• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Lies of P - PS5/Xbox Series X/S Tech Review: 30fps/40fps/60fps Modes Tested - But Which Is Best?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Despite a heavy borrowing of ideas from Dark Souls there's much to love about Lies of P - a new Unreal Engine 4 effort from developers Neowiz Games and Round8 Studio. The technical execution here is on-point: we get a 30fps quality mode, a 40fps high frame-rate mode for 120Hz displays, and finally a 60fps performance mode with pruned back visual settings. PS5, Xbox Series X and S are put through their paces here, as Tom picks apart of the merits of each mode.

Last edited:

adamsapple

- Unreal Engine 4
- Video only covers current gen: PS5, Series S|X
- All 3 have 3 graphical modes. 30 FPS, 40 FPS (if you have a 120hz display) and 60 FPS

- 30 FPS Quality Mode:
- PS5 / Series X: Typically fixed 2160p, no deviations seen (but DRS always possible)
- Series S: 1440p
- Decent TAA resolve helps Series S IQ even on a 4K display.
- Visual details are broadly the same across all three.
- Series S has lower quality AO and some specific scenes have lower volumetric fog
- All 3 manage solid 30 FPS but suffer from erratic frame pacing at times

- 40hz High Frame Rate Quality Mode
- Even in 40hz, all 3 can suffer from frame pacing issues. However this is much better than the 30 FPS mode.
- DRS is also engaged: PS5 and Series X typically 1872p to 2160p. Series S typically 1200p to 1440p

- 60 FPS Performance Mode
- Default mode on all platforms. Removes the frame pacing stutters from all consoles.
- Some world objects (like flags) still animated at 30 FPS
- All 3 consoles deliver a "perfect 60 FPS line" across the couple of hours tested
- PS5 / SX drop to 1512p to 1800p.
- Series S: 972p to 1080p.
- Some settings like higher shading and volumetric fog are dropped on PS5/SX (they match Series S's Quality equivalent)
- Additionally, a nice looking simulated color bouncing lighting effect is removed.
- Despite that, this is the easy recommendation via DF.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I haven't watched the video but from my impressions Quality Mode is not stable, it a first for me to use Performance Mode over quality whether there are dips or not.
It's still more stable then the Quality Mode.

All 3 manage solid 30 FPS but suffer from erratic frame pacing at times
This is probably what I'm seeing

Last edited:

adamsapple

I haven't watched the video but from my impressions Quality Mode is not stable, it a first for me to use Performance Mode over quality whether there are dips or not.
It's still more stable then the Quality Mode.

DF recommends the performance mode. Quality has Souls like frame pacing issues (they even copied THAT :p)

Looks nice. I'll play it on quality mode on Series X. Not a fan of souls games but the setting of this one is likeable.

Series S got a nice version too. Good to see studios putting some effort for the Series S.

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

adamsapple

How is the game? I only know that it exists essentially

If imitation is flattery, Lies of P flatters the shit out of Bloodborne / Souls.

Blind Tom strikes again, didn't mention the soup carpet on X and not S (3:41).

The soup carpet just looks like a streaming hitch, it's fixed a second later in the same clip.

Last edited:
Now why i say that higher Resolutions on PS5 or Series X always matches or on Par with RTX 3060 is due this.

DLSS on 4K gives 70 FPS average at ultra settings. Generally if developers are porting games from PC to console or Console to PC they will have to deal with DX12 bottlenecks and CPU bottlenecks on DX12. On Higher resolution it reduces CPU bottlenecks.

welshrat

Bought this on PS5, I have it on gamepass on PC but the wife (who has platinumed all the souls games) didn't want to sit in the office despite us having nice gaming chairs each so living room it is. Looks great on PC btw

Darsxx82

DF recommends the performance mode. Quality has Souls like frame pacing issues (they even copied THAT :p)
It's not that bad, Lies of P is not a framepacing festival and that's why it's "erratic". Moments without framepacing are more common than those that do.

Overall, a very good result for all versions and good decisions when it comes to "balancing" to offer a locked 60fps. It hurts about the "erratic framerate" in the quality modes because it could have been a very round job.

adamsapple

It's just weird he mentions the paired back haze on the Series S (which the game looks great on) and just skips texture loading issue on X in the same section. Doesn't mention it later either at 9:19.

The haze is permanently not there, the texture is loaded before Pinocchio even flashes on screen. Just a minor streaming hitch like UE4 games tend to have.

BbMajor7th

Impressive technical turnout from a small team. The frame pacing is annoying, but hitting a locked 4K/30 and 1512-1800/60 (along with a 40 FPS mode) is something that much bigger and better-resourced studios have repeatedly failed with. They even managed to get a relative parity on Series S. I know it's not a technically ambitious game, but thanks to the strong art direction and technical finesse, it looks way better than games like Immortals of Aveum.

Lysandros

Is Tom getting paid for calling XSS as the "4TF machine" in every single one of his comparison videos? What's that constant pitiful attempt to emphasise the importance of this specific GPU metric while being quite and cautious about parroting the same regarding PS5/XSX?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Impressive technical turnout from a small team. The frame pacing is annoying, but hitting a locked 4K/30 and 1512-1800/60 (along with a 40 FPS mode) is something that much bigger and better-resourced studios have repeatedly failed with. They even managed to get a relative parity on Series S. I know it's not a technically ambitious game, but thanks to the strong art direction and technical finesse, it looks way better than games like Immortals of Aveum.

I think more than technical, it's the very strong art the game has that helps it look great while being cross-gen at the core.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

I think more than technical, it's the very strong art the game has that helps it look great while being cross-gen at the core.
True, but it hits a decent level of performance and they're targeting every current and last-gen platform (bar Switch) and PC. That's an impressive lift for a fairly big game. I've not encountered any bugs, either.

I also reckon they could get this on Switch.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Why does this game have a 30-40 fps mode? LMAO, if attacks swing animations were like 2 frames running at 90 fps, they'll end up banishing them, this must be the ultimate difficult mode lmao

Last edited:

Chronos24

Haven't noticed any frame pacing issues at all using 40fps mode. Granted I'm using VRR but still I really don't notice any performance issues at all in that mode.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just started chapter x on pc. Really flipping enjoyed this game. I urge anyone who loves bloodborne to give it a go. It's brilliant đź‘Ź

Fbh

Considering how it's 100% locked 60, I wonder if we'll see a future 120 FPS mode with lower resolution on PS5/SX.

Even at the same resolution, a mode with unlocked framerate would be nice for people with 120hz VRR displays. GOW Ragnarok had one (which stays in the 70-85 range most of the time) and it's pretty cool

Why does this game have a 30-40 fps mode? LMAO, if attacks swing animations were like 2 frames running at 90 fps, they'll end up banishing them, this must be the ultimate difficult mode lmao

Some people just love graphics and resolution above everything.
Even in just this thread there's already people saying they'll play in resolution mode even though they are being told it has framepacing issues and the 60fps mode is pretty damn solid while looking nice and running at a fairly high native resolution.

Top Bottom