is also still present
- The 'strand' hair have visual issues with lighting and better turned off

- PS5 offers a 'slightly higher frame rate with more responsive controls but reduction in IQ"
- Xbox offers 'cleaner image with much wider VRR window which allows you to enjoy more demanding settings but feels much less responsive'

- Regardless of platform, visual quality is excellent thought not as revolutionary as the OG RE4 was on Game Cube at its time of launch

- Photo mode included

- Lots of talk about world structure, environmental changes etc.

- Rest of the video goes into comparison with the original game. Don't think that needs a full summary.

Last edited:

AnotherOne

yOHh7Ge.gif

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Shit. I was really hoping DF would do a platform comparison on day 1 to highlight which combinations of settings worked best for each platform. I know NX Gamer for instance recommended Fidelity Mode for PS5 with CA, Film Grain, and RT turned off as a nice fix for the problems present in image quality in performance mode - while still maintaining a fairly consistent 60FPS.

adamsapple

So is there a huge difference between retail and the demo as I wouldn't call 10 FPS or more a "slightly" better framerate on PS5.....

There will be a second video going indepth on all platforms visual and performance metrics later (today). We'll know for sure.

But in this video John mentioned, again, that the Xbox's bigger VRR range as a positive point. So, it sounds like both are frequently dropping frames.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Shit. I was really hoping DF would do a platform comparison on day 1 to highlight which combinations of settings worked best for each platform. I know NX Gamer for instance recommended Fidelity Mode for PS5 with CA, Film Grain, and RT turned off as a nice fix for the problems present in image quality in performance mode - while still maintaining a fairly consistent 60FPS.
John doesnt like to do those videos anymore. He thinks they invite console warriors and he doesnt find them fun to do. So he just focuses on comparisons with the older games and just stuff he likes in the game.

They might have one of the newer guys do the dirty work. Thats what they did with Dead Space, TLOU Part 1 and Callisto IIRC while John just did his own thing.

So is there a huge difference between retail and the demo as I wouldn't call 10 FPS or more a "slightly" better framerate on PS5.....
Maybe its the placebo effect, but Im seeing better performance than the demo on PC at least. I used to get some drops during the village fights to 55 fps in the demo but not only did i not get any drops but I also had around 90% GPU usage so definitely room to spare. I actually went back to confirm if i didnt have any settings accidently downgraded but they were identical to what I had in the demo.

If the final version is more optimized on PC it's likely more optimized on consoles as well.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
John doesnt like to do those videos anymore. He thinks they invite console warriors and he doesnt find them fun to do. So he just focuses on comparisons with the older games and just stuff he likes in the game.

They might have one of the newer guys do the dirty work. Thats what they did with Dead Space, TLOU Part 1 and Callisto IIRC while John just did his own thing.
Because they do. People here barely discuss the technology powering games but you'll see threads over a 10% advantage for one console or the other go for 10 pages. There are even a bunch of posters who do nothing but post in comparison threads and claim that they aren't warriors.

Banned
Oh, really? Who would've thought.

Tbh digital faultry should just stick with analyze of 400% zoom-ins, cuz they are bad and unreliable at everything else. Shame that real tech channels don't have even 1/10 of these hacks' views.

pixelcount yourself and proof them wrong or shut your clearly biased fucking mouth.

people like you are the reason every thread about tech derails

Last edited:

damidu

damn what to buy now.
was leaning to ps5 because of vr.
can’t they just patch this shit it sounds like a bug? though who am i kidding they didn’t even bother fixing simple controller settings.

PS5: Same resolution in both modes, better performance in all, RT fixed, better control, rescaling bug that makes you lose IQ

SX: Same resolution in both modes, worse performance in all modes, better IQ, control issues with dead zone, better VRR usage.

If they correct the rescaling problem on PS5 and the controls on Xbox, they will remain identical versions.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'd like to think that DF have done a thorough job of pixel counting for their final analysis. Fingers crossed performance is improved across the board, that would be lush...Now ....patch the xbox controls please!! Even though I know i'll be ok.

