• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - PlayStation 5 - The FULL Digital Foundry Tech Review

Damn I'm looking at all of these screenshots and just keep thinking how I would have absolutely 0 issues playing a game that looks like this.

Ignorance truly is a bliss.
cMX7T5D.jpeg

Imagine seeing FF7 Rebirth in the N64 era

Y all tripping, you guys got three options, play the game, don’t play the game bc of blurrrrrr and sickening 30 fps or touch some grass and grab some dog poo 💩.

Zuzu

It seems like this game is going to need a remastered version someday down the line lol. It's kind of funny that a remake will itself also need to be remastered.

eerik9000

So,

The week started with Sony, EA, et al announcing mass layoffs, project cancellations, studio closures which were largely due to their AAA game development budgets spiraling out of control.

Then, on Thursday, Digital Foundry released their FF VII Rebirth analysis video and complained about animations, lighting, etc. Essentially saying the game looks cheap and not AAA enough for them.

And now, a few days later in their latest weekly Digital Foundry podcast, all three panelists agreed that modern AAA development and its budgets are out of control, and that they wish there would be more smaller and simpler, "PS2 era graphics" games...

I like the DF guys, and I understand it is more nuanced and that their job is to analyise and point out flaws, but I wish they were more consistent in their messaging.

Bojji

So,

The week started with Sony, EA, et al announcing mass layoffs, project cancellations, studio closures which were largely due to their AAA game development budgets spiraling out of control.

Then, on Thursday, Digital Foundry released their FF VII Rebirth analysis video and complained about animations, lighting, etc. Essentially saying the game looks cheap and not AAA enough for them.

And now, a few days later in their latest weekly Digital Foundry podcast, all three panelists agreed that modern AAA development and its budgets are out of control, and that they wish there would be more smaller and simpler, "PS2 era graphics" games...

I like the DF guys, and I understand it is more nuanced and that their job is to analyise and point out flaws, but I wish they were more consistent in their messaging.

But nothing suggests that rebirth had budget much below other AAA games. It's probably in the same ballpark.

Porticus

So,

You know that those are two things that don't go together, right?

So much of the clutter would look right at home in a PS2 game and I have loads of examples in the spoiler below if you think I'm being unfair. The guns are my personal favourite but I'm sure you'll find something to love in there.

These are all examples of textures and models running through a main quest area that people literally couldn't believe their eyes they were seeing (I assume they meant that in a good way). Well I can't believe that models and textures of this quality are possible these days. I know it's a big game but if you don't have the resource to make good looking clutter just don't bother imo. This is what DF mean by inconsistent. Don't believe folks that are saying it's only one or two rock textures as most of the clutter in some of the big main quest areas looks laughably bad.

Still a great game - still 100% recommended but if this was a Western game it would be getting massive heat for this.

xMEOKXY.png
vG9IuzD.png
DnhYxRq.jpeg
nGPWpiQ.jpeg
qQNAyli.jpeg
Fc2NttH.jpeg
QjhBDLZ.jpeg
32uOdEC.jpeg
TZXmrZY.png
L4L8iJb.png
QPXi14j.png
JEpsGdc.png
SdKBX3Y.png
BDl0X75.jpeg
5UZrK95.jpeg
67b9NTV.png
pZbVMCa.jpeg
kTiuODq.jpeg
vu58sLj.png
mHss7rl.png
pVn80wy.png
v4ubH5b.png
hETuxEd.jpeg
6muuw3M.jpeg
Y4KhRQV.png
ShJrIzk.jpeg

But nothing suggests that rebirth had budget much below other AAA games. It's probably in the same ballpark.
The last of us part 2, Ghost of Tsushima and Doom Eternal all shipped in the same year as FF remake. FFVII Rebirth shipped last week where are the sequels to those other games!!??

Is Development time one major factor that contributes to budget?!

Bojji

The last of us part 2, Ghost of Tsushima and Doom Eternal all shipped in the same year as FF remake. FFVII Rebirth shipped last week where are the sequels to those other games!!??

That'a valid argument but like you said it's not the only factor in game cost. Japanese devs probably work many more hours and are more efficient than "work from home" western developers.

Last edited:

Porticus

Of course they bloody do. FFVII rebirth is clearly compromising on certain things to get the games shipped in a reasonably time.

That's not true, shitty texturing is not compromising, one can skip a polishing phase to get the game shipped in a reasonable time but having simply broken art is all kind of different matter and talks for a much bigger problem that simply budgeting.

Wasn't Factions supposed to be announced last year and a release date possibly for this year before it got cancelled well in full development?

That's not true, shitty texturing is not compromising, one can skip a polishing phase to get the game shipped in a reasonable time but having simply broken art is all kind of different matter and talks for a much bigger problem that simply budgeting.
Yes it is they need to ship the game in a reasonable amount of time while delivering a game of almost unprecedented scope and scale especially in the JRPG space. Presumably this map will be reused for part 3 which will introduce its own set of problems.

Something has to give somewhere they may have been able to solve this problem with more dev time or If they reduced scope. The fact that Remake doesn't have these issues is evidence for this.

The final game is just as wonderful and gorgeous to play as the demo suggested. Love the story, characters and especially the gorgeous cutscenes. What I am not as impressed with are the open world sections which showcase some appalling pop in that is just a constant reminder that, yep, my PS5 definitely has its limitations even when I am playing it as 30 fps in the so-called Graphics mode. It's not like everything suddenly pops into view, it's more little clumps of foliage that just magically appear just metres in front of Cloud and which could easily have been tweaked if the developers had polished the game a bit (lot?) more.

The good news is that this issue will likely be fixable in the PC version via Engine INI tweaks but after playing also FFVII Remake Integrade on my PC as well in DX12 mode for HDR (since HDR does not work with DX11) over the weekend will likely have unfixable stuttering that doesn't happen in the PS5 version at all.

Last edited:
The final game is just as wonderful and gorgeous to play as the demo suggested. Love the story, characters and especially the gorgeous cutscenes. What I am not as impressed with are the open world sections which showcase some appalling pop in that is just a constant reminder that, yep, my PS5 definitely has its limitations even when I am playing it as 30 fps in the so-called Graphics mode. It's not like everything suddenly pops into view, it's more little clumps of foliage that just magically appear just metres in front of Cloud and which could easily have been tweaked if the developers had polished the game a bit (lot?) more.

The good news is that this issue will likely be fixable in the PC version via Engine INI tweaks but after playing also FFVII Remake Integrade on my PC as well in DX12 mode for HDR (since HDR does not work with DX11) over the weekend will likely have unfixable stuttering that doesn't happen in the PS5 version at all.
Yes this will likely be the main problem on PC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So much of the clutter would look right at home in a PS2 game and I have loads of examples in the spoiler below if you think I'm being unfair. The guns are my personal favourite but I'm sure you'll find something to love in there.

These are all examples of textures and models running through a main quest area that people literally couldn't believe their eyes they were seeing (I assume they meant that in a good way). Well I can't believe that models and textures of this quality are possible these days. I know it's a big game but if you don't have the resource to make good looking clutter just don't bother imo. This is what DF mean by inconsistent. Don't believe folks that are saying it's only one or two rock textures as most of the clutter in some of the big main quest areas looks laughably bad.

Still a great game - still 100% recommended but if this was a Western game it would be getting massive heat for this.

xMEOKXY.png
vG9IuzD.png
DnhYxRq.jpeg
nGPWpiQ.jpeg
qQNAyli.jpeg
Fc2NttH.jpeg
QjhBDLZ.jpeg
32uOdEC.jpeg
TZXmrZY.png
L4L8iJb.png
QPXi14j.png
JEpsGdc.png
SdKBX3Y.png
BDl0X75.jpeg
5UZrK95.jpeg
67b9NTV.png
pZbVMCa.jpeg
kTiuODq.jpeg
vu58sLj.png
mHss7rl.png
pVn80wy.png
v4ubH5b.png
hETuxEd.jpeg
6muuw3M.jpeg
Y4KhRQV.png
ShJrIzk.jpeg

Great post, I'm also in the same chapter (Junon city proper) right now and the low resolution assets stand out.

Top Bottom