Banned
Is it worth in your opinion?

the bigger issue is VRAM, if you have an 8gb card you will have to run interlaced or reduce texture quality if you want to run RT, as the engine tends to crash once vram is filled too much.

most Engines don't have such an issue and might give you small stutters, but RE Engine really likes to crash if there's no vram left

Last edited:

GymWolf

the bigger issue is VRAM, if you have an 8gb card you will have to run interlaced or reduce texture quality if you want to run RT, as the engine tends to crash once vram is filled too much.

most Engines don't have such an issue and might give you small stutters, but RE Engine really likes to crash if there's no vram left

Depends on the GPU one has and the frame rate one targets.
But for most people it's probably worth it. It's not the best RT implementation, but it also isn't heavy.
I have a 4080 16gb and i'm ok with 60 frames.

Last edited:
In y'all opinion what's the best overall settings on PS5?

I'm playing with frame rate on
RT off
Lens+chromatic aberration off
Hair strands off

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Resolution Mode is shit on the PS5. I just came off from playing Spider-Man: Miles Morales’s “Fidelity mode” and it fucking butchers RE4 in every graphical way, but especially image quality.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Resolution Mode is shit on the PS5. I just came off from playing Spider-Man: Miles Morales’s “Fidelity mode” and it fucking butchers RE4 in every graphical way, but especially image quality.
Compare it to the Framerate mode and its a night and day difference.

No one should be playing this game in framerate mode on the PS5. XSX framerate mode looks almost like PS5s resolution mode.

spookyfish

“Definitive version” in my eyes will have VR compatibility, essentially giving us an updated Wii version. Here’s hoping that addition is actually happening.

PC for me, 1440p and I’ll play around with the settings to get decent performance and good visuals. If the game is that great then I’ll get it on a sale later down the line for PS5 providing the VR implementation is good.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
What are the chances Capcom makes a comment on any fixes that will or will not becoming for any of these issues

Lysandros

If he is truly genuine about this he should cease recommending specific versions of games due X or Y feature such as VRR in his twitter posts and while at it he should also stop posting summary lists which show which platform has won the most DF face-offs in two years.

Well I bought the game about an hour after saying I wouldn't..

If you have anything console equivalent or better the PC version is the definitive version by a mile.

Runs better, controls so much better (even with a gamepad with the extra framerate) & looks much cleaner IQ wise. There's not normally this big a difference between a game on my PC and PS5 but this time it's huge.

I played both console demos and the XSX controls like absolute shit and the PS5 version looks like it has a bad filter applies that makes everything blurry and anything with fine detail shimmer like hell - maybe Capcom are trying to make it more accurate to the GC version..

It's very good so far (chapter 4) if a bit easy.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If he is truly genuine about this he should cease recommending specific versions of games due X or Y feature such as VRR in his twitter posts and while at it he should also stop posting summary lists which show which platform has won the most DF face-offs in two years.

I know why you don't want this, because we know which way it leans.

Why should you be upset with John for Microsoft offering a more robust VRR option in their hardware. That's Sonys fault for not having VRR ready or not considering it's application properly this generation.

He should obviously offer an opinion on what hardware factually delivers a better experience due to its hardware capabilities.

Mr Moose

So PS5 is the way to go if you own both consoles right? Better controls for better gameplay.
Personally I'd wait a while before choosing, see if the issues get fixed for either of them.
If they haven't fixed the PS5 version in a few weeks I might get it on PC (and never play it).

Luipadre

Im waiting for a patch, but dont think they will ever fix the bad IQ issues. Picture quality looks bad, hitching everywhere, bad input lag, graphical bugs. Another unfinished game release.

Thief1987

Im waiting for a patch, but dont think they will ever fix the bad IQ issues. Picture quality looks bad, hitching everywhere, bad input lag, graphical bugs. Another unfinished game release.
93 MC tho. We don't have any standards anymore. Only stupid hype and FOMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom